Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

Postby Bum Crack » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:46 pm

Q. wrote:
tigerpie wrote:Relocate all cotton and rice especially to somewhere on the Ord river.
If a manufacturers pollutants are hurting the environment they have to put measures in place to minimise the risk. Very expensive exercise for say a steel mill or mine. If they don't they get shut down.

Can someone tell me why these landholders aren't shut down for ruining the environment downstream?
Why the federal minister, who presides over these landholders isn't held accountable?

I learnt to waterski on Menindie lakes as a 13 year old and couldn't believe how much water was in them....and in the middle of a desert.

Now a 13 year old could only learn how to parasail.
It disgusts me.

End of rant!
You realize that 1850 GL ended up in SA and that cotton farming in general had minimal allocation

What is Cubbie Station's annual water allocation? 450 Gigs roughly? But that's ok because the other cotton farmers don't use that much?? :roll:
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Q. » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:07 pm

Bum Crack wrote:
Q. wrote:
tigerpie wrote:Relocate all cotton and rice especially to somewhere on the Ord river.
If a manufacturers pollutants are hurting the environment they have to put measures in place to minimise the risk. Very expensive exercise for say a steel mill or mine. If they don't they get shut down.

Can someone tell me why these landholders aren't shut down for ruining the environment downstream?
Why the federal minister, who presides over these landholders isn't held accountable?

I learnt to waterski on Menindie lakes as a 13 year old and couldn't believe how much water was in them....and in the middle of a desert.

Now a 13 year old could only learn how to parasail.
It disgusts me.

End of rant!
You realize that 1850 GL ended up in SA and that cotton farming in general had minimal allocation

What is Cubbie Station's annual water allocation? 450 Gigs roughly? But that's ok because the other cotton farmers don't use that much?? :roll:

What were they allocated in 2018? What did they use in 2018?

I'm not defending Cubbie Station's existence or the sheer corruption surrounding it's existence. I'm defending cotton farmers from uninformed rants about cotton farming and a total misunderstanding of where and how the Menindee allocation works. For instance, there was another mass fish kill today at Lake Hume and straight away cotton farming got the blame again (Sarah Hanson Young) - despite being east of Albury and nowhere near any cotton growing regions.

There's a drought in NSW, yet SA will receive a 100% water allocation in 2018-19. Why don't we question that?
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby tigerpie » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:04 pm

Cotton farming is so water intensive is what I'm saying.

The darling is f**cked!
Rivers don't run dry to the extent this river has from drought.
Its being raped by greedy bastards that live for the now and monitored by the same characters.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Q. » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:44 pm

tigerpie wrote:Cotton farming is so water intensive is what I'm saying.

The darling is f**cked!
Its being raped by greedy bastards that live for the now and monitored by the same characters.

Except for that which is dryland cropped or on zero % allocation which is most of NSW.

The rivers would be dry in a drought if the flow wasn't managed. Menindee lakes suffer from high evaporation so flow is diverted into lower evaporation catchments.
Q.
Coach

Postby helicopterking » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:25 pm

Q. wrote:

The darling is f**cked!

Except for that which is dryland cropped or on zero % allocation which is most of NSW.

The rivers would be dry in a drought if the flow wasn't managed. Menindee lakes suffer from high evaporation so flow is diverted into lower evaporation catchments.

So they like you to believe. The evaporation in the Cotton Farms enormous dams would be twice that of Menindee Lakes. Data has been manipulated for 6 or so years to try back up that claim.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 667 times

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:44 am

Q. wrote:

The darling is f**cked!

25% approximately of all irrigation water usage in Australia is used growing cotton. I'd like to see what percentage cotton farmers make up of all irrigators. It's quite scary when u look at it that way.
Yep
No
Bum Crack
Coach

Postby Q. » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:42 am

helicopterking wrote:
Q. wrote:

The darling is f**cked!

So they like you to believe. The evaporation in the Cotton Farms enormous dams would be twice that of Menindee Lakes. Data has been manipulated for 6 or so years to try back up that claim.

Freshwater scientists have been manipulating data now? Okay.
Q.
Coach

Postby Q. » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:50 am

Bum Crack wrote:25% approximately of all irrigation water usage in Australia is used growing cotton. I'd like to see what percentage cotton farmers make up of all irrigators. It's quite scary when u look at it that way.

What was the figure last year given the allocation reduction? Gwydir, Namoi and Macquarie valleys all on zero % allocation.

Australian cotton is the most efficient in the world - we've doubled our water use efficiency in the last two decades. Cotton returns nearly the most money to the economy on a per megalitre basis.

Cotton uses about 8Ml/ha and is about 3Ml/ha in places like Namoi. Corn uses 10Ml/ha. Wine Grapes use 6Ml/ha. Lucerne 6Ml/ha. Almonds and citrus use 8Ml/ha. Why not the outrage at these other crops?
Q.
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:57 am

When did we start really growing cotton in Australia?

How man ha of cotton are currently being grown?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7480 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby Q. » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:10 am

Booney wrote:When did we start really growing cotton in Australia?

How man ha of cotton are currently being grown?

Commercial dryland cotton in the 1800s.

Modern era irrigated cotton in the 1960s.

I think around 600,000 ha is planted annually.
Q.
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:14 am

Whilst I'm enraged like many people at the sights we've seen from the Darling in recent days I'll bow to Q's demonstrated superior knowledge on the subject and take his word for it.

It seems "cotton" isn't necessarily the issue but a combination of factors that stem from the drought and various bodies continuing to take their full allocation when it's clear (is it?) that the regulators should be preventing some from taking their full allocation in these times and perhaps should have been restricting use some time ago.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Q. » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:15 am

For perspective, vineyards in McLaren Vale are purchasing water allocation for irrigation. Most have used their full licence entitlement.
Q.
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:17 am

Q. wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:25% approximately of all irrigation water usage in Australia is used growing cotton. I'd like to see what percentage cotton farmers make up of all irrigators. It's quite scary when u look at it that way.

What was the figure last year given the allocation reduction? Gwydir, Namoi and Macquarie valleys all on zero % allocation.

Australian cotton is the most efficient in the world - we've doubled our water use efficiency in the last two decades. Cotton returns nearly the most money to the economy on a per megalitre basis.

Cotton uses about 8Ml/ha and is about 3Ml/ha in places like Namoi. Corn uses 10Ml/ha. Wine Grapes use 6Ml/ha. Lucerne 6Ml/ha. Almonds and citrus use 8Ml/ha. Why not the outrage at these other crops?

So of approximately say 600 cotton farmers who irrigate, they use 25% of the total irrigation usage in Australia. So, of approximately 40000 irrigators, 600 of them use a quarter of total irrigation usage per year. Wow. Says it all really.
Yep
No
Bum Crack
Coach

Postby Q. » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:20 am

Bum Crack wrote:
Q. wrote:

So of approximately say 600 cotton farmers who irrigate, they use 25% of the total irrigation usage in Australia. So, of approximately 40000 irrigators, 600 of them use a quarter of total irrigation usage per year. Wow. Says it all really.

Where are you getting this 25% figure from. As I stated, Gwydir, Namoi and Macquarie valleys all on zero % allocation.
Q.
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:23 am

Booney wrote:Whilst I'm enraged like many people at the sights we've seen from the Darling in recent days I'll bow to Q's demonstrated superior knowledge on the subject and take his word for it.

It seems "cotton" isn't necessarily the issue but a combination of factors that stem from the drought and various bodies continuing to take their full allocation when it's clear (is it?) that the regulators should be preventing some from taking their full allocation in these times and perhaps should have been restricting use some time ago.

Why would you bow? His knowledge actually is not that great on the matter. Having said that, I have no doubt he's a brainy bastard but that doesn't make him an expert on the matter.
Yep
No
Bum Crack
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:25 am

Q. wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:
Q. wrote:

Where are you getting this 25% figure from. As I stated, Gwydir, Namoi and Macquarie valleys all on zero % allocation.

There are around 1100 cotton growers in total approximately. You need to study up a bit more.
Yep
No
Bum Crack
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:28 am

Bum Crack wrote:
Booney wrote:Whilst I'm enraged like many people at the sights we've seen from the Darling in recent days I'll bow to Q's demonstrated superior knowledge on the subject and take his word for it.

Why would you bow? His knowledge actually is not that great on the matter. Having said that, I have no doubt he's a brainy bastard but that doesn't make him an expert on the matter.

I know what he does for a living, it's very much aligned with this discussion.

If he was asked to discuss something about what I do in detail I'd suggest he'd be the same.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:32 am

Booney wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:

If he was asked to discuss something about what I do in detail I'd suggest he'd be the same.

I know what he does too but he ain't no expert on what is happening up there.
Yep
No
Bum Crack
Coach

Postby helicopterking » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:33 am

Q. wrote:
helicopterking wrote:
Q. wrote:

The darling is f**cked!

Freshwater scientists have been manipulating data now? Okay.

Yes. Who supports these scientist? The Government.
Constantly been reducing the lakes by .5 or 1% daily for years and claiming evaporation. I’ve been following the water issue most of my life as I was once a local,I’ve seen first hand, pumping flat out from the river into their crops, all why claiming no pumping was happening and then MDBA and Government claiming these decreases in storage on Evaporation.
The corruption is rife and some big name politicians should be in the firing
Line who have a lot to answer for.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 667 times

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:36 am

Bum Crack wrote:
Booney wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:

I know what he does too but he ain't no expert on what is happening up there.

Knows more than me, that's my point!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics