Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby Q. » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:16 pm

cracka wrote:
am Bays wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Sco Mo wins

Worse than Turnbull

But better than Dutton and Shorten

That's what worries me. All he has to do now is nothing & he'll get in at the next election. Then in 12-18 months, when things are going shit, Albo will do the same thing as Dutton.
You realise Labor has introduced a mechanism to avoid the type of shit that has happened this week.

Shorten will do a full term.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby cracka » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:28 pm

Q. wrote:
cracka wrote:
am Bays wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Sco Mo wins

Worse than Turnbull

That's what worries me. All he has to do now is nothing & he'll get in at the next election. Then in 12-18 months, when things are going shit, Albo will do the same thing as Dutton.
You realise Labor has introduced a mechanism to avoid the type of shit that has happened this week.

When did they do that & what is the mechanism
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:28 pm

cracka wrote:
Q. wrote:
cracka wrote:
am Bays wrote:[quote="mighty_tiger_79"]Sco Mo wins

Worse than Turnbull

When did they do that & what is the mechanism[/quote]Rudd introduced it

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11839 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby cracka » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:33 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
cracka wrote:
Q. wrote:
cracka wrote:That's what worries me. All he has to do now is nothing & he'll get in at the next election. Then in 12-18 months, when things are going shit, Albo will do the same thing as Dutton.

Rudd introduced it

Of course he did after the Rudd-Gillard-Rudd debacle. So what is the mechanism
cracka
Veteran

Postby jo172 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:37 pm

cracka wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
cracka wrote:
Q. wrote:You realise Labor has introduced a mechanism to avoid the type of shit that has happened this week.

Rudd introduced it

Can only have a spill after losing a general election unless over 50% of the caucus and 50% of the party membership endorses the spill.

Probably makes the leader dangerously bullet proof and is a step too far in the other direction.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby heater31 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:42 pm

jo172 wrote:
cracka wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
cracka wrote:[quote="Q."]You realise Labor has introduced a mechanism to avoid the type of shit that has happened this week.

Rudd introduced it

Can only have a spill after losing a general election unless over 50% of the caucus and 50% of the party membership endorses the spill.

Probably makes the leader dangerously bullet proof and is a step too far in the other direction.[/quote]Liberals only needed 2 signatures but Mal demanded 43. Not worth the paper it is printed on....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby cracka » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:44 pm

cracka wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
cracka wrote:
Q. wrote:You realise Labor has introduced a mechanism to avoid the type of shit that has happened this week.

Rudd introduced it

jo172 wrote:Can only have a spill after losing a general election unless over 50% of the caucus and 50% of the party membership endorses the spill.

Probably makes the leader dangerously bullet proof and is a step too far in the other direction.

So not a 100% guarantee that it could never happen.
cracka
Veteran

Postby tigerpie » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:49 pm

Is the federal parliament mimicking a footy club.

Morrison with his hand on Turnbull's shoulder " The PM has my full support".

I'd trust a tiger snake more than morrison not to bite me.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby stan » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:13 pm

tigerpie wrote:Is the federal parliament mimicking a footy club.

Morrison with his hand on Turnbull's shoulder " The PM has my full support".

I'd trust a tiger snake more than morrison not to bite me.
The PM must of had the full support of the board.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby stan » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:38 am

How's that Cabinet look lol.
stan
Coach

Postby shoe boy » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:38 am

stan wrote:How's that Cabinet look lol.

Same crowd as last week and they expect us too believe this is a "new generation" =))
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby tigerpie » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:04 pm

Morrison saying him and fryer didn't knife Turnbull. And saying it with a straight face.
The Seinfeld line.......its not a lie if you believe it!
These dicks really think we are that dumb?

Total contempt shown for the intelligence of the electorate
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby stan » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:27 pm

shoe boy wrote:
stan wrote:How's that Cabinet look lol.

Same crowd as last week and they expect us too believe this is a "new generation" =))
It's a new generation alright. Based on the new energy minister, environment minister and ScoMo's chief of staff we will see a new generation of coal and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Carmichael coal mine get going with some haste.
stan
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:27 pm

The newest poll show they have their lowest support in a decade.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Hondo » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:36 pm

cracka wrote:
jo172 wrote:Can only have a spill after losing a general election unless over 50% of the caucus and 50% of the party membership endorses the spill.

So not a 100% guarantee that it could never happen.

I think IF the Liberals are roundly punished for this in the next election that alone may be enough of a deterrent from Labor doing it yet again to Shorten.

We do have to remember Turnbull himself pulled this stunt twice. Once in opposition to Brendan Nelson and then to Abbott as the PM.

One key problem has been that for Gillard and then Turnbull the PM they replaced stayed in Parliament unable to let go of the hurt. And I guess why wouldn't you be hurt from having your PM'ship taken from you. So to fix that the rule would have to be the ditched PM actually walks away from Parliament but is that fair on either them or the voters in their electorate?

The best fix is as we would all agree just don't do it in the first place. Part of this is being smart enough to pick a leader who is popular (obviously) but who also has the support of their party AND is actually enough of a functional leader to both be the election winning populist AND a competent PM in terms of the day to day work. History says that Rudd despite being the popular leader who got Labor back into power could not then function as the PM due to work habits etc. Well surely that can be worked out before you appoint him as leader.
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby Gozu » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:04 pm

To be fair to Labor they had no idea of how Rudd would act as PM. He became increasingly obsessed with his high approval ratings in the opinion polls and refused to make hard decisions that might affect his standing with the public by constantly delaying decisions. The PM office became so chaotic that Rudd also committed the cardinal sin of refusing to engage with his peers and forcing all correspondence from his fellow Labor politicians to go through his chief of staff. Rudd's CoS was often referred to as the second most powerful person in the country at the time despite not being an elected politician.

I see Abbott's trying to spin in the media rounds this morning declaring 'the age of the political assassin' over. I suspect Abbott knows he and his antics will feature prominently in tonight's Four Corners on this debacle.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:12 pm

Don’t forget Labor now need 50% of party members as well as 50% of caucus to knife a leader. So they have largely learned from their previous mistakes
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:38 pm

Gozu wrote:To be fair to Labor they had no idea of how Rudd would act as PM. He became increasingly obsessed with his high approval ratings in the opinion polls and refused to make hard decisions that might affect his standing with the public by constantly delaying decisions. The PM office became so chaotic that Rudd also committed the cardinal sin of refusing to engage with his peers and forcing all correspondence from his fellow Labor politicians to go through his chief of staff. Rudd's CoS was often referred to as the second most powerful person in the country at the time despite not being an elected politician.

I see Abbott's trying to spin in the media rounds this morning declaring 'the age of the political assassin' over. I suspect Abbott knows he and his antics will feature prominently in tonight's Four Corners on this debacle.

The same thing happened with Abbott / Credlin
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Hondo » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:47 pm

Gozu wrote:To be fair to Labor they had no idea of how Rudd would act as PM. He became increasingly obsessed with his high approval ratings in the opinion polls and refused to make hard decisions that might affect his standing with the public by constantly delaying decisions. The PM office became so chaotic that Rudd also committed the cardinal sin of refusing to engage with his peers and forcing all correspondence from his fellow Labor politicians to go through his chief of staff. Rudd's CoS was often referred to as the second most powerful person in the country at the time despite not being an elected politician.

So did the power go to his head? I struggle with the concept that his work habits were not known beforehand and that his dysfunction as PM couldn't have been anticipated. I recall that documentary on the Gillard/Rudd years said that even prior to being PM he was known for being a severe workaholic and prone to dysfunction.

I accept that these faults became magnified as PM but even then I think it is up to the Government to change their systems, workflows, processes whatever is required to get him functioning as a PM, but leave him in place as he was when the voters elected Labor in. I think barring major inexcusable incidents the party has a responsibility to get their government working under the Leader they decided was the right person for the job.
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby Gozu » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:20 pm

Hondo wrote:So did the power go to his head? I struggle with the concept that his work habits were not known beforehand and that his dysfunction as PM couldn't have been anticipated. I recall that documentary on the Gillard/Rudd years said that even prior to being PM he was known for being a severe workaholic and prone to dysfunction.

I accept that these faults became magnified as PM but even then I think it is up to the Government to change their systems, workflows, processes whatever is required to get him functioning as a PM, but leave him in place as he was when the voters elected Labor in. I think barring major inexcusable incidents the party has a responsibility to get their government working under the Leader they decided was the right person for the job.

I think the power clearly did go to Rudd's head. Remember he was someone that never had much support within the Labor party he was from the smaller of two factions of the Queensland Right. The larger faction of the QLD Right was headed by Wayne Swan which is why he was a 'package deal' with Rudd as Treasurer. Rudd was always an 'outsider' in the QLD Labor party and I think his success in Labor finally beating John Howard the man who had stood between the ALP and government for so long and along with Rudd's record breaking popularity with the public saw it all go to his head and thus alienate himself from the rest of the party/government.

I remember during the CPRS debacle Rudd refused to speak to Greens leader Bob Brown who had been trying to set up a meeting with Rudd for something like 6-9 months. No matter what colour your stripes you can't have someone like that as PM.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics