The South Australian Political Landscape

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

Postby Q. » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:32 am

DOC wrote:Under employment is as big a problem as well.

Fantastic article in The Age on underutilisation - https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/workers-wasted-in-national-trouble-spots-for-low-wage-growth-20191213-p53jr8.html

Where underutilisation is defined as those who are unemployed, underemployed or marginally attached to the labour force. Someone who works only one hour a week would not show up in the unemployment rate but would be considered underemployed and therefore show up in the underutilisation rate.

The trend nationwide over the last six years is frightening and the trend in SA, particularly the 'north', is bleak.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby DOC » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:20 pm

Premier Steven Marshall abandons his GlobeLink freight plan after the business case doesn’t stack up
It was one of Steven Marshall’s signature policies: An overhaul of SA’s freight network, including a second major airport, that the Premier said “needs to be delivered”. Now it’s been dumped.

Daniel Wills, State Political Editor, The Advertiser

Plans for a second major SA airport, part of a freight transport vision that Premier Steven Marshall said “needs to be delivered”, have been dumped after a report found the business case didn’t fly.

Transport Minister Stephan Knoll on Monday said the State Government had “fulfilled its election commitment” to fund a business case into the GlobeLink plan announced in 2017.

It has concluded that neither the airport, planned freeway connection or freight rail upgrade would deliver a benefit that justified the immense costs involved.

The report finds that current air freight in SA is only around 10 per cent of the amount needed to make GlobeLink viable.

As opposition leader, Mr Marshall committed $20 million to a business case, of which the State Government says only $2.4 million was ultimately spent.

He said at the time: “This is an ambitious project, but one that definitely needs to be delivered”.

“The Liberal Party will deliver this project,” he pledged. “It needs to be delivered. It won’t be delivered in five minutes, but the work needs to be done now so that we’re ready for it to take place.”

The freight industry quickly expressed serious reservations about the plan.

Mr Knoll said several new road connections examined in the report would be considered by the Government in the longer term, but finishing South Rd was the first priority.

A decision on whether tunnels will feature in the final 10km fix is expected mid-year.

“The State Government has fulfilled its election promise to undertake a business case to investigate the viability of GlobeLink, and is being open and transparent,” Mr Knoll said.

“The State Government ... will not be progressing with the original GlobeLink proposal.

“The Government is clearly disappointed with the results of the business case.”

The report indicates the project would cost about $7 billion.

State debt is already headed to a record $24 billion, in part due to a $12 billion infrastructure spend in the next four years.

Fixing South Rd will cost more than $5.4 billion, which is currently unbudgeted. Nor is $1 billion or more for a new Women’s and Children’s Hospital.

Mr Knoll said aspects of the GlobeLink report to be considered included an upgrade to Cross Rd, and new freight routes that could bypass the South Eastern Freeway.

The report finds that fears an existing freight rail link would hit capacity in the 2030s, a major reason for launching the business case, are no longer valid as trucks are taking more goods.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 731 times
Been liked: 2086 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:02 pm

Was never going to work, can’t believe the Libs didn’t listen to the experts who told them that initially
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby stan » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:51 pm

Jim05 wrote:Was never going to work, can’t believe the Libs didn’t listen to the experts who told them that initially
Was never going to work in terms of locations but and an actual 24/7 No curfew airport still has merrit. The issue is that SA is not big enough for 2 major airports.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:37 pm

stan wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Was never going to work, can’t believe the Libs didn’t listen to the experts who told them that initially
Was never going to work in terms of locations but and an actual 24/7 No curfew airport still has merrit. The issue is that SA is not big enough for 2 major airports.

Definitely not big enough for 2 major airports but where the airport is now is perfect for freight.
Jim05
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:45 am

How they ever thought it would become a reality is a reflection of how inept this party is.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:49 am

Booney wrote:

How they ever thought it would become a reality is a reflection of how inept this party is.

The other mob ain’t any better though. Wouldn’t hurt these politicians to listen to the experts once in awhile
Jim05
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:53 am

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:

The other mob ain’t any better though. Wouldn’t hurt these politicians to listen to the experts once in awhile

I agree, while the nRAH is a massive white elephant at least it was a real possibility to be built and built where it is, the same with the Deal plant, both are money pits but at least they were realistic and could / did actually get built. Marshall's freight corridor / air port was pie in the sky stuff all along.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Psyber » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:55 pm

I liked the GlobaLink idea but had doubts about the cost, and of course it did become rapidly obvious the money wasn't in the state coffers to see it through.

nRAH? I could not think of a worse place to put it even though the Mediical Director is an old friend of mine and did show a group of us through in 2018.
(Credit to the new Intensive Care Unit internal layout though.)
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:03 pm

Anyone hear Kahnolll on the radio this morning??

My goodness...he is a shocker!!

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11848 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby stan » Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:43 am

Jim05 wrote:
stan wrote:

Definitely not big enough for 2 major airports but where the airport is now is perfect for freight.
That's the issue. Poor planning in the area has meant that our main airport is land locked and we have a silly curfew.

For a proper freight airport to be part of our main airport it needs to be 24/7
stan
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:14 am

stan wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
stan wrote:

That's the issue. Poor planning in the area has meant that our main airport is land locked and we have a silly curfew.

Qantas and the AP network are responsible for the bulk of air freight that comes and goes in Adelaide and the airport is located perfectly for them hence why they are spending and absolute fortune on the new airport project. The curfew isn’t great but doesn’t have a major impact on freight unlike Sydney which will be rectified once Badgerys Creek is completed.
The curfew hurts passenger flights far more
Jim05
Coach

Postby DOC » Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:58 am

stan wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
stan wrote:

We have domestic freighters land 24/7. The curfew does not apply to all aircraft.

Our Airport is the best located Airport in Australia, and one of the best in the world.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 731 times
Been liked: 2086 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:52 am

Psyber wrote:I liked the GlobaLink idea but had doubts about the cost, and of course it did become rapidly obvious the money wasn't in the state coffers to see it through.

nRAH? I could not think of a worse place to put it even though the Mediical Director is an old friend of mine and did show a group of us through in 2018.

At least they did a feasibility study which is more than the last idiots did before spending billions
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:54 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Psyber wrote:I liked the GlobaLink idea but had doubts about the cost, and of course it did become rapidly obvious the money wasn't in the state coffers to see it through.

At least they did a feasibility study which is more than the last idiots did before spending billions

Now how did I know you would come in and defend them? :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby cracka » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:29 pm

I wasn't convinced of the need for a 2nd airport but thought a freight (rail & trucks) bypass of the city was/is a good idea.

What's people's thoughts on finishing South Rd. Tunnels or land acquisitions & an above ground freeway. I've said before, I'm not opposed to a toll road for the last 10km. Also the idea of a tunnel from the last arrester bed coming out on Cross road with a direct run yo South Rd (when complete) seems like a good one to me.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:12 pm

Booney wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:

Now how did I know you would come in and defend them? :lol:

Didn’t want to disappoint you
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:32 pm

cracka wrote:I wasn't convinced of the need for a 2nd airport but thought a freight (rail & trucks) bypass of the city was/is a good idea.

What's people's thoughts on finishing South Rd. Tunnels or land acquisitions & an above ground freeway. I've said before, I'm not opposed to a toll road for the last 10km. Also the idea of a tunnel from the last arrester bed coming out on Cross road with a direct run yo South Rd (when complete) seems like a good one to me.

Agree, I reckon once South Road is fully complete they will tie in a Victor Harbor Rd upgrade and take Freight Traffic through the Southern Hills around Strathalbyn to the back of Mt Compass, continuing with Freight down the Freeway and through the Eastern Suburbs surely cant be a long term solution.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3502 times

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:56 pm

Dutchy wrote:
cracka wrote:I wasn't convinced of the need for a 2nd airport but thought a freight (rail & trucks) bypass of the city was/is a good idea.

Agree, I reckon once South Road is fully complete they will tie in a Victor Harbor Rd upgrade and take Freight Traffic through the Southern Hills around Strathalbyn to the back of Mt Compass, continuing with Freight down the Freeway and through the Eastern Suburbs surely cant be a long term solution.

It's either a long way out of the way South or a hell of a long way out of the way North and both trips would include tight winding or steep climbs / descents. Where it is is the most logical, yet probably the least manageable.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby stan » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:21 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Yeah I feel that there is a master plan I'm the works for this to tie South road to the Freeway via as you said either cross road or out the back of Strath.

Interesting times at the moment. Getting alot of that freight traffic away from the Eastern roads will really reduce the stress some of the roads are under at the moment.
stan
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics