What will the Coalition Cut?

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: What will the Coalition Cut?

Postby dedja » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:30 pm

Bat Pad wrote:
dedja wrote:I'd like to hear what the alternative to fibre will be in 7 years?

This project will future proof the country for many, many years to come as the Telstra monopoly on its outdated copper based network is past its use by date.

Quichey is absolutely on the money ... you will always require a high speed backhaul network which can only be fibre, regardless of whether the network is ultimately delivered to the premises by fibre, wireless or copper.

The NBN is a licence to print money once built as the recurrent revenue from access fees, data use, etc will far, far exceed the capital cost of building the network over the lifetime of the network.

As a bonus we will hopefully get the structural separation of Telstra into wholesale and retail businesses.

IMHO, anyone who is opposed this project doesn't understand the benefits of technology.

Into every single home? This is required into every single home is it?

My wireless works fine, and in 7 years will be even more powerful and cheaper. So why would I glue myself to the spot?

So I won't be connecting to the NBN. Not sure why anyone in Adelaide will need to either. I can stream a movie on a Xoom in the heart of Adelaide without skipping a beat.

To be viable it requires a certain percentage of citizens to connect to it doesn't it?

I completely understand technology, I also understand that making predictions regarding it is foolish because of how fast it moves.

I don't claim to know what will or will not be possible once the fibre is rolled out, let alone when it actually is supposed to become commercially viable.

I also don't have a problem with essential Fibre being rolled out, but that isnt the NBN. It's scale is way overblown for requirements.

Government is not there to provide services that people can provide for themselves.

With all due respect I'm not sure you understand how it all works.

How do you thnk the wireless towers are connected?

And just because you might be OK, there are many places (even close to CBD) where it isn't.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Postby straight talker » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:29 am

all i know is that it is going to cost us a huge amount of money like the carbon tax and there is surely better things we could be doing with the money. Is Australia really in that good of position financially that we can be blowing it on this technical stuff? Do we really need it? Would we be better off trying to pay some of our debt up instead of borrowing $100 odd million dollars a day?
straight talker

Postby redandblack » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:53 am

What's your analysis of our current debt position compared to other countries and to GDP, st?

What do you think of the Coalition plan to meet the same targets at a cost of $1300 per taxpayer per annum?
redandblack

Postby Bat Pad » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:28 am

dedja wrote:
Bat Pad wrote:
dedja wrote:I'd like to hear what the alternative to fibre will be in 7 years?

This project will future proof the country for many, many years to come as the Telstra monopoly on its outdated copper based network is past its use by date.

Quichey is absolutely on the money ... you will always require a high speed backhaul network which can only be fibre, regardless of whether the network is ultimately delivered to the premises by fibre, wireless or copper.

The NBN is a licence to print money once built as the recurrent revenue from access fees, data use, etc will far, far exceed the capital cost of building the network over the lifetime of the network.

As a bonus we will hopefully get the structural separation of Telstra into wholesale and retail businesses.

IMHO, anyone who is opposed this project doesn't understand the benefits of technology.

Into every single home? This is required into every single home is it?

My wireless works fine, and in 7 years will be even more powerful and cheaper. So why would I glue myself to the spot?

So I won't be connecting to the NBN. Not sure why anyone in Adelaide will need to either. I can stream a movie on a Xoom in the heart of Adelaide without skipping a beat.

To be viable it requires a certain percentage of citizens to connect to it doesn't it?

I completely understand technology, I also understand that making predictions regarding it is foolish because of how fast it moves.

I don't claim to know what will or will not be possible once the fibre is rolled out, let alone when it actually is supposed to become commercially viable.

I also don't have a problem with essential Fibre being rolled out, but that isnt the NBN. It's scale is way overblown for requirements.

Government is not there to provide services that people can provide for themselves.

With all due respect I'm not sure you understand how it all works.

How do you thnk the wireless towers are connected?

And just because you might be OK, there are many places (even close to CBD) where it isn't.

I understand exactly how it works. Im not saying don't connect the fibre for the towers.

Im saying that people in the cities dont need the governement to connect high speed cable for them, and it's not a requirement of government to provide individual citizens with superfast interent to their homes.

I am also saying that by the time the thing is rolled out wireless may be the better option (it is for many now), and therefore they will not even bother connecting to the thing. For you to say you know exactly how powerful it will be in 7 years is arrogant.

I have only ever said that the extent of the rollout is way overblown.
Bat Pad
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Psyber » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:37 pm

redandblack wrote:What's your analysis of our current debt position compared to other countries and to GDP, st?
What do you think of the Coalition plan to meet the same targets at a cost of $1300 per taxpayer per annum?
I've argued the view before that our being less overdrawn at the world bank than other more profligate nations is irrelevant.
In this current world climate I'd like to see us getting into the black and staying there for when the real collapse comes.

The Coalition plan - I'll wait to see what they come up with.
The ALP's fixing the deficit as promised - they are already warming us up for the announcement it will be delayed due to unpredictable circumstances.
Last edited by Psyber on Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby straight talker » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:22 pm

Psyber wrote:
redandblack wrote:What's your analysis of our current debt position compared to other countries and to GDP, st?
I've argued the view before that our being less overdrawn at the world bank that other more profligate nations is irrelevant.
In this current world climate I'd like to see us getting into the black and staying there for when the real collapse comes.

The Coalition plan - I'll wait to see what they come up with.
The ALP's fixing the deficit as promised - they are already warming us up for the announcement it will be delayed due to unpredictable circumstances.

R&B how bout you start to answer some questions that are put to you for a change instead of trying to pass the buck all the time?? Get away from you labour loving political spin,you been watching and listening to gillard and co too long.
straight talker

Postby dedja » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:03 am

Bat Pad wrote:I understand exactly how it works ...

Ummm, I don't think so.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Postby redandblack » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:46 am

st, please try to apply the same standards to yourself that you expect from me, please.
redandblack

Postby straight talker » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:25 am

here you go again trying your spin! and passing the buck how about providing fair proof and answers instead of posting things from the labor/carbon tax believer sites all the time??
straight talker

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:31 pm

anyone here go to the Libs SA conference with mr budgie smuggler??
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11940 times
Been liked: 3640 times

Postby straight talker » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:31 pm

rather see abbott in the smugglers rather than the red hen gillard thats for sure! :D she would need a circus tent. :lol: :lol:
straight talker

Postby Psyber » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:48 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:anyone here go to the Libs SA conference with mr budgie smuggler??
No, I binned my invitation because I had a more urgent priority on hand.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby straight talker » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:55 pm

when and where are labor holding theres? make sure there pollies are out of the hooker house or they can have it at the same venue!! :lol: :lol:
straight talker

Previous

Board index   General Talk  Politics