The South Australian Political Landscape

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: The South Australian Political Landscape

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:23 pm

Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11838 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby Gozu » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:52 pm

I agree with tipper. You can go on until you're blue in the face about how this stuff shouldn't happen which of course is right but the reality is it does. Foley needs to have more self-awareness when out in public. If I were him and someone had just verbally abused me for seemingly no reason in a restaurant and then offered to meet me in the toilets the last thing I would've been doing is going into said toilet not long after. When the initial incident happened I just would've grabbed the lady friend and left.

I remember a few years ago now coming back from a concert in the city by myself on the train. It was packed and I was sitting in one of those seats where you're facing everyone else and as it was around midnight and I was a bit tired I just decided to put my head down and close my eyes for the short journey home. Not long after some punk walked past me to the back seat and bumped me pretty hard, hard enough that it was certainly a message as I'd never received a bump like that other than on the footy field. I turned around and the guy now sitting in a seat behind me was laughing and filming me on his mobile phone saying something like he knew me from his footy club which was crap as I haven't played footy since I was a kid.

I thought about getting up and destroying this guy as I was twice his size and can look after myself a bit but then thought what if this whole thing was a set up by him and some mates down the other end of the train. My stop to get off was the next stop and felt it would be best to swallow my pride (everyone on the train would've seen what he did) and get off without he and any potential mates of his following me for the 15 min walk home, what if he/they have knives etc. Sometimes you've just got to put a bit more thought into things when in these situations.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby redandblack » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:05 pm

Abraham and Bevan are totally up themselves.

It makes no difference what you think of Foley, he's entitled to go to a Tapas Bar at 9pm without being beaten up.

He shouldn't have to suss out whether he should be able to go to the toilet safely.

The problem isn't with him, it's with the assaulters, whatever take you want to put on it.
redandblack

Postby GWW » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:58 pm

redandblack wrote:
The problem isn't with him, it's with the assaulters, whatever take you want to put on it.

Perhaps he needs to speak to the Police Minister so he can arrange for more funds to be put into policing on Gouger St :)
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby southee » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:31 pm

redandblack wrote:Abraham and Bevan are totally up themselves.

It makes no difference what you think of Foley, he's entitled to go to a Tapas Bar at 9pm without being beaten up.

He shouldn't have to suss out whether he should be able to go to the toilet safely.

So, we will go by Foley's side to the story ??

There are 2 sides that need to be looked at. Not just one side. :?
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby redandblack » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:46 pm

The facts don't seem to be in dispute, southee.

Just because he's a Labor person, doesn't make him guilty, whatever you might like to think.
redandblack

Postby southee » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:47 pm

redandblack wrote:The facts don't seem to be in dispute, southee.

Just because he's a Labor person, doesn't make him guilty, whatever you might like to think.

Where are the facts? From Foley's mouth ??? The media??

Anyone thought of interviewing the other guys in the toilet (where ever they might be) ??

There are many unanswered questions. I never said he was guilty either.
southee
Assistant Coach

Postby dedja » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:50 pm

southee wrote:Anyone thought of interviewing the other guys in the toilet (where ever they might be) ??

only the cops ... :roll:
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby southee » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:58 pm

dedja wrote:
southee wrote:Anyone thought of interviewing the other guys in the toilet (where ever they might be) ??

only the cops ... :roll:

Who are yet too....so until the FACTS are known then we cant make a judgement like some have already made on here. :roll:
southee
Assistant Coach

Postby dedja » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:02 pm

:roll: back at you ...

:D
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Postby southee » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:06 pm

dedja wrote::roll: back at you ...

:D

;)
southee
Assistant Coach

Postby tipper » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:42 pm

so how many times will it take him being assaulted before he takes the responsibility of modifying his behaviour? even lab rats learn to stay away from the electrified sections of the maze eventually....
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby GWW » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:49 pm

Violence is obviously never the answer obviously, but I am wondering if recent events (and i don't necessarily mean alleged assaults, i'm talking verbal abuse etc) have given Foley some type of sign of what the community in general thinks of him.

I don't recall Bannon (during the years of the State Bank failure) or any other politician for that matter, ever being so unpopular and having such negative experiences with the community.
GWW

Postby redandblack » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:27 pm

So you think that if you take unpopular decisions and go out at night, you're fair game to be bashed.

It reminds me of the LA cops beating shit out of a black man. They got off because the bloke getting bashed was 'in control of the situation'.

Perhaps you can make a list of places Kevin Foley is allowed to visit at 9.30pm on a Saturday, or does he have to stay home?
redandblack

Postby dedja » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:33 pm

I'm interested in the answer as well ... :ymdaydream:
dedja
Coach

Postby dedja » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:40 pm

100% correct ... totally out of line, and not for the first time.

Their treatment of Foley in that interview was disgraceful.
dedja
Coach

Postby LBT » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:37 am

dedja wrote:

Thank goodness I am asleep or at work when their tripe is on...it has got to the point of pro Lib bias that 5aa shows ...ie "hi Isobel darling" or "mitch Williams, whatta guy" in comparison to "foley deserves a beating" and Leon Byners (ombudsmen ombudsmen ombudsmen right wing doo gooder, eastern suburbs anti government rot) thankfully most of the listeners of his trash are on their way out :-@ :-@ :-q (-|
LBT
League - Best 21

Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 23 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby mick » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:27 am

LBT wrote:
dedja wrote:

Thank goodness I am asleep or at work when their tripe is on...it has got to the point of pro Lib bias that 5aa shows ...ie "hi Isobel darling" or "mitch Williams, whatta guy" in comparison to "foley deserves a beating" and Leon Byners (ombudsmen ombudsmen ombudsmen right wing doo gooder, eastern suburbs anti government rot) thankfully most of the listeners of his trash are on their way out :-@ :-@ :-q (-|

You obviously didn't listen to the breakfast show when Keith Conlon and Tony Pilkington were on, Rann got a weekly spot (with questions as soft as butter), the oposition leader does not. Pilko is alledgedly an ALP member ( was touted as a candidate at one stage) and Keith is a latte sipper/hand wringer. The new guy John Keneally is a bit harder to work out. I agree with your comments re Byner, crocodile tears for the downtrodden. Foley used his "ordeal" on the ABC to put the boot into public servants, his interview by Conlon and Keneally on 5aa was used as a grandstand to attack the union movement, specific union members and of course the Liberal party. He should not be attacked physically but this guy is clearly unsuitable to be a minister of the crown. Rann does not want an embarassing by election so I guess he'll stay. One question, why appear on multiple radio shows over this incident? surely ONE press conference is enough, then let it die? This shows a total lack of judgement IMHO. This state government is a train wreck a couple of people need to go and soon.
mick
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby redandblack » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:20 am

mick, fair go.

The Australian media, now including the ABC, is overwhelmingly anti-ALP, to the extent of frequent blatant misrepresentation. That's not just me saying that either.

Foley has always made himself available for interview, unlike many politicians.

The Matt and Dave episode just continues their rudeness and arrogance towards him over a long period. By all means attack his character or suitability (and I agree the State Govt is on the way out), but none of that is relevant to him being bashed.
redandblack

Postby GWW » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:18 am

Those nasty public servants, better take some more entitlements off them and while you're at it make sure you increase your own Super.
GWW

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics