Occupy Melbourne

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Occupy Melbourne

Postby Booney » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:54 pm

Quichey wrote:Police brutality generally gets hippies moving.

Correct. Some might see me as a hippy in many respects and I'd get up and about if some police brutality was being offered as a "move along" initiative.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7526 times
Been liked: 10831 times

Postby dedja » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:11 pm

Booney wrote:

Correct. Some might see me as a hippy in many respects ...

not sure if you have the hair for it? :ympeace:

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:10 am

They wouldn't have lasted too long there when my old man was a copper.
Ahhh, the good old days.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3920 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Sojourner » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:39 am

Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:16 pm

Sojourner wrote:Occupy Wall Street Lego set!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtQKcM48 ... e=youtu.be

"Occupy my night stick..."
:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7526 times
Been liked: 10831 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:00 pm

Wedgie wrote:They wouldn't have lasted too long there when my old man was a copper.
Ahhh, the good old days.

The good old days was when this sort of activity was at its peak and judging by the Vietnam moratoriums and the visit to Australia by LBJ those involved didn't move on too quickly..
Today's lot are just pointing their finger at some sort of generality hoping it will stick.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Psyber » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:51 am

Dogwatcher wrote:
Wedgie wrote:They wouldn't have lasted too long there when my old man was a copper.
Ahhh, the good old days.
The good old days was when this sort of activity was at its peak and judging by the Vietnam moratoriums and the visit to Australia by LBJ those involved didn't move on too quickly..
Today's lot are just pointing their finger at some sort of generality hoping it will stick.
The lady who later became my second wife was involved in the Campaign for Peace in Vietnam, and joined the Quakers at the time.
She told me she got pushed and bruised a few times in the crowd, but was never arrested, nor assaulted, by police.

Her strategy was to not initiate violence herself and just speak to police quietly and politely about the law as it stood when confronted at the rallies.
Thus she avoided giving them an excuse to claim she was being violent and so had to be arrested/manhandled.
She said there were insincere hotheads posing as "peace activists" among the genuine protesters, and they gave the police grounds/excuses for aggression at times.

I was more self-interested, and stayed out of the front line, but wrote to MPs, and on one occasion - as a joke - to the USSR Embassy in Canberra.
(My return mail was opened and efforts were made to make it look like it had come undone in the mail accidentally.)

I freely admit my primary motivation was to avoid being sent to Viet Nam to take part in a war I thought was inappropriate and unnecessary.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Sojourner » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:08 am

Psyber wrote: The lady who later became my second wife was involved in the Campaign for Peace in Vietnam, and joined the Quakers at the time.

Interestingly Psyber in contrast to your own Salvationist backround, the Quakers are the only other mainstream Christian denomination that reject all Sacraments.

Another interesting observation I was told about the Quaker hall in North Adelaide is that the land its on as well at St Peters Cathedral was owned by a resident of SA and left in their will to "the church". Problem is the person leaving the land in the will was in fact Catholic. The story goes that it was contested in court and ruled that the Anglican Church was representative of the State Church, hence they were given the land allocation. I am told the Quakers eyed off the piece of land at the back and made the point that they too could be considered "the church" and were then also allocated the portion of the land at the rear of St Peters in the same way as the Anglican church was.
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Postby Psyber » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:57 pm

Sojourner wrote:
Psyber wrote: The lady who later became my second wife was involved in the Campaign for Peace in Vietnam, and joined the Quakers at the time.
Interestingly Psyber in contrast to your own Salvationist backround, the Quakers are the only other mainstream Christian denomination that reject all Sacraments.

Another interesting observation I was told about the Quaker hall in North Adelaide is that the land its on as well at St Peters Cathedral was owned by a resident of SA and left in their will to "the church". Problem is the person leaving the land in the will was in fact Catholic. The story goes that it was contested in court and ruled that the Anglican Church was representative of the State Church, hence they were given the land allocation. I am told the Quakers eyed off the piece of land at the back and made the point that they too could be considered "the church" and were then also allocated the portion of the land at the rear of St Peters in the same way as the Anglican church was.
That is interesting history Sojourner.
By the time I met my wife to be she was semi-jokingly referring to herself as a "spiritual Catholic" on the grounds that "The Church" had all the best music, which was what mattered most to her.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Sojourner » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:56 pm

Booney wrote:

Correct. Some might see me as a hippy in many respects and I'd get up and about if some police brutality was being offered as a "move along" initiative.

1. Hunt: They reckon you've got concussion – but personally, I couldn't give a tart's furry cup if half your brains are falling out. Don't ever waltz into my kingdom playing king of the jungle.
Tyler: Who the hell are you?
Hunt: I'm Gene Hunt. Your DCI. And it's 1973. Nearly dinner time. I'm 'aving hoops

2. Hunt: You're nicked for the murder of Delphine Parks, the rape and attempted murder of Nina Akiboa. Anything you say will be taken down, ripped up and shoved down your scrawny little throat until you've choked to death.

3. "Anythin happens to this motor and I come round your houses and stamp on all your toys" - good kids.
Attachments
hunt.jpg
hunt.jpg (160.82 KiB) Viewed 330 times
Sojourner
Veteran

Postby Leaping Lindner » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:36 am

Sojourner wrote:

Not quite. The land was owned by Augustus Short , Bishop of Adelaide at the time. If the story you have heard involves Short and a gentleman named Benjamin Da Costa I'm afraid it's just a good old Adelaide urban myth. :)
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Previous

Board index   General Talk  Politics