Is it over for Rann?

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Is it over for Rann?

Postby Bum Crack » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:11 pm

interested observer wrote:
Psyber wrote:
Bum Crack wrote: You're kidding me. You didn't read another bloody survey???
Reading is a common relaxation in some circles... ;)
For Grade 7 I went to a new primary school [Croydon] and I'd read the entire school library by October, as well as several newly published books that came out that year.

:-B :-B

:lol: :lol: :lol:
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 322 times
Been liked: 901 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:21 pm

Bum Crack went to a new school in Grade 7 as well, and had burnt it all down by October
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1140 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Psyber » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:22 pm

Psyber wrote:
For Grade 7 I went to a new primary school [Croydon] and I'd read the entire school library by October, as well as several newly published books that came out that year.
I'm proud to be a "nerd" if being interested in many things makes me one..
But, I don't wear glasses, and wasn't only a bookworm - I was in my school hockey team and played lunch time Soccer, and I was the Uni Fencing team too.
I'll compound my crimes by admitting, too, that at high school I was VP of the Debating Society and the Camera Club and assistant stage manager when we produced "Hamlet".
Provokingly yours, Psyber. 8) :lol:

[Of course being VP of the Camera Club did give me the key to the dark room...]
Last edited by Psyber on Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 397 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Bum Crack » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:25 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:Bum Crack went to a new school in Grade 7 as well, and had burnt it all down by October

You've got me mixed up with someone else. I only made it to Grade 5 :D
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 322 times
Been liked: 901 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Squawk » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:26 pm

Psyber wrote:For Grade 7 I went to a new primary school [Croydon] and I'd read the entire school library by October, as well as several newly published books that came out that year.

So Psyber, how big was the library at Croydon primary school? Two books and a years subsciptions of Readers Digest? :lol:
Steve Bradbury and Michael Milton. Aussie Legends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnztSjUB2U
Squawk
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby interested observer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:33 pm

Psyber wrote:
Psyber wrote:
I'm proud to be a "nerd" if being interested in many things makes me one..
But, I don't wear glasses, and wasn't only a bookworm - I was in my school hockey team and played lunch time Soccer, and I was the Uni Fencing team too.
I'll compound my crimes by admitting, too, that at high school I was VP of the Debating Society and the Camera Club and assistant stage manager when we produced "Hamlet".
Provokingly yours, Psyber. 8) :lol:

[Of course being VP of the Camera Club did give me the key to the dark room...]

Mate, we are what we are...
If that's what floats your boat, then good for you..
There is a bit of "nerd" in all of us, I am sure. :shock:
interested observer
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 1 time

Postby Psyber » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:37 pm

Squawk wrote:
Psyber wrote:For Grade 7 I went to a new primary school [Croydon] and I'd read the entire school library by October, as well as several newly published books that came out that year.
So Psyber, how big was the library at Croydon primary school? Two books and a years subscriptions of Readers Digest? :lol:
A standard wooden classroom with two walls of bookshelves I think, all fairly light stuff but not magazines.
I kept getting sent to the library every time I finished, too early, the stuff the teacher set in class to keep us quiet while he marked books.
It didn't exactly make me popular with him - especially when I started protesting that I'd read the Library - the other kids got a giggle out of it though. :lol:
He eventually took to saying, "Well, just go and read one again!"

We had the Readers Digest at home, and my sister subscribed to the Saturday Evening Post. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Saturday_Evening_Post
I think I didn't tackle the complete works of George Bernard Shaw until I was 16.
Psyber
Coach

Postby dedja » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:18 pm

Only Psyber can answer a taking the piss question with a serious answer ... :lol:
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

This post has not been approved by Dave from Alberton.
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 385 times
Been liked: 1203 times

Postby dedja » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:43 pm

Psyber wrote:I'll compound my crimes by admitting, too, that at high school I was VP of the Debating Society ...

Mass Debater? :-?

:lol:

dedja
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:40 am

dedja's been out to lunch, me thinks
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Psyber » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:46 am

dedja wrote:Only Psyber can answer a taking the piss question with a serious answer ... :lol:
Sometimes it is hard to tell whether someone is taking the piss or not, so I treat them seriously and with respect if there is any doubt about it - it is a lot easier to tell anyone's intent face to face..
Of course, sometimes I choose to stir by responding seriously even if I think they are taking the piss. ;)
Psyber
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:19 am

Rann sweetens electorate with power, water handouts
Greg Kelton
The Advertiser February 17, 2010 12:00AM

The State Government is promising up to $98 a year extra to help elderly and low-income earners cope with rising utility bills - its $60 million first salvo in the election campaign.
More than 235,000 South Australians would get the increased energy bill concessions under the move announced by Premier Mike Rann yesterday, setting the scene for a spree of spending promises leading up to the March 20 poll.

All concessions would increase by 5 per cent each year on July 1, until 2012. Water bill relief would increase from $160 to $185 for renters and from $200 to $232 for owner-occupiers.

It is the biggest election bid so far even though the campaign will not officially begin until Saturday, when the Governor, Rear Admiral Kevin Scarce, issues the writs. Both major parties have engaged in an electoral bidding war in recent weeks, with promises on land tax relief and also rescue packages for the drought-stricken Riverland.

Low Income Health Care cardholders and those assessed by the Families and Communities Department as being low-income earners would be deemed eligible.

The proposal would lift energy bill concessions from $120 to $165 by 2012-13. Water concessions for tenants would go from $160 to $185, water concessions for owner-occupiers from $200 to $232, sewerage from $95 to $110, and Emergency Service Levy concession on property from $40 to $46.

The increased concessions would cost $12.9 million in the 2009-10 financial year, $16.6 million in 2011-12 and $20.5 million in 2012-13.

Government data shows 215,000 people receive the energy concession, 130,000 owner-occupiers and 35,000 tenants get the water concessions, and 130,000 people get the sewerage concessions.

Mr Rann said the Government's plan had been fully costed and the aim had always been to provide relief when the Government could afford it.

"We have been rigorous in our costings, which contrasts us with our opponents who are making spending after spending promises," he said. "They are promising everything to everyone but never explaining how they are going to fund them."

It is understood the Government has a huge "war chest" of contingency funds in Treasury and would be able to tap into this to help fund its election promises.

There will be a steady stream of targeted announcements from Saturday but Government sources said some major spending proposals would be kept under wraps until the major policy speech, likely to be made by the Premier in the last week of the campaign.

Mr Rann said the increased concessions came on top of the free public transport concessions for seniors announced last year.

Ridgehaven Pensioners Brian and Beryl Donovan, 73 and 76, said any contribution towards their electricity bills would give them the opportunity to spend money on activities and items they usually go without.

"The pension isn't going up very fast and every time it does, other bills go up, so it all evens out," Mr Donovan said.

The couple gave up their home nine years ago and moved into a retirement village because of mounting bills and home maintenance costs. They said seniors should not feel like they could not afford to put on their airconditioning.

"If we need to put the airconditioner on, we put it on but I know people who sit there and suffer with it off to save money," Mr Donovan said.

WTF - I pay the water bill for my tenants - is that correct?

And he says its fully costed but doesn't say how - out of the excess funds they suddenly found, I assume.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Psyber » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:49 am

Jimmy_041 wrote: WTF - I pay the water bill for my tenants - is that correct?
And he says its fully costed but doesn't say how - out of the excess funds they suddenly found, I assume.
Last time I rented the tenant paid for their own utility use, but I think the water rates may have been paid by the owner with provision to pass on any excess usage charges.
I don't know what the rules are now. Rents would have to go up if the owner had to pay the excess as there would be no restraint...
Psyber
Coach

Postby A Mum » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:51 am

As far as I know - Renters only pay the excess water.
However - I have known some landlords to pay the excess water (if they're nice ;) :lol: )
You get what you give....
A Mum
Coach

Been liked: 0 time

Postby dedja » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:02 am

A Mum wrote:As far as I know - Renters only pay the excess water.
However - I have known some landlords to pay the excess water (if they're nice ;) :lol: )

Correct ...

dedja
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:13 am

So....lets see if I get this right

If I am the landlord, I pay the water rates

If the pensioner is out the zealously watering my garden to the point of, probably, wasting a precious resource, Rann will subsidise them

Seems like a very good plan Mike - the heading should be:

RANN ENCOURAGES EXCESS WATER USE WITH INCREASED SUBSIDIES
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby redandblack » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:24 am

If he solved the middle-east crisis, you'd still find fault, Jimmy ;)
redandblack

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:16 am

redandblack wrote:If he solved the middle-east crisis, you'd still find fault, Jimmy ;)

If he thought he could get away with it, he'd blame the middle-east crisis on the Liberal Party
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:20 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:
redandblack wrote:If he solved the middle-east crisis, you'd still find fault, Jimmy ;)

If he thought he could get away with it, he'd blame the middle-east crisis on the Liberal Party

Nah, he'd just say it didn't happen whilst other world leaders took lie detector tests to prove he's a liar! :lol:
Armchair expert wrote:Such a great club are Geelong
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2151 times
Been liked: 4090 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:23 am

You are quite correct about sloppy journalism though

Why didn't one of them ask Rann about the fact that most landlords pay the water-sewerage charges other than excess costs?

Why do I always have to see through their spin?

Goddamn lefty press in this state!

maybe I'll twitter the twit and ask him............
Jimmy_041
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics