Anti-Drug Legislation Absurdity

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Anti-Drug Legislation Absurdity

Postby Q. » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:29 pm

As part of proposed implementation of model schedules for Commonwealth serious drug offences there is a rather interesting section (see attachment 2.4) proposing additions to the list of Controlled Plants.

Among these additions include:

- any plant containing mescaline [the absurd part being that it includes just about every columnar cactus you've seen growing in yards all around Adelaide]

- any plant containing DMT [this includes an array of common acacia species found in many people's backyards, found in public reserves and also found on our national coat of arms]

- Any species of the genus Brugmansia [commonly known as Angel's Trumpet and also a fairly regular sight hanging over suburban fences]

It's absurd to me for many reasons, but firstly because I am a plant breeder by profession and as a out-of-hours hobby I crossbreed cultivars of Brugmansia selecting for extreme weather hardiness and unique flower properties - but under this proposed legislation I'm suddenly a criminal and liable for prosecution!

It's absurd because it makes criminals out of ordinary citizens, most like unaware of what's growing in their front yard. Hell, it will even make local governments liable for prosecution!

It's absurd because the legislation encompasses thousands of species found ALL OVER Australia. Are police going to be trained in botany? How do you enforce this? Furthermore, the chemicals found in the plants aren't recreational drugs and they have no addictive potential.

I've long been critical of our Governments draconian drug laws, especially when compared to the progressive and effective approaches taken by European States, but the mind boggles at this ridiculously authoritarian and wholly unneccessary proposed legislation.

Lucky country? Free country? Ha!
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Re: Anti-Drug Legislation Absurdity

Postby redandblack » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:47 am

'Proposed' legislation, Q?

If so, I would think there will be many exemptions for plant breeders and all sorts of other everyday uses, after the consultation process?
redandblack

Postby Dirko » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:13 am

Instead of worrying about what plants of the legal kind people grow, the Government should instead look at their piss weak stance in dealing with the Drug criminals and the petty slaps on the wrist that they receive when caught.
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Q. » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:13 am

redandblack wrote:'Proposed' legislation, Q?

If so, I would think there will be many exemptions for plant breeders and all sorts of other everyday uses, after the consultation process?

That's the point though, this particular legislation targets only collectors, hobbyists etc. There's no mass scale growth of these plants for chemical production because there's no market for it, therefore there is no interest in them for organised criminals. The chemicals themselves are already scheduled, why go as far as making common plants illegal :roll:

Why bother having the legislation if everyone is exempt?
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Sojourner » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:21 am

SJABC wrote:Instead of worrying about what plants of the legal kind people grow, the Government should instead look at their piss weak stance in dealing with the Drug criminals and the petty slaps on the wrist that they receive when caught.

Unless of course that they are caught growing Tobbacco in which the penalties can be quite severe by comparison!
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Board index   General Talk  Politics