Andrew Bolt - is he a credible journalist?

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Does Andrew Bolt have credibility as a journalist?

1. yes
32%
2. no
52%
3. unsure
7%
4. don't care
9%

Total votes : 106

Re: Andrew Bolt - is he a credible journalist?

Postby Psyber » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:52 am

fish wrote:
Psyber wrote:I am not a climate scientist.
I thought so... ;)
Context please... "... but I do have tertiary level background in Physics and Chemistry. This enables me to read the papers, and look at the data and assess the validity of its interpretation to some extent."

I am also not a minister of religion, but that does not mean I cannot read the sources and analyse the various religious groups interpretation of them and make up my own mind.
Dogma is dogma, whether it is religious dogma or science dogma, and just because one interpretation is dominant [and PC] at a point in time does not make it the objective truth.
Time and more research will reveal - data from 1890 to 2009 is a very narrow sample of geological and climatological time to base so much "certainty" on.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby fisho mcspaz » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:58 pm

Andrew Bolt is a 'fright-wing' columnist. His job is to cause controversy, not report the facts, or even a tabloid version of the facts. He is allowed to write what he writes because a) the majority of readers love to hate him, b) by the same token, there are a certain few who love to love him and send 'Bolt for PM' letters to the Advertiser, thus generating further controversy and readers' interest, usually expressed by retaliatory letters to the Advertiser ('In reply to B. M. Bloggs from Mitcham, I am sure you and Mr Bolt would run this country into the ground' etc.), and c) the people that run the newspapers secretly agree with what he writes.
Hey Goose, ya big stud! Take me to bed or lose me for ever.
fisho mcspaz
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 111 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby redandblack » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:30 pm

Correct, fisho.
redandblack

Postby dedja » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:34 am

fisho mcspaz wrote:Andrew Bolt is a 'fright-wing' columnist. His job is to cause controversy, not report the facts, or even a tabloid version of the facts. He is allowed to write what he writes because a) the majority of readers love to hate him, b) by the same token, there are a certain few who love to love him and send 'Bolt for PM' letters to the Advertiser, thus generating further controversy and readers' interest, usually expressed by retaliatory letters to the Advertiser ('In reply to B. M. Bloggs from Mitcham, I am sure you and Mr Bolt would run this country into the ground' etc.), and c) the people that run the newspapers secretly agree with what he writes.

Yep, pretty much ...
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:04 pm

It must work though - he's the only "journalist" with his own topic on here
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 726 times
Been liked: 1080 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby dedja » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:07 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:It must work though - he's the only "journalist" with his own topic on here

true, that's the sad part
dedja
Coach

Postby Cambridge Clarrie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:17 pm

If it wasn't for people like Andrew Bolt, all we'd be getting reported is the Climate Change drivel being spouted from Penny Wrong and Kevin Dudd.

Climate change is happening. But, If we left things as they are and you came back in 200 years time your house on the esplanade at Glenelg would still be very safe. The climate has always changed.

Guess what, we have had floods, droughts and cyclones for thousands of years. History tells us that civilization flourishes in times of warmth.

There are a lot of people who stand to make a lot of money from the whole climate change business. The UN seem to have hooked onto it as a potential reason to justify their pathetic existence.

I'm all for recycling, using renewable energy and generally trying to be good custodians of the planet.

I'm all against the suicidal policies of the current government and in particular our Prime Minister who has, up until now, sought to big note himself on the world stage rather than consider the prosperity of the people he represents. I hope the people voting Labor are the first in line to lose their jobs.
"They do say, Mrs M, that verbal insults hurt more than physical pain. They are, of course, wrong, as you will soon discover when I stick this toasting fork into your head"
Cambridge Clarrie
League - Best 21

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby dedja » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:39 pm

That all could very well be true ... it's just that Bolt doesn't apply the expected journalistic skills required to debate such issues. He has a position and will selectively utilise facts to back up his argument, which ironically is what he accuses his opponents of doing.

So the issue is therefore not his views as such, it's the way he conducts the so called debate.
dedja
Coach

Postby redandblack » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:06 pm

Penny Wrong and Kevin Dudd.

Hilariously brilliant stuff :roll:
redandblack

Postby redandblack » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:38 pm

CC, we're all entitled to our views, but hoping people who voted Labor lose their jobs first reflects pretty poorly on you.

As for Rudd big-noting on the world stage, he's still got a long way to go to catch up with John Howard's travel agenda.

Not considering the prosperity of the people he represents is even more laughable. It's his Government's actions that have kept people in jobs better than almost anywhere in the world.

By all means have an opinion, but at least try and pretend to be rational.
redandblack

Postby Cambridge Clarrie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:43 pm

redandblack wrote:CC, we're all entitled to our views, but hoping people who voted Labor lose their jobs first reflects pretty poorly on you.

As for Rudd big-noting on the world stage, he's still got a long way to go to catch up with John Howard's travel agenda.

Not considering the prosperity of the people he represents is even more laughable. It's his Government's actions that have kept people in jobs better than almost anywhere in the world.

I don't think it reflects poorly on me at all. If people are going to lose their jobs as a result of the ets, and I think they will, I'd certainly hope it was those that voted the muppets in that went first.

As for Rudd saving the economy, I'd say he had years of liberal economic management to thank.

You know what they say about opinions - they're like @rsehole$.
"They do say, Mrs M, that verbal insults hurt more than physical pain. They are, of course, wrong, as you will soon discover when I stick this toasting fork into your head"
Cambridge Clarrie
League - Best 21

Postby southee » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:11 pm

redandblack wrote:CC, we're all entitled to our views, but hoping people who voted Labor lose their jobs first reflects pretty poorly on you.

You're kidding me???....this government has wasted all the good sound ecomonic management the previous government has done and put us so much in dept that in 10 years time if a GEC/recession happens again we are all screwed!!!!
:roll:

Great points Clarrie....
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 861 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Ruben Carter » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:26 pm

Cambridge Clarrie wrote:

I don't think it reflects poorly on me at all. If people are going to lose their jobs as a result of the ets, and I think they will, I'd certainly hope it was those that voted the muppets in that went first.

As for Rudd saving the economy, I'd say he had years of liberal economic management to thank.

I thought this topic is about Andrew Bolt? Not the views of a narrow minded, head in the sand, ignorant red-neck who probably still believes the earth is flat and Rudd was responsible for the Haiti disaster. Please !!!! give us a break...

I knew Bolt personally in High School, in fact sat next to him in Maths and Economics classes. He is a very intelligent person, a deep thinker and no doubt a very hard worker. He also had very little tolerance for anyone who held opposing views to his own on a range of matters, often correcting and arguing theories with teachers and others. He was quite confident and persuasive and some found it difficult to resist his apparent air of superiority.
It seems little has changed in 33 years.
If you don’t like my words, don’t listen. If you don’t like my appearance, don’t look. If you don’t like my actions, turn your head; It’s as simple as that.
Ruben Carter
Reserves

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 75 times
Grassroots Team: Westminster OS

Postby Gozu » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:57 am

Bolt & his far-right sheep continue their war on science:

"As a result of Bolt’s attack, a number of his readers sent abusive emails to Pitman. Some went to an entirely different, and presumably mystified, Andy Pitman. Bolt, to his credit, publicly asked his readers to desist.

In all, Pitman received 240 emails, including some threatening ones (one, evidently written from Irony Central, threatened him if he engaged in “personal attacks” on denialists). It’s not the first time Pitman has received threatening emails from denialists."

http://www.crikey.com.au/2010/01/28/sci ... l-attacks/
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby redandblack » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:15 am

southee, it was hardly good economic management. Boom times world-wide and he wasted it on middle-class welfare.

Your take on it goes down well at Liberal Party branch meetings, though.

The worrying thing about this poll is that 10 people think Bolt is credible.
redandblack

Postby mick » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:18 am

redandblack wrote:southee, it was hardly good economic management. Boom times world-wide and he wasted it on middle-class welfare.

Your take on it goes down well at Liberal Party branch meetings, though.

The worrying thing about this poll is that 10 people think Bolt is credible.

If what you say is true, why are other developed economies like, UK, Germany, Italy, France USA etc. etc suffering or where more profoundly affected by the economic crisis than Australia? Italy for instance has debt at over 100% of GDP. Credit where credit is due, say what you like about the Howard/Costello era in other matters, but in economic matters the country could not have been in better hands. The same ALP bullshit is also trotted out for the Menzies era in the 1950s early 60s that it was a boom time and any one could have managed the economy. I remember the damage done by Whitlam, "the recession we had to have" under Keating, BUT I am prepared to admit some of the economic reforms made by Hawke/Keating set the stage for the good times in the late 90s - 2007. As far as Mr Bolt's credibility less than an absolute majority don't think he's credible - go figure.
mick
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Cambridge Clarrie » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:22 am

Ruben Carter wrote:
Cambridge Clarrie wrote:

I thought this topic is about Andrew Bolt? Not the views of a narrow minded, head in the sand, ignorant red-neck who probably still believes the earth is flat and Rudd was responsible for the Haiti disaster. Please !!!! give us a break...

I knew Bolt personally in High School, in fact sat next to him in Maths and Economics classes. He is a very intelligent person, a deep thinker and no doubt a very hard worker. He also had very little tolerance for anyone who held opposing views to his own on a range of matters, often correcting and arguing theories with teachers and others. He was quite confident and persuasive and some found it difficult to resist his apparent air of superiority.
It seems little has changed in 33 years.

I think the Earth is flat analogy applies more to your position Ruben, being swept up by the Global Warming hysteria and blindly and unquestioningly following the masses. Baa, baa, baa...

Bringing the topic back to Bolt... It's obvious that a lot of people on here believe that anyone who has an opposing viewpoint is obviously not credible. IMO most points he makes in his articles are very valid.

PS. It wasn't Rudd who was responsible for the Haiti disaster. We all know it was Global Warming. It's responsible for all the woes of the world... :roll:
Cambridge Clarrie
League - Best 21

Postby Leaping Lindner » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:37 am

Whether you agree with Andrew Bolt or not (it happens I don't) he is not a credible journalist. A credible journalist would research a subject from both sides of the arguement. Not simply pick up one point of view and run with it. That having being said there are fewer and fewer credible journalists in this country as their employers use their work to cause debate/controvsary to sell more papers and advertising space.
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby Gozu » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:58 pm

Bolt goes arse up again, "What happens when Blogscience fails?":

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/purepoison/2 ... %a2-fails/
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby fish » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:55 pm

Gozu wrote:Bolt goes arse up again, "What happens when Blogscience fails?":

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/purepoison/2 ... %a2-fails/

:lol: Boltgate :lol:
fish
Coach

Has liked: 184 times
Been liked: 48 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics