New ALP leadership

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: New ALP leadership

Postby Bully » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:11 pm

So mr snake in the grass bill shorten Is the new labor leader .

LAbor won't be in government now for many many years

Good luck to them and bulldogproud ....
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby Gozu » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:06 pm

Good to see Shorten win so Labor can burn through him now and then when a viable alternative government in 2019 they will have a new leader and this guy will be ancient history. He's done enough damage to the party already and he's only been there six years.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby Psyber » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:27 pm

The result is announced: http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/19371649/bil ... or-leader/
Bill Shorten has been elected leader of the federal parliamentary Labor Party.
Mr Shorten won with 63.9 per cent of the caucus vote and 40 per cent of the members vote for an overall total of 52 per cent.
"Proud to announce that Bill Shorten has been elected the new Labor Leader!" tweeted the ALP.
Mr Shorten won 55 votes in the 86-member caucus.
Mr Albanese attracted 18,230 rank-and-file votes to Mr Shorten's 12,196.

In this system, it is clearly spelled out that 55 caucus members have more say than the 18,230 ALP members who preferred the other candidate.
I think they need another system as this is as exploitable as the original "faceless men" situation was.

Personally, I feel some tendency to trust Albanese, as I did in Kim Beasley, but I don't trust Bill Shorten any more than I did his two predecessors.
(On the other hand - as I've said before - I'm not a big Tony Abbott fan either.)

EDIT: I didn't see your post above when first posting this, Gozu, but I think your analysis is correct.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Grahaml » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:53 am

So after all that time and money spent on the new Labor leadership and we end up with the same result had they just gone with the caucus vote from the start. I have a feeling this experiment won't last as long as Abbott's PM tenure......

On the plus side, it did give us all a well deserved break from politics for a bit. It's nice to see a new government coming in and able to set about their task without an opposition jumping the gun on anything that happens. Should make it a rule that every government gets a month to get its act together before politics starts up again.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Previous

Board index   General Talk  Politics