The South Australian Political Landscape

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

Postby morell » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:49 am

jo172 wrote:
morell wrote:
jo172 wrote:
morell wrote:Welp, democracy at work. Surprised at some of the results, especially the poor showing for SA Best.

All the best to the new Marshall government. I was thinking that there is a whole swathe of people under 30 that have never had a conservative state government. Will be interesting to see how they like it.

Look at the way the ALP has governed, particularly things like sentencing reforms.

The government will not turn any more conservative. Particularly given the vanquishment of Bernardi

They'll certainly be more conservative than a left controlled Labor. If they deliver on some of their election promises and policies, it'll be a significantly more conservative state environment than a generation has ever experienced, at least.

Funny the things it impacts though. As I was walking out of the cinema I was contemplating how it might impact me. First thing was - I am line for a promotion at work, but it means giving up tenure and taking a 3 year contract. If the Liberals pass rate capping, it'll land right about then. I'll be noping out of that one thank you very much.

Left controlled Labor?

Owned and operated by the SDA. The same SDA that opposes gay marriage and abortion.

The SDA is about Bernardi level of social conservatism. Google what Don Farrell actually believes
I am not sure of the specific factions and all their members Union affiliations. just know that Labor have been led by a very strong Labor Left Premier who has championed numerous progressive policies.

A Liberal government will see a shift away from that. I don't think we'll ever see a full tilt crazy right Government (for too long anyway) but it'll be a change for lot of people. At a macro level, simple things like building a bunch of stuff with the public purse, will see a correction.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby StrayDog » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:20 am

RustyCage wrote:
MW wrote:Is Tarzia a used car salesman? #sleazy #dodgy

He was all over Marshall, hugs, high fives, back slaps, he couldn’t get enough!

Was Tarzia the smarmy histrionic nerk sharing the lime-light with Marshall during the victory speech?
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1147 times
Been liked: 194 times

Postby MW » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:32 am

StrayDog wrote:
RustyCage wrote:
MW wrote:Is Tarzia a used car salesman? #sleazy #dodgy

He was all over Marshall, hugs, high fives, back slaps, he couldn’t get enough!

Was Tarzia the smarmy histrionic nerk sharing the lime-light with Marshall during the victory speech?

yep
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2598 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby MW » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:35 am

morell wrote:A Liberal government will see a shift away from that. I don't think we'll ever see a full tilt crazy right Government (for too long anyway) but it'll be a change for lot of people. At a macro level, simple things like building a bunch of stuff with the public purse, will see a correction.

This is what concerns me considering my wife works for a company who manage road works around SA
MW
Coach

Postby am Bays » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:16 am

MW wrote:
morell wrote:A Liberal government will see a shift away from that. I don't think we'll ever see a full tilt crazy right Government (for too long anyway) but it'll be a change for lot of people. At a macro level, simple things like building a bunch of stuff with the public purse, will see a correction.

This is what concerns me considering my wife works for a company who manage road works around SA

There'll still be roadworks and infrastructure builds around the State but now just where they're actually needed: Oaklands Crossing (thinks to Wingards pushing for over 4 years and the Federal funds), Horrocks Hwy and hopefully the Swanport bridge duplication. Infrastructure that's need not just the whim to get some city votes i.e. the O-Bahn tunnel.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1807 times

Postby morell » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:36 am

Same arguments were made about Adelaide Oval and the nRAH. But, that's what it's all about I suppose.

As I said, there are a whole bunch of people that voted out Labor because of "muhh powerrrr berls" that have never experienced a conservative Government.

They might love it, I dunno, just saying it'll be interesting.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:40 pm

MW wrote:

You might get to see her now mate
I’ve never seen such disruption on the roads before this past few months

It’s certainly extinguished the 20 mins to anywhere in Adelaide comments
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:55 pm

jo172 wrote:
morell wrote:
jo172 wrote:
morell wrote:
Look at the way the ALP has governed, particularly things like sentencing reforms.

The government will not turn any more conservative. Particularly given the vanquishment of Bernardi

They'll certainly be more conservative than a left controlled Labor. If they deliver on some of their election promises and policies, it'll be a significantly more conservative state environment than a generation has ever experienced, at least.

Funny the things it impacts though. As I was walking out of the cinema I was contemplating how it might impact me. First thing was - I am line for a promotion at work, but it means giving up tenure and taking a 3 year contract. If the Liberals pass rate capping, it'll land right about then. I'll be noping out of that one thank you very much.

Left controlled Labor?

Owned and operated by the SDA. The same SDA that opposes gay marriage and abortion.

The SDA is about Bernardi level of social conservatism. Google what Don Farrell actually believes
I am not sure of the specific factions and all their members Union affiliations. just know that Labor have been led by a very strong Labor Left Premier who has championed numerous progressive policies.

A Liberal government will see a shift away from that. I don't think we'll ever see a full tilt crazy right Government (for too long anyway) but it'll be a change for lot of people. At a macro level, simple things like building a bunch of stuff with the public purse, will see a correction.

The SDA didn’t have any choice other than agree to Weatherill
Mullighan wasn’t ready
Koutsantonis wanted it and would have garrotted anyone else on the right if they got it (hi Ranndy)
Now they have Malinauskas, and if he screws up, they have Mullighan to fall back on
The cross preference deal with AC in Lee was interesting. I wonder why that happened from the Labor side? :-?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby MW » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:33 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
MW wrote:

You might get to see her now mate
I’ve never seen such disruption on the roads before this past few months

It’s certainly extinguished the 20 mins to anywhere in Adelaide comments

I see her enough as it is :lol:
MW
Coach

Postby jo172 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:54 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
jo172 wrote:
morell wrote:They'll certainly be more conservative than a left controlled Labor. If they deliver on some of their election promises and policies, it'll be a significantly more conservative state environment than a generation has ever experienced, at least.

Left controlled Labor?

The SDA didn’t have any choice other than agree to Weatherill
Mullighan wasn’t ready
Koutsantonis wanted it and would have garrotted anyone else on the right if they got it (hi Ranndy)
Now they have Malinauskas, and if he screws up, they have Mullighan to fall back on
The cross preference deal with AC in Lee was interesting. I wonder why that happened from the Labor side? :-?[/quote]

The Conservatives look like they'll secure the final LC seat on Labor preferences.

The idea that the South Australian Labor party isn't a force for social conservatism is a fantasy
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Gozu » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:10 pm

jo172 wrote:The Conservatives look like they'll secure the final LC seat on Labor preferences.

The idea that the South Australian Labor party isn't a force for social conservatism is a fantasy

SA Best wasn’t the only minor party who had a disappointing night. Cory Bernardi’s Australian Conservatives has flunked its first electoral test, going backwards compared with Family First’s performance in 2014 and almost certainly losing one of its two upper house seats. Its vote fell an average 2.7% out of the 33 lower house seats it contested, reducing to 1.1% in the four seats where they didn’t face competition from SA Best. The Greens vote was little changed, dropping by 0.2% overall, but increasing by 0.6% in the 11 seats that were uncontested by SA Best. The party will clearly retain its upper house seat, maintaining its representation of two seats overall.

https://www.pollbludger.net/2018/03/18/ ... e-lucky-2/
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Magellan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:29 pm

jo172 wrote:SA Best wasn’t the only minor party who had a disappointing night. Cory Bernardi’s Australian Conservatives has flunked its first electoral test, going backwards compared with Family First’s performance in 2014 and almost certainly losing one of its two upper house seats. Its vote fell an average 2.7% out of the 33 lower house seats it contested, reducing to 1.1% in the four seats where they didn’t face competition from SA Best.

The silent minority has spoken.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby stan » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:18 pm

SA best badly ran out of steam.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:14 am

It was the ad, pure and simple, even those who were thinking about voting SA Best realized the bloke was a clown when that his the airwaves. Lack of policy aside, keep in mind not all voters actually care about policy some work purely on popularity, the ad was his death sentence.

He'd be a broken man I reckon.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby jo172 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:21 am

Magellan wrote:
jo172 wrote:SA Best wasn’t the only minor party who had a disappointing night. Cory Bernardi’s Australian Conservatives has flunked its first electoral test, going backwards compared with Family First’s performance in 2014 and almost certainly losing one of its two upper house seats. Its vote fell an average 2.7% out of the 33 lower house seats it contested, reducing to 1.1% in the four seats where they didn’t face competition from SA Best.

The silent minority has spoken.

Indeed, but Brokenshire still gets to sit in parliament likely from the flow of ALP preferences after their deal in Lee.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:25 am

Booney wrote:It was the ad, pure and simple, even those who were thinking about voting SA Best realized the bloke was a clown when that his the airwaves. Lack of policy aside, keep in mind not all voters actually care about policy some work purely on popularity, the ad was his death sentence.

From chatting to plenty in the industry the AHA and numerous high profile publicans ran a pretty good anti Nick campaign.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:48 am

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:It was the ad, pure and simple, even those who were thinking about voting SA Best realized the bloke was a clown when that his the airwaves. Lack of policy aside, keep in mind not all voters actually care about policy some work purely on popularity, the ad was his death sentence.

From chatting to plenty in the industry the AHA and numerous high profile publicans ran a pretty good anti Nick campaign.

Nursing and midwifery and the AHA certainly hit some decent blows.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:53 am

Jim05 wrote:

Interesting the whinges from two parties:
SA Best about the AHA campaign. What did you expect? Them to just sit there whilst you royally shag them?
Labor about the redistribution: "4 Melbourne Cups and the handicapper finally got us" The Full Bench (all appointed by the Labor Govt) of the Supreme Court unanimously dismissed Labor's appeal. The match referee finally caught up with you is closer to the truth
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:55 am

I heard on 5AA this morning that 7 of the last 8 elections, the Libs had the majority of the popular vote. Clearly the boundaries needed to change.
MW
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:56 am

Koutsantonis making an absolute idiot of himself on ABC891
Last edited by Jimmy_041 on Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy_041
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics