Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed May 22, 2019 5:27 pm

Albo the only official candidate

Jim Chalmers from QLD still an option

Apparently Bill Shorten is trying to undermine Albo's bid....surprise surprise

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3583 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed May 22, 2019 5:52 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Albo the only official candidate

Yeah, he sounded quite bitter.
Might end up being a bloody battle with Albo apparently not well liked within the caucus. Some want Kearney to throw her hat in the ring
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed May 22, 2019 5:52 pm

Surely someone should remind him that he is a two time loser and to feck off
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed May 22, 2019 5:54 pm

Jim05 wrote:

Might end up being a bloody battle with Albo apparently not well liked within the caucus. Some want Kearney to throw her hat in the ring

Do you mean Keneally :shock: Far out! How many elections has she lost!
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed May 22, 2019 5:58 pm

I think Albo has the numbers.
I believe he is the best option even if you had to pick someone.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3583 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed May 22, 2019 6:00 pm

Nothing like some self interest to throw your virtue out the window.
**** me, Labor are going to implode............. Someone give them a Participation Certificate before they do

'Wake-up call': Palaszczuk buckles on Adani three days after election
Mark Ludlow
Queensland Bureau Chief
May 22, 2019 — 12.32pm

Labor's electoral wipeout in Queensland in last Saturday's election has forced Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk to act and clear the way for the approval of Adani's controversial $2 billion Carmichael mine.

Amid fears her own second-term Labor government could also face electoral oblivion by turning its back on blue-collar workers in Central and North Queensland, Ms Palaszczuk has told bureaucrats she wants a "definitive timeframe" on the project by Friday.

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk says "I love fecking coal and those Greens are fricken loopy" at Hay Point coal terminal in Mackay on Wednesday. Supplied

"We need some certainty and we need some time frames. Enough is enough," Ms Palaszczuk said in Mackay on Wednesday.

"I think the federal election was definitely a wake-up call for everyone. I hear that message."

The declaration by the Queensland Premier clears the way for Adani's Carmichael project - which has been held up in the courts and approval process for the past 10 years - to be granted final approvals in the next few weeks or months.

Adani Mining chief executive Lucas Dow, who has been increasingly frustrated about on-going delays, said the state Department of Environment and Science had been reviewing the company's final two environmental management plans for the past two years.

He said anything longer than two weeks for final approvals would show Ms Palaszczuk's comments were just a "stalling tactic".

"We have been put through the highest level of scrutiny on these plans and overcome every hurdle along the way and these plans have been approved at the federal level already," Mr Dow said.

"It's time for the Queensland Labor government to stop the political games. Stop shifting the goal posts and let us get on with delivering these jobs for regional Queenslanders. It is time to get the Carmichael project done."

In a blatant attempt to win back blue-collar workers who had abandoned Labor in regional Queensland, Ms Palaszczuk said she wants the Indian energy company and the Department of Environment and Science to hold a meeting with the Coordinator-General in Brisbane on Thursday to resolve the long-running issue.

"I am expecting a definitive timeframe by Friday," she said.

"This needs to be sorted out and the Coordinator-General has the powers to get both parties in the room and set those time frames."

The Adani project is waiting on final state approvals on two environmental management plans - one on groundwater and one on the protection of the black-throated finch.

Unlike the Commonwealth, final approvals are made by the department, which is the state's environmental regulator, and do not need ministerial sign-off.

The intervention of the Coorindator-General - who is responsible for fast-tracking big mining or infrastructure projects - is expected to end the bottleneck for Adani's controversial mine which has become a lightning rod for environmental activists who want to end coal mining in Australia.

After receiving final Commonwealth approvals in April, the Left-controlled Palaszczuk government has been accused of commissioning extra reviews on Adani's approvals, in an attempt to shore up the support of the Greens in inner-city seats.

But Saturday's election result - where Labor secured only 27.2 per cent primary vote in Queensland and lost two seats, including all political representation in Central and North Queensland - has changed the game for the Palaszczuk government.

If those results were replicated at the next state election, due in October 2020, then the Palaszczuk government would also be voted out.

Ms Palaszczuk and Deputy Premier Jackie Trad on Sunday brushed aside suggestions the Adani mine cost Labor in the regions.

But Ms Palaszczuk's announcement on Thursday was an acknowledgment the Labor government had to change tact on the controversial mine which will open up the frontier Galilee Basin for a string of other thermal coal projects.

Queensland Resources Council chief executive Ian Macfarlane said the Friday deadline should bring an end to the delays and uncertainty surrounding the Adani mine.

"The patience of regional Queenslanders will be severely tested if this week's meeting doesn't provide a resolution and a crystal clear timetable for final approvals," Mr Macfarlane said.

"Resources projects need certainty about approvals and certainty about royalties to ensure they continue to create regional jobs."

But environmental groups were aghast at suggestions the Adani mine was closer to being approved.

"The Queensland government should not cave into pressure from Adani and the coal industry," Australian Conservation Foundation's nature program manager Basha Stasak said.

"If Adani's mine goes ahead it will lock in the burning of Galilee Basin coal for decades to come."

Mackay Conservation Group coordinator Peter McCallum said the Palaszczuk government should stick to the science when assessing the Carmichael mine, especially its impact on groundwater.

Adani's Carmichael mine will export between 10 million and 15 million tonnes of thermal coal a year through its Abbot Point coal terminal.

The project was originally planned to be a $16.5 billion, 60 million tonnes a year mine with a 388-kilometre rail line, but was scaled back by Adani last year to make it more economic.

Adani Mining's parent company, Adani Group, will fund the project, after international banks steered clear of the project which has become a lightning rod for environmental activists who want to end fossil fuel in Australia.

Mark Ludlow writes on politics, energy and infrastructure based in Brisbane. Connect with Mark on Twitter. Email Mark at mludlow@afr.com.au
Last edited by Jimmy_041 on Wed May 22, 2019 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed May 22, 2019 6:04 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Do you mean Keneally :shock: Far out! How many elections has she lost!

No, Ged Kearney the former ACTU boss
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Q. » Wed May 22, 2019 9:40 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:Nothing like some self interest to throw your virtue out the window.
**** me, Labor are going to implode............. Someone give them a Participation Certificate before they do

Ugh, a disgusting backflip.

Adani is going to be an economic disaster.

Even BHP have signalled they will get out of coal faster than they'd predicted:

Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby bennymacca » Thu May 23, 2019 11:16 am

Media watch made a great point on Monday

Whenever you saw Morrison on camera he was the daggy dad who had basically zero policies and campaigned purely on being not Labor

But shorten did absolutely nothing to counter that. Except tell people they would likely be worse off under him (however well intentioned that is) and he is frankly boring as batshit to listen to

Libs decried they were for the economy and lab missed a massive opportunity to attack them on it given the economy has been flat lately. Instead they basically said we will make it harder for a small portion of people
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Q. » Thu May 23, 2019 3:23 pm

bennymacca wrote:Media watch made a great point on Monday

Whenever you saw Morrison on camera he was the daggy dad who had basically zero policies and campaigned purely on being not Labor

But shorten did absolutely nothing to counter that. Except tell people they would likely be worse off under him (however well intentioned that is) and he is frankly boring as batshit to listen to

Libs decried they were for the economy and lab missed a massive opportunity to attack them on it given the economy has been flat lately. Instead they basically said we will make it harder for a small portion of people

I will never understand why they didn't hammer the LNP and electorate about the per capita recession, zero wage growth and massive decline in household disposable income.
Q.
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu May 23, 2019 3:31 pm

ALP "The LNP will make rich people richer"

The public "Yeah, and?"

That was it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby heater31 » Thu May 23, 2019 3:45 pm

Q. wrote:

I will never understand why they didn't hammer the LNP and electorate about the per capita recession, zero wage growth and massive decline in household disposable income.
And Labor taxing the **** out of anyone (both business and individuals) with money was going to reverse this?
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu May 23, 2019 4:59 pm

Baby boomers should think of everyone but themselves according to Tony Windsor
And, apparently, we've never worked hard, or gone without, to save for our retirement.
Now, somebody comes along wanting to steal what we've saved and we have to think about what they don't have.
BTW Tony, baby boomers didn't have full access to the SGL. I was 33 when it came in. I salary SACRIFICED from the age 21 to ensure I could retire gracefully.

And, BTW, how's life living on your Parliamentary pension for life Tony?
State pension for 1991 to 2001 and Federal for 2001 to 2013.
Nice little earners mate - and dont have to worry about anyone attacking your retirement funding TWAT
Attachments
Windsor.png
Windsor.png (35.58 KiB) Viewed 1904 times
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu May 23, 2019 5:01 pm

I'd say he's suggesting "Don't just think of yourselves", but why would they, they'll be dead by the time we all fry so **** it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu May 23, 2019 5:03 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote: I salary SACRIFICED from the age 21 to ensure I could retire gracefully.

How awful that you could earn tax free money.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu May 23, 2019 6:12 pm

Booney wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote: I salary SACRIFICED from the age 21 to ensure I could retire gracefully.

How awful that you could earn tax free money.

It was whilst we were paying 17.5% interest rates on one salary to ensure we didn’t have to rely on the pension later. The SGL is tax free money.
Windsor’s pensions of somewhere north of $200,000pa for life, was pre-tax on the way in, non-taxed on the way out, for life and indexed. 100% paid for by the taxpayers of NSW and Australia.
In addition, the Shorten proposals would not have affected those pensions.

I’ll be lectured by you Booney; not him!
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Q. » Fri May 24, 2019 10:35 am

heater31 wrote:
Q. wrote:

And Labor taxing the **** out of anyone (both business and individuals) with money was going to reverse this?

LNP was projected to be higher taxing (to GDP ratio) than Labor.

Labor actually had policies to correct negative economic growth and wage stagnation. LNP has none at this stage.
Q.
Coach

Postby Q. » Fri May 24, 2019 10:38 am

Booney wrote:I'd say he's suggesting "Don't just think of yourselves", but why would they, they'll be dead by the time we all fry so **** it.

It's looking like LNP will need to raise GST, other taxes or massively cut spending to fund ongoing franking credit refunds for the wealthy. Looming as an economic disaster.
Q.
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri May 24, 2019 10:42 am

:lol:
ScoMo gives thanks to the ‘friends’ who made victory possible
Prime Minister Scott Morrison (left) and his 'friends' (clockwise from top left) Kristina Keneally, GetUp volunteers in Warringah, Peter FitzSimons, Zali Steggall, Malcolm Turnbull, Chris Bowen, Rob Oakeshott and Kevin Rudd and Bill Shorten.

THE MOCKER
5:44PM MAY 23, 2019896

That part of Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s victory speech you never got to hear*:

“Friends, I have given due credit to those in the Coalition camp who helped return us to government. Now I intend acknowledging the efforts of those outside the tent who did the same, albeit inadvertently.

“First and foremost, Bill Shorten. Thank you for your incessant and snide references to the ‘top end of town’. You reinforced the message the Labor Party philosophy of the twenty-first century is one of envy and resentment when it comes to private enterprise and self-sufficiency. Remember last year when you boasted to Arnold Schwarzenegger “I’m gonna be the next Prime Minister of Australia”? To quote The Terminator, “Get out”.

“Zali Steggall, I thought after this election I would have to resolve the difficult issue of whether to return a displaced former PM to cabinet, but you have solved that problem. In return I will fulfil your declaration that you will be a ‘climate leader’. In conjunction with the NSW government, I will ensure Warringah becomes the world model for fighting climate change.
Warringah’s newly-elected MP and ‘climate leader’, Zali Steggall. Picture: AAP
“Beginning next month, Warringah will be a no-go area for any vehicle powered by fossil fuels. That includes your SUV, Zali. Residents can instead drive electric vehicles; however, I stress henceforth your entire division will be powered by electricity generated not by coal, but by renewables. How you cope with this massive increase in demand for power is up to you. Any complaints, speak to your local member AKA climate leader.

“It doesn’t end there, Warringah. The rest of Australia will be watching to see the effects of your considerable drop in carbon emissions. I have commissioned the Bureau of Meteorology to build the most advanced weather station known to humankind in the centre of Mosman. From there, the agency will carefully monitor data over the next three years, after which it will report the difference between the average temperature in Sydney’s North Shore now and that of 2022. Zali, I suspect that percentage will also reflect your chances of being re-elected.

GetUp! volunteers in the federal electorate of Warringah. Picture: Jim O’Rourke
“To those members of GetUp! who thought it would be a good idea to get Alex Turnbull to make robocalls to voters, let me just say as an ex-marketing man I was surprised you decided to hand the telephone to him. Nevertheless, you succeeded — if your goal was to return us to government, that is. Who will you be using for the next election, Clementine Ford perhaps?

“As for our blitzing it in Queensland, I want to acknowledge how deeply we are in debt to the lady in charge of that great state, Deputy Premier Jackie Trad. Your hindering of the Adani mine approval process may have appeased the Trots in your inner-city seat, but as we see the rest of the state is gunning for your government. Kudos as well to Bob Brown and his anti-Adani convoy. Here’s a hint as to why that backfired so badly, Bob: most unemployed people in Queensland, unlike your mob, actually want a job.

“Chris Bowen, if you were standing in front of me right now, I would embrace you. The kindest thing I can say about your record as Shadow Treasurer, particularly your tax policies, is that it’s up there with your performance as immigration minister between 2010-13. Seriously, you really said to the boomers “if you don’t like our policies, don’t vote for us”? And they did just that. Guess who benefited?

“Now think back everyone a couple of years ago to the Bennelong by-election. Let’s imagine the Labor powerbrokers deciding who to field. ‘I know,’ shouts one. ‘Remember when the NSW Government suffered the worst defeat in the state’s history? Let’s get that premier!’ Fair dinkum, Senator Kristina Keneally: it’s not as if you can erase the memory of those years as easily as you did your Twitter account when you were nominated.

“On the subject of bad memories, let’s give a big shout-out to former Treasurer Wayne Swan, now national president of the ALP. As long as he occupies that position, he will be the face of the party’s economic legacy and a reminder of those immortal words in 2012: ‘The four years of surpluses I announce tonight are a powerful endorsement of the … success of our policies.’

Ummm … nope. Penny Wong (right) gives the cold shoulder to Simon Birmingham. Picture: Screengrab/ABC
“And by now everyone has a fair idea of how Senator Penny Wong, the would-be Minister for Foreign Affairs, would perform in a stressful and challenging international summit. I reckon we won at least two marginal seats solely due to your petulant refusal to shake Trade Minister Simon Birmingham’s hand at the South Australian Press Club.

“Rob Oakeshott, I’m not sure what felt the longest — the three years of the minority Gillard/Rudd governments or your excruciating 17-minute speech. Probably the latter. In any event it’s fair to say your running for Cowper reminded the whole of Australia what happened last time you were kingmaker.

“Kevin Rudd, I thank you for your spiteful, hysterical, and constant tweeting throughout the course of this campaign. It has been nearly six years since your government was swiftly dispatched, but the public needed reminding of what it was like under the last Labor prime minister.

Kevin Rudd only does cool handshakes. Picture: AFP
“Now I just want to mention several commentators, mainly to show how accurately they reflect the views of mainstream Australians.

Tell us what you really think, Jane Caro. Picture: Twitter
“To author and Sydney Morning Herald columnist Jane Caro — all it takes is a skinful for you self-righteous types to reveal your true selves, and you were no exception on Saturday night. ‘I shall … stick two rude fingers up at all the truculent turds who voted to turn backwards’, you tweeted, also adding you wished you lived in New Zealand.

“So do we, Jane.

“Then there’s another Sydney Morning Herald columnist and author, Peter FitzSimons, who tweeted only in January:

“There are 60 replies to this benign tweet from the PM, congratulating Australia’s latest hero, Ash Barty who had just toppled Maria Sharapova in the Oz Open. 59 of those replies are just different ways of telling the PM to F*&@ Off.” So what did this columnist make of that? ‘This is grim,’ he stated. ‘The mood is savage.’ This is not even pseudo-psephology, Fitz: it’s reading Twitter tea leaves. As someone once said, you could save yourself much embarrassment by taking that ridiculous bandana off your head and tying it tightly around your mouth.

Peter FitzSimons

@Peter_Fitz
This is grim. There are 60 replies to this benign tweet from the PM, congratulating Australia's latest hero, Ash Barty who had just toppled Maria Sharapova in the Oz Open
59 of those replies are just different ways of telling the PM to F*&@ Off.
The mood is savage.#auspol
Scott Morrison

@ScottMorrisonMP
How good is @ashbar96!
View image on Twitter

“As for Fitz’s good wife, Lisa Wilkinson, I thank you for your unsolicited open letter on the night of the election. I was bemused to hear you say, ‘we’re all feeling just a little broken right now’. Fact is I see a lot of happy people post-election as well as those feeling greatly relieved. But I was downright amused to read your statement ‘If you’re ever in doubt when those big decision-making moments arise, when all the nation turns its lonely eyes to you … can you do us a favour? Just call Jacinda.’
Happy couple (but not on election night) Peter FitzSimons and Lisa Wilkinson. Picture: Stephen Cooper
“Can I draw your attention to the following excerpts written by your hubby — August 2018: Where are you, Mr Roberts, by the way? A nation turns its lonely, bemused eyes to you. March 2018: Where have you gone Adam Gilchrist, a nation turns its lonely eyes to you. December 2016: Where are you, Yogi Berra? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you. December 2015: Oh, where have you gone, North Sydney Bears? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you. October 2015: Where are you, Roy & HG? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you. June 2015: Where are you now Godwin Grech? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you. July 2013: Where have you gone Allan Border — a nation turns its lonely eyes to you.

“Instead of purporting to appeal on behalf of the nation, do you think you and your other half could occasionally write something — how should I put this — original? Please don’t take offence. I really mean it when I say we’d like to help you learn to help yourself.

“Lastly, I refer to the man you would have to agree was the most shattered Australian on Saturday night. What’s that — I’ve already mentioned Bill Shorten you say? No, I’m talking about Malcolm Turnbull. There is a lot more I can say about him, but I’ll confine my remarks solely to his insistence that I explain to Australians why he was removed as prime minister. Friends, that is a question which, like my predecessor, has become redundant.”

Oh, hello Malcolm. What’s doing? Picture: AAP
* according to The Mocker, who certainly can’t be taken seriously

THE MOCKER
The Mocker amuses himself by calling out poseurs, sneering social commentators, and po-faced officials. He is deeply suspicious of those who seek increased regulation of speech and behaviour. Believing that jou... Read more
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri May 24, 2019 10:44 am

Q. wrote:
Booney wrote:I'd say he's suggesting "Don't just think of yourselves", but why would they, they'll be dead by the time we all fry so **** it.

It's looking like LNP will need to raise GST, other taxes or massively cut spending to fund ongoing franking credit refunds for the wealthy. Looming as an economic disaster.

Source?
Jimmy_041
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics