submarines

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: submarines

Postby stan » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:59 pm

shoe boy wrote:why not Australian ?

Im not sure what you mean, are you talking the model of the subs?
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby stan » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:06 pm

Hopefully it pans out to be as much work as promised with the OPV's as well. SA needs this so badly its not funny.
stan
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:16 pm

stan wrote:Hopefully it pans out to be as much work as promised with the OPV's as well. SA needs this so badly its not funny.

My fingers are crossed mate.

Great news about the subs.

Just got a message from our Union, AMWU-

WE WON! The next gen of submarines will be built locally, by Aussies. Thanks for all your hard work and solidarity - we win when we stand together.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby bennymacca » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:24 pm

we have never designed a submarine and dont have the capability to do so
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Jim05 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:35 pm

bennymacca wrote:

Come on Benny, surely a brainy know all like yourself should be able to slap one together in a few months[emoji1]
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby stan » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:36 pm

Jim05 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

Come on Benny, surely a brainy know all like yourself should be able to slap one together in a few months[emoji1]

Make sure you dont forget the screen doors [emoji12]
stan
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:46 pm

Jim05 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

if i cant do it nobody can :D
bennymacca
Coach

Postby shoe boy » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:15 pm

stan wrote:

Im not sure what you mean, are you talking the model of the subs?

Are the French doing this for nothing?
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Grenville » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:27 pm

At least we know it'll go well in reverse.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Sploosh » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:31 pm

I think this is absolutely fantastic news. Of course, we'll have to wait and see exactly what the details are in terms of work and dollar values, but it's great. With so much recent gloom and doom about SA's economy this could well give us a turnaround. Even though many/most of us won't have any direct link to benefits in terms of doing an actual submarine job, the flow-ons and general positive attitude ("it's the vibe...") to all of us should be highly beneficial, hopefully even contagious in terms of creating positive economic effects amongst local business.

I had been highly critical of the Liberals faffing about instead of making a decision to back South Australia/Australia, and I'm highly suspicious that if Abbott was still in, he'd have given it to Japan and we wouldn't have seen much work/benefit at all.

But having said that, credit where it's due, Turnbull got it right in the end. I genuinely look forward to hearing some stories of people who keep their job or get a job through the years because of this.
Sploosh
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby RustyCage » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:17 pm

The one thing that concerns me is Turnbull's comment of "Nothing has been signed, and won't be until after the election". Hopefully the deal isn't dependent of the Libs getting back into power
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby heater31 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:49 pm

RustyCage wrote:The one thing that concerns me is Turnbull's comment of "Nothing has been signed, and won't be until after the election". Hopefully the deal isn't dependent of the Libs getting back into power

Labor were claiming it was all them today.....doubt they would knife themselves....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:31 pm

Sploosh wrote:I think this is absolutely fantastic news. Of course, we'll have to wait and see exactly what the details are in terms of work and dollar values, but it's great. With so much recent gloom and doom about SA's economy this could well give us a turnaround. Even though many/most of us won't have any direct link to benefits in terms of doing an actual submarine job, the flow-ons and general positive attitude ("it's the vibe...") to all of us should be highly beneficial, hopefully even contagious in terms of creating positive economic effects amongst local business.

I had been highly critical of the Liberals faffing about instead of making a decision to back South Australia/Australia, and I'm highly suspicious that if Abbott was still in, he'd have given it to Japan and we wouldn't have seen much work/benefit at all.

But having said that, credit where it's due, Turnbull got it right in the end. I genuinely look forward to hearing some stories of people who keep their job or get a job through the years because of this.

Well the vibe at work was already more upbeat talking about the good news, obviously everyone was talking about it. Looks like we will have long term work and that is very relieving and exciting.

BUT we can't trust the government just yet and that was part of the chat today, not until anything is signed, for both the frigates and the subs.

RustyCage wrote:The one thing that concerns me is Turnbull's comment of "Nothing has been signed, and won't be until after the election". Hopefully the deal isn't dependent of the Libs getting back into power

I think it will definitely be dependent on it and we'll be voting Liberal.

Tell you what this is an interesting time at ASC!
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:54 pm

heater31 wrote:

Labor were claiming it was all them today.....doubt they would knife themselves....

Shorten would dud his own mother
Labor have this word for it: ratfuk
How appropriate it is
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:02 am

Sploosh wrote:I think this is absolutely fantastic news. Of course, we'll have to wait and see exactly what the details are in terms of work and dollar values, but it's great. With so much recent gloom and doom about SA's economy this could well give us a turnaround. Even though many/most of us won't have any direct link to benefits in terms of doing an actual submarine job, the flow-ons and general positive attitude ("it's the vibe...") to all of us should be highly beneficial, hopefully even contagious in terms of creating positive economic effects amongst local business.

In terms of "real" jobs, it really only stops people becoming unemployed ( which, for TDK and his work mates is a great thing ), it doesn't really create any jobs, correct?

So while it's good news it's really just treading water.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:06 am

Booney wrote:In terms of "real" jobs, it really only stops people becoming unemployed ( which, for TDK and his work mates is a great thing ), it doesn't really create any jobs, correct?

Yeah it remains to be seen how many 'new' jobs it will 'create' as such. For now it retains the workforce here already.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:34 am

Would construction of the subs take more people to do than a full cycle docking?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby stan » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:44 am

Either way it will stop the bleeding of jobs in this state. If on top of that we can use SA steel then perhaps Arrium will be better off and the closure can be stopped. That would be good for Whyalla and SA in general.
stan
Coach

Postby Sploosh » Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:33 pm

Also chances will come up in a whole lot of unexpected ways. For instance, lots of new buildings and facilities need to be built now at Osborne, so surely a whole set of building companies/workers will get that work. I still think that the general 'vibe' this creates adds to business confidence and is great for our economy in intangible ways...
Sploosh
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:15 pm

stan wrote:Either way it will stop the bleeding of jobs in this state. If on top of that we can use SA steel then perhaps Arrium will be better off and the closure can be stopped. That would be good for Whyalla and SA in general.

Heard today Whyalla doesn't make that sort of steel but, as Sploosh says, hopefully there will be spin off civil and construction work that does
Anyway, Jays off to the south of France to sort it all out during their beautiful summer
Marty and he should eventually have 50m frequent flyer points to enjoy retirement
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics