(Miscellaneous debris)

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: (Miscellaneous debris)

Postby Q. » Tue May 26, 2020 7:44 am

Psyber wrote:Thanks, I'll have a look at those sites.
Superficially, the idea of a newer angle to ideological conflict simply amused me at the time of posting.

I've always tended to dismiss the use use of the term "deniers" as silly abuse when it is details about the absoluteness of theories of causation that are being challenged, not that the change has been happening. Dispute in the details of science is common and some people get worked up when the details they support are challenged. Sure there are a few who dispute any change has occurred, but that is obviously not true.

My view so far - climate change is real, but the details of how it is driven, and where it is going to go, are not absolute yet.

This is just pure obfuscation. The science is clear and there is mountains of it. Every possible confounding driver has been thoroughly examined - sun energy, volcanoes, orbital cycles, El Nino, cosmic rays. They've even analysed unknown drivers for you ;) :

Testing for the Possible Influence of Unknown Climate Forcings upon Global Temperature Increases from 1950 to 2000
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Psyber » Wed May 27, 2020 5:04 pm

I'll keep reading.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Q. » Wed May 27, 2020 5:31 pm

Psyber wrote:I'll keep reading.

There's no time for that, the climate change apocalypse is nearly here ;)

Kidding. We are not headed for 4 degree warming, but no additional action now means we are tracking for 2.5 to 2.7 degree warming - which does have significant environmental and economic implications. Thankfully, that worst case scenario seems unlikely with recent shifts in global response and energy transition - limiting to 1.5 degrees warming seems plausible now.
Q.
Coach

Postby Magellan » Fri May 29, 2020 11:45 am

Hundreds of letters between the Queen and former governor-general Sir John Kerr before the dismissal of the Whitlam government are expected to be released.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/high-court-ruling-favours-release-of-palace-papers-on-whitlam-dismissal-20200528-p54x9l.html
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri May 29, 2020 1:46 pm

Magellan wrote:Hundreds of letters between the Queen and former governor-general Sir John Kerr before the dismissal of the Whitlam government are expected to be released.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/high-court-ruling-favours-release-of-palace-papers-on-whitlam-dismissal-20200528-p54x9l.html

:heart: letters?

That crafty old sod. Giving Backdoor Phil some of his own medicine
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:03 pm

The corrupt Victorian government has finally overdone it
As with most governments, a poor opposition allows fraud and contempt

Labor's national executive has seized control of the Victorian branch for up to three years, placed it under the control of administrators and will audit every member, as it moves to clean out the division in the wake of allegations of widespread branch stacking.

The national executive ratified the move on Tuesday night. Party stalwarts Steve Bracks, a former Victorian premier, and Jenny Macklin, a former federal minister from Victoria, will be appointed to administer the branch until at least the end of January. All officials and staff will be required to report to them.

The duo will also conduct an inquiry and recommend new integrity measures.

"The final report should include recommendations on how the Victorian branch should be restructured and reconstituted so that the branch membership comprises genuine, consenting and self-funding party members,'' says a draft of the takeover conditions seen by The Australian Financial Review.

With the status of many members unclear given the branch stacking - which involved people being signed up and their fees paid for them - all members will lose voting rights until 2023.

Advertisement

In the interim, all preselections for the next state and federal elections will be conducted by the national executive.

The takeover pushed by federal leader Anthony Albanese and Premier Daniel Andrews, follows allegations of widespread branch stacking by now former powerbroker Adem Somyurek. He has been expelled and two other state ministers have resigned.

In a letter from Mr Andrews to ALP national secretary Paul Erickson ahead of the executive meeting , Mr Andrews said the suspension of voting rights was paramount.

"I have no confidence in the integrity in any voting roles that are produced for any internal elections in the Victorian branch,'' he said.

"Accordingly, we must suspend these elections and bring a long and critical process of validating each and every member of the Labor Party in Victoria as genuine, consenting and self-funded.

"I can't accept yet another review that, while well-intentioned, cannot and will not deliver the profound reform that is required."

The effective federal takeover of the Victorian branch diminishes the influence of several powerful ALP figures who are hostile towards Mr Albanese by severely limiting their ability to use party processes to make life hard for the federal leader.

With police and Victoria's corruption body IBAC investigating the allegations, Minister for Consumer Affairs, Gaming and Liquor Regulation Marlene Kairouz became the third minister to stand down in the space of 24 hours on Tuesday, after secret recordings revealed by The Age and 60 Minutes showed she encouraged staff to work on branch-stacking activities with Mr Somyurek, who was sacked on Monday morning.

Victorian assistant treasurer and Minister for Veterans Robin Scott, a factional ally of Mr Somyurek, also quit the cabinet on Monday afternoon following the allegations but will also continue to serve as an MP while investigations by police and IBAC take their course.

The sting that exposed Mr Somurek, a powerbroker who once was a key backer of Bill Shorten, has also raised questions over the role of federal Victorian Labor MP Anthony Byrne and his staff — as some of the hidden camera footage that was obtained appeared to have been shot in his electorate office.

The footage was used to incriminate Mr Somurek.

Mr Byrne has declined to comment but one suggestion floated is that the police or anti-corruption investigators may have already been examining the issue before Mr Andrews referred it on Monday.

Speaking on radio yesterday Mr Albanese told 2GB: “Quite clearly, there has been activity going on, the sting that went on, the tapes. It wasn't just in an office, there are tapes in terms of phone calls.

“Because they're under police investigation, I'll allow those investigations to run their course.”

Former Labor leader Mr Shorten denied any knowledge of Mr Somyurek’s antics.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Q. » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:11 am

Great expose by the journalists, we need more of it. It's time to seriously weed out corruption from all politics, never been a better time for a Federal ICAC.
Q.
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:37 pm

Q. wrote:Great expose by the journalists, we need more of it. It's time to seriously weed out corruption from all politics, never been a better time for a Federal ICAC.

Totally agree, but just as Rann refused for so many years because they knew they'd be in trouble, you won't see any Federal government doing it

Weeding corruption out of politics is impossible. Amazing how they launch law after law onto the private sector but they can do what they want
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Q. » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:06 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Q. wrote:Great expose by the journalists, we need more of it. It's time to seriously weed out corruption from all politics, never been a better time for a Federal ICAC.

Totally agree, but just as Rann refused for so many years because they knew they'd be in trouble, you won't see any Federal government doing it

Weeding corruption out of politics is impossible. Amazing how they launch law after law onto the private sector but they can do what they want

Vic matter has been referred directly to IBAC. Need a federal anti-corruption watchdog with teeth for exactly the same purpose.

Weeding it out hard (no doubt many young Vic Labor have been groomed to think/behave just like Somyurek), but not impossible. Need to start somewhere.
Q.
Coach

Postby DOC » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:18 pm

All of the ICAC's in Australia are ineffective, costly and based on a model that is deeply flawed. Think SA ICAC. Quite the laughing stock of Australia.

People who think that lawyers, judges and other non trained personnel are equipped to oversee, direct, plan and execute investigations do not often realise that their roles as officers of the court does not in anyway shape or form equip them to manage an investigation authority. They are completely different professions and until that is recognised, they will continue to be ineffective.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby DOC » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:23 pm

Q. wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:

Vic matter has been referred directly to IBAC. Need a federal anti-corruption watchdog with teeth for exactly the same purpose.

Weeding it out hard (no doubt many young Vic Labor have been groomed to think/behave just like Somyurek), but not impossible. Need to start somewhere.

Who will have little or no jurisdiction over many of the matters raised.

A federal ICAC would be in the same boat.
DOC
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:58 am

I haven’t read up on what’s happening in Victoriastan
Is branch stacking a criminal offence?
Most of the politicians in the country would be stuffed
I was “made” a member once. I started getting all this info from the party and thought WTF?
Not sure whether Labor really wanted me to go to their meetings.
I think one of my friends did it to take the pi$$
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:21 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:Most of the politicians in the country would be stuffed

A lot of people on football club boards would be stuffed too!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby DOC » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:03 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:I haven’t read up on what’s happening in Victoriastan
Is branch stacking a criminal offence?
Most of the politicians in the country would be stuffed
I was “made” a member once. I started getting all this info from the party and thought WTF?
Not sure whether Labor really wanted me to go to their meetings.
I think one of my friends did it to take the pi$$

Branch stacking is neither a criminal or civil offence.

The offences start to occur when information is provided to an authority such as the AEC that is false such as you describe above as (I assume) that it was not you that signed the declaration.

You would have been a standout party member for Labor, along the lines of Sam Dastyari insert winking funny face here.
DOC
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:48 pm

An inconvenient truth

Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:37 pm

JUST IN:

Huge news..

The NSW Government is in turmoil after Deputy Premier and Nationals leader John Barilaro said his party would no longer support Government legislation in Parliament.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:08 pm

Booney wrote:JUST IN:

Huge news..

The NSW Government is in turmoil after Deputy Premier and Nationals leader John Barilaro said his party would no longer support Government legislation in Parliament.

If there is one thing you wouldn't do in politics is take on the issue of health of koalas.
Everyone loves them. No-one hates them
The Nationals will get drummed out of existence.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby stan » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:51 pm

Huge news..

Well this will end well.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Jim05 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:37 am

stan wrote:

Huge news..

Well this will end well.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
It did end well.
Don’t mess with Gladys

https://twitter.com/alexhart7/status/13 ... 77952?s=21
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Apachebulldog » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:36 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:An inconvenient truth

Good one Jimmy watched it when it first came out if my memory is right i even posted the link on here for all the people who have been fooled/manipulated to have a look at all this from a lefty film maker Mr Moore point of view he makes very good docos.
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics