Lib Senator guilty and not guilty

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Lib Senator guilty and not guilty

Postby redandblack » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:52 am

LIberal Senator Mary-Jo Fisher has been found not guilty of shoplifting, but guilty of assault.
redandblack

Re: Lib Senator guilty and not guilty

Postby Sojourner » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:05 am

Will be interesting to read the transcripts yet on the surface it appears that the court have given people the green light to steal a trolley load of groceries providing that your intention is to return to the store and pay for them later?
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby Psyber » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:13 am

Sojourner wrote:Will be interesting to read the transcripts yet on the surface it appears that the court have given people the green light to steal a trolley load of groceries providing that your intention is to return to the store and pay for them later?
Or, more likely, that she was mildly hypomanic and distracted at the time so an intent to steal was not there, but not so much so she was not aware assault was wrong at law, and that action did require her having formed an intent..
As you say the transcript will be interesting.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby OnSong » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:14 am

Wouldn't it be on the net?
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 533 times
Been liked: 551 times

Postby Psyber » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:17 am

OnSong wrote:Wouldn't it be on the net?
Eventually...
In the state equivalent of this SA one: http://www.courts.sa.gov.au/sent_remarks/index.html
Psyber
Coach

Postby OnSong » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:28 am

Psyber wrote:
OnSong wrote:Wouldn't it be on the net?
Eventually...
In the state equivalent of this SA one: http://www.courts.sa.gov.au/sent_remarks/index.html

I've read a few transcripts on there I wish I didn't, particularly in regards to child abuse. A little graphic but a reality check all the same.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 533 times
Been liked: 551 times

Postby Psyber » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:27 am

Psyber
Coach

Postby Sojourner » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:48 pm

No conviction recorded meaning that she simply gets away with the assualt and continues to be a politician...

Still I dont think the ALP will mind, its proven over and over that policial parties whose members commit crimes and then get away with it dont usually get elected or are thrown out of office as the ALP were in Perth. Will be interesting to see how Isobel Redman reacts and if she attempts to put some type of positve spin on it. I would suggest that people may decide that they dont much like the ALP but dont want to vote for someone who can get away with an assualt possibly being percieved to be because of postion and monetry access to the best legal people and so on.
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby Gozu » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:58 pm

It stinks she can get away with stealing nearly $100 of food and assualting the security guard a number of times but was expected.

Any regular Joe Blow tries that on and they'd get the book thrown at them.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby scoob » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:28 pm

Gozu wrote:It stinks she can get away with stealing nearly $100 of food and assualting the security guard a number of times but was expected.

It does stink... A complete different set of rules for all of them... misuse $100K on prostitutes and you don't get the sack - that would obviously be the case for Joe Blow ;)
scoob
Veteran

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:31 pm

Sojourner wrote:No conviction recorded meaning that she simply gets away with the assualt and continues to be a politician...

Still I dont think the ALP will mind, its proven over and over that policial parties whose members commit crimes and then get away with it dont usually get elected or are thrown out of office as the ALP were in Perth. Will be interesting to see how Isobel Redman reacts and if she attempts to put some type of positve spin on it. I would suggest that people may decide that they dont much like the ALP but dont want to vote for someone who can get away with an assualt possibly being percieved to be because of postion and monetry access to the best legal people and so on.

:lol: LOL She's a Federal senator - nothing to do with Isobel Redman

If she was a local ALP member, the 2500 Govt media minders would probably say she was taking the food to under privileged people and was assaulted by a liberal party stooge dressed up as a security guard
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 726 times
Been liked: 1080 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Gozu » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:10 pm

scoob wrote:
Gozu wrote:It stinks she can get away with stealing nearly $100 of food and assualting the security guard a number of times but was expected.

It does stink... A complete different set of rules for all of them... misuse $100K on prostitutes and you don't get the sack - that would obviously be the case for Joe Blow ;)

What illegalities did Craig Thomson commit again?
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Postby dedja » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:25 pm

What a waste of time for $90 odd ... why didn't the bitch just pay it back and save a few squillion on a court case.

The legal eagles win again.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:30 pm

guilty...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3032 times
Been liked: 2406 times

Postby best on hill » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:41 pm

i might try pinching $100 dollars worth of grocery's tomorrow at the local IGA, then go apeshit a who ever tries to stop me and see if i get the same out come :roll:

i think not, mind you i wouldnt get the same publicity as this case.
COWELL FOOTBALL CLUB est.1901
premiers 1902,04,07,22,24,26,27,28,31,32,34,37,38,39,46,50,52,53,54,55,58,59,69(cowell north),96,99,2006,07,09
oldest club on E.P.!
best on hill
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Cowell

Postby scoob » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:23 pm

Gozu wrote:
scoob wrote:

who knows? I was just commenting on how there is one rule for 'us' and one rule for 'them'.... How many joe blows receive assistance when they get caught misusing funds?
scoob
Veteran

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:29 pm

Gozu wrote:
scoob wrote:

Got caught
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 726 times
Been liked: 1080 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Psyber » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:28 am

Re the "no conviction recorded".
When a lawyer makes an application for this Courts usually take into account all the operating factors; mental state at the time, past record and behaviour, likelihood of re-offending.
It doesn't just apply to high profile people.
Psyber
Coach

Postby once_were_warriors » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:37 pm

Psyber wrote:Re the "no conviction recorded".
When a lawyer makes an application for this Courts usually take into account all the operating factors; mental state at the time, past record and behaviour, likelihood of re-offending.
It doesn't just apply to high profile people.

Don't be sensible , it ruins the topic.
If at first you don't succeed , then destroy all evidence that you tried in the first place
once_were_warriors
Under 18s

Been liked: 2 times

Postby Gozu » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:48 pm

Paul Howes on Mary Jo Fisher in September:

For years, I've known South Australian senator Mary Jo Fisher was capable of engaging in some unusual behaviour.

Indeed, several years ago I personally watched in utter amazement as the honourable Liberal party senator stuffed a plate of cheese and a collection of fruit into her handbag at an airport lounge.

I knew it was her, because I had had a conversation with her only moments before.

I've never tested it, but I believe you're allowed to take as much cheese and fruit as you want - if you really want to. Nor am I suggesting that Fisher's conduct that day in any way implies she is guilty of the charges she is now facing.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/o ... 6128839531
Gozu
Coach

Next

Board index   General Talk  Politics