We need a change

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: We need a change

Postby Q. » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:04 pm

Bully wrote:
Q. wrote:Didn't support their offshore processing, and didn't complain when it didn't get thru. Just one example.

no worries. Well i guess if the opposition proposes a policy before humans land on mars then i guess we will see

Why would they, they're in opposition. FWIW, Gillard was incredibly successful in getting legislation thru the senate.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Bully » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:09 pm

Q. wrote:
Bully wrote:
Q. wrote:Didn't support their offshore processing, and didn't complain when it didn't get thru. Just one example.

no worries. Well i guess if the opposition proposes a policy before humans land on mars then i guess we will see

Why would they, they're in opposition. FWIW, Gillard was incredibly successful in getting legislation thru the senate.

would that be because she had the numbers to do it ??

The opposition yes can not make proposals but they can at least bring ideas to the table. I remember the last government that was in when the opposition had a decent idea the powers to be would say " that sounds like a good idea and we will have a look at it"

Billy boy and his hood cant even do that.................
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby Psyber » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:48 am

We seem to be missing the fact that we have rapidly escalating debt and falling commodity prices, and something needs to be done about that before the next international economic crises blows up and we fall further behind ever being able to reduce the debt.

As I've said before, I'm not happy with all the choices the Libs have made and would like to see compromises that affect the more wealthy rather than the struggling, but the main opposition seem to have taken the position that everything was fine under us and will be again, and so oppose any economy measures as to support any of them may be seen as an admission of having made errors of judgement while in power.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Q. » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:26 am

And massive levels of corporate tax evasion.

Fact is Labor suffered from a huge drop in tax receipts, and it's getting worse under the Coalition.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Psyber » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:12 am

Q. wrote:And massive levels of corporate tax evasion.

Fact is Labor suffered from a huge drop in tax receipts, and it's getting worse under the Coalition.

Quite true.
Unfortunately one of the by-products of internationalisation of trade is the ability for corporations to avoid tax.

Years ago (1980s) when debating economics with a Democrat who espoused a "social wage" to be paid for by "making big companies pay their tax" I ran up a scenario in seconds that involved manufacturing in somewhere like Indonesia, selling in the developed world, and making all your profits in your Liberian shipping line, He had no solution for that one.

Since tariffs on imports are unfashionable I proposed a theoretical solution - a "customs processing levy" on imported goods and a hefty GST on top of that - both of which would be unavoidable in those circumstances.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Previous

Board index   General Talk  Politics