Convoy of No Confidence

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Convoy of No Confidence

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:31 pm

fish wrote:
The Sleeping Giant wrote:And the left wing looneys continue to whinge.
First time I've heard The Advertiser labelled as left wing looney whingers! :shock:

Advertiser call them cow hurters did they?
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Re: Convoy of No Confidence

Postby Leaping Lindner » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:44 am

A truck driver from Colac on the ABC this morning - who is his words speaks for the majority of Australians - says he is participating because the carbon tax on diesel will destroy the road freight industry, and he wants the Governor General to call an election because - in his words - "This isn't a democratically elected government hey."
Okay...
+ There is a no carbon tax on diesel.
+ The Governor General can't call an election
+ This Government IS democratically elected. You just don't like them.

And this guy speaks for the majority of Australians (in his words). :shock:
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Convoy of No Confidence

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:45 am

You haven't met many truck drivers in your life have you LL. :)
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby redandblack » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:55 am

Here's the rundown on this 'Convoy'.

Scary stuff and once again the Murdoch media are all over it.

Apart from the fact it's a total fizzer, this tells you why.

Dishonest mob of no-hopers.

http://exiledonline.com/teabagger-dunde ... australia/
redandblack

Convoy of No Confidence

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:00 pm

If only they could be as honest as Craig Thomson redandblack.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby Squawk » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:04 pm

redandblack wrote:Here's the rundown on this 'Convoy'.

Scary stuff and once again the Murdoch media are all over it.

Apart from the fact it's a total fizzer, this tells you why.

Dishonest mob of no-hopers.

http://exiledonline.com/teabagger-dunde ... australia/

Now that link seems to be to a very reputable publication, R&B :shock:

I'm sure there are a few unpalatable types amidst the convoy, but I think it would be fair to say there would be a few others in that convoy who feel genuinely disaffected by the current government.
Steve Bradbury and Michael Milton. Aussie Legends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnztSjUB2U
Squawk
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby redandblack » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:29 pm

I'm sure there are, S and I agree with their right to protest.

I've been listening and watching the over-publicity about this fizzer and I like statements like "We didn't vote for Bob Brown", or 'We didn't vote for this government" :D

They also think the election result wasn't legitimate, but they're really just long-time climate change sceptics.

Aside from all of that, diesel fuel is exempted from the carbon tax, so what the hell is their gripe?
redandblack

Postby Leaping Lindner » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:31 pm

Mick Pattell - "A global government could bring in an international army to quell any uprising in the rogue countries if we shut down after the treaty - that is the Copenhagen agreement - is signed".

Just shows you in a democracy everyone is entitled to air their grievances......even if they are barking mad. :lol:
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby Psyber » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:25 pm

Leaping Lindner wrote:A truck driver from Colac on the ABC this morning - who is his words speaks for the majority of Australians - says he is participating because the carbon tax on diesel will destroy the road freight industry, and he wants the Governor General to call an election because - in his words - "This isn't a democratically elected government hey."
Okay...

According to the ABC the Carbon Tax will be applied to heavy transport from 2014.
I don't know whether that means on fuel or in some other way..
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby southee » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:15 pm

Psyber wrote:
Leaping Lindner wrote:A truck driver from Colac on the ABC this morning - who is his words speaks for the majority of Australians - says he is participating because the carbon tax on diesel will destroy the road freight industry, and he wants the Governor General to call an election because - in his words - "This isn't a democratically elected government hey."
Okay...

According to the ABC the Carbon Tax will be applied to heavy transport from 2014.

Yes...heavy transport one of the bad heavy polluters.....what a joke!!! :roll:
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 861 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby fish » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:34 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:
fish wrote:
The Sleeping Giant wrote:And the left wing looneys continue to whinge.
First time I've heard The Advertiser labelled as left wing looney whingers! :shock:
Advertiser call them cow hurters did they?
No, but I reckon The Advertiser should tell it like it is! :twisted:

Speaking of which I saw this article in The Advertiser the other day where the South Australian Farmers Federation President said he'd be "happy as Larry" if 260 sheep died in his paddock.

THE South Australian Farmers Federation has cautioned against a knee-jerk reaction to findings that 260 sheep died while on board the Al Messilah.

Federation president Peter White admitted the saga had come at a bad time, but said the number of deaths from a total of 67,000 sheep on board the vessel was to be expected.

"If I had 67,000 sheep out in the paddock and I had a mortality rate of only 0.39 per cent, I'd be as happy as Larry," he said.
fish
Coach

Has liked: 184 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby Sojourner » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:55 pm

What I do wonder is if when they say "Heavy Transport" if it applies to Trains or not? Governments should be investing into rail infrastructure not making it more expensive to run by operators that want to use it.
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:02 pm

fish wrote:No, but I reckon The Advertiser should tell it like it is! :twisted:

Speaking of which I saw this article in The Advertiser the other day where the South Australian Farmers Federation President said he'd be "happy as Larry" if 260 sheep died in his paddock.

THE South Australian Farmers Federation has cautioned against a knee-jerk reaction to findings that 260 sheep died while on board the Al Messilah.

Federation president Peter White admitted the saga had come at a bad time, but said the number of deaths from a total of 67,000 sheep on board the vessel was to be expected.

"If I had 67,000 sheep out in the paddock and I had a mortality rate of only 0.39 per cent, I'd be as happy as Larry," he said.

AND? I thought you said you used to be a primary producer? If you WERE, you would know what he is saying is the truth?
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby Gozu » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:49 am

"Protest convoy runs out of puff":

THE "Convoy of No Confidence" rolled into our capital city with more of a whimper than a bang yesterday.

Rally organisers threatened 11 convoys from across the nation with more than 1000 trucks and cars, carrying 10,000 protesters to the doorstep of Parliament House.

But yesterday the convoy consisted of about 100 trucks, and a couple of hundred protesters.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/ipad/prot ... 6120041293
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Been liked: 660 times

Postby bulldogproud2 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:04 am

.. and was apparently outnumbered by a cyclists' rally in favour of the Carbon Tax! Not covered by too many sources although the ABC did at least state this fact. Is the lack of media coverage symptomatic of bias in the media or is there some other reason this rally received far less coverage than the 'failed' truckies' rally?
Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby interested observer » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:18 pm

Psyber wrote:
Okay...

I wonder where ex Transport Workers Union heavy weight and now Labor Senator Alex Gallacher sits on all this ???
interested observer
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 1 time

Postby fish » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:46 pm

fish wrote:Speaking of which I saw this article in The Advertiser the other day where the South Australian Farmers Federation President said he'd be "happy as Larry" if 260 sheep died in his paddock.

AND? I thought you said you used to be a primary producer? If you WERE, you would know what he is saying is the truth?
To me, him being "happy as Larry" whilst animals are dying slow deaths out in the paddocks epitomises the attitude of the people involved in live exports. [-X
Last edited by fish on Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
fish
Coach

Postby fish » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:48 pm

Gozu wrote:Rally organisers threatened 11 convoys from across the nation with more than 1000 trucks and cars, carrying 10,000 protesters to the doorstep of Parliament House.

But yesterday the convoy consisted of about 100 trucks, and a couple of hundred protesters.[/i]
Does this make them liars? Or just failures?
fish
Coach

Postby fish » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:52 pm

Psyber wrote: According to the ABC the Carbon Tax will be applied to heavy transport from 2014.
I reckon you're right Psyber.

However the Australian Trucking Association have, according to this article, distanced themselves from the rally and are happy with the two year exemption from the carbon tax:

The Australian Trucking Association (ATA) says the convoy will do nothing to help the trucking industry.

The association's Bill McKinley says the rally will change nothing.

"The danger of protests like these, which are well-meaning, is it reinforces the stereotype of the trucking industry as cowboys who are not worth dealing with," he said.

"On behalf of our members, the ATA gets excellent results including a two-year exemption from the carbon tax.

"We don't believe this convoy will be as effective as the work that we do everyday."
fish
Coach

Convoy of No Confidence

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:50 pm

fish wrote:
fish wrote:Speaking of which I saw [url=http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/al-messilah-sheep-deaths-quite-normal-says-south-australian-farmers-federation/story-fn7kiea5-1226118465222]this article[/url] in The Advertiser the other day where the South Australian Farmers Federation President said he'd be "happy as Larry" if 260 sheep died in his paddock.

Him getting his kicks whilst animals are dying slow deaths out in the fields epitomises the attitude of the people involved in live exports - from producers through to consumers. [-X

Very sad if you believe what you have posted. In all my years of knowing farmers and livestock producers, I have never met any that don't treat their stock decently. Of course they don't give them hugs and kisses and tuck them in at night, but they don't torture or mistreat them either.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics