Hamilton-Smith defects to Labor

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Hamilton-Smith defects to Labor

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed May 28, 2014 12:05 pm

Pengilly was one
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed May 28, 2014 12:07 pm

[quote="Psyber"]MHS has only ever been about MHS, and an old school friend of mine on the ALP-SA strategy team (a former state Minister) has said so repeatedly.
It will be interesting to see whether he says the same when I see him for coffee next week.

Meanwhile watch for MHS eventually joining the ALP and making a pitch for Jay's job! ;)[/quote]

that is certainly on the cards!!!

but its a great tactical move by the liberals, similar to how they got inside the Union movement and white-anted that back in the day
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby stan » Wed May 28, 2014 12:18 pm

Go home SA politics, your drunk.

Sent from my GT-I9197 using Tapatalk
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed May 28, 2014 12:21 pm

This morning's press release:

A bad day for democracy

Martin Hamilton-Smith’s defection to the Weatherill Labor Government will further undermine the South Australian electorate’s trust in politicians and the electoral system.

“Mr Hamilton-Smith has cruelly deceived the people of Waite by joining the Labor Government just 10 weeks after campaigning for their defeat,” said State Liberal Leader Steven Marshall.

On March 7 Mr Hamilton- Smith stated regarding the Gillman land sale: “Once again Labor has left itself open to being ‘seen as corrupt or unethical’ by industry figures with another dubious deal.”

“Yesterday Mr Hamilton-Smith demonstrated his own ethics by joining a Labor Government that just weeks ago he labelled corrupt or unethical,” said Mr Marshall.

“Martin Hamilton-Smith’s treachery comes hot on the heels of the former President of the Upper House calling the current President of the Upper House a parasite.

“That naked display of personal animosity between the two Labor heavyweights also left many voters shaking their heads in disbelief at the appalling behaviour of politicians.

“That followed a state-wide vote that gave the State Liberals 53 per cent of the two party preferred vote – a landslide win in any other Australian electorate – but delivered Labor more seats in the parliament.

“Time and time again I’ve been asked to explain how the State Liberals could receive such a thumping endorsement from the electorate, but not win government.

“The fact the recent state campaign was marred by the Labor Party’s racist tactics in the seat in Elder only compounds the distaste many people have towards the political processes in this state.

“The addition of Mr Hamilton-Smith will do nothing to improve the woeful performance of the divided and dysfunctional Weatherill Labor Government.

“Hamilton-Smith ran on a platform of smaller government and lower taxes but has accepted a position that will added another ministerial office and $8 million to the Labor Government’s ballooning debt.

“South Australia doesn’t need a Liberal voice in the Labor Cabinet, it needs a Liberal Government.”
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed May 28, 2014 12:22 pm

Also:

TREACHERY

Martin Hamilton-Smith’s defection to a parasitic, divided and dysfunctional Labor Party is an
act of political betrayal and treachery.
“Mr Hamilton-Smith’s disgraceful decision is unrivalled in its treachery and duplicity,” said State Liberal Leader Steven Marshall.
“What makes Mr Hamilton-Smith’s treacherous decision even worse is that he has betrayed South Australians living in his electorate of Waite.”
Mr Hamilton-Smith said yesterday:
“Having made this decision I will put myself back to the people of Waite. I will explain my position and I will argue for re-election in 2018.” (Mix, 27/05/14)
“Mr Hamilton-Smith needs to explain to his constituents in Waite now – as well as the broader South Australian community – why he has turned his back on them,” said Mr Marshall. Mr Hamilton-Smith also said:
“What the people of South Australia deserve now is good and effective government. They deserve certainty.” (AdelaideNow, 27/05/14)
“How can Mr Hamilton-Smith be trusted to deliver certainty, after his constituents in Waite thought that they were getting certainty with a Liberal Member of Parliament for the next four years?” asked Mr Marshall.
“Mr Hamilton-Smith has betrayed the 456,000 South Australians who voted for the State Liberals as a first preference – 92,000 more votes than the Labor Party.
“Mr Hamilton-Smith has betrayed small businesses in South Australia for now adopting Labor policies that will hurt businesses going forward.
“Mr Hamilton-Smith might think he can call himself an independent Liberal, but he is now a member of a Labor Cabinet.
“With Mr Hamilton-Smith’s background, he should understand what loyalty means. Clearly he doesn’t have a clue about loyalty.”
In fact, in 2009 Mr Hamilton-Smith made the following comments about former Independent Minister Rory McEwen:
“Look at Rory McEwen down in Mount Gambier, he’s on the way out. I just think the experiment with independents has been less than successful.” (5AA, 13/01/09)
“Mr Hamilton-Smith’s decision to defect to a parasitic, divided and dysfunctional Labor Party is an act of political betrayal and treachery that will never be forgotten,” said Mr Marshall.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed May 28, 2014 12:24 pm

lol, they have tried to go for the jugular on this one. at least it means we hear from them.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby gossipgirl » Wed May 28, 2014 12:29 pm

Surely its part of a cunning plan by the libs to take govt. Each week there will be a new "independant lib" moving over to the labour govt and then eventually they will be able to form govt :D
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed May 28, 2014 12:32 pm

They already have formed government.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Wed May 28, 2014 12:53 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Pengilly was one

Labor is better off with MHS than Michael Pengilly. MHS is perhaps egotistical but he can at least form sensible discussion on a range of important issues. MP is just plain crazy and erratic in his opinions and actions and seems to drift towards minority issues and opinions.
"cricket is the most important activity in men's lives, the most important thread in the fabric of the cosmos"
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 34 times
Grassroots Team: Langhorne Creek

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed May 28, 2014 1:01 pm

Griffiths was the other.

Hilarious, I've been communicating with his staffer today and thought to myself, should I be cheeky and ask. I decided not to. Dammit.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed May 28, 2014 1:34 pm

Gozu wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:I actually dont care what he did

Clearly evident. Don't get too upset Jimmy it's just politics.

I never get upset when you're around Gozu. You just amuse me with your vacuous comments
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed May 28, 2014 1:37 pm

gossipgirl wrote:Surely its part of a cunning plan by the libs to take govt. Each week there will be a new "independant lib" moving over to the labour govt and then eventually they will be able to form govt :D

Very funny gg :lol:
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed May 28, 2014 1:39 pm

The man who has switched political allegiance to take a Labor Government ministry in South Australia has issued a veiled warning to Liberals attacking his decision.

Martin Hamilton-Smith once led the Liberal Party in SA but now has declared himself a Liberal independent and taken a senior role in the fourth-term Labor administration of Premier Jay Weatherill.

Many have expressed anger about his political switch, both voters in his Adelaide electorate of Waite and his now ex-colleagues in the Liberal Party.

But Mr Hamilton-Smith says he also has had voters in Waite contact him to back his decision.

If the Liberal Party want to have a discussion with me about loyalty, teamwork and treachery I may have a lot to say about it.

Martin Hamilton-Smith
Senior Liberals have condemned the former leader as a traitor and political rat but Mr Hamilton-Smith has warned them against keeping up their barrage of condemnation.

"In regards to some of the comments being made by Mr Marshall and Liberals, since I've now heard those comments let me simply send them this message - there are some very serious problems within the Liberal Party," he said.

"If the Liberal Party want to have a discussion with me about loyalty, teamwork and treachery I may have a lot to say about it."

Mr Hamilton-Smith says he has purposely refrained from attacking the Liberals since having decided he can be a more effective politician by working in the current Labor Government.

"Now I've acted as honourably as I can, I've refrained from attacking the Liberal Party because there are so many people within it who I admire and respect and I'm going to do what is right and that is to work within the Government to make this state a better place," he said.

The former leader says he does not plan to lead any charge on what is wrong in Liberal ranks.

"I'll play a straight bat, there has been a little bit of personal nastiness, that's unfortunate," he said.

"I haven't attacked anybody and I don't intend to and I think a couple of people need to have a cup of tea and lie down and move on with the future."

On ABC Radio, the now Labor Government minister again spoke of wanting to make a difference in the next four years.

Audio: Listen to AM: Martin Hamilton-Smith warns on future for Liberals (AM)
"We haven't had a Liberal conservative voice in government now for 12 years. It'll be actually 16. We've lost elections in 2002, 2006, 2010, 2014," he said.

"I have no concern with the Coalition or the broader Liberal Party, it is a local thing but if we keep going on this pathway it'll be another 16 years before there's a Liberal conservative voice in government [in South Australia]."

Police have been investigating an overnight vandalism attack on Mr Hamilton-Smith's suburban electorate office.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed May 28, 2014 1:41 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Here's the remaining Libs. Who could it be, now?

Troy Bell Mt Gambier
Vickie Chapman Bragg
Iain Evans Davenport
John Gardner Morialta
Mark Goldsworthy Kavel
Steven Griffiths Goyder
Stephan Knoll Schubert
Steven Marshall Dunstan
Duncan McFetridge Morphett
Adrian Pederick Hammond
Michael Pengilly Finniss
David Pisoni Unley
Isobel Redmond Heysen
Rachel Sanderson Adelaide
David Speirs Bright
Vincent Tarzia Hartley
Peter Treloar Flinders
Dan van Holst Pellekaan Stuart
Tim Whetstone Chaffey
Mitch Williams MacKillop
Corey Wingard Mitchell

We offered up a four of them but they offered us Gago, Wortley & Bignell in return.
They knew Koutsantonis was never going to pass the smell test
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed May 28, 2014 1:47 pm

bennymacca wrote:The man who has switched political allegiance to take a Labor Government ministry in South Australia has issued a veiled warning to Liberals attacking his decision.

Martin Hamilton-Smith once led the Liberal Party in SA but now has declared himself a Liberal independent and taken a senior role in the fourth-term Labor administration of Premier Jay Weatherill.

Many have expressed anger about his political switch, both voters in his Adelaide electorate of Waite and his now ex-colleagues in the Liberal Party.

But Mr Hamilton-Smith says he also has had voters in Waite contact him to back his decision.

If the Liberal Party want to have a discussion with me about loyalty, teamwork and treachery I may have a lot to say about it.

Martin Hamilton-Smith
Senior Liberals have condemned the former leader as a traitor and political rat but Mr Hamilton-Smith has warned them against keeping up their barrage of condemnation.

"In regards to some of the comments being made by Mr Marshall and Liberals, since I've now heard those comments let me simply send them this message - there are some very serious problems within the Liberal Party," he said.

"If the Liberal Party want to have a discussion with me about loyalty, teamwork and treachery I may have a lot to say about it."

Mr Hamilton-Smith says he has purposely refrained from attacking the Liberals since having decided he can be a more effective politician by working in the current Labor Government.

"Now I've acted as honourably as I can, I've refrained from attacking the Liberal Party because there are so many people within it who I admire and respect and I'm going to do what is right and that is to work within the Government to make this state a better place," he said.

The former leader says he does not plan to lead any charge on what is wrong in Liberal ranks.

"I'll play a straight bat, there has been a little bit of personal nastiness, that's unfortunate," he said.

"I haven't attacked anybody and I don't intend to and I think a couple of people need to have a cup of tea and lie down and move on with the future."

On ABC Radio, the now Labor Government minister again spoke of wanting to make a difference in the next four years.

Audio: Listen to AM: Martin Hamilton-Smith warns on future for Liberals (AM)
"We haven't had a Liberal conservative voice in government now for 12 years. It'll be actually 16. We've lost elections in 2002, 2006, 2010, 2014," he said.

"I have no concern with the Coalition or the broader Liberal Party, it is a local thing but if we keep going on this pathway it'll be another 16 years before there's a Liberal conservative voice in government [in South Australia]."

Police have been investigating an overnight vandalism attack on Mr Hamilton-Smith's suburban electorate office.

Hits the nail on the head........
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed May 28, 2014 1:55 pm

yeah its pretty obviously not honourable.

that would have been quitting at the last election. or standing as a labor candidate then...
bennymacca
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed May 28, 2014 2:16 pm

Did Hamilton just do a Tippett??? :)
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed May 28, 2014 2:23 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:Did Hamilton just do a Tippett??? :)

only if it means that the libs will be banned from the next two elections and their head man can be suspended for 12 months :D
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Roxy the Rat Girl » Wed May 28, 2014 2:40 pm

Love the Tisers headline - TRAITOR
"cricket is the most important activity in men's lives, the most important thread in the fabric of the cosmos"
Roxy the Rat Girl
Under 18s

Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 34 times
Grassroots Team: Langhorne Creek

Postby bennymacca » Wed May 28, 2014 2:42 pm

Roxy the Rat Girl wrote:Love the Tisers headline - TRAITOR

Murdoch gonna Murdoch
bennymacca
Coach