Copenhagen Climate Change Conference = The League of Nations

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Copenhagen Climate Change Conference = The League of Nations

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:03 pm

With China, one of the world's biggest polluters putting the squeeze on Asian countries, it seems that the upcoming Copenhagen Climate Change Conference is the modern equivalent of the League of Nations.

For those that came in late, the League of Nations was doomed to fail as it had no authority to police it's actions and the major nations of the world were not involved or not invited. Nevermind, I'm sure there are plenty of other planets we can move to so we can have another 50-60 years here with our current unsustainable use of resources.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Re: Copenhagen Climate Change Conference = The League of Nations

Postby Loose_Arab » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:07 pm

france
Loose_Arab
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Southern Flinders

Postby fish » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:21 pm

I tend to agree with you REB. I was hoping that Copenhagen would see a binding international agreement too, but it looks like it's not going to happen. :(
I'm sad to say I think we have now missed the boat on climate change and it will be all downhill from here. :Hangman:
fish
Coach

Has liked: 184 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby Gingernuts » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:57 am

Unfortunately I think the only thing that inspires humankind to change is the absence of all other options. Once the sea is lapping at people's doorsteps you'll see things happen. All of a sudden there will be no more petrol cars, solar farms, wind energy. Unfortunately it will probably be too late to prevent permanent damage though.
Gingernuts
League - Top 5

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Langhorne Creek

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:23 am

Gingernuts wrote:Unfortunately I think the only thing that inspires humankind to change is the absence of all other options. Once the sea is lapping at people's doorsteps you'll see things happen. All of a sudden there will be no more petrol cars, solar farms, wind energy. Unfortunately it will probably be too late to prevent permanent damage though.

Lucky my beach house is 2 storey - I can fish from the balcony
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 726 times
Been liked: 1080 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Psyber » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:19 pm

I'm happily living at an altitude of about 450 metres, waiting for the beach to come to me.... 8)
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Ronnie » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:36 pm

Don't sullly the League of Nations like that.
If i have it right, a non binding deal was agreed to by 26 of the 192 nations present. Nothing of note in it apart from some agreed climate aid. A Greenpeace member called Copenhagen a 'crime scene', but Tim Flannery thought it was a good outcome. What's next for Tim??
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby Jimmy » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:51 pm

Copenhagen was all a bit of a farce...the CC debate is all about making money for certain contradicting people...sure we need to curb our uses but with recent findings being falsified to say its worse than what it really is, its all a bit of a joke. Its being labeled that over here for the so-called saviour in charge :lol: :roll:
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby redandblack » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:40 pm

You trust American analysis of world events :shock:

and/or

You watch Fox ;)
redandblack

Postby Jimmy » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:00 am

redandblack wrote:You trust American analysis of world events :shock:

and/or

You watch Fox ;)

I trust what americans have to say about other americans involved in those world events ;)

i do watch fox...fair and balanced :)

I also watch other channels too and fox isnt the only ones crapping on copenhagen.
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Postby fish » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:29 am

Jimmy wrote:Copenhagen was all a bit of a farce...the CC debate is all about making money for certain contradicting people...sure we need to curb our uses but with recent findings being falsified to say its worse than what it really is, its all a bit of a joke. Its being labeled that over here for the so-called saviour in charge :lol: :roll:

Jimmy could you please elaborate on these two statements?
fish
Coach

Has liked: 184 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby redandblack » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:46 am

Jimmy wrote:
redandblack wrote:You trust American analysis of world events :shock:

and/or

You watch Fox ;)

I trust what americans have to say about other americans involved in those world events ;)

i do watch fox...fair and balanced :)
I also watch other channels too and fox isnt the only ones crapping on copenhagen.

Thought so :D
redandblack

Postby Jimmy » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:30 am

fish wrote:
Jimmy wrote:Copenhagen was all a bit of a farce...the CC debate is all about making money for certain contradicting people...sure we need to curb our uses but with recent findings being falsified to say its worse than what it really is, its all a bit of a joke. Its being labeled that over here for the so-called saviour in charge :lol: :roll:

No 1 - Al Gore, hypocrite, telling people they HAVE to do this and that to save the climate yet has his own private jet to fly him around...he has made more money through this endeavor than anything before. People can make money on such things, but you'd think they would lead by example.

No 2 - there were leaks from scientists who said that they changed reports and didnt report certain findings that didnt back up the current position on climate change and gave no urgency to the matter as is being presented. I can provide examples from new sources on these...would have been in the papers/online over here about 1-2 weeks ago.

I am all for looking after the environment and doing things to curb our influence but the way certain ppl shove it down our throats is disgusting.
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Postby Jimmy » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:39 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/21/science/earth/21climate.html

feel free to read up on it some more, just google climate change emails/hacked etc etc.
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:43 am

So....from what I've read about the proposed Government initiative, Rudd's plan was to:

1. Tax the power companies
2. Recompense the power companies for the tax
3. Partly recompense us for the higher power bills
4. Recompense the people on lower wages 120% of their higher cost

Sounds fair :shock:
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Psyber » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:32 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:So....from what I've read about the proposed Government initiative, Rudd's plan was to:

1. Tax the power companies
2. Recompense the power companies for the tax
3. Partly recompense us for the higher power bills
4. Recompense the people on lower wages 120% of their higher cost

Sounds fair :shock:
None of which actually reduces pollution - classic window dressing, and just a new tax on working people...
I suppose they could put up the argument the bigger power bills would reduce consumption, but I doubt it would happen - we are not going to go back to candles and woolly hats.
I hadn't worked through it in detail, but that was what I saw in a quick read through, too.
In contrast the German government and BMW are already rolling out Hydrogen refuelling stations, as petrol engines can convert to Hydrogen fuel fairly easily.
And, BMW are already marketing cars specifically designed for Hydrogen fuel.
Psyber
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:16 pm

More like a massive redistribution of wealth

Glad I have shares in EDE - look it up on the ASX
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby oldfella » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:30 pm

Perhaps off topic but this was sent to me and fascinated me (note - may not be 100% accurate)

Below is a list of the 114 Australian’s going to Copenhagen – we (you and I) are paying for all their travel, accommodation and meals – and "we thought Kevin Rudd and Penny Wong were genuine" about trying to cut greenhouse gases…
(NB. India and other major players have delegations of only 20-40 pax.)
Read on and marvel:

Australia

H.E. Mr. Kevin Michael Rudd Prime Minister
    H.E. Ms. Penelope Wong Minister, Climate Change and Water Office of the Minister for Climate Change and Water
    H.E. Ms. Louise Helen Hand Ambassador for Climate Change Department of Climate Change
    Mr. David Fredericks Deputy Chief of Staff Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
    Mr. Philip Green Oam Senior Policy Adviser, Foreign Affairs Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
    Mr. Andrew Charlton Senior Adviser Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
    Mr. Lachlan Harris Senior Press Secretary Prime Minister’s Office Office of Prime Minister
    Mr. Scott Dewar Senior Adviser Office of Prime Minister
    Ms. Clare Penrose Adviser Office of Prime Minister
    Ms. Fiona Sugden Media Adviser Office of Prime Minister
    Ms. Lisa French Office of the Prime Minister Office of Prime Minister
    Mr. Jeremy Hilman Adviser Office of Prime Minister
    Ms. Tarah Barzanji Adviser Office of Prime Minister
    Mr. Kate Shaw Executive Secretary Office of Prime Minister
    Ms. Gaile Barnes Executive Assistant Office of Prime Minister
    Ms. Gordon de Brouwer Deputy Secretary Prime Minister and Cabinet
    Mr. Patrick Suckling First Assistant Secretary, International Division Prime Minister and Cabinet
    Ms. Rebecca Christie Prime Minister’s Office
    Mr. Michael Jones Official Photographer Prime Minister and Cabinet
    Mr. Stephan Rudzki
    Mr. David Bell Federal Agent Australian Federal Police
    Ms. Kym Baillie Australian Federal Police
    Mr. David Champion Australian Federal Police
    Mr. Matt Jebb Federal Agent Australian Federal Police
    Mr. Craig Kendall Federal Agent Australian Federal Police
    Mr. Ian Lane Squadron Leader Staff, Officer VIP Operations
    Mr. John Olenich Media Adviser / Adviser to Minister Wong Office of the Minister for Climate Change and Water
    Ms. Kristina Hickey Adviser to Minister Wong Office of the Minister for Climate Change and Water
    Mr. Martin Parkinson Secretary Department of Climate Change
    Mr. Howard Bamsey Special Envoy for Climate Change Department of Climate Change
    Mr. Robert Owen-Jones Assistant Secretary, International Division Department of Climate Change
    Ms. Clare Walsh Assistant Secretary, International Division Department of Climate Change
    Ms. Jenny Elizabeth Wilkinson Policy Advisor Department of Climate Change
    Ms. Elizabeth Mary Peak Principal Legal Adviser, International Climate Law Department of Climate Change
    Ms. Kristin Tilley Director, Multilateral Negotiations International Division Department of Climate Change
    Mr. Andrew Ure Acting Director, Multilateral Negotiations International Division Department of Climate Change
    Ms. Annemarie Watt Director, Land Sector Negotiations International Division Department of Climate Change
    Ms. Kushla Munro Director, International Forest Carbon Section International Division Department of Climate Change
    Ms. Kathleen Annette Rowley Director, Strategic and Technical Analysis Department of Climate Change
    Ms. Anitra Cowan Assistant Director, Multilateral Negotiations Department of Climate Change
    Ms. Sally Truong Assisting Director, Multilateral Negotiations International Division Department of Climate Change
    Ms. Jane Wilkinson Assistant Director Department of Climate Change
    Ms. Tracey Mackay Assistant Director International Division Department of Climate Change
    Ms. Laura Brown Assistant Director, Multilateral Negotiations International Division Department of Climate Change
    Ms. Tracey-Anne Leahey Delegation Manager Department of Climate Change
    Ms. Nicola Loffler Senior Legal Adviser, International Climate Law Department of Climate Change
    Ms. Tamara Curll Legal Adviser, International Climate Law Department of Climate Change
    Ms. Jessica Allen Legal Support Officer Department of Climate Change
    Mr. Sanjiva de Silva Legal Adviser, International Climate Law Department of Climate Change
    Ms. Gaia Puleston Political Adviser Department of Climate Change
    Ms. Penelope Jane Morton Policy Adviser, Multilateral Negotiations (UNFCCC) International Division Department of Climate Change
    Ms. Claire Elizabeth Watt Policy Advisor Department of Climate Change
    Ms. Amanda Walker Policy Officer, Multilateral Negotiations Department of Climate Change
    Mr. Alan David Lee Policy Adviser, Land Sector Negotiations Department of Climate Change
    Ms. Erika Kate Oord Australian Stakeholder Manager Department of Climate Change
    Mr. Jahda Kirian Swanborough Communications Manager Ministerial Communication Department of Climate Change
    H.E. Mr. Sharyn Minahan Ambassador DFAT Diplomatic Mission of Australia to Denmark
    Ms. Julia Feeney Director, Climate Change and Environment Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
    Mr. Chester Geoffrey Cunningham Second Secretary DFAT Diplomatic Mission of Australia to Germany
    Ms. Rachael Virginia Cooper Executive Officer, Climate Change and Environment Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
    Ms. Rachael Grivas Executive Officer, Environment Branch Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
    Moya Elyn Collett Desk officer, Climate Change and Environment Section Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
    Mr. Rob Law Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
    Mr. Robin Davies Assistant Director General, Sustainable Development Group Australian Agency for International Development
    Ms. Deborah Fulton Director, Policy and Global Environment Australian Agency for International Development
    Ms. Katherine Renee Ann Vaughn Policy Advisor, Policy and Global Environment Australian Agency for International Development
    Mr. Brian Dawson Policy Adviser Australian Agency for International Development
    Mr. Andrew Leigh Clarke Deputy Secretary Department of Resources Development, Western Australia
    Mr. Bruce Wilson General Manager, Environment Energy and Environment Division Department of Resources Development, Western Australia
    Ms. Jill McCarthy Policy Adviser Department of Resources, Energy and Tourism
    Mr. Simon French Policy Adviser Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
    Mr. Ian Michael Ruscoe Policy Adviser Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
    Mr. David Walland Acting Superintendent, National Climate Centre Bureau of Meteorology
    Mr. Damien Dunn Senior Policy Adviser The Australian Treasury
    Ms. Helen Hawka Fuhrman Policy Officer, Renewable Energy Policy and Partnerships
    Mr. Scott Vivian Davenport Chief Economics NSW Department of Industry and Investment
    Mr. Graham Julian Levitt Policy Manager, Climate Change NSW Department of Industry and Investment
    Ms. Kate Jennifer Jones Minister, Climate Change and Sustainability Queensland Government
    Mr. Michael William Dart Principal Policy Advisor Office of the Hon. Kate Jones MP Queensland Government
    Mr. Matthew Anthony Jamie Skoien Senior Director, Office of Climate Change Queensland Government
    Mr. Michael David Rann Premier, South Australia Department of Premier and Cabinet, Southern Australia
    Ms. Suzanne Kay Harter Adviser Department of Premier and Cabinet, Southern Australia
    Mr. Paul David Flanagan Manager, Communications Government of South Australia
    Mr. Timothy William O’Loughlin Deputy Chief Executive, Sustainability and Workforce Management Department of Premier and Cabinet South Australian Government
    Ms. Nyla Sarwar M.Sc student Linacre College University of Oxford
    Mr. Gavin Jennings Minister, Environment and Climate Change and Innovation, Victorian Government
    Ms. Sarah Broadbent Sustainability Adviser
    Ms. Rebecca Falkingham Senior Adviser Victoria Government/Office of Climate Change
    Mr. Simon Camroux Policy Adviser Energy Supply Association of Australia Limited
    Mr. Geoff Lake Adviser Australian Local Government Association Sridhar Ayyalaraju Post Visit Controller DFAT Diplomatic Mission of Australia to Denmark
    Mr. Tegan Brink Deputy Visit Controller and Security Liaison Officer Diplomatic Mission of Australia to Denmark
    Ms. Melissa Eu Suan Goh Transport Liaison Officer and Consul DFAT Diplomatic Mission of Australia to Denmark
    Ms. Lauren Henschke Support Staff DFAT Diplomatic Mission of Australia to Denmark
    Ms. Maree Fay Accommodation Liaison Officer DFAT Diplomatic Mission of Australia to Denmark
    Ms. Patricia McKinnon Communications Officer DFAT Diplomatic Mission of Australia to Denmark
    Eugene Olim Passport / Baggage Liaison Officer DFAT Diplomatic Mission of Australia to Denmark
    Ms. Belinda Lee Adams
    Ms. Jacqui Ashworth Media Liaison Officer Diplomatic Mission of Australia to Denmark
    Ms. Patricia Smith Media Liaison Officer DFAT Diplomatic Mission of Australia to Denmark
    Mr. Martin Bo Jensen Research and Public Diplomatic Officer DFAT Diplomatic Mission of Australia to Denmark
    Mr. Mauro Kolobaric Consular Support DFAT Diplomatic Mission of Australia to Denmark
    Ms. Susan Flanagan Consular Support DFAT Diplomatic Mission of Australia to Denmark
    Mr. Stephen Kanaridis IT Support Officer DFAT Diplomatic Mission of Australia to Denmark
    Mr. George Reid Support Staff DFAT Diplomatic Mission of Australia to Denmark
    Ms. Ashley Wright Support Staff DFAT Diplomatic Mission of Australia to Denmark
    Ms. Jodie Littlewood Support Staff DFAT Diplomatic Mission of Australia to Denmark
    Mr. Thomas Millhouse Support Staff DFAT Diplomatic Mission of Australia to Denmark
    Mr. Timothy Whittley Support Staff Driver DFAT Diplomatic Mission of Australia to Denmark
    Ms. Julia Thomson Diplomatic Mission of Australia to Denmark
    Mr. Donald Frater Chief of Staff to Minister Wong Office of the Minister for Climate Change and Water
    Ms. Jacqui Smith Media Liaison DFAT Diplomatic Mission of Australia to Denmark
    Mr. Greg French Senior Legal Advisor, Environment Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
    Mr. Jeremy Hillman Advisor PMO
oldfella
Under 16s

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby Psyber » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:38 pm

And it reads like those who are not pollies, or their staff, are administrators rather than true scientists...
Why am I not surprised....
Psyber
Coach

Postby Gozu » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:25 pm

fish wrote:

Don't bother with the flat-earthers mate. It doesn't matter what mainstream science says they just keep changing the goal posts when pulled up. Look at Ian Plimer's humiliating performance on Lateline the other week, they're all about trying to muddy the waters.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Been liked: 660 times

Next

Board index   General Talk  Politics