Immigration - where is Australia going?

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Immigration - where is Australia going?

Postby Darth Vader » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:47 pm

Historians and intellutuals will need to correct these facts but as an average bloke in the street this is how I see it.
The Poms/Irish sailed over here and pinched the country from the Indiginous people who had occupied it for 40,000 years. Over the years a few other people rocked up from various places. After WW2 Europeans came in their droves and a lot of Anglos were horrified until they tasted Italian/French/Greek food. And when these immigrants started working in all the dodgy jobs the Anglos didn't want to do they were seen as okay. Then after the Vietnam War we had those people and Cambodians turn up looking for somewhere to live and we took them in. And they contributed, started businesness, their kids starred at university. Meanwhile the Europeans assimilated, played footy and many of them became popular household names.
What happens next?
Caution! You are now entering the no-spin zone...
Darth Vader
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Solomontown

Re: Immigration - where is Australia going?

Postby Q. » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:53 pm

Emigration is one of the oldest and most constant human experiences. You've just described its constancy.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:01 pm

Way too deep for this forum, politics?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10753 times

Postby Q. » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:02 pm

Booney wrote:Way too deep for this forum, politics?

Yep.
Q.
Coach

Postby Iron Fist » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:08 pm

I beleive it can only happen for so long before our resources and jobs start to deminish.
People that come to a new country should have the right to believe in there own religions and beliefs, but need to respect the people already established in the countrys beliefs and ways.
We seemed to be changing society (in Australia anyway) to much to suit these immigrants, when realisticly it should be both of us changing to make things work!
get on board the thunder train!!!
Iron Fist
Veteran

Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Portland

Postby OnSong » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:10 pm

Iron Fist wrote:I beleive it can only happen for so long before our resources and jobs start to deminish.
People that come to a new country should have the right to believe in there own religions and beliefs, but need to respect the people already established in the countrys beliefs and ways.
We seemed to be changing society (in Australia anyway) to much to suit these immigrants, when realisticly it should be both of us changing to make things work!

They took our jooobs!
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby Q. » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:00 pm

OnSong wrote:
Iron Fist wrote:I beleive it can only happen for so long before our resources and jobs start to deminish.

They took our jooobs!

Q.
Coach

Postby Bush Telegraph » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:44 pm

[quote="Darth Vader"]Historians and intellutuals will need to correct these facts but as an average bloke in the street this is how I see it.
The Poms/Irish sailed over here and pinched the country from the Indiginous people who had occupied it for 40,000 years. Over the years a few other people rocked up from various places. After WW2 Europeans came in their droves and a lot of Anglos were horrified until they tasted Italian/French/Greek food. And when these immigrants started working in all the dodgy jobs the Anglos didn't want to do they were seen as okay. Then after the Vietnam War we had those people and Cambodians turn up looking for somewhere to live and we took them in. And they contributed, started businesness, their kids starred at university. Meanwhile the Europeans assimilated, played footy and many of them became popular household names.
What happens next?[/quot
There is supposedly some evidence these days that the original inhabitants were not Aboriginal. They were called the "Red people or the "little people" or some sh!t......and yet we dont here about that because then the Government would have to shell out for all us short arses that might be related to them! (Or would ATSIC have to pay out since they may have stolen the land from the "original Aboriginals" :roll: ?? )
Bush Telegraph

Grassroots Team: West Augusta

Postby Q. » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:52 pm

Bush Telegraph wrote:There is supposedly some evidence these days that the original inhabitants were not Aboriginal. They were called the "Red people or the "little people" or some sh!t......and yet we dont here about that because then the Government would have to shell out for all us short arses that might be related to them! (Or would ATSIC have to pay out since they may have stolen the land from the "original Aboriginals" :roll: ?? )

Actually, I believe there will be compensation available to all single cell organisms as they are related to their distant relatives born from the primordial soup.
Q.
Coach

Postby redden whites » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:42 pm

Darth Vader wrote:Historians and intellutuals will need to correct these facts but as an average bloke in the street this is how I see it.
What happens next?

err The Middle Eastern ones do the same at the Vietnamese have done and the Europeans did before them if given the opportunity despite redneck hysteria from the Liberal Party still hoping for another Tampa election result.
redden whites
League - Best 21

Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby cripple » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:50 pm

redden whites wrote:
Darth Vader wrote:Historians and intellutuals will need to correct these facts but as an average bloke in the street this is how I see it.
What happens next?

err The Middle Eastern ones do the same at the Vietnamese have done and the Europeans did before them if given the opportunity despite redneck hysteria from the Liberal Party still hoping for another Tampa election result.

This seems about right. Once everyone realises that the apparent dangers to jobs, families and way of life are all a crock, society will move forward and be better for it.
Unfortunately the bigoted few will always remain stuck in their ways, but the majority will make sure things work out.
cripple
League Bench Warmer

Postby fish » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:55 pm

With the onset of climate change we will see an increase in "climate refugees" - that the Global Governance Project defines as "people who have to leave their habitats, immediately or in the near future, because of sudden or gradual alterations in their natural environment related to at least one of three impacts of climate change: sea-level rise, extreme weather events, and drought and water scarcity".

I suspect that many of these people will seek refuge within their own countries but I dare say some will seek refuge in other countries, including Australia.
fish
Coach

Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby mick » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:45 am

cripple wrote:
redden whites wrote:
What happens next?

This seems about right. Once everyone realises that the apparent dangers to jobs, families and way of life are all a crock, society will move forward and be better for it.
Unfortunately the bigoted few will always remain stuck in their ways, but the majority will make sure things work out.

About 20 years ago at the footy a mate of mine (a tradie) was complaining the Vietnamese would take their jobs. I said you're safe mate, they all want to be doctors , lawyers or accountants. I must admit 20 years later I don't see too many asian tradies :lol:
mick
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time

Postby Leaping Lindner » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:13 am

mick wrote:
cripple wrote:
redden whites wrote:
What happens next?

About 20 years ago at the footy a mate of mine (a tradie) was complaining the Vietnamese would take their jobs. I said you're safe mate, they all want to be doctors , lawyers or accountants. I must admit 20 years later I don't see too many asian tradies :lol:

Gold !!! :lol:
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby Psyber » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:25 am

The one problem of integration of this new group of immigrants is that Islam is not tolerant of other religions as an article of the faith itself.
That wasn't an issue with the earlier waves of immigrants.
[Yes, I have read the Qu'ran, admittedly not in Arabic, and it was some years ago.]
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby OnSong » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:29 am

mick wrote:
cripple wrote:
redden whites wrote:
What happens next?

The didn't take his jooooob!
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby Baron Greenback » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:04 am

OnSong wrote:The didn't take his jooooob!

Dook a doooo
Ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and eggs for tea
Baron Greenback
Coach

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Paringa

Where is Australia going?

Postby Psyber » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:44 pm

EDIT: Deleted duplicated post - I'd put it up 8 days ago as R&B pointed out.
Last edited by Psyber on Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psyber
Coach

Postby redandblack » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:46 pm

Psyber, mate, I'm glad to see there's at least one biker in Adelaide who's also a barrister.

You posted this 'joke' 8 days ago, after it was sent to you by a barrister friend.

I'm only just recovering from the fits of hysterical laughter after reading it the first time ;)
redandblack

Postby Psyber » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:53 pm

redandblack wrote:Psyber, mate, I'm glad to see there's at least one biker in Adelaide who's also a barrister.
You posted this 'joke' 8 days ago, after it was sent to you by a barrister friend.
I'm only just recovering from the fits of hysterical laughter after reading it the first time ;)
Bugger - I found it on my lap top and didn't remember posting it from the other machine. :oops:
I also got it mixed up with a similar one from the biker which is not suitable to post on this site due to the language.
Psyber
Coach

Next

Board index   General Talk  Politics