Death Penalty

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Do you support the death penalty

Yes
24%
No, Not anywhere in the world
45%
Not in Australia, but i respect the right of other countries to enforce it.
31%

Total votes : 29

Re: Death Penalty

Postby scoob » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:48 pm

Q. wrote:
scoob wrote:
Q. wrote:Regarding cost to taxpayer, it's been demonstrated that the overall cost of being on death row exceeds the cost of that that same person being sentenced to life without parole. The substantial cost increase cannot even be justified as the deterrence aspect is completely speculative.

Here is a brilliant paper examining the situation in Colorado:

http://www.law.du.edu/documents/criminal-law-review/issues/v03-1/Cost-of-Death-Penalty.pdf

Is that only in the USA?

What is the difference say in Indonesia or Thailand?

Capital cases in Western countries involve a long and complex judicial process in an attempt to minimise the chance of murdering someone who is innocent.

Not sure what the difference in cost is for developing nations, but I get the feeling the appeals process is a pretty short one.

There is your answer - based the appeal system on the developing nations (ie minimal) - but only apply the death penalty to those who are 100% clearly guilty.
scoob
Veteran

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times

Postby Q. » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:49 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
Q. wrote:
The bigger point is that the majority of prisoners eventually leave prison. If you make prison barbaric, you dehumanise the prisoner and risk turning non-violent criminals into violent citizens when they re-enter society.

Just an interesting point re: this too

If you go right back to Australia's early years - our convict years - thousands of criminals were forced to do hard time and labor with no pay - and if you read documents from Pt Arthur, many of these convicts were pardoned and freed and most went onto live normal and sometimes very successful lives. (ok, so they didn't have telly then but..LOL)

Anyhoo, how much money would our Government save if we had convicts building the other half of the expressway. I'd rather see a convict do an honest days work than see a bloody governement worker lean on his shovel all day and get paid shitloads to do it. That and I bet a convict would feel a lot more satisfaction from that than sitting in a 4m x 2m cell for 18 hours a day

It's a very different world to that of the one that existed two centuries ago.

And we wouldn't save money sending prisoners out to work, because you end up having to pay for all the security involved in such a scenario.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Q. » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:50 pm

scoob wrote:
Q. wrote:
scoob wrote:
Q. wrote:Regarding cost to taxpayer, it's been demonstrated that the overall cost of being on death row exceeds the cost of that that same person being sentenced to life without parole. The substantial cost increase cannot even be justified as the deterrence aspect is completely speculative.

Here is a brilliant paper examining the situation in Colorado:

http://www.law.du.edu/documents/criminal-law-review/issues/v03-1/Cost-of-Death-Penalty.pdf

Is that only in the USA?

What is the difference say in Indonesia or Thailand?

Capital cases in Western countries involve a long and complex judicial process in an attempt to minimise the chance of murdering someone who is innocent.

Not sure what the difference in cost is for developing nations, but I get the feeling the appeals process is a pretty short one.

There is your answer - based the appeal system on the developing nations (ie minimal) - but only apply the death penalty to those who are 100% clearly guilty.

You'd still require an expansive appeals process because you can't draw arbitrary lines in the sand.
Q.
Coach

Postby scoob » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:52 pm

Q. wrote:
scoob wrote:So what you are saying is that there would be less murders and violent crime if they abolished the death penalty?

If jail is used as a deterrent then I can't see how you can say that the death penalty is not a deterrent.

If incarceration is a deterrent then why do people still commit crimes?

Because some people aer pretty damn dumb. If incarceration was abolished what do you think the crime rate would be, zero?

Punishment is what pretty much every judicial system in the world is based on, punishment is a deterrent - harsher the penalty bigger the deterrent. (that is why we have different sentences based on different crimes).
scoob
Veteran

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:56 pm

I realise I'm basing this off something that happened 200 years ago but hey...it worked

and it still works in some American states so I don't see why it couldn't work here.

and it wouldnt cost as much becuase security guards don't get paid as much as council workers ;)

It just appears to me that you're happy for convicted fellons to sit on their arses all day in a small little room and only see daylight for an hour a day and that is punishment enough - this just doesn't sit right with me..

THis just makes them sound like half the people on centrelink.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby Q. » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:57 pm

scoob wrote:
Q. wrote:
scoob wrote:So what you are saying is that there would be less murders and violent crime if they abolished the death penalty?

If jail is used as a deterrent then I can't see how you can say that the death penalty is not a deterrent.

If incarceration is a deterrent then why do people still commit crimes?

Because some people aer pretty damn dumb. If incarceration was abolished what do you think the crime rate would be, zero?

Punishment is what pretty much every judicial system in the world is based on, punishment is a deterrent - harsher the penalty bigger the deterrent. (that is why we have different sentences based on different crimes).

The judicial system is not based on punishment.

The most successful judicial systems around the world base theirs on rehabilitation.
Q.
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:57 pm

Q. wrote:You'd still require an expansive appeals process because you can't draw arbitrary lines in the sand.

DNA doesn't lie (unless you're a identical twin) 8)

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Postby Leaping Lindner » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:01 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
Q. wrote:You'd still require an expansive appeals process because you can't draw arbitrary lines in the sand.

DNA doesn't lie (unless you're a identical twin) 8)

True. But there is already cases recorded where DNA has been planted at scenes so even that is not fool proof.
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Been liked: 47 times

Postby Ronnie » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:02 pm

Was England a barbaric place for having capital punishment pre 1966? i don't think so.

i always think of Harry Roberts, who killed 3 policeman in London a year after capital punishment was abolished. He's still alive and, if reports are to be believed, without any remorse. I can't how how we are any better with the likes of Roberts around and what it's cost to keep him banged up.

But it should only ever be reserved for the worst of the worst cases. No prospect of it being brought back in though.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby scoob » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:03 pm

So we don't punish our criminals?

Rehab works best.

and the death penalty is no deterrent.

talking too much sense for me in here... adios
scoob
Veteran

Postby Q. » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:04 pm

Footy Chick wrote:I realise I'm basing this off something that happened 200 years ago but hey...it worked

and it still works in some American states so I don't see why it couldn't work here.

and it wouldnt cost as much becuase security guards don't get paid as much as council workers ;)

It just appears to me that you're happy for convicted fellons to sit on their arses all day in a small little room and only see daylight for an hour a day and that is punishment enough - this just doesn't sit right with me..

THis just makes them sound like half the people on centrelink.

It doesn't work in America. They have the highest rate of recidivism among developed nations.
Q.
Coach

Postby Leaping Lindner » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:05 pm

It was a long time ago, but food for thought.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_Alley_Murder
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Postby Q. » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:06 pm

scoob wrote:So we don't punish our criminals?

Rehab works best.

It's been critically analysed for years. You'd do well to read a handful of law journals discussing the subject.

The evolution of the justice system is an interesting one and countries like America are getting left behind for worse.
Q.
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:07 pm

and I'll refer back to the fact that a high percentage of that is gang related.

There's no hope for those people, and if you weren't in a gang in the first place, for the best part you are by the time you get out.

The worst we have are the few bikies they do manage to lock up.

LL - touche!

Footy Chick

Postby scoob » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:12 pm

Q. wrote:

Rehab works best.

It's been critically analysed for years. You'd do well to read a handful of law journals discussing the subject.

The evolution of the justice system is an interesting one and countries like America are getting left behind for worse.

You'd do well to be a victim of a serious crime and have the same opinion.
scoob
Veteran

Postby Q. » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:14 pm

scoob wrote:
Q. wrote:

Rehab works best.

You'd do well to be a victim of a serious crime and have the same opinion.

The judicial system isn't based on emotion.
Q.
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:15 pm

Leaping Lindner wrote:It was a long time ago, but food for thought.......

Thanks for that LL - I love stuff like this.

Footy Chick

Postby Leaping Lindner » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:18 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
Leaping Lindner wrote:It was a long time ago, but food for thought.......

Thanks for that LL - I love stuff like this.

It's a fascinating tale, albeit rather morbid. There was a display on it in the Melbourne Gaol a couple of years back including actual items from the case (such as the rug).
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:20 pm

scoob wrote:

Even if you know for certain the person is guilty it is still not cut and dry. There are sometimes numerous mitigating circumstances. Even in the US it is somewhat arbitrary which crimes they seek the death penalty and which don't. And that is where the legal battles occur
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:22 pm

Footy Chick wrote:and I'll refer back to the fact that a high percentage of that is gang related.

There's no hope for those people, and if you weren't in a gang in the first place, for the best part you are by the time you get out.

A specific comment on US gang culture - sometimes it is not as easy as just saying you shouldn't be in a gang. Go watch the wire to see what I mean
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics