Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby bennymacca » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:18 pm

can't believe I'm about to say this, but there is a proposed policy of this government that I actually agree with, and that is finding a way to charge the GST on electronic purchases.

Seems like a no brainer and a significant source of revenue. And it is something that should have been charged all along, just that it was in the too hard basket.

It will suck for me given i do a lot of my shopping online from places like eBay and amazon, but I think its fair
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:24 pm

Q. wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Dr Karl is backing away from his Intergenerational Report videos.

I just assumed that he voted Libs when I heard them

Sounds like he's been hoodwinked.

Caveat emptor
He's been copping it big time on twitter from left wing ferals
Is he going to pay his fee back?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 726 times
Been liked: 1080 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby RustyCage » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:05 pm

He was convinced that the report would be independent and non political. Turns out it's very political
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby stan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:48 pm

RustyCage wrote:He was convinced that the report would be independent and non political. Turns out it's very political

Probably should have read it then.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Q. » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:57 pm

stan wrote:
RustyCage wrote:He was convinced that the report would be independent and non political. Turns out it's very political

Probably should have read it then.

most of it was under embargo
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby stan » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:40 am

stan wrote:This will be qn interesting budget. The IMF have predicted some tough times ahead for the glonal economy. With China starting to slow and there growth looking at dipping under the 7% mark it seems to be the catalyst now for a drop in iron ore prices. This will hurt our mining sector. This will really hurt.

Basically we nees to reduce the government's expenditure without killing off our own economic growth. Good luck with that!

Just to quote myself but it seems our Treasurer has also said the same thing. He will bring the budget back to surplus without hurting the economy.

Although these are obviously my thoughts as well, im not sure schools and hospitals are the first place he should be looking for savings.
stan
Coach

Postby bulldogproud2 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:53 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Q. wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Dr Karl is backing away from his Intergenerational Report videos.

Caveat emptor

Sounds like you have been reading different Twitter tweets to me. He was praised for taking the stand he has by most Labor tweeters. Even more so that he has decided to give his pay to charity. Once it was known that the LNP varied the document after Dr Karl made his advertisements, he was supported in his actions. As with Dr, Karl, no one expected the LNP to doctor a supposedly non-political document.

Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby bulldogproud2 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:56 pm

stan wrote:
stan wrote:This will be qn interesting budget. The IMF have predicted some tough times ahead for the glonal economy. With China starting to slow and there growth looking at dipping under the 7% mark it seems to be the catalyst now for a drop in iron ore prices. This will hurt our mining sector. This will really hurt.

Basically we nees to reduce the government's expenditure without killing off our own economic growth. Good luck with that!

Just to quote myself but it seems our Treasurer has also said the same thing. He will bring the budget back to surplus without hurting the economy.

Although these are obviously my thoughts as well, im not sure schools and hospitals are the first place he should be looking for savings.

Agreed re schools and hospitals not being the areas that should be cut.
Interesting that Joe has now stated he doesn't expect any surplus in the next decade. All this coming from a government that promised a surplus in their first year, then in their first term....
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Postby bulldogproud2 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:08 pm

bennymacca wrote:can't believe I'm about to say this, but there is a proposed policy of this government that I actually agree with, and that is finding a way to charge the GST on electronic purchases.

Seems like a no brainer and a significant source of revenue. And it is something that should have been charged all along, just that it was in the too hard basket.

It will suck for me given i do a lot of my shopping online from places like eBay and amazon, but I think its fair

GST is already charged on electronic purchases. All purchases that are from an Australian seller attract the 10% rate, just like if they were purchased at a shop. If they come from overseas, then GST is charged as normal if the good has a value of $1000 or more. As with all other imports, if they have a value of less than $1000, no GST is charged.

Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:47 pm

bulldogproud2 wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:
Q. wrote:

Caveat emptor

Sounds like you have been reading different Twitter tweets to me. He was praised for taking the stand he has by most Labor tweeters. Even more so that he has decided to give his pay to charity. Once it was known that the LNP varied the document after Dr Karl made his advertisements, he was supported in his actions. As with Dr, Karl, no one expected the LNP to doctor a supposedly non-political document.

Cheers

I meant before the change of heart bp2
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 726 times
Been liked: 1080 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby stan » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:25 am

bulldogproud2 wrote:
stan wrote:

Agreed re schools and hospitals not being the areas that should be cut.
Interesting that Joe has now stated he doesn't expect any surplus in the next decade. All this coming from a government that promised a surplus in their first year, then in their first term....

In fairness that was on the back of some pretty drastic saving measures that went ass up pretty quick.

Pyne just wrote and article for he Australian abouy how he is going to improve the education system. I agree with what he has proposed and believe it will improve the system. However with a reduction in funding he'll be struggling to keep the current level let alone making improvements.
stan
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:55 am

you think making people get loans that they will have for the rest of their lives will help the education system and society as a whole?

I am into my 8th year of a relatively well paying engineering job and i still havent paid off my HECs debt. Now imagine if my HECs was triple the amount, and indexed at something other than inflation. Would probably mean i wouldnt be able to afford a house as i would have my student loans to pay off instead.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby heater31 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:03 am

bennymacca wrote:you think making people get loans that they will have for the rest of their lives will help the education system and society as a whole?

I am into my 8th year of a relatively well paying engineering job and i still havent paid off my HECs debt. Now imagine if my HECs was triple the amount, and indexed at something other than inflation. Would probably mean i wouldnt be able to afford a house as i would have my student loans to pay off instead.

Surely you must be close? I looked it up the other day but a job paying around $70k takes out about $75 per week out for it. About $55 per week if you are on $60k.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby stan » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:04 am

bennymacca wrote:you think making people get loans that they will have for the rest of their lives will help the education system and society as a whole?

Talking about primary and secondary schools and the 4 pillars ideas that were proposed.

Higher education wasnt in that article.
stan
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:14 am

heater31 wrote:

Surely you must be close? I looked it up the other day but a job paying around $70k takes out about $75 per week out for it. About $55 per week if you are on $60k.

They take out around $200 a fortnight for me. Reckon I have around 5k left to go I think. I did a 5 year degree and had around 33k in debt if I remember correctly.

Think it should be paid off by the end of the year.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:15 am

stan wrote:

Talking about primary and secondary schools and the 4 pillars ideas that were proposed.

My apologies, just made the assumption. What are the proposed changes to primary and secondary schools? I haven't followed that part of it tbh
bennymacca
Coach

Postby stan » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:04 pm

bennymacca wrote:
stan wrote:

My apologies, just made the assumption. What are the proposed changes to primary and secondary schools? I haven't followed that part of it tbh

Robust curriculum, teacher quality, school autonomy and parental engagement.

My point was I agree with these broad statements but without additional funds I can see it going well.
stan
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:04 pm

That sounds like rhetoric to me. Doesn't everyone want that?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby stan » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:38 pm

bennymacca wrote:That sounds like rhetoric to me. Doesn't everyone want that?

Yeah pretty much and hence I would agree with it. Its my point which ties into an earlier post of mine about cuts to education in order to find savings in the budget.
stan
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue May 05, 2015 11:01 am

Just when I thought I couldn't hate him any more.....

PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10817 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics