The South Australian Political Landscape

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:59 am

heater31 wrote:
morell wrote:Crowds are down, revenue is down, sponsors dropping off. It's also massively overpriced.

People don't like it because it boorish, unseemly and attracts **** head bogans. Costs a piss load of public money and causes significant inconvenience, not just for Eastern Suburb types, but for anyone wanting to access the City, or go through it.

It's a relic of a time gone by. Time to freshen it up and move it on.

Crowds down? Got within 500 odd people of the best ever Thursday crowd set over 10 years ago.

Conscious decision was made not to sign a naming rights sponsor for the 20th Anniversary.

Probably right on the overpriced bit but I'll still watch it most likely on Foxtel if I dont attend the track.

$100 for Sunday, Robbie Williams stand alone concert $150+...over priced?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:05 pm

seems to be the done thing around adelaide - take potshots at things you personally have no interest in.

in fact morell has called people out on the same thing in the past
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby jo172 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:56 pm

What intrigues me with Clipsal is when they claim the $65 million beer net benefit what accounting (if any) is caused for the lack of productivity it relates in.

People being at work less and averse to entering the CBD during Clipsal week undoubtedly has an effect. Likely not enough to cancel $65 mill, but I suspect it's not insignificant
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:05 pm

people averse to etering the CBD? the CBD is bloody packed this time of year due to fringe and adelaide 500!

people taking this week off work to spend money in the cbd is still a net benefit if those people are getting paid for their leave regardless
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:07 pm

This is the only time of the year people actually go into the CBD! :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby jo172 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:14 pm

bennymacca wrote:people averse to etering the CBD? the CBD is bloody packed this time of year due to fringe and adelaide 500!

people taking this week off work to spend money in the cbd is still a net benefit if those people are getting paid for their leave regardless

As a micro example I tend to (sadly) have to work most weekends after which I'll do a shop at the Central Market.

Not a hope in hell I'll be doing that this weekend.

I'm not Robinson Crusoe there.

There would be a significant net effect on the economic benefits of the race. What it is, and how you'd go about measuring it accurately I have no idea.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:18 pm

jo172 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:people averse to etering the CBD? the CBD is bloody packed this time of year due to fringe and adelaide 500!

As a micro example I tend to (sadly) have to work most weekends after which I'll do a shop at the Central Market.

There would be a significant net effect on the economic benefits of the race. What it is, and how you'd go about measuring it accurately I have no idea.

thats true, there would be people like yourself who it would affect. Would it affect traffic that much down the central market end though?

I think the benefits still outweigh the drawbacks though.

Whether you have to pack it all into march is another argument. I tend to think it works just because the city is buzzing for the month and makes it a place people want to go to - if you spread it all out the events might lose the atmosphere a little.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:18 pm

From modest beginnings in 1998 - earning $13 million for the state in the first year - last year's event banked $39.5 million, the South Australian Tourism Commission says.

"The Adelaide 500 has become Australia's largest domestic motorsport event, providing an accumulated $545.8 million in economic benefit to the state, creating over 400 full-time equivalent jobs per year, and filling Adelaide's hotels, motels and caravan parks with interstate and overseas visitors,'' race general manager Nathan Cayzer said.

But a couple of people can't go shopping.

#adelaide
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby morell » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:10 pm

Booney wrote:
morell wrote:
Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:why are people so against the event? brings lots of people and money into the state and is actually profitable unlike the F1

I have been before but i have very little interest in it. doesnt mean its not good for the state though. people who are disrupted by it can suck it up for a few weeks a year :D

Absolutely, it's up there with Bathurst for the people who follow the sport and it's far easier to access and far easier to attend in so many aspects. Flights, accommodation etc.

Pisses me off when the eastern suburbs folks complain their silk tie is getting wrinkles in it because their 20 minute commute has turned into 45 minutes for 6 days a year. Suck it up.

As for moving it, why?
Crowds are down, revenue is down, sponsors dropping off. It's also massively overpriced.

People don't like it because it boorish, unseemly and attracts **** head bogans. Costs a piss load of public money and causes significant inconvenience, not just for Eastern Suburb types, but for anyone wanting to access the City, or go through it.

It's a relic of a time gone by. Time to freshen it up and move it on.

One weekend a year that 240,000+ people attend, I think you're wrong but it's not something you'll admit so whatever.
I didn't say low, I said down. They've been on a decline.

I'd assume that's because the novelty has worn off, but I haven't studied it as it honestly doesn't interest me.

What does interest me is the poor timing and location of the event.

There's clearly a demand for it, I don't think it should be cancelled, just retimed and moved.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby bennymacca » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:12 pm

its a perfect location. because its in the city where everything else is.

thats why it was so successful, and why it has been copied by other events. its not just a race, its the concerts, the nightlife afterwards, etc etc
bennymacca
Coach

Postby morell » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:19 pm

bennymacca wrote:its a perfect location. because its in the city where everything else is.

thats why it was so successful, and why it has been copied by other events. its not just a race, its the concerts, the nightlife afterwards, etc etc
Sure, but then there's a fair degree of market canabalism going on with other festivities.

If it's to stay in the city, then re-time it. There's this massive aversion to doing anything in Adelaide in winter, supposedly to avoid bad weather and AFL, but geez there's a bunch of very quiet sunny weekends in that time where a boutique car race might work really well.

Plenty of opportunities to move it onelce the Bend is up and running, then that could boost regional economies and spread the benefits.
morell
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:20 pm

I get the bus to work, so the time delay isn't greatly significant, and granted the buses are more crowded but it's only a 15min bus ride anyway so meh, doesn't greatly both me haha!

Although the recently completed Obahn extension probably has assisted with that as well.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby The Bedge » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:20 pm

morell wrote:If it's to stay in the city, then re-time it. There's this massive aversion to doing anything in Adelaide in winter, supposedly to avoid bad weather and AFL, but geez there's a bunch of very quiet sunny weekends in that time where a boutique car race might work really well.

Absolutely agree 100%
The Bedge
Coach

Postby morell » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:21 pm

jo172 wrote:

Definitely not Robinson Crusoe.

I frequent the city a heck of a lot. But avoid it like the plague this time of year.
morell
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:22 pm

morell wrote:
bennymacca wrote:its a perfect location. because its in the city where everything else is.

Sure, but then there's a fair degree of market canabalism going on with other festivities.

If it's to stay in the city, then re-time it. There's this massive aversion to doing anything in Adelaide in winter, supposedly to avoid bad weather and AFL, but geez there's a bunch of very quiet sunny weekends in that time where a boutique car race might work really well.

Plenty of opportunities to move it onelce the Bend is up and running, then that could boost regional economies and spread the benefits.

i would like to see research as to whether it actually does cannibalise other events like the fringe or festival etc

a) they are likely different demographics
b) for people that are interested in both and from interstate, one or the other might not be enough incentive to visit adelaide, but having more than one thing to do could be enough to make the trip
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:25 pm

morell wrote:

The Bend has it's own Supercar race from August this year, but you don't care so....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby morell » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:26 pm

bennymacca wrote:
morell wrote:

i would like to see research as to whether it actually does cannibalise other events like the fringe or festival etc

b) for people that are interested in both and from interstate, one or the other might not be enough incentive to visit adelaide, but having more than one thing to do could be enough to make the trip
Indeed. And agree.

But in the meantime - **** it off so I can get a table at Sostas :D
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:29 pm

Booney wrote:
morell wrote:

The Bend has it's own Supercar race from August this year, but you don't care so....
2 car races in SA?! Jesus Christ. Jimmy was right. I'm moving to Sydney.
morell
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:31 pm

bennymacca wrote:
morell wrote:

Figures I've found range from 11,000 to 13,000 interstate visitors come for the 500. I would expect many, many of them would enter the Garden and Fringe events while they're here. Will or does this stop Adelaide people from going to the Garden or Fringe?

Bahahahahahaha hahahahhaha :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:32 pm

morell wrote:I'm moving to Sydney.

Seeya pal, hope they have a NSWFooty.net too 8) :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics