Uh Ohh Mary Jo

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Uh Ohh Mary Jo

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:04 pm

Has one of the candidates lost their job as a result of their candidacy?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Psyber » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:57 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Has one of the candidates lost their job as a result of their candidacy?
Are you referring to:
Due to her candidacy the State Director of the Liberal Party, Bev Barber, has stepped aside from that role to avoid any conflict of interest. An interim Director will be appointed shortly...
I gather she is the one Isobel Redmond signed the nomination for.

Apropos: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6417572105
If you want a seat you would normally approach someone well known to nominate you as it may have some influence on the delegates votes and may matter if it is close.
Similarly, if a local MP wanted someone like-minded to stand they would probably approach them.
So you could get a bunch of people nominated by various alleged "factional bosses" - but these tend to be fairly loose alliances not powerful standing "factions" in the ALP style.

When I was, briefly, interested in standing, back in 1996, I discussed the potentially upcoming seat of Heysen with Alexander Downer and he was prepared to nominate me when David Wotton eventually decided to retire.
Had I gone ahead, it may have looked like a "factional" fight between a Downer's man and the Evans backed Isobel Redmond.
But I was never aligned with any so called "faction" or ever likely to always agree with Alexander - we'd disagreed over issues numerous times already.
I don't think Isobel Redmond always agrees with Evans family who backed her nomination either

As It turned out my wife really didn't want to be an MP's wife, and a reason to move to Melbourne in late 1998 arose, before the vacancy came up.
Isobel and I have had a good-natured chat about what might have been had I stood.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:58 pm

Nope, another one.
I hear it's a possibility - rumour mill at work.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Gozu » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:29 pm

The Liberal Party has rejected a Senate preselection nomination from the managing editor of the Port Pirie Recorder newspaper.

A candidate review committee has decided it is not in the party's interests for Greg Mayfield's nomination to stand.

He had been among six candidates keen to fill the Senate vacancy to be created when Mary Jo Fisher leaves Parliament next month.

Mr Mayfield was stood down by his employer Fairfax Regional Media this week after he had planned to continue as newspaper editor during the preselection process.

He has declined to comment on his failed nomination.

A media ethics expert thinks Mr Mayfield should have stood himself aside from his job as soon as his political bid began.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-05/g ... cy/4111192
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Psyber » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:38 pm

There would seem to be an ethical conflict involved there.
Psyber
Coach

Postby Sky Pilot » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:53 pm

I believe the word on the street in Port Pirie right now is that Mayfield has been shafted by Fairfax and lost his job. I think he has been at the Recorder since the early 90's. He's a very good journalist and a very correct editor. The spelling, grammar, style, relevance, impartiality and newsworthyness of everything that goes out in that paper has to be spot on under his guidance.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:57 pm

He's now interested in running for Frome?

Also, be interesting to know if the new ed has a political leaning...
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Sky Pilot » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:23 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:He's now interested in running for Frome?

Also, be interesting to know if the new ed has a political leaning...

Who is the new editor?
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby Squids » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:34 am

The Recorder is carp.
Squids
Coach

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 205 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Gozu » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:18 am

IT’S been like watching your neighbours have a family argument in the front yard – fascinating to watch, despite the over-arching sense of embarrassment for them.

Tonight the State Council of the Liberal Party will end a month-long family stoush when it decides who should fill the Senate vacancy created by the resignation of Senator Mary Jo Fisher on grounds of ill health.

It will do so in a very public fashion, at the West Adelaide Football Club, where around 200 delegates to its State Council will hear final presentations from five candidates before casting their votes.

As well as the 200, there will be an estimated extra 200 observers from party branches and an assembled media contingent to complete the circus.

If this was the Australian Labor Party, the replacement would have been named in the same press release that announced the Mary Jo Fisher’s resignation.

It’s the Liberal way, however, that every individual who wishes to have a go, can.

The Party likes to kid itself that the factional organising of numbers is a peculiarly Labor tradition. It may be, but Labor’s way is a far less publicly damaging process.

The Mary Jo Fisher succession has been 18 months in the making.

http://indaily.wordpress.com/2012/07/27 ... te-choice/
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Postby Psyber » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:09 am

As I've said before, the Lib way is at least semi-democratic because it gives the general membership a say via the delegates they elect.
The "seamless" ALP way is organisational nepotism - power-broking behind closed doors.
It is interesting how different a spin one can put on the same process if motivated to do so..
(I've just turned the coin over to show they other side.)
Psyber
Coach

Postby Gozu » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:49 am

ANNE Ruston's Senate selection win to replace Mary Jo Fisher has become State Opposition Leader Isobel Redmond's loss, with colleagues privately questioning her judgment after her favoured candidate was trounced in Friday night's state council poll.

Bev Barber, who resigned as state party director to contest the Senate vacancy, received just 30 of the 207 votes to finish a distant third in a field of five candidates. Her nomination form was signed by Ms Redmond and Upper House Leader David Ridgway.

The Liberals now face the upheaval of finding a new director, with party sources saying Ms Barber cannot return to her old job.

Liberal figures have privately questioned Ms Redmond's decision to enter a factional battle over a federal position and to back a candidate who was so comprehensively beaten.

The loss of Ms Barber comes just weeks after Ms Redmond's chief of staff, Andrew Coombe, departed in acrimonious circumstances.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6437545961
Gozu
Coach

Postby Psyber » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:08 am

Another example of the media whipping up hysteria over an insignificant event to try to sell papers?
It hasn't caused a ripple the local Liberal branch.
Psyber
Coach

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:33 pm

What's this garbage I'm hearing that we the taxpayer are going to have to pay most of MJF's legal bills?
R.I.P. Patrice Lumumba 1925 - 1961
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby DOC » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:02 pm

She through her first lawyer (Michael Abbott QC) has asked for SAPOL to foot the bill for her shoplifting charge, of which she was acquitted and for many cases this is what happens.

However, how do you get a bill of $156,000 for a shoplifting charge (total bill was just over $200,000 with the assault charge)?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 743 times
Been liked: 2116 times

Postby heater31 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:06 pm

DOC wrote:She through her first lawyer (Michael Abbott QC) has asked for SAPOL to foot the bill for her shoplifting charge, of which she was acquitted and for many cases this is what happens.

However, how do you get a bill of $156,000 for a shoplifting charge (total bill was just over $200,000 with the assault charge)?

You hire a QC to defend you who charges $5000 a day and he spends roughly a month of his time on the case.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby fish » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:09 pm

heater31 wrote:
DOC wrote:She through her first lawyer (Michael Abbott QC) has asked for SAPOL to foot the bill for her shoplifting charge, of which she was acquitted and for many cases this is what happens.

You hire a QC to defend you who charges $5000 a day and he spends roughly a month of his time on the case.
Reminds me of the quote from The Castle about QC's: "they're the lawyers rich people use".
fish
Coach

Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby dedja » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:50 pm

that's what you pay for not pleading guilty ... or even better, just hand the goods back when you're approached outside the store.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 211 times
Been liked: 1032 times

Uh Ohh Mary Jo

Postby Dols » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:52 pm

Alleged thief and convicted assailant.
Dols
Reserves

Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Gozu » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:25 am

SHE wore an easy smile all day but, according to court documents, Senator Mary Jo Fisher wanted to be somewhere else.

The Liberal senator faced the Port Adelaide Magistrates Court yesterday charged with shoplifting.

Prosecutors have alleged that she stole $60 worth of groceries from Coles at West Lakes.

The accusation prompted Senator Fisher's resignation from politics, which takes effect next Friday.

Yesterday's court date was a high-profile public appearance the outgoing senator had tried to delay.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/ex-senato ... 6441152278
Gozu
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics