(Miscellaneous debris)

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: (Miscellaneous debris)

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:08 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Magellan wrote:
Grenville wrote:One Nation not doing anywhere near as well as they expected.

Talk about choking big time on your home deck. The only place Hanson's going to pick up 11 seats is at the local IKEA store.

But more people voted for her at this election than at previous ones....

and still did better than the Greens but the ABC aren't sledging them
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Magellan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:06 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Talk about choking big time on your home deck. The only place Hanson's going to pick up 11 seats is at the local IKEA store.

Doesn't amount to much if you can't get enough votes to claim seats in the parliament.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:17 pm

Magellan wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Doesn't amount to much if you can't get enough votes to claim seats in the parliament.
True. However the major parties preferenced One Nation out.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3581 times

Postby cracka » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:41 pm

Apparently the ALP have a spy in their party, how exciting
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 559 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:33 am

I met Dastyari once
He spoke at a conference I was at and said everything the crowd wanted to hear, in fact, so much, that it was obvious his only aim was to tell them everything they wanted to hear. Again he breached Labor Party policy. He told a bunch of financial planners and fund managers that the industry funds had an unfair advantage and that a Labor Govt would correct it imbalance against independents
I asked him 5 questions about the subject and he couldn't answer one of them. I kept at him with follow up questions.
I spent the rest of the night dodging him as he tried to assuage me. I ended up telling him to f*** off. He's a slimy little rat
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:03 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:I met Dastyari once
He spoke at a conference I was at and said everything the crowd wanted to hear, in fact, so much, that it was obvious his only aim was to tell them everything they wanted to hear. Again he breached Labor Party policy. He told a bunch of financial planners and fund managers that the industry funds had an unfair advantage and that a Labor Govt would correct it imbalance against independents
I asked him 5 questions about the subject and he couldn't answer one of them. I kept at him with follow up questions.
I spent the rest of the night dodging him as he tried to assuage me. I ended up telling him to f*** off. He's a slimy little rat

@Jimmy_041

He quits :

LABOR’S Sam Dastyari today quit the Senate as the accumulation of questionable ties to Chinese contacts made his continued service impossible.
The 34-year old former party whiz-kid said he wanted to “spare the party any further distraction”.
“Today, after much reflection, I’ve decided that the best service I can render to the federal parliamentary Labor Party is to not return to the Senate in 2018,” Senator Dastyari said today.
“I’ve not reached this decision lightly. But in my deliberations, I’ve been guided by my Labor values, which tell me that I should leave if my ongoing presence detracts from the pursuit of Labor’s mission.
“It is evident to me we are at that point, so I will spare the party any further distraction. I love the Labor Party.
“I know Australia needs a Labor Government and I refuse to let my personal situation put that prospect at risk.”
His shock decision followed claims from Immigration Minister Peter Dutton that he was a “double agent” working for China.
The distractions raised by Senator Dastyari centred on his relations with a Chinese businessman living in Australia, Huang Xiangmo. He has been accused by Government figures of promoting Chinese policy in a bid to get donations for the ALP from Mr Huang.
After almost two weeks of political pressure, Senator Dastyari decided he would not return to the Upper House next year. He first sat in it in July, 2013 after working for three years as ALP general secretary in NSW.
His departure will create a casual vacancy and there is speculation it could be filled by Kristina Keneally should she not win the Bennelong by-election on Saturday.
On November 30, the Labor MP was forced from the front bench after his close ties to a Chinese donor were revealed.
The uproar has intruded on Ms Keneally’s federal campaign and dragged Opposition Leader Bill Shorten into claims of excessive foreign interference in Australian politics.
Senator Dastyari today said he had acted with integrity and with the best interests of the ALP in mind.
“I have always put the pursuit of the Labor cause first,” he said, apparently in response to charges he had contradicted Labor’s policy on the South China Sea to please Chinese hosts at a press conference.
“Reflecting on the events that lead to my decision, I leave knowing I have always honoured my parliamentary oath, I’ve always acted with integrity, and I remain a loyal patriotic Australian.”
Bill Shorten said Senator Dastyari had told him of his decision this morning and he agreed.
“I told him I thought this was the right decision. I thanked him for his service to the Parliament, to the state of New South Wales and to the Australian Labor Party,” the Opposition Leader said in a statement.
There will be claims Mr Shorten should have made the decision himself and that he was slow to respond to the Dastyari revelations.
“Sam Dastyari is a good, decent and loyal Australian, and an effective parliamentarian, but his judgment has let him down and now he has paid the heaviest price,” Mr Shorten said.
“Sam can be proud of what he has achieved during his time as a senator.”
Mr Shorten indicated his young colleague had a big future ahead of this controversy.
“Sam is also a talented and tireless campaigner — his passion, organising skills and boundless good humour has engaged a new generation of progressive activists. I am sure Sam will continue to make a valuable contribution to our country in whatever he chooses to do,” he said.
In his speech, Senator Dastyari said his parents, Ella and Nasser, fled a war-torn Iran, so that they could start a new life in Australia and he was proud of his achievements as an Australian Senator.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10753 times

Postby MW » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:08 am

Makes you wonder if that dude who abused him at the bar knew more than the rest of us...
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1821 times

Postby Leaping Lindner » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:26 pm

MW wrote:Makes you wonder if that dude who abused him at the bar knew more than the rest of us...

Neil Erikson would be flat out knowing the time of day, let alone anything complicated.
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:56 pm

"I’ve been guided by my Labor values" :lol:

Sums up both Shorten and him

Slimy little bottom feeder
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:23 pm

So the moment Sammy met Jimmy it was the beginning of the end
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3581 times

Postby Magellan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:40 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

So the moment Sammy met Jimmy it was the beginning of the end

Sounds like quite the opposite of when Harry met Sally...thankfully. ;)

"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby cracka » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:57 pm

During a dull Parliament House dinner, Chloe Shorten leaned over to chat with Governor General Sir Peter Cosgrove.

"I bought Bill a parrot for his birthday,” she said to Sir Peter. “That bird is so smart, Bill has already taught him to say over two hundred words!"

“Very impressive," said Sir Peter, "but, you do realise he just speaks the words - he doesn't really understand what they all mean.”

"Oh, I know", replied Chloe, “but neither does the parrot."
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 559 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Q. » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:19 pm

The first two weeks of this year make me think mainstream journalism in this country is at an all time low standard.

http://www.news.com.au/national/victori ... 07309dfcc8
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:07 am

Q. wrote:The first two weeks of this year make me think mainstream journalism in this country is at an all time low standard.

I agree:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... th-partner
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Q. » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:36 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Q. wrote:The first two weeks of this year make me think mainstream journalism in this country is at an all time low standard.

I agree:
Not sure I see the connection
Q.
Coach

Postby Magellan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:40 am

Q. wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:

I agree:

I think its a rejoinder that comments on the quality of content in the Guardian, rather than linking the two stories.
Magellan
Coach

Postby morell » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:44 am

One is clearly not intended to be editorial.

That like posting a link to the crossword puzzle in time and trying to compare it to Breitbart
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Q. » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:50 am

Magellan wrote:
Q. wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:

I agree:

I think its a rejoinder that comments on the quality of content in the Guardian, rather than linking the two stories.
The Guardian has a 'Health' section, yes. Still don't see the relevance.
Q.
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:52 am

morell wrote:One is clearly not intended to be editorial.

That like posting a link to the crossword puzzle in time and trying to compare it to Breitbart

I’m still trying to find the word “editorial” or some other point of reference which makes it “clear” that Q was merely referring to editorial content.
It seemed to me to be a very general comment. Just happened that I was reading the Guardian last night and wondered what an article like that, with a headline worthy of The Sun, is doing in a, supposedly, quality newspaper
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Q. » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:14 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
morell wrote:One is clearly not intended to be editorial.

I’m still trying to find the word “editorial” or some other point of reference which makes it “clear” that Q was merely referring to editorial content.
It seemed to me to be a very general comment. Just happened that I was reading the Guardian last night and wondered what an article like that, with a headline worthy of The Sun, is doing in a, supposedly, quality newspaper
Your article is from the Health section of The Guardian. I'm struggling to understand why you have a problem with it.
Q.
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics