What will the Coalition Cut?

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: What will the Coalition Cut?

Postby Psyber » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:42 am

Quichey wrote:
straight talker wrote:i think the gov said about 30million which will probably end up 80 million if you get my drift. Surely theres more important things to worry about in our country?
Yeah...climate change #-o
Yet they are ignoring the most effective method of reducing CO2 emissions, based on anti-nuclear dogma and problems with very old technology, and ignoring the French success..
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby tipper » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:05 am

Psyber wrote:
Quichey wrote:
straight talker wrote:i think the gov said about 30million which will probably end up 80 million if you get my drift. Surely theres more important things to worry about in our country?
Yeah...climate change #-o
Yet they are ignoring the most effective method of reducing CO2 emissions, based on anti-nuclear dogma and problems with very old technology, and ignoring the French success..

IMO i think part of the reason none of the polititians have suggested building nuclear power stations to replace coal and gas power stations is that they are all looking for a quick fix. it would take many years for a nuclear power station to be designed, a location selected and have it built and operational, let alone have several.

more and more, at both a state and federal level, and with both of the major parties, i seem to feel that it isnt about actually fixing the problem, it is about being seen to be trying to fix the problem. implement something quickly and easily, wether it is effective or not. a long term solution wouldnt be implemented in my term, so therefore i cant claim credit and leverage that credit at the polls.... once again that is my opinion only
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby dedja » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:50 pm

OK, ta.

Is this a straight capital outlay or will the govt receive any revenue from the NBN?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby Bat Pad » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:04 pm

dedja wrote:

OK, ta.

Is this a straight capital outlay or will the govt receive any revenue from the NBN?

Hard to say, who knows what kind of technology will be available when the rollout is complete in 7(?) years.

With iPads, Xooms etc. and new cloud technology getting more and more powerful by the month, access to the internet without mobility could be a thing of the past.
Bat Pad
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Q. » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:16 pm

Bat Pad wrote:
dedja wrote:

OK, ta.

Hard to say, who knows what kind of technology will be available when the rollout is complete in 7(?) years.

With iPads, Xooms etc. and new cloud technology getting more and more powerful by the month, access to the internet without mobility could be a thing of the past.

Wireless technologies will still require the high-speed, fibre-based infrastructure that the NBN provides. Wireless will not compete with the NBN, but compliment it.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Bat Pad » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:26 pm

Quichey wrote:
Bat Pad wrote:
dedja wrote:

OK, ta.

Wireless technologies will still require the high-speed, fibre-based infrastructure that the NBN provides. Wireless will not compete with the NBN, but compliment it.

Wireless won't require it to every home. The extent of the project is simply overblown for what is required.

And it is assumed that by the time it is rolled out that wireless technologies will require it.
Bat Pad
League Bench Warmer

Postby gossipgirl » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:27 pm

the only thing they are capable of doing is cutting CAKE :D
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1434 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby straight talker » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:10 pm

carefull gossip you say anything against the Labor government and there will be posters on here that will want to inflict pain on you by a thousand cuts with a blunt knife....... they are the best who can do no wrong....... :lol:
straight talker

Postby Q. » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:18 pm

Bat Pad wrote:
Quichey wrote:
Bat Pad wrote:Hard to say, who knows what kind of technology will be available when the rollout is complete in 7(?) years.

Wireless won't require it to every home. The extent of the project is simply overblown for what is required.

And it is assumed that by the time it is rolled out that wireless technologies will require it.

High speed wireless will require the rollout of fibre. It just isn't feasible to have a large percentage of people connect via wireless because of the high latency effect. Besides, many people will tap into wi-fi hotspots via their mobile devices, which will require a high-speed fibre network.
Q.
Coach

Postby Bat Pad » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:18 pm

Quichey wrote:
Bat Pad wrote:
Quichey wrote:
Bat Pad wrote:Hard to say, who knows what kind of technology will be available when the rollout is complete in 7(?) years.

High speed wireless will require the rollout of fibre. It just isn't feasible to have a large percentage of people connect via wireless because of the high latency effect. Besides, many people will tap into wi-fi hotspots via their mobile devices, which will require a high-speed fibre network.

All true today (but not to the extent of the NBN)

In 7 years?
Bat Pad
League Bench Warmer

Postby Q. » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:21 pm

Bat Pad wrote:
Quichey wrote:
Bat Pad wrote:Wireless won't require it to every home. The extent of the project is simply overblown for what is required.

All true today (but not to the extent of the NBN)

In 7 years?

In 7 years, scientists will use string theory to solve the high latency problems.
Q.
Coach

Postby dedja » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:40 pm

I'd like to hear what the alternative to fibre will be in 7 years?

This project will future proof the country for many, many years to come as the Telstra monopoly on its outdated copper based network is past its use by date.

Quichey is absolutely on the money ... you will always require a high speed backhaul network which can only be fibre, regardless of whether the network is ultimately delivered to the premises by fibre, wireless or copper.

The NBN is a licence to print money once built as the recurrent revenue from access fees, data use, etc will far, far exceed the capital cost of building the network over the lifetime of the network.

As a bonus we will hopefully get the structural separation of Telstra into wholesale and retail businesses.

IMHO, anyone who is opposed this project doesn't understand the benefits of technology.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby RustyCage » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:48 pm

dedja wrote:I'd like to hear what the alternative to fibre will be in 7 years?

This project will future proof the country for many, many years to come as the Telstra monopoly on its outdated copper based network is past its use by date.

Quichey is absolutely on the money ... you will always require a high speed backhaul network which can only be fibre, regardless of whether the network is ultimately delivered to the premises by fibre, wireless or copper.

The NBN is a licence to print money once built as the recurrent revenue from access fees, data use, etc will far, far exceed the capital cost of building the network over the lifetime of the network.

As a bonus we will hopefully get the structural separation of Telstra into wholesale and retail businesses.

IMHO, anyone who is opposed this project doesn't understand the benefits of technology.

Or just wants to bag the government because it isnt their choice or party in power.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Media Park » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:07 pm

I don't know if it's been mentioned on this page yet, but...

I was watching A-PAC yesterday arvo (don't ask me why), and the government produced information said that the carbon tax will reduce our carbon emissions by 30 million tonnes...

Now, I would be the first person to say that that sounds great, and to the voter with an occasional interest in politics, it would make me think, job well done...

Except that for the grand cost of $57 billion dollars... yes, 57 billion dollars, we will go from 570-odd million tonnes of carbon, to 540-odd million tonnes.

So a decrease of bugger all in the grand scheme of things, and one monumental cost...

So my way of thinking, by dumping the whole scheme, there's 57 billion dollars that the Coalition has found... 8)
Direct quote:
Wedgie wrote:I wear skin tight arseless leather pants, wtf do you wear?
Media Park
Coach

Been liked: 0 time

Postby redandblack » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:11 pm

Except the Coalition are locked into the same reductions, MP.

So they're still $70 billion behind, but they'll spend the same money on something they don't believe in.

As for the figures, where does the $57 billion come from and is that over the same period as the carbon reduction numbers?
redandblack

Postby Q. » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:20 pm

It costs who $57 Billion?

The Government will only have to find about $4 Billion overall (from the budget surplus) to fund the Carbon Tax, because the compensation exceeds the revenue by that much.

It will cost the Coalition $27 Billion to repeal the Carbon Tax, so it won't be as simple as you put it.
Q.
Coach

Postby Media Park » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:36 am

redandblack wrote:Except the Coalition are locked into the same reductions, MP.

So they're still $70 billion behind, but they'll spend the same money on something they don't believe in.

As for the figures, where does the $57 billion come from and is that over the same period as the carbon reduction numbers?

Yep, this is over the next twenty years (the reduction and costing), in the short term, the government figures has our carbon output going up.
Direct quote:
Wedgie wrote:I wear skin tight arseless leather pants, wtf do you wear?
Media Park
Coach

Been liked: 0 time

Postby redandblack » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:41 am

And your point about the Coalition saving this money when they have the same targets?
redandblack

Postby Bat Pad » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:19 am

dedja wrote:I'd like to hear what the alternative to fibre will be in 7 years?

Into every single home? This is required into every single home is it?

My wireless works fine, and in 7 years will be even more powerful and cheaper. So why would I glue myself to the spot?

So I won't be connecting to the NBN. Not sure why anyone in Adelaide will need to either. I can stream a movie on a Xoom in the heart of Adelaide without skipping a beat.

To be viable it requires a certain percentage of citizens to connect to it doesn't it?

I completely understand technology, I also understand that making predictions regarding it is foolish because of how fast it moves.

I don't claim to know what will or will not be possible once the fibre is rolled out, let alone when it actually is supposed to become commercially viable.

I also don't have a problem with essential Fibre being rolled out, but that isnt the NBN. It's scale is way overblown for requirements.

Government is not there to provide services that people can provide for themselves.
Bat Pad
League Bench Warmer

Postby Psyber » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:42 pm

The faster speed of the NBN will need to not cost much more than I am paying now or I won't bother.
I don't need more the the 10GB download allowance and 4.6Mbps speeds I'm getting now.
I'd take the faster speed if it cost about the same.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics