Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby Magellan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:47 pm

stan wrote:
Q. wrote:I wish I was a fly on the wall during this conversation:

Donald Trump blasts Malcolm Turnbull

The Washington Post has reported – citing US officials briefed on the phone call – that Mr Trump told Mr Turnbull the agreement he struck with the Obama administration was “the worst deal ever”, and that by agreeing to it, Mt Trump was “going to get killed” politically.

Mr Trump also allegedly accused Mr Turnbull and Australia of seeking to send “the next Boston bombers” to the US in the deal, which allows for the US to take a reported 1250 refugees from Nauru and Manus Island.

Sources also reportedly told The Washington Post the conversation that was meant to last an hour was ended abruptly after 25 minutes by Mr Trump.

Mr Trump also told Mr Turnbull he has spoken to four other world leaders during that day and that “this was the worst call by far”, according to the report.

In fairness could you spend an hour on the phone with PM big Mal?
Be a hard gig to be honest.

True. However, Mal could talk non-stop for an hour, absolutely no sweat. Trump probably got sick of not getting a word in, and cut and ran.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby stan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:57 pm

Magellan wrote:
stan wrote:
Q. wrote:I wish I was a fly on the wall during this conversation:

Donald Trump blasts Malcolm Turnbull

The Washington Post has reported – citing US officials briefed on the phone call – that Mr Trump told Mr Turnbull the agreement he struck with the Obama administration was “the worst deal ever”, and that by agreeing to it, Mt Trump was “going to get killed” politically.

Mr Trump also allegedly accused Mr Turnbull and Australia of seeking to send “the next Boston bombers” to the US in the deal, which allows for the US to take a reported 1250 refugees from Nauru and Manus Island.

Sources also reportedly told The Washington Post the conversation that was meant to last an hour was ended abruptly after 25 minutes by Mr Trump.

Mr Trump also told Mr Turnbull he has spoken to four other world leaders during that day and that “this was the worst call by far”, according to the report.

In fairness could you spend an hour on the phone with PM big Mal?
Be a hard gig to be honest.

True. However, Mal could talk non-stop for an hour, absolutely no sweat. Trump probably got sick of not getting a word in, and cut and ran.

Now regardless of what we all think about the refugee deal, Turnbull has been nicely screwed over here. Not because Trump has issue with the deal but because it was Obamas deal. Now Trump asks why was it done, well mate you do favours for you allies like when Obama asked us for more input to the aerial assult in Syria and so forth.

Anyway, maybe Turnbull held his ground a bit. Probably more so what pissed of Trump.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1256 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby tipper » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:15 am

stan wrote:Anyway, maybe Turnbull held his ground a bit. Probably more so what pissed of Trump.

my thoughts exactly. Trump would have been expecting to have both sides back out of the deal "you made it with Obama, and hes gone so the deal changes" and i expect Turnbull politely informed him otherwise, hence the hangup. he probably expected to be able to easily bully Turnbull like he does his own staff
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby stan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:56 pm

tipper wrote:
stan wrote:Anyway, maybe Turnbull held his ground a bit. Probably more so what pissed of Trump.

my thoughts exactly. Trump would have been expecting to have both sides back out of the deal "you made it with Obama, and hes gone so the deal changes" and i expect Turnbull politely informed him otherwise, hence the hangup. he probably expected to be able to easily bully Turnbull like he does his own staff

Probably the case.
stan
Coach

Postby Magellan » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:37 am

Cory Bernardi set to quit the LIbs and set up his own conservative party.

At least he's got the balls to put his money where his mouth is. I guess we'll see how big the silent majority silenced by left-wing political correctness and eroded family values and climate change etc is. If he's got some traction out in the electorate he threatens to split the liberal and one nation votes. Emphasis on the 'if', though.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politi ... u63qx.html
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:56 am

Thought this survey was quite interesting.

Wondering where people on here fall, if you care to share.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/what-typ ... 203-gu57b2
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:06 am

bennymacca wrote:Thought this survey was quite interesting.

What were you mate?

Me, I think this is why a 30 odd question survey isn't much value, apparently I'm :

Anti Establishment Firebrand

Politicians interfere, don't listen and make things worse - and as a result, society has lost its way. So believe the Anti-establishment Firebrands, who are highly resistant of a 'nanny state'. They're strongly opposed to climate action and free trade and are sceptical of the benefits of immigration, instead favouring traditional values. They don't need life to be predictable or organised, and tend to care less about appearances than other groups.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7536 times
Been liked: 10848 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:58 am

Booney wrote:

What were you mate?

Me, I think this is why a 30 odd question survey isn't much value, apparently I'm :

Politicians interfere, don't listen and make things worse - and as a result, society has lost its way. So believe the Anti-establishment Firebrands, who are highly resistant of a 'nanny state'. They're strongly opposed to climate action and free trade and are sceptical of the benefits of immigration, instead favouring traditional values. They don't need life to be predictable or organised, and tend to care less about appearances than other groups.

So am I Booney
Not sure what my education, salary and post code have got to do with it
I'm going to change those answers and see what happens
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 728 times
Been liked: 1089 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:13 pm

Still the same
Attachments
image.png
image.png (76.47 KiB) Viewed 163 times
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Gozu » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:37 pm

“Cory is deluded,” says a Liberal Party colleague. “He is one of the least effective or important members of the parliamentary team. Cory is a person without any intellect, without any base, and he should really never have risen above the position of branch president. His right-wing macho-man act is just his way of looking as though he stands for something.”

“He wants to be some sort of conservative warrior but he’s not up to it intellectually,” says a Liberal associate. “In reality he’s like the kid in the playground who pulls his pants down so everyone will look at him, but he has no idea how he’s embarrassing himself in the process. He’s basically kryptonite for any serious person in the party because he’s a complete embarrassment.”

https://www.themonthly.com.au/cory-bern ... hbour-4327

At least Bernardi has finally grown a pair and is doing what he's been threatening to do for years in starting up a hard-right party. His beliefs were always a bit too extreme for the Liberal Party so having him out on the fringe where he belongs can only be a good thing really.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:57 pm

Gozu wrote:
“Cory is deluded,” says a Liberal Party colleague. “He is one of the least effective or important members of the parliamentary team. Cory is a person without any intellect, without any base, and he should really never have risen above the position of branch president. His right-wing macho-man act is just his way of looking as though he stands for something.”

“He wants to be some sort of conservative warrior but he’s not up to it intellectually,” says a Liberal associate. “In reality he’s like the kid in the playground who pulls his pants down so everyone will look at him, but he has no idea how he’s embarrassing himself in the process. He’s basically kryptonite for any serious person in the party because he’s a complete embarrassment.”

At least Bernardi has finally grown a pair and is doing what he's been threatening to do for years in starting up a hard-right party. His beliefs were always a bit too extreme for the Liberal Party so having him out on the fringe where he belongs can only be a good thing really.

Sounds like Pyne
Means absolutely nothing if he won't put his name to it
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby stan » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:32 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Gozu wrote:

Sounds like Pyne
Means absolutely nothing if he won't put his name to it

The issue with lashing out at him is that he is still a sitting senator and you will need to work with him, otherwise you will need to deal more with Hinch, Hansen, X and co.

It was like Pynes reaction to a few items that Hansen was talking about, you can be as rude and arrogant as you want but you need a way to form a working relationship and that has been a huge failure of the LNP in the last few years, the arrogance of we don't need to the minor parties.
stan
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:19 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Booney wrote:

What were you mate?

So am I Booney
Not sure what my education, salary and post code have got to do with it
I'm going to change those answers and see what happens

I'm the same.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11981 times
Been liked: 3658 times

Postby Q. » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:37 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:Still the same

I always saw you as a Lavish Mod-Con
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Psyber » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:06 pm

tipper wrote:

That's my take too.
Mal appears to have been very appropriate in not backing down under bullying and agreeing to cancel the deal on Trump's demand, and very proper and good mannered in not commenting on what was said until the US media sources spilled the beans first.

There is a tendency to criticise Mal for not moving his party sharply left on assuming the PM role as some expected based on his known past ideology, but a statesman has to try to hold his party together and reach compromise that makes unity possible. If that line fails after giving it a fair go, as there are hints it may, it will be interesting to see what happens once "Cory's Conservatives" are gone.

Perhaps the rest of the liberal Liberals can work something out with Nick X who has been getting steadily stronger in the middle ground.
Could it be a new Liberal Movement?! :shock:

I'd be amused to see a triangle like Conservative/National, Liberal/NXT, ALP/Green emerge.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby stan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:50 am

Psyber wrote:
tipper wrote:

That's my take too.
Mal appears to have been very appropriate in not backing down under bullying and agreeing to cancel the deal on Trump's demand, and very proper and good mannered in not commenting on what was said until the US media sources spilled the beans first.

There is a tendency to criticise Mal for not moving his party sharply left on assuming the PM role as some expected based on his known past ideology, but a statesman has to try to hold his party together and reach compromise that makes unity possible. If that line fails after giving it a fair go, as there are hints it may, it will be interesting to see what happens once "Cory's Conservatives" are gone.

Perhaps the rest of the liberal Liberals can work something out with Nick X who has been getting steadily stronger in the middle ground.
Could it be a new Liberal Movement?! :shock:

I'd be amused to see a triangle like Conservative/National, Liberal/NXT, ALP/Green emerge.

Apparently we will find out today about Coreys conservatives. Not sure how this will fall out, not hearing a huge amount of support for him here but then again he is elected for 2 terms so really hes probably not immediately chasing support.
stan
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:03 am

What does this move tell us about Bernardi?
Why would he leave the Liberals, but not go to Family First - they share a similar platform and he has connections to that party through Bob Day - which would at least give him an already established brand to build from?
Not a team player?

A further QWN, the Libs tend to have a lot more people leave the party/cross the floor. In fact, I can't remember too many ALP members at either state or federal level doing that, whereas Conservatives popping over to help the ALP are a dime a dozen. Does that say something about the structures of the parties? I'm guessing the centralised nature of the ALP prevents this from happening as much, as it could be political death.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:10 am

Perhaps even Family First isn't conservative / radical ( ;) ) enough for Bernardi?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7536 times
Been liked: 10848 times

Postby Magellan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:20 am

Dogwatcher wrote:What does this move tell us about Bernardi?
Why would he leave the Liberals, but not go to Family First - they share a similar platform and he has connections to that party through Bob Day - which would at least give him an already established brand to build from?
Not a team player?

Yeah, good question. Perhaps it's ego. With several months gallivanting around New York in the midst of the Trumpolution maybe Bernardi thinks he can emulate his success, since he thinks the silent majority are waiting to revolt.

Dogwatcher also wrote:A further QWN, the Libs tend to have a lot more people leave the party/cross the floor. In fact, I can't remember too many ALP members at either state or federal level doing that, whereas Conservatives popping over to help the ALP are a dime a dozen. Does that say something about the structures of the parties? I'm guessing the centralised nature of the ALP prevents this from happening as much, as it could be political death.

Well, they always say the liberal party is broad church, perhaps too broad for its own good. I think there's an inherent tension between the Menzian free enterprise-small government liberalist foundations of the party and conservative values. Whilst I think there's an overlap, at the broader edges I think the two are somewhat unsustainable.

For example, consider the rejection of legalised same sex marriage by the conservative wing of the Libs. Whilst one one hand it's an assault on family values and God's natural order of things etc, there's no sound economic argument for it (in fact, economically its probably a positive), nor is there a libertarian justification for governments regulating people's personal relationships.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:32 am

Dogwatcher wrote:What does this move tell us about Bernardi?
Not a team player?

Only a guess, but I think a certain business woman is probably funding it
Jimmy_041
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics