Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby Bum Crack » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:27 pm

Spargo wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Q. wrote:LNP unveil another Claytons policy:

Whats the issue? So they should sit on their hands an do nothing?

Come on Dutch, how many people who earn under $125k have $150k (minimum) spare for reno’s?

And if they did have that amount spare, they probably don't need a 25k handout from the government in any event.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 884 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Booney » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:27 pm

Dutchy wrote:Whats the issue? So they should sit on their hands an do nothing?

Abolish stamp duty for first home buyers who build or give them $25k to do so.

Grant $25k to people linked to the NDIA to make their houses more accessible.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:50 pm

Booney wrote:

First home owners in SA could get $40k to build a new home. Nothing to be sneezed at
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:51 pm

It isn't designed to suit everyone, otherwise they would be swamped. There would be plenty of people planning reno's over the last 12 months that have put it off due to COVID, this is now an incentive to not put it off any longer and get some much needed cash into tradie hands before Christmas. If people are sitting on their cash or equity in their properties that is dead money that isn't helping our economy.

I can't see tradie's complaining and Ive seen plenty of mortgage brokers promoting it, we seriously will complain about anything for sake of complaining.

My sister has just finished a $200k reno, she is spewing :lol:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:52 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:

First home owners in SA could get $40k to build a new home. Nothing to be sneezed at

Correct FHOG of $15k has been in place pre-COVID
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Spargo » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:55 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:

Only if you build
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Jim05 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:58 pm

Spargo wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:[quote="Dutchy"]

Only if you build[/quote]I’m trying to give my son the hint to move out. Won’t get a better time to build IMO. $40k upfront and the lowest interest rates possible.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Q. » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:07 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Q. wrote:LNP unveil another Claytons policy:

That's literally what the policy does - nothing. Inaccessible to almost everyone and will have zero impact on the economy.

Scott Morrison’s HomeBuilder scheme is classic retail politics but lousy economics
Last edited by Q. on Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Q. » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:11 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:Our first recession since Paul Keating's imposed "recession we had to have".
The famous quote from the Treasurer that imposed interest rates of around 18 - 19% on the Australian people for their own good

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-15/ ... a/12148020

Called it this time last year:

Q. wrote:The real question now is, given we've had zero percent wage growth for almost a year and sit in a per capita recession, will the LNP continue down this path and into a full recession over the next three years?

God bless our superior economic managers :roll:
Q.
Coach

Postby Psyber » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:30 pm

I agree that while the $40K grant for building a new home may be useful the $25K for a minumum $150K reno is pointless and unnecesary.
As a member, I have written to the party to say so...
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Q. » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:32 pm

Psyber wrote:I agree that while the $40K grant for building a new home may be useful the $25K for a minumum $150K reno is pointless and unnecesary.

I need to write more letters instead of wasting my time on here :D
Q.
Coach

Postby cracka » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:18 pm

Q. wrote:
Psyber wrote:I agree that while the $40K grant for building a new home may be useful the $25K for a minumum $150K reno is pointless and unnecesary.

Many of us on here would agree with you on that :D
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Psyber » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:49 am

Q. wrote:

Well it was actually an email to the state secretariat CC'd to my local federal and state members...
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:08 pm

The lefties are not going to be happy

Australia leads on economic recovery: OECD
Matthew Cranston and John Kehoe
Jun 10, 2020 – 6.41pm

Australia is leading the developed world out of the pandemic-induced recession but governments must reform labour markets, tax, regulation and competition to ensure a sustained recovery, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development says.

In a warning to the Morrison government not to withdraw its emergency spending too quickly in September, the OECD also advised Australia to consider further stimulus to boost incomes and reduce unemployment.

The OECD issued fresh forecasts on Wednesday night showing Australia's recession would see economic output contract 5 per cent in 2020 and consumption to plunge 7.6 per cent – trailing only South Korea, China and Indonesia in terms of economic resilience.

The local economy is tipped to rebound 4.1 per cent in 2021 if the coronavirus is kept under control and a "second wave" is avoided.

World GDP is expected to fall 6 per cent this year – the largest ever projected in the 60 years of the OECD, while the loss of income will exceed that of any previous world recession over the last 100 years except during times of war.

OECD chief economist Laurence Boone said "business failure and bankruptcy risks loom large" and that governments needed to respond with better targeted assistance and significant economic reform to weather further shocks.

"Extraordinary policies will be required to walk the tightrope towards recovery," Dr Boone said.

"Governments must seize this opportunity to engineer a fairer and more sustainable economy, making competition and regulation smarter, modernising government taxes, spending, and social protection.

"Improving employer-employee relationships should accompany ongoing public support for workers and firms."

Dr Boone said: "The Australian government has been very efficient in shielding firms and workers"

The OECD warned that emergency support measures – such as the $70 billion JobKeeper wage subsidy – should be adapted because tourism, travel, entertainment, restaurants and accommodation “will not resume as before”.

"Governments can provide the safety nets that allow people and firms to adjust, but cannot uphold private sector activity, employment and wages for a prolonged period.

"Capital and workers from impaired sectors and businesses will have to move towards expanding ones."

"Such transitions are difficult, and rarely happen fast enough to prevent the number of failing firms from rising and a sustained period of unemployment."

Keeping viable firms alive through indirect financial supports such as loans and guarantees was advised.

The OECD's report said Australia had "ample fiscal space" to support the economic recovery to avoid the scarring effects of unemployment, especially for young workers.

The government should consider "further stimulus" to support income once existing measures – such as JobKeeper – are scheduled to expire at the end of September.

"Such support should focus on improving resilience and social and physical infrastructure, including strengthening the social safety net and investing in energy efficiency and social housing," the OECD said.

"Firms should continue to be supported, including through expanded loan guarantees, accompanied by expedited insolvency procedures."

The Paris-based OECD's outlook is less gloomy for Australia than the 6.7 per cent contraction the International Monetary Fund forecast in April – the worst downturn since the Great Depression of the 1930s.

On Wednesday Westpac's consumer sentiment index surged by 6.4 per cent for June to erase all its losses from the March/April crisis period.

Credit and debit card data also showed spending was now 5 per cent higher than the same time last year.

While health outcomes have underpinned Australia's stronger than expected economic performance, a significant part of the resilience has been fiscal and monetary stimulus measures which account for about 13.3 per cent of GDP, including loan guarantees and cheap RBA funding to the banks.

Direct government spending and tax stimulus measures account for 6.9 per cent of GDP – among the highest in the world even after the $60 billion adjustment to the cost of the JobKeeper program.

The OECD data showed Australia's forecast gross government debt of about 60 per cent was only half the OECD average.

This week Treasury Secretary Steven Kennedy said the magnitude of the economic hit to Australia had been "steadily revised down" and that unemployment would not be as bad as its earlier 10 per cent forecast by June.

The Reserve Bank has also indicated an easier landing for the economy than first thought but insisted that governments engage in reform and free the economy of smothering regulation.

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said pre-COVID fiscal discipline had been key to the outcome but said the government would provide all that was necessary to ensure sustained recovery.

"We entered this health and economic crisis from a position of economic strength which has enabled us, in the words of the OECD, to provide “massive macroeconomic policy support” with $260 billion or 13.3 per cent of GDP in support for workers, households and business," Mr Frydenberg said.

"There is still a long way to go in recovering from this once in a hundred year global pandemic but we are heading in the right direction and we will continue to do all that is necessary to ensure Australia bounces back stronger on the other side of this crisis.”

The OECD also raised concerns of growing inequality as a result of the virus, after lockdown measures imposed by governments hit low income earners and younger workers the hardest.

"Everywhere, the lockdown has also exacerbated inequality across workers, with those able to telework generally highly qualified, while the least qualified and youth are often on the front line, unable to work or are laid off, with the effects further compounded by unequal access to social protection," the OECD says.

The OECD outlook, titled World Economy on a Tightrope, outlines two possible scenarios.

The first is the virus recedes and remains under control and the second is a "second wave" of rapid contagion erupting later in 2020.

Under the latter more pessimistic scenario, Australia's economy could contract 6.3 per cent in 2020, compared to a 7.3 per cent decline for the G20 and a 7.6 per cent fall for the world.

Continued restrictions on international travel throughout 2020, together with Australia’s geography, imply that a second outbreak could be smaller than elsewhere.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Magellan » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:34 pm

Morrison 'apologised' this afternoon in Parliament for the RoboDebt farce.

"I would apologise for any hurt or harm in the way that the government has dealt with that issue."

'Would'? WTF? RoboDebt has been responsible for suicides and mental health issues among society's most vulnerable. A better show of leadership would've been to keep his spin doctor-approved 'apology' to himself and sack Stuart Robert instead.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Q. » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:55 pm

In yet another grub act, Scummo uses a funeral in his agenda against Labor premiers:

In a scathing letter to the Prime Minister, Ms Prendergast said she was "extremely disappointed that you have used my family to try and advance your political agenda".

"Your politics and media campaign against the Queensland Premier have made an absolutely devastating time for my family even harder," she wrote.

"Sarah Caisip should not have been used as a tool to vilify the actions of the Queensland Premier and Health Department.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/politics/queensland/a-very-private-moment-made-public-sarah-s-sister-hits-out-at-pm-20200913-p55v4t.html
Q.
Coach

Postby Apachebulldog » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:48 am

But this debacle still highlights the fact that the PALACHOOK and her CMO are both cold heartless soul less fools both lacking compassion and human decency especially after phone calls from others pleading for an exemption for this poor girl to attend the funeral.
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby stan » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:30 am

Q. wrote:In yet another grub act, Scummo uses a funeral in his agenda against Labor premiers:

In a scathing letter to the Prime Minister, Ms Prendergast said she was "extremely disappointed that you have used my family to try and advance your political agenda".

"Your politics and media campaign against the Queensland Premier have made an absolutely devastating time for my family even harder," she wrote.

"Sarah Caisip should not have been used as a tool to vilify the actions of the Queensland Premier and Health Department.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/politics/queensland/a-very-private-moment-made-public-sarah-s-sister-hits-out-at-pm-20200913-p55v4t.html
Bit rough on ScMo, he's only just started his compassion lessons. I mean you can't play the guitar only after a couple of lessons now van you.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Q. » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:40 pm

Apachebulldog wrote:But this debacle still highlights the fact that the PALACHOOK and her CMO are both cold heartless soul less fools both lacking compassion and human decency especially after phone calls from others pleading for an exemption for this poor girl to attend the funeral.

Just taking a leaf out of the Federal Govt playbook

Q.
Coach

Postby Q. » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:49 pm

Easily the most corrupt Aus govt in history, the Morrison govt has given another shining display of that corruption.

They established a National Covid Coordination Commission to advise on the response to the economic crisis but stacked it with gas & mining executives. The NCCC then recommended the Govt subsidise new pipelines for a 'gas led recovery" and then today the Govt announced that they would underwrite a Hunter gas power plant (nevermind that AEMO in it's ISP saw no need for additional gas capacity this decade and that a new build would be a stranded asset by the time it comes online).
Q.
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics