The South Australian Political Landscape

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

Postby Magellan » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:00 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:The State Govt getting ready for the opening ceremonies for the March election

And with all those roadworks, a financial boon for cigarette and Iced Coffee vendors all across metro Adelaide.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Booney » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:23 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:The State Govt getting ready for the opening ceremonies for the March election

The roads are shit.

I hate roadworks.

Which on is it then?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby MW » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:15 pm

I have no problem with roadworks. The way they do it these days with contraflows the impact is minimal. I've been going through torrens to torrens since the beginning and have noticed no impact to my travel time.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Psyber » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:42 pm

I thought some of you may find this perspective over the decades interesting.
It looks like it runs over the period from 1980 to about 2015...

House affordability.jpg
House affordability.jpg (50.06 KiB) Viewed 311 times
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby heater31 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:41 am

MHS in the shit for accepting a raffle prize worth $5000. He knows he's cooked!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:44 am

Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby shoe boy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:10 pm

shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:21 pm

Psyber wrote:I thought some of you may find this perspective over the decades interesting.
It looks like it runs over the period from 1980 to about 2015...

House affordability.jpg

He's gone Psyber.........
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Psyber » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:33 pm

heater31 wrote:MHS in the shit for accepting a raffle prize worth $5000. He knows he's cooked!

Next morning donated it to Bedford Industries to be raffled by them.
Psyber
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:22 am

Psyber wrote:
heater31 wrote:MHS in the shit for accepting a raffle prize worth $5000. He knows he's cooked!

Next morning after some backlash and the shit coming down on him he donated it to Bedford Industries to be raffled by them.

That's what happened. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Psyber » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:01 pm

Booney wrote:
Psyber wrote:

Next morning after some backlash and the shit coming down on him he donated it to Bedford Industries to be raffled by them.

That's what happened. ;)

You may be right for all I know from personal investigation, although yesterday when I was taking to them at a party function several Liberal state pollies and officials said they thought the media reaction was over the top, but of course they conceded that none of them would say anything that might take the pressure off him publicly.

I do think the media these days don't just report facts, but over-dramatise everything and put on it the most negative spin possible to whip up attention. We don't know what his real intentions were really.

It a bit like the drama over the dual citizenship issue - the media whip up a frenzy if they can. I liked and have sympathy for this quote from Barnaby Joyce even I'm not particularly a fan of him and his general policies.
"Everywhere I go, the overwhelming sentiment in the New England is people are saying: 'How could you be born in the Tamworth Base Hospital, where your great grandmother was born in Tamworth, where your great grandfather was born in Glen Innes, where you served in the Australian Army Reserves and somehow you are not an Australian? I mean, does that work?'"

"To be quite frank I have a hard time trying to explain that to them."
Psyber
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:20 pm

Psyber wrote:

It a bit like the drama over the dual citizenship issue - the media whip up a frenzy if they can. I liked and have sympathy for this quote from Barnaby Joyce even I'm not particularly a fan of him and his general policies.
"Everywhere I go, the overwhelming sentiment in the New England is people are saying: 'How could you be born in the Tamworth Base Hospital, where your great grandmother was born in Tamworth, where your great grandfather was born in Glen Innes, where you served in the Australian Army Reserves and somehow you are not an Australian? I mean, does that work?'"

"To be quite frank I have a hard time trying to explain that to them."

Politicians are happy to debate technicalities at any point. This is the ultimate technicality - that's why.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:40 pm

Considering MHS flies the world, constantly gets upgraded, gets into the Chairman's Club, stays in 5 star hotels, travels in limos, and keeps his frequent flyer points for personal use, all on the public purse; it was a pretty selfish and very dumb decision. Bur, that's what he's known for: selfish and very dumb decisions
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby tipper » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:46 am

Psyber wrote:I do think the media these days don't just report facts, but over-dramatise everything and put on it the most negative spin possible to whip up attention. We don't know what his real intentions were really.

i think we can point to his intentions surely? he said at the time "i know the convention is a redraw, but my wife will kill me" no hint of keeping it for donating to charity in that statement surely?

Psyber wrote:It a bit like the drama over the dual citizenship issue - the media whip up a frenzy if they can.

well in that case i think it was also justified. its a black an white rule. and they just werent eligible to be elected. how can they be trusted to run the country when they cant even have a cursory check to see if the meet their own rules!

if it were up to me (and i think we can all agree we are glad its not) they should be asked to pay back their wages, and pensions earned in the time that they fraudulently held their positions. one of them was deputy pm ffs. he was acting pm anytime turnbull was unavailable, and he wasnt even supposed to be a member of parliament. in any other law, ignorance is no excuse, and it should be even less of one with a person given the reins of the whole country
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Psyber » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:30 pm

Human beings sometimes overlook remote possibilities like accidentally being a citizen of a country they have never lived in, or were not born in.

If I hadn't considered going to live in the UK for a while at one time and researched it, it would never have occurred to me that being born in Adelaide of a British mother prior to 1945 could make me eligible for British citizenship - in fact back in 2007-8 it wouldn't have - I'd have just been entitled to "Right of Abode".

The UK has since had the cheek to change their law without letting me know!!
I found that out when I re-checked there rules recently when this furore erupted recently,
It would cost me about $2000.00 to check it out and make sure,,,

If I'd become an MP with a clear conscious back in 2008 I'd potentially be in trouble now too.

That said the parties do need to get their act together and vet these things at least until we can set up a constitution that focusses on intent or negligence not just accident or foreign law changes.
Psyber
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:57 pm

They are required to sign a Statutory Declaration on their nomination for parliament that they are a not a dual citizen.

So if they dont take all reasonable steps to ensure that they arent, they deserve no sympathy.

Having said that, in this day and age I really dont think it matters if someone is a dual citizen - I would be happy if the constitution was changed to allow dual citizens into parliament
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby tipper » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:15 am

ive never checked into the possibility of me having dual citizenship either. however, ive also never signed a stat dec stating that i am not one.

surely it would be up to me to check something like that before signing a declaration that i am categorically no one, no? or do people routinely sign things without actually checking into what they are signing?

they are just squealing because they have been caught out in a trap set by other pollies. they make arbitrary rules that we all have to follow, but arent happy when they are held to the same standard. stuff em.
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:27 am

Psyber wrote:Human beings sometimes overlook remote possibilities like accidentally being a citizen of a country they have never lived in, or were not born in.

If I hadn't considered going to live in the UK for a while at one time and researched it, it would never have occurred to me that being born in Adelaide of a British mother prior to 1945 could make me eligible for British citizenship - in fact back in 2007-8 it wouldn't have - I'd have just been entitled to "Right of Abode".

The UK has since had the cheek to change their law without letting me know!!
I found that out when I re-checked there rules recently when this furore erupted recently,
It would cost me about $2000.00 to check it out and make sure,,,

If I'd become an MP with a clear conscious back in 2008 I'd potentially be in trouble now too.

That said the parties do need to get their act together and vet these things at least until we can set up a constitution that focusses on intent or negligence not just accident or foreign law changes.

As you know, Psyb, parties go through a very strict vetting process (excepting One Nation, it would seem) before candidates can even run for an election. They are asked about potential skeletons in their closet - previous offences, drug addictions, jilted lovers, family situations, mental health etc. And I understand that the Liberal party's vetting is extremely thorough on all of those fronts. Heck, I know of a candidate who took along three suitcases of newspaper clippings from their writing days so that it could be vetted.
You would think the question would be asked, "were your parents born overseas?" would be amongst those sturdy questions. Given the dual citizenship question is a significant clause in being elected, you'd think people would at least check.
If you are a candidate, with a major party, that $2000 can easily come from campaign coffers. An internet check would suffice for some of these things.
It's possibly up for debate that the current rules are archaic, but they're rules, they're pretty basic rules. Politicians debate points of protocol all of the, yet they couldn't get this right? Pretty ordinary. It's basic.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:53 am

So X has 7 candidates running in marginal Liberal seats at this point.

He noted this morning that he's "hopeful" of having as many candidates running in Labor held seats.

The election is 4 1/2 months away, surely it's leaving a run fairly late to throw new candidates into seats now?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:15 am

Booney wrote:So X has 7 candidates running in marginal Liberal seats at this point.

He noted this morning that he's "hopeful" of having as many candidates running in Labor held seats.

The election is 4 1/2 months away, surely it's leaving a run fairly late to throw new candidates into seats now?

Do you know the current candidates in your seats besides the incumbent?

I don’t. And probably won’t until the posters start coming out :)
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics