Jay Weatherill refuses to cooperate with child abuse enquiry

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Jay Weatherill refuses to cooperate with child abuse enquiry

Postby Sojourner » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:28 pm

Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Re: Jay Weatherill refuses to cooperate with child abuse enq

Postby Grahaml » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:46 am

On face value it's a disappointing decision. I'm not sure whether he has legitimate concerns over whether the enquiry is an opposition witch hunt (which is reasonably likely) but you'd hope he would be very keen to be a part of the solution.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:51 am

When is the election? March I think but not sure. I'm sure I'm not the only one who believes Whetherill is a complete failure and this is just another example of this.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby GWW » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:26 am

Has a leader ever co-operated with an enquiry such as this?

Trying to remember re Olsen and Motorola, I'm guessing there was a similar situation there too.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby tipper » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:13 am

Sky Pilot wrote:When is the election? March I think but not sure. I'm sure I'm not the only one who believes Whetherill is a complete failure and this is just another example of this.

im pretty sure its march also, and the 16th rings a bell but dont quote me.

the problem the state faces, and we were only discussing this at work the other day, there is still no opposition here. who is the Lib leader?? when was the last time they were spotted? i dont even know what the bloke looks like (it is still a bloke isnt it?) last i remember hearing about the libs in sa was when Izzy got ousted. i would have thought that they would have started on something by now, capitalize on the federal win. march isnt that far off...
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby gossipgirl » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:12 am

I think the state Libs will start ramping up now that the federal election is over. One suspects they dont need to do very much to win easily in March
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby tipper » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:18 am

gossipgirl wrote:I think the state Libs will start ramping up now that the federal election is over. One suspects they dont need to do very much to win easily in March

agreed, but surely they have to let us know who they are!!
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Sky Pilot » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:02 pm

tipper wrote:
gossipgirl wrote:I think the state Libs will start ramping up now that the federal election is over. One suspects they dont need to do very much to win easily in March

The Liberal leader is Stephen Marshall. A bloody good bloke and very capable. It's been hard for him to get traction because of the Federal crap that has dominated the world since Ms Gillard announced the election back in January. I agree though, he needs an aggressive party machine to crank up now.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby RustyCage » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:12 pm

As a teacher, I find the way this issue has been dealt with by the government to be, at best, completely incompetent, and at worst, sweeping pedophilia under the carpet in which case they are as bad as the pedophiles themselves.

Despite having voted Labor in every election since 2000, I will never vote for any Labor party that has anyone involved with this issue as a member.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Psyber » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:32 pm

Sky Pilot wrote:
tipper wrote:
The Liberal leader is Stephen Marshall. A bloody good bloke and very capable. It's been hard for him to get traction because of the Federal crap that has dominated the world since Ms Gillard announced the election back in January. I agree though, he needs an aggressive party machine to crank up now.

http://www.stevenmarshall.com.au/#
S Marshall.jpg
S Marshall.jpg (17.29 KiB) Viewed 686 times
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Leaping Lindner » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:27 am

Psyber wrote:
Sky Pilot wrote:
tipper wrote:

http://www.stevenmarshall.com.au/#
S Marshall.jpg

From looking at his bio his track record with helping the disabled is very impressive. He would seem to be a small "l" liberal.
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby Punk Rooster » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:18 pm

pafc1870 wrote:As a teacher, I find the way this issue has been dealt with by the government to be, at best, completely incompetent, and at worst, sweeping pedophilia under the carpet in which case they are as bad as the pedophiles themselves.

Despite having voted Labor in every election since 2000, I will never vote for any Labor party that has anyone involved with this issue as a member.

=D>
I have long refused to vote Labor, based on the above principles, but extend that to the rest of my life.
Yes, their inaction on pedophilia, makes them complicit- hence they'll never get my vote again.

Grahaml wrote:On face value it's a disappointing decision. I'm not sure whether he has legitimate concerns over whether the enquiry is an opposition witch hunt (which is reasonably likely) but you'd hope he would be very keen to be a part of the solution.
maybe the ass-clown should think about the children first, and not his own fu*king incompetence being put on public display
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby Leaping Lindner » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:32 am

Punk Rooster wrote:
pafc1870 wrote:As a teacher, I find the way this issue has been dealt with by the government to be, at best, completely incompetent, and at worst, sweeping pedophilia under the carpet in which case they are as bad as the pedophiles themselves.

=D>
I have long refused to vote Labor, based on the above principles, but extend that to the rest of my life.
Yes, their inaction on pedophilia, makes them complicit- hence they'll never get my vote again.

Grahaml wrote:On face value it's a disappointing decision. I'm not sure whether he has legitimate concerns over whether the enquiry is an opposition witch hunt (which is reasonably likely) but you'd hope he would be very keen to be a part of the solution.
maybe the ass-clown should think about the children first, and not his own fu*king incompetence being put on public display

Um...it would seem both major parties aren't exactly blame free on this issue.....
http://kangaroocourtofaustralia.com/201 ... sex-abuse/
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Postby Psyber » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:50 am

I dislike the US based misspelling of Paedophilia..
Pes Pedis [Latin] means foot/feet - hence pedestrian - or the foot fetish that could be called "pedophilia" (a Latin/Greek hybrid word).
Paed... [Greek] means child/children - hence paedophilia. (Pure Greek.)
Psyber
Coach

Postby Punk Rooster » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:47 pm

Yeah, that is pretty ordinary LL.
I'm not particularly an Abbott fan, even less so after refreshing myself on that matter.
Just another reason the Catholic Church, I mean religion in general, should be abolished through heavy taxation, and extremely long jail sentences for these turbulent priests.

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Postby Leaping Lindner » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:09 am

Punk Rooster wrote:Yeah, that is pretty ordinary LL.
I'm not particularly an Abbott fan, even less so after refreshing myself on that matter.
Just another reason the Catholic Church, I mean religion in general, should be abolished through heavy taxation, and extremely long jail sentences for these turbulent priests.

Want a surplus?? TAX RELIGION.
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Postby Punk Rooster » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:13 am

Leaping Lindner wrote:
Punk Rooster wrote:Yeah, that is pretty ordinary LL.

Want a surplus?? TAX RELIGION.

Yes to both!

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Postby Psyber » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:24 am

I'd support applying income tax to all religious group income, but allowing deductibility for genuine charitable work expenses.

Back on topic - what is there to hide?
Psyber
Coach

Postby Sojourner » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:31 pm

Psyber wrote:I'd support applying income tax to all religious group income, but allowing deductibility for genuine charitable work expenses.

Back on topic - what is there to hide?

Was at a social gathering earlier this week and the very same question was asked. If Weatherill and co are doing it because of politics they need to make it very clear to the public, as it stands people believe that they do in fact have something to hide and people are walking away from them en masse over it in the community. This whole issue has been mishandled since day one and Weatherills actions along with Portelisi and the others that do not want to appear in front of the enquiry panel are only going to make them more ostracized from voters, he would be better off to suck it up and go appear and give them the information they need. If its good enough for the education department to sack people and not renew contracts, the ALP's own ministerial advisers that were also involved must be dealt with in the same manner.
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby Grahaml » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:51 pm

I think the only way for Weatherill, Rankine and Portolesi to save face is to alter the enquiry to make it as broad and thorough as they claim it needs to be. These people after all were running the department. They are ultimately responsible for shortcomings. It might not be anything they've done or even had the information to act on, but lessons need to be learnt and all ministers need to use this chapter to at least ensure information IS passed on in the correct way for the minister to fix the problem.

Only joking about Portolesi, she'd have to come up with a cure for cancer to save face IMHO.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Next

Board index   General Talk  Politics