Greens MLC Tammy Franks pleads guilty.

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Greens MLC Tammy Franks pleads guilty.

Postby Sojourner » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:42 pm

From Adelaide Now,

GREENS MLC Tammy Franks has admitted failing to lodge her tax returns for a decade.

In the Adelaide Magistrates Court this morning Franks, 43, pleaded guilty to 10 counts of failing to furnish a taxation approved form.

Franks, who was elected in March last year, blamed a traumatic divorce and personal anxiety for her offences.

She said she could not bear to "unpick the thread of my life" in order to fill out the compulsory paper work.

She now faces convictions and a potential maximum fine $41,800.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6179396752
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Re: Greens MLC Tammy Franks pleads guilty.

Postby Gozu » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:45 pm

I don't know if it constiutes being forced to step down or not but she should.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby fish » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:58 pm

Very poor form from Ms. Franks...
fish
Coach

Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:21 pm

Plenty of people don't do tax returns for a variety of reasons. The tax pack is a nightmare and many punters are just too tight-arsed to hire an accountant. If it was simpler more people would file on time. I really don't blame her or think it is a crime - just a bit slack and isn't that what we Aussies are all about anyway? Leave her alone and let her do her job.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby GWW » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:18 pm

Didn't a well known former Treasurer in the Hawke Govt fail to lodge a tax return on year..
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Sojourner » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:55 pm

Gozu wrote:I don't know if it constiutes being forced to step down or not but she should.

Completely agree and think that Fisher should also leave at the same time. It is unacceptable behaviour from any politician and if it were a Liberal MLC I have no doubt the Greens would have no problem in calling for their head for the same reason.
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Postby southee » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:05 pm

Sky Pilot wrote:Plenty of people don't do tax returns for a variety of reasons. The tax pack is a nightmare and many punters are just too tight-arsed to hire an accountant. If it was simpler more people would file on time. I really don't blame her or think it is a crime - just a bit slack and isn't that what we Aussies are all about anyway? Leave her alone and let her do her job.

10 years to not do a tax return is not good enough .... No matter what the excuse !!!
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 861 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby DOC » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:25 pm

Sky Pilot wrote:Plenty of people don't do tax returns for a variety of reasons. The tax pack is a nightmare and many punters are just too tight-arsed to hire an accountant. If it was simpler more people would file on time. I really don't blame her or think it is a crime - just a bit slack and isn't that what we Aussies are all about anyway? Leave her alone and let her do her job.

Why wouldn't you blame her? Its not anyone else's fault. The system of not paying taxes and no one giving a fig about it has a very Greek ring about it.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 745 times
Been liked: 2133 times

Postby dedja » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:58 pm

Spot on ... paying tax is voluntary, just do it only if you feel like it ... :-s
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 220 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Postby Gozu » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:38 am

Sojourner wrote:
Gozu wrote:I don't know if it constiutes being forced to step down or not but she should.

Completely agree and think that Fisher should also leave at the same time. It is unacceptable behaviour from any politician and if it were a Liberal MLC I have no doubt the Greens would have no problem in calling for their head for the same reason.

Agree with that too not only should she go but Mary Jo should be on her bike too.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby fish » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:15 am

What about the Liberal dude who, according to the article in this post, used three taxpayer funded cars (with drivers) to ferry his family to swish restaurants?
fish
Coach

Has liked: 185 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby smac » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:35 am

I think it's high time all pollies were made far more accountable. Kick a few arses and weed the crap out and they might, over time, earn a tiny amount of respect from the public. At the moment they're all tarred by the useless ones.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Sojourner » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:14 pm

fish wrote:What about the Liberal dude who, according to the article in this post, used three taxpayer funded cars (with drivers) to ferry his family to swish restaurants?

Think that needs to be fully investigated also and dealt with according to their policy, whilst I see it as a clear breach of policy I am not convinced that it would be considered sackable as it would be if the cars were being used to run a business or for corporate gain or whatever. I am not 100% across the legality of what was done in the use of the cars but think its more likely to be considered reckless and stupid behaviour. I think its a far cry from going into a shop and stealing from them or for choosing not to file a tax return 10 times in a row. Both of these are clearly matters that do go before the courts and prescribed punishments are there for the outcomes of doing so.

So come on Fish, instead of making a straw man argument for a comparison, how about giving us your opinion on Tammy Franks alone and whether or not you think she should retain the job in parliament after being found guilty in front of a magistrate?
Sojourner
Veteran

Postby Psyber » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:34 pm

dedja wrote:
Spot on ... paying tax is voluntary, just do it only if you feel like it ... :-s
During the time when there was illness in my family and we were shuttling back and forth between Melbourne and Adelaide my record keeping fell apart and I didn't lodge a tax return for two years.
The ATO got on to me about it at that stage and threatened action, and took the line my circumstances did not warrant an extension.
After I asked what they had done when Paul Keating was 2 years behind lodging his they backed off a little and gave me another 6 months.

What amazes me is that the ATO let it go for so long.
I wonder why...
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Sky Pilot » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:22 pm

fish wrote:What about the Liberal dude who, according to the article in this post, used three taxpayer funded cars (with drivers) to ferry his family to swish restaurants?

Was that Shaun (Sean) Edwards from Clare? He is a bit of a non event who relies on his family connections
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby Dogwatcher » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:19 pm

This woman claims all a divorce and depression etc for not being able to file a tax return.
But had enough ability to become a prominent player in a political party and run a campaign to get elected.
Get her out.

I've had enough of people like her and Fisher claiming a mental illness such as 'depression' or 'anxiety' for their poor personal decision making (and they're not the only ones who have done it). It does no good for the cause of those who are really suffering.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Psyber » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:38 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:This woman claims all a divorce and depression etc for not being able to file a tax return.
But had enough ability to become a prominent player in a political party and run a campaign to get elected.
Get her out.

I've had enough of people like her and Fisher claiming a mental illness such as 'depression' or 'anxiety' for their poor personal decision making (and they're not the only ones who have done it). It does no good for the cause of those who are really suffering.
You would have thought one would get over any purely reactive states well enough inside 10 years to get their returns in, especially if, as you say, she could do all the rest.
Fisher, I'd reserve judgement on as what I've heard suggests she may have a chronic genetic disorder that wasn't entirely stable, and was further destabilised during a change in medication to try to get better control in the longer term.
That happens in these conditions and impulsive and/or confused behaviour can occur.
We'll find out in time.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Sojourner » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:56 pm

Psyber wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:This woman claims all a divorce and depression etc for not being able to file a tax return.
Get her out.

You would have thought one would get over any purely reactive states well enough inside 10 years to get their returns in, especially if, as you say, she could do all the rest.
Fisher, I'd reserve judgement on as what I've heard suggests she may have a chronic genetic disorder that wasn't entirely stable, and was further destabilised during a change in medication to try to get better control in the longer term.
That happens in these conditions and impulsive and/or confused behaviour can occur.
We'll find out in time.

In both cases its not about the illness or the claimed stress or whatever, its about whether or not they both have the capacity to do the job to the standard required and its no from me on both counts.

I have nothing against anyone that has panic attacks or suffers from Anxiety disorders, maybe Psyber might like to comment on this but I have been told that many Psyciatrists often feel that Part Time work and perhaps a Part Pension is the way to go. Having a job at least gives people a daily routine and if people struggle to cope then by cutting back the workload and pressure has been found to be something that gives people a good outcome and is a step taken on the path to recovery. After listening to the symptoms described and her own testimony I dont believe that she has the capacity for the 60hr week job and all the pressure and stress that goes with it and she would likely be better off on a Disability Pension or similar scenario. Franks on the other hand deliberatley decieved the Government and the People and clearly had the capacity to run for office and keep up with all the various tasks required irrespective of her personal circumstances and chose to do that with the ATO in a case that is clearly premeditated. She should be stood down as a direct result of misconduct IMO.
Sojourner
Veteran

Postby GWW » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:03 pm

Apparently it was Tammy Franks, whilst protesting, who Keating once told to "get a job".
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby tipper » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:09 pm

Sojourner wrote:
Psyber wrote:
Get her out.

We'll find out in time.

In both cases its not about the illness or the claimed stress or whatever, its about whether or not they both have the capacity to do the job to the standard required and its no from me on both counts.

I have nothing against anyone that has panic attacks or suffers from Anxiety disorders, maybe Psyber might like to comment on this but I have been told that many Psyciatrists often feel that Part Time work and perhaps a Part Pension is the way to go. Having a job at least gives people a daily routine and if people struggle to cope then by cutting back the workload and pressure has been found to be something that gives people a good outcome and is a step taken on the path to recovery. After listening to the symptoms described and her own testimony I dont believe that she has the capacity for the 60hr week job and all the pressure and stress that goes with it and she would likely be better off on a Disability Pension or similar scenario. Franks on the other hand deliberatley decieved the Government and the People and clearly had the capacity to run for office and keep up with all the various tasks required irrespective of her personal circumstances and chose to do that with the ATO in a case that is clearly premeditated. She should be stood down as a direct result of misconduct IMO.

good post Soj, my concern with both the above mentioned cases, is not wether they did it or not, but the fact that both have admitted/claimed a mental illness (not trying to suggest either is making it up by the way). if they had such issues, and they were aware of the issues, why are they "running" the country.

i am aware that neither is part of the "ruling" party, but they are still involved in the whole machine that is our parliament. if i lived in either of their eletorates i would be asking some serious questions about how well they were representing my interests while coping with their problems. and that statement goes for a representative of any party, just in case someone wants to accuse me of bias :)

question for those that are more up to speed on parliamentary goings on, should there be a requirement to disclose any illness/ailment that may negatively affect a representatives performance, before something like this happens, and if there should be, who is it to be reported to and how should it be "handled"? serious question by the way...
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Next

Board index   General Talk  Politics