Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Abbott Watch

Postby redandblack » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:40 pm

Part of Ross Gittins article in The Age today.

It's always a lot harder to explain a complex policy than it is to put the frighteners on the punters, but Tony Abbott's gross misrepresentation of the carbon tax's effect on prices, employment and whole industries exceeds all records in effectiveness and dishonesty. I would never have believed one politician could, by all his reckless claims, stop retail sales in their tracks as frightened punters close their purses in fear for their futures. Why the retailers aren't tearing him apart I don't know.

Do his fellow Liberals and their supporters imagine there will be no backlash when voters eventually realise how much they were wound up?
redandblack

Postby Sky Pilot » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:25 pm

cripple wrote:So you don't have a preferred leader? At the moment i think 2 out of your 3 wishes will come to fruition, the third one is a long way off.

well i do like Tony Abbott. I've met him and discussed stuff with him (briefly) and I believe he has the best interests of the country at heart. If you are a Liberal voter you would hope he achieves something the same as if you were a port Power supporter you would hope the Primus boy would get you up sooner rather than later. Bottom line is I think the whole country has had enough of sceeching Julia and her puppet-master Bob Brown. Both have to go or we are stuffed.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby southee » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Sky Pilot wrote:
cripple wrote:So you don't have a preferred leader? At the moment i think 2 out of your 3 wishes will come to fruition, the third one is a long way off.

well i do like Tony Abbott. I've met him and discussed stuff with him (briefly) and I believe he has the best interests of the country at heart. If you are a Liberal voter you would hope he achieves something the same as if you were a port Power supporter you would hope the Primus boy would get you up sooner rather than later. Bottom line is I think the whole country has had enough of sceeching Julia and her puppet-master Bob Brown. Both have to go or we are stuffed.

Talking to the people on the street....most people out there think the same SP. Even the most loyal of Labor voters I know are starting to get sick of the Gillard/Brown government. ;)
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby cripple » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:25 pm

Thats fair enough, although i do think all politicians have what they believe to be the best interests pf the country at heart its just a case of them convincing us to believe the same thing.
cripple
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby straight talker » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:03 pm

yes elections are for the people to vote who they want to lead the country and for pollies to tell the people which way they are going to steer the country correct?? well the simple fact is that if JULIAR had of told the people of AUS she was going to introduce a carbon tax she would not have won the election. Why couldnt she do what HOWARD did with the gst and make the people aware of what he was going to do if he won the election?? She is in government cos she gave in to the loony greens and i am glad that they went with Labor as i would shudder if the Liberal party had to sell there soul to these incompetent people and throw in the other 2 duffs.
straight talker

Postby Sojourner » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:14 am

Retaillers are not making money because the Reserve Bank Board made a mistake in raising interest rates last time around and they have overcooked the economy as a result, increased Interest Rates along with State Government Charges doubled for things like Water Bills have pushed a number of people to lock down their spending, what they made in putting up the rates 1/4 is likely going to cost them a full 1% reduction to keep the economy out of recession.
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby redandblack » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:01 pm

TONY Abbott has had to correct his second climate change policy gaffe in as many days, as Julia Gillard's job to sell her policy grew harder with the launch of a $10 million advertising campaign backed by angry industry groups.

Mr Abbott was accused by the government of deliberately misleading people when he told a radio station that although he supported reducing carbon dioxide emissions, ''I've never been in favour of a carbon tax or an emissions trading scheme''.

This statement was at odds with several public comments he made in support of both a carbon tax and an ETS during 2009, when Malcolm Turnbull was trying to negotiate an ETS with Kevin Rudd.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/environment/clima ... z1ShPrN5tM
http://www.smh.com.au/environment/clima ... 1howy.html

He doesn't even believe himself :D
redandblack

Postby gossipgirl » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:18 pm

Sojourner wrote:Retaillers are not making money because the Reserve Bank Board made a mistake in raising interest rates last time around and they have overcooked the economy as a result, increased Interest Rates along with State Government Charges doubled for things like Water Bills have pushed a number of people to lock down their spending, what they made in putting up the rates 1/4 is likely going to cost them a full 1% reduction to keep the economy out of recession.

plus the greedy greedy banks putting up interest rates much more than the reserve bank.
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1433 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Q. » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:24 pm

Abbott free of the shackles of truth

But that’s the Opposition Leader for you, a man who has kicked free of the shackles of truth and consistency. Tony Abbott’s on course to be our first post-modern Prime Minister. He’s the big-government social engineer who enthuses about small government, the global cooling carbon tax advocate who wants direct action to address global warming, the proponent of lower taxes who proposes his own new taxes, the economics graduate who doesn’t grasp economics, the leader who urged Peter Reith to run for the party presidency then voted against him, the bloke who wants to stop the boats via policies that in the past guaranteed asylum seekers came to Australia.

And, to recycle John Howard’s famous line, the time will suit him.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Sky Pilot » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:57 pm

Its all Good. Go Tony
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby redandblack » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:23 pm

Part of an article which takes Julia Gillard to task about media 'freedom', but this is the bit I like:

Tony Abbott is claiming he never supported an emissions trading scheme. Jaded observers will interpret this as simply another instance of Abbott revisionism, but I think it's a crucial new development. It demonstrates that the Leader of the Opposition is now prepared to deny even things that he has put in writing. Moreover, The Age references a recent public meeting in South Dandenong at which Mr Abbott explained to the audience why carbon dioxide is difficult to measure in the atmosphere: "It's actually pretty hard to do thus because carbon dioxide is invisible and it's weightless and you can't smell it." Having thus rendered carbon dioxide formally non-existent, Mr Abbott nevertheless maintains his intention to give this wily non-gas a hard time in the years between now and 2020, by soaking it up with extra trees and burying pellets of it in people's paddocks. But he will encourage new brown-coal power stations, apparently:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-07-21/c ... ts/2804736
redandblack

Postby straight talker » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:54 pm

why is JULIAR bringing this money grab of a thing in on one hand yet giving business that pollutes the hell out of the worlds skies credits to be able to do so?? lead and zinc smelters, power stations, coal mines to name a few?? make up her mind as she either does it fully or not at all it makes her argument for cleaner energy and life one hell of a joke.
straight talker

Postby redandblack » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:28 pm

As opposed to the policy you support which gives money directly to the polluters :D

PS:, st, this isn't Andrew Bolt's blog or 2GB, so the JULIAR bit is wasted on here.
redandblack

Postby straight talker » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:42 pm

hang on a minute rb can you tell me whats happened to one of the biggest polluters in Tasmania Nyrstar which just happens to be mr Wilkies state, how are they allowed to pollute? How is Nyrstar in Port Pirie South Australia allowed to get away with polluting the town as it has done for years (LEAD and Zinc smelter). I guess she is not fair dinkum then is she? so the polltion will keep on keeping on wont it? I guess she just wants to finish some businesses but the ones that suit her!! No job losses come on i can see her nose getting bigger.. And as for JULIAR that is what i know her as now as most Australians with half a brain do as well!!!!!!!!!!!..
straight talker

Postby redandblack » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:12 pm

I agree with you at last, st :D

Anyone with half a brain calls her JULIAR ;)
redandblack

Postby straight talker » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:42 pm

thats great you are obviously a funny man but not a very clever man if you agree with Labor and JULIAR thats for sure. Not sure if you watch the news or do any reading but have you seen whats been going on with the united nations and the carbon tax issues. Countries not doing anything about it as they now believe it could be a big load of rubbish??? Russia and several other countries that JULIAR said were taking action are in fact NOT i repeat NOT taking any action like JULIAR said they were.
straight talker

Postby redandblack » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:05 pm

Can you quote a reference where the Prime Minister said that Russia was taking action, st?
redandblack

Postby straight talker » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:55 pm

she actually said the whole world rednblack. I used Russia because i was watching a piece where they had the Russian minister for climate and environment and the journo asked him that the Australian Prime minister has said that Russia as well as Brazil,Indonesia and China were going to be part of a world wide carbon tax solution and he virtually laughed and denied it straight away. I am not real flash on the computer but i will try and find the station the piece was on and date and time so you can watch with your own eyes.
straight talker

Postby redandblack » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:00 pm

Thanks, st, so your source is a 'journo' who said she said that.

You've got me there, I think. ;)

Mate, thanks for the fun, but I'm off to watch the Tour now.

Yell for Cadell :D
redandblack

Postby straight talker » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:05 pm

yes i agree with you there!! if i was a bit better on the computer i could produce lots of things but i dont have much ability on the keyboard. :D
straight talker

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics