Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby Q. » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:50 am

Also, tax to GDP ratio is a better reflection of tax policy than your personal anecdote
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:22 am

Q. wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:Good. Maybe we can start paying down some debt
The debt they've doubled?

Goes to show it doesn't matter and we should stop feeding the paradigm that it does.

Debt will always be a runaway train if no-one gives a $hit or will sacrifice some stupid belief that it’s someone else’s problem.

Pfft; only doubled? Here in SA, the last two terms of Labor government increased nett debt by 318% or $9.8Bn despite selling off around $8Bn in assets, and it’s budgeted to go up by another $2.7Bn over the next 3 years. Our nett financial worth is -$11.5Bn over the same period. Snelling, Weatherill and Koutsantonis have done a wonderful job (of lining their own pockets whilst destroying the state’s finances)

It will be interesting to see what the Commonwealth debt will be in 4 years time when Shorten gets in.
I genuinely hope we will all be around to discuss.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:35 am

Q. wrote:Fraudenberg caught telling porkies again yesterday. Or is he just an economic lightweight?

MYEFO shows growth down, investment down, wages growth down & consumption growth down. All while Morrison govt being the second highest taxing government in Aus history.

He's thick alright :

Voters will "overlook" political scandals and the Coalition's issue with women at the next election, according to Federal Treasurer Josh Frydenberg.

It follows scandals surrounding former deputy prime minister Barnaby Joyce and allegations of bullying raised by former Liberal MP Julia Banks.

But Mr Frydenberg, the Liberal Party's deputy leader, has vowed it will not affect the Coalition's vote.

"I think the Australian people overlook those issues and really are focused on the outcomes that the Government can deliver them, in terms of the essential services that they need and require," he said.

"Obviously I'd like to be focused, and the media to be focused, on the economic message and numbers we released yesterday, but Andrew's conduct was unacceptable and he's resigned and it was the right thing to do.

"The Australian people are focused, and their government are focused on delivering them a stronger economy."

On Tuesday, Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack argued the Nationals do not have a problem with women because "both women" in the federal party room — Michelle Landry and Bridget McKenzie — are ministers.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Q. » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:15 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Q. wrote:

Goes to show it doesn't matter and we should stop feeding the paradigm that it does.

Debt will always be a runaway train if no-one gives a $hit or will sacrifice some stupid belief that it’s someone else’s problem.

A government’s debt capacity can be infinite for advanced economies in good standing, Ie. Australia - no history of instability and we issue our own currency.
Q.
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:11 pm

Q. wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:
Q. wrote:

A government’s debt capacity can be infinite for advanced economies in good standing, Ie. Australia - no history of instability and we issue our own currency.

I am aware you subscribe to MMT but I don't
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Q. » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:17 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:I am aware you subscribe to MMT but I don't

Even Keynesianism applies. Run deficit to stimulate wage growth and employment.
Q.
Coach

Postby stan » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:37 am

Q. wrote:

Yes but in terms of infrastructure, not just roads or train lines etc but also for developing markets as well. The issue was Rudd and his mate Swanny just gave away loads if cash to people to spend up to keep the economy going.

I'm pretty sure that's not what your talking about.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Q. » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:39 am

stan wrote:
Q. wrote:

Yes but in terms of infrastructure, not just roads or train lines etc but also for developing markets as well. The issue was Rudd and his mate Swanny just gave away loads if cash to people to spend up to keep the economy going.

That was during a GFC and it worked
Q.
Coach

Postby stan » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:57 am

Q. wrote:
stan wrote:
Q. wrote:

That was during a GFC and it worked

As long as we have free money and big governments that are more concerned political correctness then I guess the left will be happy. At some point the debt needs to be sorted out and paid back, and if we havent used funds to better develop ourselves and just had bogans spending it on shit, then will be facing a large issue in the future.

But don't worry the traffic lights will be gender neutral and the other cultures wont be offended when some says Merry Christmas.
stan
Coach

Postby Q. » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:16 am

stan wrote:As long as we have free money and big governments that are more concerned political correctness then I guess the left will be happy. At some point the debt needs to be sorted out and paid back, and if we havent used funds to better develop ourselves and just had bogans spending it on shit, then will be facing a large issue in the future.

But don't worry the traffic lights will be gender neutral and the other cultures wont be offended when some says Merry Christmas.

You're creating strawman arguments.

At no point does the debt need to be 'paid back' - and the Libs have demonstrated this clearly during their recent tenure.

There's no point in forecasting a budget surplus if it means cutting funding to essential services and doing nothing to address stagnant wage growth.
Q.
Coach

Postby stan » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:45 am

Q. wrote:
stan wrote:As long as we have free money and big governments that are more concerned political correctness then I guess the left will be happy. At some point the debt needs to be sorted out and paid back, and if we havent used funds to better develop ourselves and just had bogans spending it on shit, then will be facing a large issue in the future.

At no point does the debt need to be 'paid back' - and the Libs have demonstrated this clearly during their recent tenure.

There's no point in forecasting a budget surplus if it means cutting funding to essential services and doing nothing to address stagnant wage growth.
Well dang that's good. Since the debt doesn't need to be addressed and I'm not suggesting the libs are any good at this either, then heck why is our health system shit, energy system shit and why isn't the spending out of this world.

Doesn't need to be paid back. Free money from the sky.

Whoot.
stan
Coach

Postby stan » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:08 pm

Good thing Victoria have us covered today. This is where the wholesale energy price hurts. Image
stan
Coach

Postby Psyber » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:07 pm

stan wrote:
Q. wrote:

Well dang that's good. Since the debt doesn't need to be addressed and I'm not suggesting the libs are any good at this either, then heck why is our health system shit, energy system shit and why isn't the spending out of this world.

Whoot.

It is the current Greek philosophy - if you owe them enough they have to bail you out and keep supporting you.
But Gemany won't be happy when they are left holding the basket case economies up on their own eventually...
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby shoe boy » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:15 am

It is the current Greek philosophy - if you owe them enough they have to bail you out and keep supporting you.
But Gemany won't be happy when they are left holding the basket case economies up on their own eventually...[/quote]

8-}
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:20 am

shoe boy wrote:It is the current Greek philosophy - if you owe them enough they have to bail you out and keep supporting you.
But Gemany won't be happy when they are left holding the basket case economies up on their own eventually...

8-}[/quote]

Gold!

shoe boy calling Psyber silly
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Q. » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:45 am

Psyber wrote:
stan wrote:
Q. wrote:

Whoot.

Greece doesn't fit the criteria and had other underlying issues (shadow economy and massive unemployment)
Q.
Coach

Postby Psyber » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:36 pm

It seems that the very left leaning favour spending, regardless of national or state income and accumulating debt, while the Conservatives favor cutting costs and debt even at he risk of harm to the genuinely needy. Devotees of each seem to be able to find and put up economic arguments and philosopies to supprt their case, backed by self-selected statistics and studies to back their case.

It seems to be a bit like religion really...

I'm attracted to balance and the middle ground - as I see it I must admit - I've seen too much manipulation of statistics and studies to swallow any of them myself without access to the detailed paper and a chance to look closely at the method. (That's why I treat new pharmaceutical products with a certain caution, no matter how good they look on the papers the reps pass out.)
Last edited by Psyber on Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby stan » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:45 am

Psyber wrote:It seems that the very left leaning favour spending, regardless of national or state income and accumulating debt, while the Conservatives favor cutting costs and debt even at he risk of harm to the genuinely needy. Devotees of each seem to be able to find and put up economic arguments and philosopies to supprt their case, backed by self-selected statistics and studies to back their case.

I'm attracted to balance and the middle ground - as I see it I must admit - I've seen too much manipulation of statistics and studies to swallow any of them myself with access to the detailed paper and a chance to look closely at the method. (That's why I treat new pharmaceutical products with a certain caution, no matter how good they look on the papers the reps pass out.)
Well put Psyber.
stan
Coach

Postby Q. » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:26 am

Psyber wrote:It seems that the very left leaning favour spending, regardless of national or state income and accumulating debt, while the Conservatives favor cutting costs and debt even at he risk of harm to the genuinely needy. Devotees of each seem to be able to find and put up economic arguments and philosopies to supprt their case, backed by self-selected statistics and studies to back their case.

I'm attracted to balance and the middle ground - as I see it I must admit - I've seen too much manipulation of statistics and studies to swallow any of them myself without access to the detailed paper and a chance to look closely at the method. (That's why I treat new pharmaceutical products with a certain caution, no matter how good they look on the papers the reps pass out.)

Economic modelling isn't left or right leaning
Q.
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:18 pm

There's some quality on social media, isn't there?

Fraser Anning uses tax payer money to attend Neo-Nazi rally

"He's a racist, he's supporting Nazi's and he shouldn't have used taxpayer money"

"What about SHY, she used taxpayer money to see whales with her daughter and she's fat"
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10754 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics