(Miscellaneous debris)

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: (Miscellaneous debris)

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:01 pm

I doubt the absolute objectivity in many of them but apparently one side always is.
A bit like most 2016 Brexit voters didn’t understand it and every Remainer voter was an expert.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby DOC » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:10 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:Just to show this “The science is settled” Is a load of bollocks.
https://www.thegwpf.com/peter-ridd-scientific-misconduct-at-james-cook-university-confirms-my-worst-fears/
Science is not always black and white when humans are involved

Well Jim I would not have picked you as a climate change denier.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:52 am

Di Natale has quit as Greens leader and will leave the senate.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby DOC » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:01 am

That is from left field.

Up to the Vic parliament now to select a replacement.

Wonder if it will cross their mind not to replace him with a Green?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:09 am

DOC wrote:That is from left field.

Brandt is favourite apparently
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:06 pm

DOC wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:Just to show this “The science is settled” Is a load of bollocks.
https://www.thegwpf.com/peter-ridd-scientific-misconduct-at-james-cook-university-confirms-my-worst-fears/
Science is not always black and white when humans are involved

Well Jim I would not have picked you as a climate change denier.

I’m not a client change denier.
Have I ever said the climate is not changing?
Nothing is ever black or white / 100% right or wrong

Calling people “deniers” because they don’t blindly agree with you is just puerile.
You’re either in my gang or theirs. Agree with me or I’ll blacklist and destroy your reputation.
Everything that supports my view is 100% correct and anything to the contrary is 100% wrong or outdated.
Who TF has the right to say “the science is settled”? Oh yeah; scientists like Mickey Mouse from the Mickey Mouse School of the Blind and Zoology & Professor Araminta Aardvark from the University of Neasden. That petition was promoted as proof that “the science is settled”
Here’s a goody: [url] https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/world/20 ... gests.html
[/url] (No wonder the Greens want to lower the voting age.)

Here’s the scientist, no less than Australia’s Chief Scientist Dr Alan Finkel, I have listened to and agree with what he says:

On 1 June 2017 I attended a Senate Estimates hearing where Senator Ian Macdonald asked if the world was to reduce its carbon emissions by 1.3 per cent, which is approximately Australia’s rate of emissions, what impact would that make on the changing climate of the world. My response was that the impact would be virtually nothing but I immediately continued by explaining that doing nothing is not a position that we can responsibly take

Finkel must be a climate change denier for not supporting the hysteria. He should not be allowed to vote because of it!

Back to the Super Bowl. That’s real!
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Grenville » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:41 pm

Jim05 wrote:
DOC wrote:That is from left field.

Brandt is favourite apparently

David Leyonjhelm.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Q. » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:20 pm

WTF is with Andrew Bolt and Sky News being creepy paedophile apologists :shock:
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Gozu » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:31 pm

Q. wrote:WTF is with Andrew Bolt and Sky News being creepy paedophile apologists :shock:

https://junkee.com/andrew-bolt-st-kevin ... use/242787

I'm glad lunatics like him were pushed off FTA TV but Sky News really is the dregs for these people.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:28 pm

Joe Aston doesn't mind having a crack!

Sex isn't selling Greg Norman's Colorado ranch
Joe Aston
Columnist
Feb 4, 2020 — 12.00am

Were our forefathers treated to a peek at this epoch they would most assuredly be staggered by the sheer vanity of the age. And now, thanks to Instagram’s cultural hegemony, narcissism’s unprecedented incentives.

Youth being wasted on the young, Millennials can be forgiven their heartfelt superficiality. Indeed, their readiness to be commercially exploited makes it surprisingly easy to forgive.

But Narcissus wasn’t born yesterday, and among Baby Boomers have strutted some of his most formidable disciples.

Speaking of former golfer Greg Norman, exactly what manner of electric signal occurs in that man’s head right before he speaks or acts?

Shark.JPG
Shark.JPG (94.61 KiB) Viewed 3703 times

Responding to social media’s so-called Dolly Parton challenge on January 23, Norman posted yet another image of himself on a golf course, stark naked but for his most sensual resting bitch face. Sickening.

Back on October 18, Norman shared an image of himself dressed smartly in black and gazing carnally at the lens, its caption, merely: “Does your Friday night look this good?” Going steady with himself doesn’t even begin to adequately diagnose this.

And last week, referring to Ellerston Golf Club, he marvelled that “we were able to accomplish the rare feat of creating a course that a golfer of my calibre would love to play every day.” Of my calibre? The self-regard just rolls off his tongue.

Let’s put this in perspective: Norman won two British Opens (the least competitive of the big four) and then never another major; not the PGA Championship, not the US Open and not the Masters. As, undoubtedly, the greatest choker in the history of golf, Norman alone lost every single major in a playoff. Suffice it to say his Friday nights have always looked a damn sight better than his Sunday afternoons.

The Great White Shark seems to have enjoyed a reputational renaissance in Australia since passing on Donald Trump’s phone number to then prime minister Malcolm Turnbull in November 2016 (who f---ing cares, really?), which seems to have papered over the very salient fact that this bloke remains firmly ensconced on the very outer limits of unbearable.

What he must find perplexing is that no mere mortal will pay $US50 million ($74.6 million) to sleep in his bed. Norman’s Colorado property, Seven Lakes Ranch, has been on the market intermittently since 2011 and solidly since 2016. Years later, he’s still running colour ads in both The Aspen Times and Aspen Daily News (to say nothing of the fact it’s nearly three hours’ drive from Aspen).

In news that will stun nobody, Greg’s statuesque image features in them prominently, riding a horse through the snow, intently contemplating the middle distance beneath the brim of his Stetson; as poignant as swine flu.

That his realtor persists with a price premium on the basis Norman wore out the mirrors there (rather than a discount for its poor accessibility, Seven Lakes being the Dapto of the Rocky Mountains) explains perfectly why the joint’s still gathering dust.

Joe Aston has helmed The Australian Financial Review's Rear Window column since 2012. He is based in Los Angeles.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Magellan » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:36 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:Joe Aston doesn't mind having a crack!

Sex isn't selling Greg Norman's Colorado ranch
Joe Aston
Columnist
Feb 4, 2020 — 12.00am

Were our forefathers treated to a peek at this epoch they would most assuredly be staggered by the sheer vanity of the age. And now, thanks to Instagram’s cultural hegemony, narcissism’s unprecedented incentives.

Youth being wasted on the young, Millennials can be forgiven their heartfelt superficiality. Indeed, their readiness to be commercially exploited makes it surprisingly easy to forgive.

But Narcissus wasn’t born yesterday, and among Baby Boomers have strutted some of his most formidable disciples.

Speaking of former golfer Greg Norman, exactly what manner of electric signal occurs in that man’s head right before he speaks or acts?

Shark.JPG

Responding to social media’s so-called Dolly Parton challenge on January 23, Norman posted yet another image of himself on a golf course, stark naked but for his most sensual resting bitch face. Sickening.

Back on October 18, Norman shared an image of himself dressed smartly in black and gazing carnally at the lens, its caption, merely: “Does your Friday night look this good?” Going steady with himself doesn’t even begin to adequately diagnose this.

And last week, referring to Ellerston Golf Club, he marvelled that “we were able to accomplish the rare feat of creating a course that a golfer of my calibre would love to play every day.” Of my calibre? The self-regard just rolls off his tongue.

Let’s put this in perspective: Norman won two British Opens (the least competitive of the big four) and then never another major; not the PGA Championship, not the US Open and not the Masters. As, undoubtedly, the greatest choker in the history of golf, Norman alone lost every single major in a playoff. Suffice it to say his Friday nights have always looked a damn sight better than his Sunday afternoons.

The Great White Shark seems to have enjoyed a reputational renaissance in Australia since passing on Donald Trump’s phone number to then prime minister Malcolm Turnbull in November 2016 (who f---ing cares, really?), which seems to have papered over the very salient fact that this bloke remains firmly ensconced on the very outer limits of unbearable.

What he must find perplexing is that no mere mortal will pay $US50 million ($74.6 million) to sleep in his bed. Norman’s Colorado property, Seven Lakes Ranch, has been on the market intermittently since 2011 and solidly since 2016. Years later, he’s still running colour ads in both The Aspen Times and Aspen Daily News (to say nothing of the fact it’s nearly three hours’ drive from Aspen).

In news that will stun nobody, Greg’s statuesque image features in them prominently, riding a horse through the snow, intently contemplating the middle distance beneath the brim of his Stetson; as poignant as swine flu.

That his realtor persists with a price premium on the basis Norman wore out the mirrors there (rather than a discount for its poor accessibility, Seven Lakes being the Dapto of the Rocky Mountains) explains perfectly why the joint’s still gathering dust.

Joe Aston has helmed The Australian Financial Review's Rear Window column since 2012. He is based in Los Angeles.

Quality rant right there.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Magellan » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:13 pm

For those who can't get enough of the 1975 dismissal of the Whitlam government (guilty as charged), there's a new podcast from the ABC (what a surprise!) called 'The Eleventh' which dissects the issues in and around it, with interviews with key participants who are still alive (Junie Morosi, for example). Seven or eight episodes in total, and three are available at the moment. Interesting listening, so far it seems to take more of an interest in the role and attitude of of the US government towards Whitlam than other analyses that are out there.

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/the-eleventh/episodes/
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Psyber » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:10 pm

Magellan wrote:For those who can't get enough of the 1975 dismissal of the Whitlam government (guilty as charged), there's a new podcast from the ABC (what a surprise!) called 'The Eleventh' which dissects the issues in and around it, with interviews with key participants who are still alive (Junie Morosi, for example). Seven or eight episodes in total, and three are available at the moment. Interesting listening, so far it seems to take more of an interest in the role and attitude of of the US government towards Whitlam than other analyses that are out there.

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/the-eleventh/episodes/

Those of us who were around back in the later 1970s may recall that there was a journalist who had been in Military Intelligence during 1975 who later quit to become a journo. He claimed that in 1975 there were execises being conducted in Qld based on a hypothetical scenario involving a military take over of the Australian government to resolve a similar crisis in government.

I wonder if that will pop up in the series...
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Psyber » Thu May 21, 2020 1:23 pm

I guess this is mixture of politics and health but I"ve just read an article in a Neuroscience journal linking diesel fumes to the potential development of Parkinson's Disease. I've quoted a precis as the whole article is too long. Obvously more research needs to be done on this particular issue and I have just sent the article to several MPs - state and federal.

It is years since the WHO declared that Diesel fumes were a proven cancer causing risk, and nothing has ever been done about it - left in the "too hard" basket. Back in the day I wrote about the then new WHO declaration to the Council of Trade Unions, the leadership of the ALP and several Liberal Politicians. The only relies I ever got came from Malcolm Turnbull and Greg Hunt, both of whom acknowledged the problem while admitting they were not sure where to go with it at that stage.

I know from personal experience on two separate occasions that living in high pollution areas can trigger Fibromyalgia-like symptoms. That's why I live outside cities these days where I remain symptom free.

Source: UCLA Precis
A new UCLA study in zebrafish has identified the process by which air pollution can damage
brain cells, potentially contributing to Parkinson’s disease.
Published in the peer-reviewed journal Toxicological Sciences, the findings show that chemicals in
diesel exhaust can trigger the toxic buildup of a protein in the brain called alpha-synuclein, which is
commonly seen in people with the disease.
Previous studies have revealed that people living in areas with heightened levels of traffic-related
air pollution tend to have higher rates of Parkinson’s. To understand what the pollutants do to the
brain, Dr. Jeff Bronstein, a professor of neurology and director of the UCLA Movement Disorders
Program, tested the effect of diesel exhaust on zebrafish in the lab.
“It’s really important to be able to demonstrate whether air pollution is actually the thing that’s
causing the effect or whether it’s something else in urban environments,” Bronstein said.
Testing the chemicals on zebrafish, he said, lets researchers tease out whether air pollution
components affect brain cells in a way that could increase the risk of Parkinson’s. The freshwater
fish works well for studying molecular changes in the brain because its neurons interact in a way
similar to humans. In addition, the fish are transparent, allowing scientists to easily observe and
measure biological processes without killing the animals.
“Using zebrafish allowed us to see what was going on inside their brains at various time-points
during the study,” said Lisa Barnhill, a UCLA postdoctoral fellow and the study’s first author.
Barnhill added certain chemicals found in diesel exhaust to the water in which the zebrafish were
kept. These chemicals caused a change in the animals’ behavior, and the researchers confirmed
that neurons were dying off in the exposed fish.
Next, they investigated the activity in several pathways in the brain known to be related to
Parkinson’s disease to see precisely how the pollutant particles were contributing to cell death.
In humans, Parkinson’s disease is associated with the toxic accumulation of alpha-synuclein
proteins in the brain. One way these proteins can build up is through the disruption of autophagy
—the process of breaking down old or damaged proteins. A healthy brain continuously makes and
disposes of the proteins it needs for communication between neurons, but when this disposal
process stops working, the cells continue to make new proteins and the old ones never get cleared
away.
In Parkinson’s, alpha-synuclein proteins that would normally be disposed of pile up in toxic clumps
in and around neurons, eventually killing them and interfering with the proper functioning of the
brain. This can result in various symptoms, such as tremors and muscle rigidity.
Previous studies have revealed that people living in areas with heightened levels of traffic-related
air pollution tend to have higher rates of Parkinson’s. Image is in the public domain.
Before exposing the zebrafish to diesel particles, the researchers examined the fishes’ neurons for
the tell-tale pouches that carry out old proteins, including alpha-synuclein, as part of the
autophagy disposal operation and found that the process was working properly.
“We can actually watch them move along, and appear and disappear,” Bronstein said of the
pouches.
After diesel exposure, however, they saw far fewer of the garbage-toting pouches than normal. To
confirm that this was the reason brain cells were dying, they treated the fish with a drug that
boosts the garbage-disposal process and found that it did save the cells from dying after diesel
exposure.

To confirm that diesel could have the same effect on human neurons, the researchers replicated
the experiment using cultured human cells. Exposure to diesel exhaust had a similar effect on
those cells.
Psyber
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sun May 24, 2020 10:22 am

A short history of the Dan dynasty's debt diplomacy and decline

Historians generally regard the rule of Emperor Dan as a low point in Chinese civilisation.
Rowan Dean
Columnist
May 23, 2020 – 12.00am

The Dan dynasty (Dān wángcháo, Chinese: 丹王朝 ) or the Dan empire (not to be confused with the Dan Murphy’s empire, see separate entry) was an obscure southern outpost of the Imperial Kingdom of China during the Jinping dictatorship of the early 21st century.
Historians generally regard the Dan dynasty as a low point in Chinese civilisation: a cesspit of self-indulgent cosmopolitan culture and disastrous financial mismanagement.

The Dan dynasty reached its despotic peak during the Great Plague of 2020. JAMES ROSS
Dan territory, acquired by the cunning Emperor Xi without firing a single shot, stretched across the entire swath of inner-city latte-sipping suburbs surrounding the decadent gwái-lóu capital.
The Dan dynasty reached its despotic peak during the Great Plague of 2020, a pandemic that swept out of a bowl of bat soup in Wuhan and in which an estimated 1.5 million people didn't perish.
The Dan capital, known as the Golden City of the One Thousand Shrinking Petals and Quivering Snowflakes (present-day Melbourne), was the most forbidden city in the world at the time, thanks to the secrecy surrounding the deals the Dan had signed up to with his Beijing overlords.

When the bungling and woeful Celestial Treasurer to the Dan got down on his knees and swore undying loyalty to the Emperor Xi, it wasn't enough to save him from being garrotted after delivering a disastrous 2021 budget, in which the fiefdom’s debt had grown to over $20 billion, all of it discovered in worthless crumpled yuan notes stuffed into empty cans of baby formula.
But the Dan was able to struggle on for another 18 months by calling on his loyal armies of ambulance paramedics, firefighters, police, healthcare workers, traffic wardens and an estimated $387,842 worth of taxpayer-funded electoral officers (in red shirts, natch) to intimidate and subdue the populace.
Vassal states such as Queensland and the ACT paid verbal tribute to the Dan court, leaving the mainland Jinping dictatorship free to concentrate on crushing and subduing rebel regions such as Hong Kong in late 2020 and Taiwan in early 2022.
In the ensuing panic, the Dan signed the Imperial Acquiescence to the Belt and Road Initiative.
Through its powerful "debt diplomacy" protectorate system, the Jinping dictatorship also gained political hegemony over many neighbouring states in the South Pacific, as well as Sri Lanka and several nations in Africa.
Historians record that the Dan dynasty began with a surprising period of progress and stability in the early years of its rule, concentrating on building railway crossings and, er, building railway crossings (is that it? – ed.) until the devastating corona plague caused the deaths of at least 18 people across the entire state, including a cluster at the Celestial Abattoir and Cedar Wet Markets.
In the ensuing panic, the Dan signed the Imperial Acquiescence to the Belt and Road Initiative, locked down the borders and banned all treasonous activities such as fishing and golf. In late 2020, Emperor Dan adopted the title of Dan of All Heavenly Social Isolations.
Many notable innovations occurred under the Dan, including the development of an anti-bullying scholastic program that encouraged impressionable young girls to blossom into handsome young boys, and ponytailed and bearded young boys to blossom into attractive young ladies, and the Dan became a major centre of influence in the kingdom’s culture wars, with its academic prowess second only to the Mogul wastelands of Kazakhstan.

However, around this time the scheming eunuch Al-Bo, who everybody had forgotten even existed, committed political suicide by announcing his plan to reduce the kingdom’s net emissions to zero (except in China, of course, which was permitted under the Paris Agreement to carry on increasing its carbon dioxide output until 2030 by whatever its thousands of blossoming celestial coal-fired power plants could possibly manage).
The eunuch’s insane proclamation sent all economic activity across the land spiralling into a sharp and permanent decline; agrarian riots resulted in visual atrocities such as the Extinction Rebellions of 2019-22 where unwashed devotees glued themselves face-down to the New Silk Road before starving themselves to death on avocado and kale muffins. Paganism and the worship of religious entities such as the Goddess Gaia and the Sainted Greta flourished under the Dan, with climate cults and Malthusian sects gaining prominence in the halls of power and corporate boardrooms.
Traditional religious "hate-figures" such as Cardinal Hell were relentlessly persecuted by the authorities and thrown into jail for months on end even when they were found to be innocent.

Anthony Albanese on the far left, protesting at Sydney University about changes to the political economics course, June 15, 1983.

Labor looks lost in the battles of the 1980s
The Dan ruled from 2014 to the "long night of the incredibly sharp knives" on Saturday, November 26, 2022 at about 6pm, just after the polling booths shut, when the dynasty was wiped clean from the pages of history.
The Dan dynasty was preceded by the eminently forgettable and weak Napthine rule and followed by the prosperous era of rebuilding the economy now known as the Tim Smith Golden Age.
Rowan Dean writes on Media & Marketing specialising in Advertising, TV, Publishing. Rowan is a columnist for the Financial Review. Connect with Rowan on Twitter.

Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Psyber » Sun May 24, 2020 5:25 pm

Since the comment about climate change denial popped up further up this page it seems reasonable to pop this in here. Generally in a solar minimum the earth cools and this was considered to be the principal cause of the mini-Ice Age which ended in the late 19th century. More recently we have entered another minimum but the dreaded global warming may be saving us from another mini-ice age.

There is room for accusations of climate “denial” in both directions now!

https://electroverse.net/nasa-predicts- ... lications/
https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/n ... -is-coming
Last edited by Psyber on Mon May 25, 2020 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psyber
Coach

Postby Q. » Sun May 24, 2020 10:55 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
A short history of the Dan dynasty's debt diplomacy and decline

What the **** did I just read? The AFR was once a serious paper. It's sad to see it churning out garbage these days.
Q.
Coach

Postby Q. » Sun May 24, 2020 11:00 pm

Psyber wrote:Since the comment about climate change denial popped up further up this page it seems reasonable to pop this in here. Generally in a solar minimum the earth cools and this was considered to be the principle cause of the mini-Ice Age which ended in the late 19th century. More recently we have entered another minimum but the dreaded global warming may be saving us from another mini-ice age.

There is room for accusations of climate “denial” in both directions now!

https://electroverse.net/nasa-predicts- ... lications/
https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/n ... -is-coming

A decline in sun's energy has been rigorously examined and factored in modelling.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/solar-activity-sunspots-global-warming.htm
http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2011/06/what-if-the-sun-went-into-a-new-grand-minimum/
Q.
Coach

Postby Psyber » Mon May 25, 2020 1:10 pm

Thanks, I'll have a look at those sites.
Superficially, the idea of a newer angle to ideological conflict simply amused me at the time of posting.

I've always tended to dismiss the use use of the term "deniers" as silly abuse when it is details about the absoluteness of theories of causation that are being challenged, not that the change has been happening. Dispute in the details of science is common and some people get worked up when the details they support are challenged. Sure there are a few who dispute any change has occurred, but that is obviously not true.

My view so far - climate change is real, but the details of how it is driven, and where it is going to go, are not absolute yet.
Psyber
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon May 25, 2020 1:56 pm

Psyber wrote:Thanks, I'll have a look at those sites.
Superficially, the idea of a newer angle to ideological conflict simply amused me at the time of posting.

I've always tended to dismiss the use use of the term "deniers" as silly abuse when it is details about the absoluteness of theories of causation that are being challenged, not that the change has been happening. Dispute in the details of science is common and some people get worked up when the details they support are challenged. Sure there are a few who dispute any change has occurred, but that is obviously not true.

My view so far - climate change is real, but the details of how it is driven, and where it is going to go, are not absolute yet.

Totally agree, but you will be labelled, despised & ridiculed as a denier for saying it because the Twittereriat have "settled" the science by denouncing all contra views.
Jimmy_041
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics