Is a section of Liberal Party racist? Does it bother you?

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Is a section of Liberal Party racist? Does it bother you?

Postby mick » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:31 am

No - freedom of speech is more important than PC "perceptions" of racism. The Coalition is a party of diversity, which means idiots can get a guernsey. I'm a bit concerned that accusations of racism are used far too freely in politics and the media, I think we run the risk of trivialising serious racism, if the racism card is played too often.
mick
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby redandblack » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:28 am

mick, I think that as much as we should uphold the right to free speech, we should not do so at the cost of everything else.

In the current political situation, there is room for a debate about immigration, asylum seekers, etc. Those who wish that debate have a right to do so, but I would contend they also have an obligation to do so in a responsible manner.

It can be too easy to just brush off criticism as being politically correct. IMO, which is shared by most 'neutral' commentators, Scott Morrison and Corey Bernardi have gone beyond their responsibity as parliamentarians and have been appealing to the worst instincts in some portions of the population. This view is shared by several moderate Liberal MP's and I applaud them for it, as I already have posted previously.

I agree with you that trivialising racism is a danger, but I haven't seen this level of racist language being given tacit approval by party leaders before recent times.

I would hope our leaders don't go down that path. I find good and bad people everywhere, regardless of colour, race or religion.
redandblack

Postby Psyber » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:24 am

It is also too easy to just brush off criticism as being "racism" or use some other pejorative term.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 392 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby redandblack » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:28 am

Yes, I agree with that, but I think the opposite also applies that valid criticism can be brushed off as being 'politically correct'.
redandblack

Postby Psyber » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:33 am

redandblack wrote:Yes, I agree with that, but I think the opposite also applies that valid criticism can be brushed off as being 'politically correct'.

Yes, I'll agree with that - I guess we all tend to think that only those on the opposite side of the argument are doing the "brushing off".
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 392 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Ronnie » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:48 am

redandblack wrote:
I would hope our leaders don't go down that path. I find good and bad people everywhere, regardless of colour, race or religion.

Very true, there are good and decent people from all walks and all backgrounds. There are also some very evil people in surprisingly good environments.
Humanity is a real mixture and to just categorise people is quite wrong.

The difficulty we have is that it is absurd to pretend that all cultures are equal and of equal worth. We are nothing but delinquent in our responsibilites if we don't face up to some of life's realities in this respect.

People shouldn't be provocative about these difficult questions, nor should they be politically correct and display cowardice.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby redandblack » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:50 am

Good post, Ronnie.
redandblack

Previous

Board index   General Talk  Politics