Immigration - where is Australia going?

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Immigration - where is Australia going?

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Wed May 28, 2014 6:44 pm

The mathematics of immigration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJX5XHnONTI
"cricket is the most important activity in men's lives, the most important thread in the fabric of the cosmos"
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 34 times
Grassroots Team: Langhorne Creek

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 29, 2014 8:18 am

Psyber wrote:The one problem of integration of this new group of immigrants is that Islam is not tolerant of other religions as an article of the faith itself.
That wasn't an issue with the earlier waves of immigrants.
[Yes, I have read the Qu'ran, admittedly not in Arabic, and it was some years ago.]

as opposed to catholicism who arent even tolerant of other forms of christianity?

and you also realise that most of the "muslims" that are coming here were persecuted by other muslims too?

Roxy the Rat Girl wrote:The mathematics of immigration

that was awesome!
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Psyber » Sat May 31, 2014 4:33 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Psyber wrote:The one problem of integration of this new group of immigrants is that Islam is not tolerant of other religions as an article of the faith itself.
[Yes, I have read the Qu'ran, admittedly not in Arabic, and it was some years ago.]

as opposed to catholicism who arent even tolerant of other forms of christianity?

and you also realise that most of the "muslims" that are coming here were persecuted by other muslims too?

that was awesome!

Yes. The Sunni and Shia have been slaughtering each other for centuries over what is to them a major issue - whether Mohamed's nephew should have succeeded him as leader rather than the unrelated deputy who took the reins during the official mourning period - which the nephew supporting Shia see as a "foul" of unforgivable proportions. Neither side will give up the hate and reconcile.

The only real difference is that the Christian denominational war was at its peak about 600 years or so ago, while the Muslim one is still current.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby bulldogproud2 » Sat May 31, 2014 5:03 pm

bennymacca wrote:

that was awesome!

Benny, my friend: To say that Catholics are not tolerant of other forms of Christianity is a misnomer. Pretty much all Christian denominations get along with one another very well and realise that there are only small differences whilst there are great similarities. What has generally divided Christians is not religion but elements of nationalism. For instance, the tension in Northern Ireland is not over religion. It is an attempt to have a united Ireland. Ireland is a country divided, with most states (the south) being independent from English rule whilst there are a few states (the north) that are still subject to English rule.
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby gossipgirl » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:24 am

Not sure how long you have lived in Belfast but religion is a very big part of the tension in Northern Ireland including nationalism
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby shoe boy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:30 am

Benny, my friend: To say that Catholics are not tolerant of other forms of Christianity is a misnomer. Pretty much all Christian denominations get along with one another very well and realise that there are only small differences whilst there are great similarities. What has generally divided Christians is not religion but elements of nationalism. For instance, the tension in Northern Ireland is not over religion. It is an attempt to have a united Ireland. Ireland is a country divided, with most states (the south) being independent from English rule whilst there are a few states (the north) that are still subject to English rule.[/quote]

Very true. "Tiocfaidh ar la"
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:27 am

you say it is an attempt to unite ireland, but what divided them in the first place? i can give you 1 reason.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:19 am

bennymacca wrote:you say it is an attempt to unite ireland, but what divided them in the first place? i can give you 1 reason.

English invasion
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby shoe boy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:20 am

bennymacca wrote:you say it is an attempt to unite ireland, but what divided them in the first place? i can give you 1 reason.

English invasion.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:31 am

Ok so change tack. You think that fights between Christians are all about culture and invasions but fights between Muslims are because they aren't tolerant of other religions?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby shoe boy » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:42 pm

bennymacca wrote:Ok so change tack. You think that fights between Christians are all about culture and invasions but fights between Muslims are because they aren't tolerant of other religions?

Religion in any form is the cause of most issues on this planet.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby bulldogproud2 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:33 pm

bennymacca wrote:Ok so change tack. You think that fights between Christians are all about culture and invasions but fights between Muslims are because they aren't tolerant of other religions?

No, I don't at all. Most fights by Muslims are because they are in societies that have been oppressed by other cultures. You will find that almost all troubles in the world are over greed in one form or another. Muslims are fighting back against the greed of imperialism.
Yes, you get fanatics in every religion who act crazily. However, if they properly followed their religion, they would not act this way. The true basis of all religions is peace and tolerance.

Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Postby bulldogproud2 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:35 pm

shoe boy wrote:

The cause of most charitable works, the cause of most care for other people, the care of the aged and vulnerable... agreed.
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:40 pm

bulldogproud2 wrote:

No, I don't at all. Most fights by Muslims are because they are in societies that have been oppressed by other cultures. You will find that almost all troubles in the world are over greed in one form or another. Muslims are fighting back against the greed of imperialism.
Yes, you get fanatics in every religion who act crazily. However, if they properly followed their religion, they would not act this way. The true basis of all religions is peace and tolerance.

Cheers

Well we agree then. Was replying to psyber.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby shoe boy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:54 am

bulldogproud2 wrote:
shoe boy wrote:

The cause of most charitable works, the cause of most care for other people, the care of the aged and vulnerable... agreed.

All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby Psyber » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:03 am

fish wrote:With the onset of climate change we will see an increase in "climate refugees" - that the Global Governance Project defines as "people who have to leave their habitats, immediately or in the near future, because of sudden or gradual alterations in their natural environment related to at least one of three impacts of climate change: sea-level rise, extreme weather events, and drought and water scarcity".

I suspect that many of these people will seek refuge within their own countries but I dare say some will seek refuge in other countries, including Australia.

What I'm worried about is the refos from the sunken Adelaide plains trying to take over the new beach-side suburb of Stirling! ;)
Seriously though, I agree that all countries (and the UN) should be looking at what is going to happen to the coastal strips over the next 100 years or so, and making appropriate development plans now.

Even now I'm taking on a 6 week contract in Townsville over the winter but I wouldn't do it in the wet/ tropical storm season.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Previous

Board index   General Talk  Politics