Question - without notice

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Question - without notice

Postby Gozu » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:30 pm

redandblack wrote:I think your last few words echoes what I'm saying, scoob.

The question is whose fault is it?

The politicians. If they didn't resort to stuff like "stop the boats", "moving forward", "great big new tax", "working families" etc the media would have to report statements of substance. They've got a captive audience in the Canberra press gallery too so have no excuses.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby redandblack » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:53 pm

All that's correct, but I'd say the media reporting standards have a lot to do with it.

Politicians are understandably an easy target, but to label every one of them as bad is a bit simplistic.

I used to know Lynn Arnold, for example. He was a very promising politician, given the poisoned chalice of taking over the Premiership of the state after John bannon and the State Bank.

Since he left politics, he's been with World Vision and (I think) Anglicare, following his philosophy of helping those in need.
redandblack

Postby dedja » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:57 pm

It's all our fault ... we (the collective we being the electorate at large) encourage the behaviour of the pollies because they are now so wedded to public opinion (whatever that is).

The media is the same ... whilst there is some evidence of bais due to some of the ownership issues, in the end they too essentially play to their audience.

If people stop buying their papers, or listening/watching their radio/tv programs then their behavour would certainly change.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby Gozu » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:02 pm

dedja wrote:If people stop buying their papers, or listening/watching their radio/tv programs then their behavour would certainly change.

Not sure about that, there are just too many vested interests in covering politics now. ABC 24 is the least watched channel on FTA, Sky News doesn't get any ratings and The Australian loses money hand over fist for example.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Postby dedja » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:03 pm

There's certainly a chicken/egg scenario here ... do the media report the news or create it?
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby Gozu » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:19 pm

dedja wrote:There's certainly a chicken/egg scenario here ... do the media report the news or create it?

Report it but then create it when there's nothing to put in the space between the ads ;)
Gozu
Coach

Postby Sojourner » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:32 pm

redandblack wrote:All that's correct, but I'd say the media reporting standards have a lot to do with it.

Politicians are understandably an easy target, but to label every one of them as bad is a bit simplistic.

I used to know Lynn Arnold, for example. He was a very promising politician, given the poisoned chalice of taking over the Premiership of the state after John bannon and the State Bank.

Since he left politics, he's been with World Vision and (I think) Anglicare, following his philosophy of helping those in need.

Have wondered several times over what would happen if Labor actually got Lynn Arnold back again and set him into the Ramsey By-Election and put him up as the leader of the ALP, if that did happen I think with the lack of any real competition from the State libs, people would likely connect with his recent work with World Vision and vote him in, in a landslide!
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby Psyber » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:26 am

Part of the problem with politics is the fact that it is played to the media and the polls, and depends on short sound grabs and drama.
I've often thought we may get more serious debate and more serious politicians if the media were not involved.

This gave rise to my fantasy of a system in which 20% of electorates, and non-contiguous ones, came up for election each year.
Then, because it wasn't country wide and the electorates were not a block in one location, the national media wouldn't find it as exciting, and wouldn't be able to influence the results as easily. So, local newspapers and local meetings in town halls may become more relevant, and those elected may turn out to be more loyal to their local electorates than to party machines.

Perhaps we would get more independents, and negotiation and consensus would become more dominant...
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Psyber » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:34 am

Sojourner wrote:
redandblack wrote:All that's correct, but I'd say the media reporting standards have a lot to do with it.
Have wondered several times over what would happen if Labor actually got Lynn Arnold back again and set him into the Ramsey By-Election and put him up as the leader of the ALP, if that did happen I think with the lack of any real competition from the State libs, people would likely connect with his recent work with World Vision and vote him in, in a landslide!
Some Libs have had similar fantasies about Nick Xenophon - mostly those who know him personally.

I think Lynn Arnold was disenchanted with politics, that's why he committed political suicide with a half-hearted campaign and took the opportunity to do the state the favour of allowing the Grand Prix to be "stolen" by Melbourne. He probably feels he is doing more good where he is now.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:53 pm

dedja wrote:There's certainly a chicken/egg scenario here ... do the media report the news or create it?

*Peeps back into the politics forum*

I think quite often they create it. Without ACA or whatever show it was would we even give a shit about live animal export, more so would it have been in our thoughts/discussions? I doubt it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10815 times

Postby Q. » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:26 pm

Bat Pad wrote:
Quichey wrote:
Bat Pad wrote:
Quichey wrote:Politics is the coffee we drink, the clothes we wear, the people we love and the life we live.

You can say you just float along, but there is politics behind every choice you make. Everybody makes some sort of impact, whether you realise it or not.

I personally don't need the government to help me decide on any of these things.

You've missed the point. Politics isn't only about governance.

It should be in my opinion.

You would want the government to decide whether, for instance, you can eat cage eggs or free range eggs? That decision is indicative of politics infiltrating every facet of life.

We should be free to make informed and educated opinions...the responsibilities that come with democracy shouldn't totally be left in the hands of government.

Society has become complacent and what we have to show for it are indistinguishable major political parties and one of the worst press freedoms ranking among OECD nations.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby The Apostle » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:38 pm

Quichey wrote:Image

Which party would a centre right social and economic libertarian join???

That's what that website says I am...
The Apostle
League - Best 21

Been liked: 16 times

Postby Bat Pad » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:02 pm

It should be in my opinion.[/quote]

You would want the government to decide whether, for instance, you can eat cage eggs or free range eggs? That decision is indicative of politics infiltrating every facet of life.We should be free to make informed and educated opinions...the responsibilities that come with democracy shouldn't totally be left in the hands of government.

Society has become complacent and what we have to show for it are indistinguishable major political parties and one of the worst press freedoms ranking among OECD nations.[/quote]

No, that's my point.

Give me a break. One minute your posting about people being able people being able to post comments inciting violence against the government, now your saying our press isn't free. Can't have it both ways.
Bat Pad
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 1 time

Postby Q. » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:05 pm

Bat Pad wrote:Give me a break. One minute your posting about people being able people being able to post comments inciting violence against the government, now your saying our press isn't free. Can't have it both ways.

Pardon? When have I done this?
Q.
Coach

Postby Q. » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:12 pm

Besides, criticising something like concentrated media ownership and noting the inflammatory nature of anonymous commentary are two very different things.
Q.
Coach

Postby Bat Pad » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:22 pm

Quichey wrote:Besides, criticising something like concentrated media ownership and noting the inflammatory nature of anonymous commentary are two very different things.

Sure, but you were referring to a free press.

Free press refers to government control(or lack of) of media usually, thats how I took your comment.

The media ownership in this country is concentrated only in what is actually accessed, not what is readily available.

There are plenty of independent media outlets out there which simply aren't popular.
Bat Pad
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 1 time

Postby Gozu » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:57 pm

The Apostle AK wrote:
Quichey wrote:Image

Which party would a centre right social and economic libertarian join???

That's what that website says I am...

Shooters & Fishers Party? ;)
Gozu
Coach

Postby Q. » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:54 pm

Bat Pad wrote:
Quichey wrote:Besides, criticising something like concentrated media ownership and noting the inflammatory nature of anonymous commentary are two very different things.

Sure, but you were referring to a free press.

Free press refers to government control(or lack of) of media usually, thats how I took your comment.

The media ownership in this country is concentrated only in what is actually accessed, not what is readily available.

There are plenty of independent media outlets out there which simply aren't popular.

Refers to mainstream media.
Q.
Coach

Postby Q. » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:14 am

Does the media reflect public opinion, or create it?

The media is fond of insisting that its reporting reflects public opinion, what the people think and what they want. It rejects the notion that it creates public opinion, but might reluctantly concede it influences it. That it attempts to do so is undeniable. Its opinion pieces and commentary clearly express views that it hopes readers will back, and at election time it often endorses one side.

The thrust of this piece is that the media, particularly some sections of it, does set out to create public opinion, certainly to profoundly influence it, rather than simply reflect it as any proficient media outlet ought to do. Some do this in pursuit of a commercial agenda – to sell newspapers and attract viewers and listeners – but others have another deliberate agenda: to have their audiences embrace the same beliefs, attitudes and preferences that they have adopted. This might be relatively harmless in some spheres, but in political arenas it is tantamount to manipulation and indoctrination. We have seen, and are even more alarmingly seeing this in the political media in Australia where the agenda and intent of some outlets, notably the Murdoch stable and its flagship The Australian, is now overt and the subject of much concerned comment in both the Fourth and the Fifth Estates.
Q.
Coach

Postby redandblack » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:13 am

Have the political parties moved to the right?

http://www.smh.com.au/photogallery/opin ... -fhd6.html

Very funny :D

st, I'd say it's 'a classic', but I have to acknowledge it's only partly a joke ;)
redandblack

Previous

Board index   General Talk  Politics