Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby Q. » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:25 pm

cracka wrote:
Q. wrote:
cracka wrote:
Q. wrote:Punishing people for having an addiction doesn't make the addiction magically disappear. Treating it from a health perspective is a far more successful intervention.

So if I have an addiction (lifestyle choice) then I shouldn't be tested & it's ok for me to drive.

Lifestyle choice? Jesus you're ignorant.

I'm not talking about drink/drug driving.

Just curious as to whether you've seen the last page of the Ben Cousins topic.

No, but will read it now
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Q. » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:09 pm

Even the AFR are sinking the boots into Herr Dutton - it's looking increasingly like he was responsible for the Ruby Princess debacle.

Peter Dutton's silence speaks volumes

But from you, minister, the most noticeable aspect is an unusual silence from Queensland - even though it has become increasingly obvious the failure to implement much tougher border controls much earlier on both visitors and returning Australians only accelerated this crisis and the need for such draconian restrictions on all domestic social movement and the economy now.

Q.
Coach

Postby stan » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:18 pm

It's all very simple, Dutton and co had a few mates on board.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Q. » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:33 pm

Q.
Coach

Postby Magellan » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:11 pm

Q. wrote:Our boy Cayman Angus in hot water again:

Scandal-magnet Angus Taylor fails to disclose Virgin and Qantas freebies

I wonder if he got the same Young Libs lackey who forged the City of Sydney's flight cost document to fill in his pecuniary disclosure form?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby cracka » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:39 pm

Q. wrote:
cracka wrote:Just curious as to whether you've seen the last page of the Ben Cousins topic.

No, but will read it now

I'd forgotten about this. I was interested in your thoughts on these posts in particular

Dutchy wrote:Understand that, and this is a great case study cause he is one who has more opportunity and support than anyone else to come out the other side, but chooses not too...

JK wrote:Well it is a choice, but not an easy one. Unfortunately he's reached the point where he feels he cant function with any mental or emotional clarity unless he's under the influence. So the way he would see it is that his choice is to go to that level (and lose everything he has left), or Power through but struggle to cope with the needs of life. Again he started this mess so I can understand why there's not much sympathy around for him but he's pretty much f***ed for ever trying to have a happy and healthy life, because he has to bear the cost of the decisions he's already made.

Bum Crack wrote:It is his choice. He doesn't want to change but I'm sure he'd like your explanation though, as that gives them justification to use as it's not their fault and we just don't understand bla bla bla. The opportunities he's been given and pissed up against the wall clearly show that.

amber_fluid wrote:They had a psychologist or drug expert on the show(can’t remember her exact title) but she clearly said at the end it’s Ben’s choice as to where this goes next and what lifestyle he chooses to have.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Q. » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:32 pm

cracka wrote:
Q. wrote:
cracka wrote:Just curious as to whether you've seen the last page of the Ben Cousins topic.

No, but will read it now

I'd forgotten about this. I was interested in your thoughts on these posts in particular

Dutchy wrote:Understand that, and this is a great case study cause he is one who has more opportunity and support than anyone else to come out the other side, but chooses not too...

JK wrote:Well it is a choice, but not an easy one. Unfortunately he's reached the point where he feels he cant function with any mental or emotional clarity unless he's under the influence. So the way he would see it is that his choice is to go to that level (and lose everything he has left), or Power through but struggle to cope with the needs of life. Again he started this mess so I can understand why there's not much sympathy around for him but he's pretty much f***ed for ever trying to have a happy and healthy life, because he has to bear the cost of the decisions he's already made.

Bum Crack wrote:It is his choice. He doesn't want to change but I'm sure he'd like your explanation though, as that gives them justification to use as it's not their fault and we just don't understand bla bla bla. The opportunities he's been given and pissed up against the wall clearly show that.

amber_fluid wrote:They had a psychologist or drug expert on the show(can’t remember her exact title) but she clearly said at the end it’s Ben’s choice as to where this goes next and what lifestyle he chooses to have.

The opinions contradict the neuroscience which "demonstrates that an individual’s predisposition to become addicted to stimulant drugs may be mediated by brain abnormalities linked to impaired self-control".
Q.
Coach

Postby Q. » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:28 am

Looking forward to reading Turnbull's book "A Bigger Picture". Some juicy excerpts already online.

“I had no problem whatsoever with Scott’s political pragmatism – he was, after all, a former state director of the party and looked at issues almost exclusively through a political prism. But working with him was difficult; so much of what we discussed or were thinking about found its way into the media.

“Many of my colleagues encouraged me, without success, to mistrust Scott and to see his briefings as malign, the calculated undermining and manoeuvring of a Machiavellian plotter. And yet we enjoyed a close working relationship. Despite Mathias’s begging me to be selective in what I told him, I continued to be open with Scott. He seemed to me to be my most likely successor, and as far as I could I preferred to work with him as a trusted partner. Scott, like many politicians, wanted to keep himself constantly in the centre of things. That was the purpose, Mathias maintained, of Scott’s constant stream of briefings, mostly to Simon Benson at News Corporation.”

Some of the more scathing commentary Turnbull makes about his successor is delivered through passing references to the prime minister. “Mathias and I agreed we had to make sure Scott was a success.

“We had to recognise he was brittle emotionally and easily offended. At a practical level we both sought to ensure, as tactfully as possible, that he stayed out of negotiations with the Senate. He had a blustering manner that could easily be mistaken for bullying and was often counterproductive.”

Will enjoy seeing Murdoch hacks like Chris Kenny and Peta Credlin mentally implode in public.
Q.
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:34 am

Sounds like Turnbull screwed himself over. Thank allah for that.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Q. » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:03 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Sounds like Turnbull screwed himself over. Thank allah for that.

He has a bit to say on Murdoch's role in his ousting:

Malcolm Turnbull: News Corp is like a political party with the Murdochs encouraging intolerance
Q.
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:44 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Sounds like Turnbull screwed himself over. Thank allah for that.

Rudd and he are having a go at each other.
Amazing that in the middle of the biggest global crisis since WWII, these two narcissists have a major attack of ADD and think people want to hear from them.

The people kicked Rudd out of office. They nearly did it to Turnbull as well.
Amazing our people like Keating, and these two, try to change history to make themselves look better.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:45 pm

So when a former Labor PM and Liberal PM both whinge about Sky, that shows no bias. Even though it is liberal leaning.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Q. » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:58 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:

Rudd and he are having a go at each other.
Amazing that in the middle of the biggest global crisis since WWII, these two narcissists have a major attack of ADD and think people want to hear from them.

The people kicked Rudd out of office. They nearly did it to Turnbull as well.
Amazing our people like Keating, and these two, try to change history to make themselves look better.

Amazing feat by Turnbull to write and publish this book in the space of two months :roll:
Q.
Coach

Postby Psyber » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:45 pm

Q. wrote: The opinions contradict the neuroscience which "demonstrates that an individual’s predisposition to become addicted to stimulant drugs may be mediated by brain abnormalities linked to impaired self-control".

This issue of whether brain abnormalities may impair self-control and awareness of consequences is not a simple matter. Neither is it always possible to be sure whether such abnormalities are actually there or not.

For example, going back to the 1970s, I had dealings with a guy in one of the psych hospitals in Adelaide who at 16 had gotten off a charge of murdering his Aunt and Uncle, who had raised him from and early age, to inherit their property. Two senior Psychiatrists in the SA public service had assessed him as not having a psychiatric condition that impaired him beyond Sociopathic personality disorder and as being responsible for his decisions and actions. However, his lawyer and a private consultant had put up a case that he had Temporal Lobe Epilepsy which impaired his decision making and his resposibility for his actions based on some very minor irregularities showing up occasioanlly in an electro-encephalogram. The jury bought that version, and he was confined in one of the state hospitals until "treated and fit for release". ( Despite that being a Neurological condition rather than a Psychiatric one even if he did have it.)

The irony was that, as a teenager, he would have gotten out sooner if he had just pleaded gulity, because he showed no symptoms in his years in hospital but couldn't be released until the Medical Superintendent coud sign declaration that his condition was effectively treated and he was safe to release - which he couldn't sign because there were no symptoms and no treatment available to offer. The state government in the end had to amend the law to allow the Parole Board to review Mental Health based confinements, and he was eventually released.

My contact with him was late in the process to discuss his seeking to be able to attend group sessions in the open ward, which was declined because he had sexually assaulted two psychotic women when he had been permitted to attend those sessions a year earlier. When I said "no" he grinned and said "Well it was worth a try!" (We got along well thereafter, and he never tried it on again. He was still there when I left.)
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Q. » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:22 am

Psyber wrote:
Q. wrote: The opinions contradict the neuroscience which "demonstrates that an individual’s predisposition to become addicted to stimulant drugs may be mediated by brain abnormalities linked to impaired self-control".

This issue of whether brain abnormalities may impair self-control and awareness of consequences is not a simple matter. Neither is it always possible to be sure whether such abnormalities are actually there or not.

Yes, while recent neuroscience demonstrates the relationship, there is unfortunately no diagnostic tool to screen for it in individuals. Yet.
Q.
Coach

Postby Q. » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:23 am

Global agencies mark Morrison Government FAIL on economy

IN CONTRAST to the last severe worldwide economic recession, Australia is poorly placed to deal with the looming downturn caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. That is the conclusion of two reviews which assess the Coalition’s economic credentials negatively.

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has issued its 'World Economic Outlook Report' with revised forecasts for outcomes over the next two years. It suggests Australia’s progress will be the worst in the Asian region and will lag badly worldwide.

The IMF expects Australia’s jobless rate at the end of this year to be 7.6% — the second-highest amongst the seven advanced Asian economies, behind only New Zealand. The average of the other six in this group – Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong and New Zealand – is estimated to be 4.7%.

Australia’s jobless rate next year will be even worse, at 8.9%, higher even than News Zealand’s 6.8%. The projected 2021 average jobless rate for all six other advanced economies is 3.98%. Thus Australia’s rate is anticipated to more than double that of comparable Asian countries.

Worldwide, the report predicts jobless rates will increase substantially. Among the 36 rich, developed OECD members, the IMF estimates Australia will end up ranking a lowly 15th. This contrasts dramatically with the employment outcomes Australia achieved ten years ago during the global financial crisis (GFC) which Australia weathered far better than any other developed nation.
Q.
Coach

Postby Psyber » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:09 pm

Q. wrote:
Psyber wrote:

Yes, while recent neuroscience demonstrates the relationship, there is unfortunately no diagnostic tool to screen for it in individuals. Yet.

Agreed about "Yet" - we can hope for developments.

A friend of mine is a Paediatric Geneticist in Boston. His general line is that genes set our potential, and environment sets where you land in that range. There is a list of about 20 genes involved in brain development that appear to play some part in Schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorder, ADD/ADHD, and Autistic Spectrum Disorder and possbly other dysfunctions. None of them are identified as clearly specific to a of these conditions.

Sociopathy may prove to be a perceptive disorder perhaps, but the fundamental issue with crime and responsibility is still how much the person is aware of the nature and consequences of their actions.
Psyber
Coach

Postby Psyber » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:19 pm

Q. wrote:Global agencies mark Morrison Government FAIL on economy

IN CONTRAST to the last severe worldwide economic recession, Australia is poorly placed to deal with the looming downturn caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. That is the conclusion of two reviews which assess the Coalition’s economic credentials negatively.

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has issued its 'World Economic Outlook Report' with revised forecasts for outcomes over the next two years. It suggests Australia’s progress will be the worst in the Asian region and will lag badly worldwide.

The IMF expects Australia’s jobless rate at the end of this year to be 7.6% — the second-highest amongst the seven advanced Asian economies, behind only New Zealand. The average of the other six in this group – Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong and New Zealand – is estimated to be 4.7%.

Australia’s jobless rate next year will be even worse, at 8.9%, higher even than News Zealand’s 6.8%. The projected 2021 average jobless rate for all six other advanced economies is 3.98%. Thus Australia’s rate is anticipated to more than double that of comparable Asian countries.

Worldwide, the report predicts jobless rates will increase substantially. Among the 36 rich, developed OECD members, the IMF estimates Australia will end up ranking a lowly 15th. This contrasts dramatically with the employment outcomes Australia achieved ten years ago during the global financial crisis (GFC) which Australia weathered far better than any other developed nation.

Some of my shares in my super fund are taking a dive and I'm still waiting to see how my tenant in my domestic rental property goes. I also expect my Velocity points to evaporate. BUT I'm still more interested in staying alive than in the economy. (I'm in my 70s but on family form should make it into my late 90s.)

The "Asian Flu" almost got me in 1957. I spent most of two weeks semi-conscious and hallucinating, and my temperature hit 108F a few times.
(That's 42.2 C.) I don't want that gamble again.
Psyber
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue May 19, 2020 1:31 pm

I casually watch the politics but wtf happened have we been played.

Saw this on Facebook, much truth to it?

Australia just got played. China and the US sign a free trade agreement six months ago with a huge emphasis on crops. Two weeks ago ScoMo follows Trump's lead and criticises China over COVID. China cracks the shits and whacks a 80% tariff on Australian barley and buys US barley instead (which is subsidized by the US government). Australia gets diddled by our biggest trading partner China and our biggest ally, the US.

Hook, line and sinker. Well done, Morrison.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Q. » Fri May 22, 2020 7:59 am

whufc wrote:I casually watch the politics but wtf happened have we been played.

Saw this on Facebook, much truth to it?

Australia just got played. China and the US sign a free trade agreement six months ago with a huge emphasis on crops. Two weeks ago ScoMo follows Trump's lead and criticises China over COVID. China cracks the shits and whacks a 80% tariff on Australian barley and buys US barley instead (which is subsidized by the US government). Australia gets diddled by our biggest trading partner China and our biggest ally, the US.

Hook, line and sinker. Well done, Morrison.

Probably not far off the truth
Q.
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics