NBN Hypocracy

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

NBN Hypocracy

Postby bennymacca » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:14 pm

Turnbull announced today that he was going ahead with FTTP as part of a multi technology mix, even though the cost-benefit analysis that HE HIMSELF COMMISSIONED AND REPEATEDLY CASTIGATED LABOR for not completing in the original NBN plan has not been completed.

what a disgusting hypocrite. I actually held out hopes for turnbull but this is just ridiculous

http://delimiter.com.au/2014/04/09/hypo ... -analysis/

http://www.zdnet.com/nbn-switch-without ... 000028231/
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Re: NBN Hypocracy

Postby Psyber » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:25 pm

I think FTTN could easily be converted to FTTP if the economics are proven to stack up by the review.
After all once the fibre is at the "nodes" it can be extended to "premises" as the next step, by replacing the copper from the node to the premises.

In the meantime they can be doing something rather than just waiting for the outcome of the review.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby bennymacca » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:33 am

Psyber wrote:I think FTTN could easily be converted to FTTP if the economics are proven to stack up by the review.
After all once the fibre is at the "nodes" it can be extended to "premises" as the next step, by replacing the copper from the node to the premises.

In the meantime they can be doing something rather than just waiting for the outcome of the review.

the technology for FTTP vs FTTN is quite different - FTTN uses VDSL which requires powered node cabinets, so it is a pretty significant infrastructure in and of itself. To convert these to FTTP later on would render these cabinets redundant, as the technology is quite different.

Most of the cost savings are from Liberal's deciding not to upgrade any infrastructure where HFC is already available - some 30% of the population. Given they are proposing to have it done for $29.5 billion, that would mean if we added 30% on to that figure it would come out at around $39 billion. Seems strangely like the labor figure.

So yes there will be a clear upgrade path, but it will be 15 years down the track that this will happen, so instead of putting a network that will adequately meet future needs, significant investment will be required in the future once speeds of higher 20Mb are essential, which wont happen with VDSL or HFC
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Gozu » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:43 am

"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:58 am

haha that was very good
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:10 am

tap tap, is this thing on?

very quiet on the NBN front lately.

faster, cheaper, sooner eh?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby tipper » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:49 pm

htey have revamped the NBN webiste. that counts for something doesnt it?? :oops:
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby stan » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:58 pm

More like N/A BN......
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby bennymacca » Mon May 16, 2016 12:28 pm

What has happened to NBN as an election issue? Hot button topic in 2011, both sides have dropped the ball and it has quietly disappeared? All the while the schedule slips to the right.

The original NBNCo plan had me getting NBN in September 2013. The newest one says construction to start in Feb 2016. It is almost three months later and still nothing.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Mon May 16, 2016 12:41 pm

The roll out is happening up here in the Hills... I no tech head, but our home internet went offline for about 4 days as a result. Had to get Telstra on the case to sort it out. From what I can gather SA Power networks blokes are doing the work, and cut off most homes in our area. Back up and going now... Progress... Not sure to be honest??
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon May 16, 2016 1:14 pm

I've expected to hear a bit about it in our electorate, Benny.
I know the local member's prepared for it. However, all we've heard, so far, is candidates having pot shots about his 'bad boy image'.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Bully » Tue May 17, 2016 5:14 pm

FTTN puts the DSLAM closer to the premise hence node connection. Nothing else is really changing

They are not upgrading the back end of the network...i.e the exchange. So you or people on the NBN are having the same issues almost as ADSL users are. Congestion at peak times, slow speeds. If you dont believe me, check out whirlpool.net.au and look for NBN threads. You will see , people are paying for 100mbps, and getting less then 2mbps at peak times. ISPs wont upgrade the exchange side of it until it is critical

I did 3 FTTN connections today. customers ADSL speed went from 4mbps to 23mbps. To be fair, you don't really need anything currently more then that. In the future you may, but 23mbps or 40mbps is ample download speed for most internet users.

But i believe it should be FTTP and not FTTN . stupid spending all this money to only take it to the node. Most breaks i know about or faults in the cabling are from the premise , to the pit in the street, or node.
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby tipper » Wed May 18, 2016 1:50 pm

Bully wrote:FTTN puts the DSLAM closer to the premise hence node connection. Nothing else is really changing

They are not upgrading the back end of the network...i.e the exchange. So you or people on the NBN are having the same issues almost as ADSL users are. Congestion at peak times, slow speeds. If you dont believe me, check out whirlpool.net.au and look for NBN threads. You will see , people are paying for 100mbps, and getting less then 2mbps at peak times. ISPs wont upgrade the exchange side of it until it is critical

I did 3 FTTN connections today. customers ADSL speed went from 4mbps to 23mbps. To be fair, you don't really need anything currently more then that. In the future you may, but 23mbps or 40mbps is ample download speed for most internet users.

But i believe it should be FTTP and not FTTN . stupid spending all this money to only take it to the node. Most breaks i know about or faults in the cabling are from the premise , to the pit in the street, or node.

depends on the isp and the area. i have 100mbps ftth (up from the barely 1mbps i got on copper) and i dont get congestion. well, not enough to notice anyway. the only time i have had connection issues, prompting me to check my speed, it was quite low, but turned out to be a dodgy cable between my router and pc. swapped it out and back to 96+mbps. im in para hills and with internode if it helps. do i need that speed? nope. but am i willing to pay for it for the rare occasion we have 3 lots of high def netflix running, plus software updates, plus gaming all at once, you bet your arse i am :)

i agree on the stupidity of fttn. it leaves the most fault prone part of the network in place, the copper. i know people that lose internet access when it rains, as their pit floods. fibre in the pit would be unaffected by the same flooding so virtually eliminates the ongoing maintenance costs, which havent been included in any of the libs "cheaper" claims (which are all getting blown well out anyway). we are the only country in the world running out fttn, everyone else either did it decades ago, or have moved straight past it. and those that did roll out fttn are in the middle of upgrading... the liberals are taking us backwards in time. all so they could say they are different to labor....
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby bennymacca » Wed May 18, 2016 1:53 pm

And the worst thing about it all is Turnbull would know all this.

PS shove your 96Mb up your Arse :)
bennymacca
Coach

Postby tipper » Wed May 18, 2016 2:00 pm

bennymacca wrote:And the worst thing about it all is Turnbull would know all this.

PS shove your 96Mb up your Arse :)

yep he does, after all he "virtually invented the internet" didnt he? i believe it was him that labelled the labor governments original nbn plan for fttn as "fraudband". seems he quickly forgot that lable when the libs took power and began dismantling it. all of a sudden fttn was the way the truth and the light :)

ill take some speed tests tonight when i get home Benny just for you :) just to prove im not bullshitting. mind you, i know the pain of slow net speeds. i suffered through nearly 9 years in this house with 1mbps on a good day, when it wasnt raining, and you held your tongue just right..... however, having now tasted the good life, ill never buy another house that doesnt have fibre to the premises. ill compromise on nearly everything else, as long as it isnt relying on ancient technology to connect to the modern world...
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby Bully » Wed May 18, 2016 5:15 pm

will post the 200mbps speed i was getting at a customer of mine

will find it and post
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby Gozu » Wed May 18, 2016 6:44 pm

tipper wrote:
ill take some speed tests tonight when i get home Benny just for you :) just to prove im not bullshitting. mind you, i know the pain of slow net speeds. i suffered through nearly 9 years in this house with 1mbps on a good day, when it wasnt raining, and you held your tongue just right..... however, having now tasted the good life, ill never buy another house that doesnt have fibre to the premises. ill compromise on nearly everything else, as long as it isnt relying on ancient technology to connect to the modern world...

What would be the cause of 1mbps speed old wiring in the house? How much would that cost to fix? I don't even get that about 0.6mbps!
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby Keefy » Wed May 18, 2016 10:08 pm

Gozu wrote:
tipper wrote:

What would be the cause of 1mbps speed old wiring in the house? How much would that cost to fix? I don't even get that about 0.6mbps!

Quality of wiring
Distance from the exchange
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 181 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby tipper » Wed May 18, 2016 10:36 pm

Keefy wrote:
Gozu wrote:
tipper wrote:

Quality of wiring
Distance from the exchange

This. House was brand new. Just miles away from the exchange, and the copper between here and there is older than god.
tipper
League - Top 5

Postby Wedgie » Thu May 19, 2016 8:44 am

ISPs can make a big difference too.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times