Suggestion for the Flood Levy

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Suggestion for the Flood Levy

Postby Cambridge Clarrie » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:38 pm

redandblack wrote:"Ready for the kill" :D

Don't get too excited, southee.

I'll ask you and the other mathematically challenged opponents of this levy a question. Tony Abbott proposed a (wait for it) - levy, to pay for his parental leave scheme in his election campaign.

Did any of you disagree with this and say so on here, or do you think a levy for an election campaign promise is OK, but for flood destroyed infrastructure is not?

(Thanks to Laurie Oakes for his article on this).

I'll look forward to an answer, as I haven't had an answer to my previous points.

PS: Psyber, I'm not sure what relevance your witness fee has to this debate, but I bet the Queensland Government is shaking in its boots and will divert all resources away from the flood crisis into dealing with your fee situation ;)

serious question. was abbott's levy imposed on business or individual?

so long as this levy is only for one year, I don't think it's a problem...

and what about all these painters, sparkies etc who don't declare all their income??? they may not have to pay anything - shame on you!!!
"They do say, Mrs M, that verbal insults hurt more than physical pain. They are, of course, wrong, as you will soon discover when I stick this toasting fork into your head"
Cambridge Clarrie
League - Best 21

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby southee » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:49 pm

Cambridge Clarrie wrote:
redandblack wrote:"Ready for the kill" :D

Don't get too excited, southee.

I'll ask you and the other mathematically challenged opponents of this levy a question. Tony Abbott proposed a (wait for it) - levy, to pay for his parental leave scheme in his election campaign.

Did any of you disagree with this and say so on here, or do you think a levy for an election campaign promise is OK, but for flood destroyed infrastructure is not?

(Thanks to Laurie Oakes for his article on this).

I'll look forward to an answer, as I haven't had an answer to my previous points.

PS: Psyber, I'm not sure what relevance your witness fee has to this debate, but I bet the Queensland Government is shaking in its boots and will divert all resources away from the flood crisis into dealing with your fee situation ;)

serious question. was abbott's levy imposed on business or individual?

so long as this levy is only for one year, I don't think it's a problem...

and what about all these painters, sparkies etc who don't declare all their income??? they may not have to pay anything - shame on you!!!

And the corparate world and suits are all innocent Clarrie....your living in a dream world if you think that mate!!! Worst of the lot!!! :evil:
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby Squawk » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:21 pm

mick wrote:I'm glad I held off donating as it seems I'll be making a compulsory "donation"......no problem QLD AND Vic need help to rebuild. I just hope it will be spent prudently, but with the track record of this government......who knows? Some cynics say the government is preserving it's war chest for the next election.

Money allocated to Qld will be managed by the Qld Reconstruction Authority, which has two Cwlth reps on it. Money to rebuild all other states and territories ($1.0b) is actually paid as a cash reimbursement to the relevant government. So basically the feds are just making payments to state governments, not doing anything else.
Steve Bradbury and Michael Milton. Aussie Legends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRnztSjUB2U
Squawk
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Squawk » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:31 pm

redandblack wrote:Nobody has mentioned the massive cuts to expenditure also announced.

Hello? R&B? I've mentioned it numerous times.

The message is being sold as "cuts to expenditure" but technically the Cwlth is withdrawing subsidies for programs (notably green ones) and cancelling or deferring state infrastructure subsidies. Much of this is money in forward estimates. The net outcome of all of this is that the Cwlth budget remains neutral in terms of impact. No exclusively Cwlth govt activity has been targetted for savings initiatives. Basically, we are all paying a levy to ensure that the Cwlth budgetary situation is preserved this year, and in a position to hit a surplus the following year. Flood affected areas need to be rebuilt but even though the Cwlth can afford to do it, or can borrow to do it, they have asked everyone but themselves to help the Cwlth first and foremost in relaity, and then to help Qld.

Interesting also that the Feds have deviated from their $150k means test line, and lowered the bar to $50k. The dynamic is odd.

A 2 person household earning a combined $150k+ is ineligible for just about any govt support.
A 2 person household earning less than $150k will now have to pay the flood levy twice, assuming each person earns at least $50k. So the household line is now set at $100k.

Squawk
Assistant Coach

Postby Psyber » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:02 pm

redandblack wrote: PS: Psyber, I'm not sure what relevance your witness fee has to this debate, but I bet the Queensland Government is shaking in its boots and will divert all resources away from the flood crisis into dealing with your fee situation ;)
I was simply pointing out universality of the shambles and game playing in government and bureaucracy, and how long it takes to get any issue straightened out, in response to other comments about those problems in administration.
I didn't spell it out in full, as I thought the context made it clear that I was suggesting that if my simple matter is taking so long we can expect more of the same over this more complex one.

And, of course, I expect it to be left aside until the flood crisis is dealt with. Did you think I didn't? :roll:
I figure it may become my donation one way or another...
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby redandblack » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:38 pm

If you delay the letter,you'll gain interest on the cost of the delayed postage stamp for that period, mate ;)
redandblack

Postby Psyber » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:48 pm

redandblack wrote:If you delay the letter,you'll gain interest on the cost of the delayed postage stamp for that period, mate ;)
I emailed my comment and attachments to both the Minister's department and to his electoral offic secretary - to bypass the Ministerial office hierarchical blockade.
I can't afford stamps if people don't pay me, but I've already paid for the Internet service.. ;)

I doubt I'll ever get the money, but I'll keep pestering and make them pay for it with their time, since I can afford the time for a response each time they reply off the point, now I'm retired. :lol:
Psyber
Coach

Postby Tassie Blues » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:41 pm

has there ever been a tax that was just for one year if this one get the green light it will have a name change and be around for ever.
Tassie Blues
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby Sojourner » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:16 am

Tassie Blues wrote:has there ever been a tax that was just for one year if this one get the green light it will have a name change and be around for ever.

Think you have hit the nail on the head with what people are concerned about, and both Labor and Liberal are as culpible as one another in doing it.

The levy is clearly not a large amount of money and likely it is a reasonable solution to the problem, yet it needs to be realised that its a lot of money when combined with the other levies and increased taxes.

Emergency Services Levy,
Save the Murray Levy,
12 months Rego for a 4cyl Car $800.00

When does the Government stop constantly gouging people with these levys and obscene tax increases, For someone on an income of less than 50K per year, just their rego alone wipes out nearly 1k of it depending on the car that they drive. Its getting ridiculous and clearly the only way the major parties are going to get the message and get thier snouts out of the tax trough is if people choose to vote for someone else, I dont think the increase to groups like the Greens and No Pokies is any accident and hopefully will continue to grow until they pull their stupid heads in and run the country for its best resource, the actual people that live here.
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby scoob » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:04 pm

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/fl ... 5997323088

Maybe we can get emergency funding if we cop blackouts with this heat?
scoob
Veteran

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times

Postby southee » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:42 pm

scoob wrote:http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/floodrelief/treasurer-wayne-swan-disgusted-by-flood-low-lifes/story-fn7ik2te-1225997323088

Maybe we can get emergency funding if we cop blackouts with this heat?

Hard to beleive they just give it out without means testing or doing a bit of research into it...... :roll:
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby Squawk » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:05 pm

"If there are people who have been eligible for the levy but haven't required it and have gone in and claimed it, I think they are simply low life," he said.

OK - Wayne, we hear ya.

Mr Swan was in Brisbane with Prime Minister Julia Gillard and Premier Anna Bligh yesterday when the Australian cricketers beat England to secure the one-day series.

He told ABC radio that most of the punters he spoke to at the Gabba were comfortable with the levy despite several polls showing the majority of Australians oppose it.

Hang on - were you eligible for a free ticket to the Gabba yesterday - and did you claim it? If so, are you a low life? :shock: :lol:

It's a bit hard to say that someone who is eligible to claim something can also be a low life. :roll:

Squawk
Assistant Coach

Postby Bat Pad » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:39 pm

Squawk wrote:"If there are people who have been eligible for the levy but haven't required it and have gone in and claimed it, I think they are simply low life," he said.

OK - Wayne, we hear ya.

Mr Swan was in Brisbane with Prime Minister Julia Gillard and Premier Anna Bligh yesterday when the Australian cricketers beat England to secure the one-day series.

He told ABC radio that most of the punters he spoke to at the Gabba were comfortable with the levy despite several polls showing the majority of Australians oppose it.

Hang on - were you eligible for a free ticket to the Gabba yesterday - and did you claim it? If so, are you a low life? :shock: :lol:

It's a bit hard to say that someone who is eligible to claim something can also be a low life. :roll:

Well played squawk.
Bat Pad
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 1 time

Postby Leaping Lindner » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:28 pm

http://www.email.swordcdc.com/t/ViewEma ... 7C670A6B9F

I don't whether to laugh or cry. Actually I have the urge to go to Canberra and punch a certain idiot on the nose. :evil:
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Been liked: 47 times

Postby Gozu » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:58 pm

Wow, Tony Abbott is an absolute disgrace:

Federal Opposition leader Tony Abbott has sent an email encouraging people to donate money to the Liberal Party's campaign against the Government's proposed flood levy.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011 ... ion=justin
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Been liked: 660 times

Postby Psyber » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:31 pm

Maybe Tony is about to implode...
Psyber
Coach

Postby once_were_warriors » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:03 pm

Leaping Lindner wrote:http://www.email.swordcdc.com/t/ViewEmail/r/E0C4E554D2379407/F090A796BD06A087F6A1C87C670A6B9F

I don't whether to laugh or cry. Actually I have the urge to go to Canberra and punch a certain idiot on the nose. :evil:

Specially at the bottom of the letter stating " click here to donate to help us fight this campaign against labor's flood tax".

Sorry your members of parliament already get a salary to run an effective opposition. Maybe hit up Malcom Turnball for some cash if your hard up.

Tony, you've got this one wrong (again).
If at first you don't succeed , then destroy all evidence that you tried in the first place
once_were_warriors
Under 18s

Been liked: 2 times

Postby Leaping Lindner » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:01 pm

Stick a fork in Abbott....I think he's done. This is THE most pathetic piece of partisan politics I've seen from either side in all the years I've followed politics. Those swinging voters in Queensland must be really glad they almost delivered this idiot the Prime Ministership at the last election. :roll:
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Been liked: 47 times

Postby Gozu » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:04 pm

Leaping Lindner wrote:Stick a fork in Abbott....I think he's done. This is THE most pathetic piece of partisan politics I've seen from either side in all the years I've followed politics. Those swinging voters in Queensland must be really glad they almost delivered this idiot the Prime Ministership at the last election. :roll:

Yep I almost feel embarrassed for Abbott given how morally & ethically bankrupt the man is.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Postby Gozu » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:04 am

"Abbott puts foot in mouth over levy":

TONY Abbott does not want you to pay to rebuild Queensland but thinks you may want to help the Liberals.

In an insensitive move as flood victims continue the long painful process of recovery, Mr Abbott yesterday sent out an online letter to subscribers, slamming the Government's proposed levy - even though 60 per cent of taxpayers would pay less than a dollar a week for the 12 months of its operation - but inviting donations to the Liberal Party.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/nati ... 5999047245

So are they gonna go back to Turnbull or will someone else get a shot now?
Gozu
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics