SA Time Zones

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

SA time choice.

Poll ended at Thu May 07, 2015 5:36 pm

1. Stay as we are - 1/2 hour ahead of local zone time - Bendigo time and mid-Tasman time with daylight saving.
17%
2. Zone time - one hour behind the east and 1 hour ahead of the west.
42%
3. Move forward to an hour ahead of local zone time - Sydney and Melbourne time.
42%

Total votes : 12

SA Time Zones

Postby Psyber » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:36 pm

Which do you favour?
I'm a zone time man.
Daylight saving is a separate issue.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Re: SA Time Zones

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:20 pm

In my role, I'm dealing with Qld and Vic and it drives me BONKERS especially because Outlook stuffs it up all the time.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:54 am

1/ Leave as is
from a short half-head from
2/ Proper Central Time

Daylight.....

3/ Change to Eastern or Western Standard time, both are as absurd as each other.

While daylight savings is a separate issue, if we have it, and go to Eastern time too, for those months we will be on a time zone just off the west coast of New Zealand. Kids will be going home from school in December and February at what is effectively 1.30, workers at 3-4.

Sunrise this year around May 10 and August 10 is 7.00. We would have 3 months where sunrise is after 7.30.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby heater31 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:00 am

The West Coast residents of this state will riot on North Terrace if the time goes east. The local Member of Parliament is putting in huge efforts.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:03 am

Will admit in the above, have made the assumption that the majority of workers still work somwhere between 8 and 6.

In my work I have to sometimes, but not constantly, ring each of the 4 eastern states and it is never an issue for me. Most people in NSW, Vic and Tas can work it out too, sometimes those in Qld have trouble working it out when we are on DST and they aren't.
Last edited by FlyingHigh on Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:09 am

heater31 wrote:The West Coast residents of this state will riot on North Terrace if the time goes east. The local Member of Parliament is putting in huge efforts.

They certainly will. It will be bad enough in the central country areas, let alone what it will be like for them over there.
On the flip side, if we were to consider proper CST, we'd have to be mindful of the views of those in our eastern areas.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:01 pm

heater31 wrote:The West Coast residents of this state will riot on North Terrace if the time goes east. The local Member of Parliament is putting in huge efforts.

I have never really got why getting up in the dark is actually an issue. For farmers, they can just work later. It shouldn't actually matter for them.

There is always that argument about school kids getting on the bus when its dark.
1. im not sure why that matters
2. if it really does matter, why not move the school start time half an hour later on the west coast.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby FlyingHigh » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:16 pm

bennymacca wrote:

I have never really got why getting up in the dark is actually an issue. For farmers, they can just work later. It shouldn't actually matter for them.

There is always that argument about school kids getting on the bus when its dark.
2. if it really does matter, why not move the school start time half an hour later on the west coast.

True, farmers could, or why couldn't city people just get to work earlier if it is such an issue for them?

We have, what at least I perceive to be, the relative luxury of not having the large differences in daylight hours that some northern hemisphere countries do, why would we want to get up in the dark if we don't have to? How about those that like to exercise before work (I split mine between before and after)?

There are potential safety issues in having little kids catch school buses in half-light. Also, catching a school bus is not just a matter of going down the end of your driveway or street. My niece had to be driven roughly 7-8km's to catch the bus when she was 4, and now with changed routes, probably 3-4km's.
If the west coast changed their school hours, how will this affect non-farm workers? Will they change their times too? And wouldn't that then re-create communication problems within our state? Why introduce something that has it's own problems to try to fix a problem we created by thinking we needed to change something that wasn't a problem to begin with?
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:20 pm

fair points.

our division at work has sites in adelaide, perth, melbourne and sydney and it doesnt really seem to bother us.

in terms of the concept of daylight savings though, i think it is great. having daylight hours after work instead of before work is just that much more useful. whether or not we need to further change our time zone, I'm pretty ambivalent on it really. not fussed either way
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby RoosterMan » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:22 pm

The other alternative is if the West Coast aligns itself with Perth time and the rest of the state either stays Central Time or goes East.

From what I can remember Broken Hill on the NSW side of the border aligns itself with our timezone.
RoosterMan
Rookie

Has liked: 82 times
Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury West

Postby heater31 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:33 pm

RoosterMan wrote:The other alternative is if the West Coast aligns itself with Perth time and the rest of the state either stays Central Time or goes East.

From what I can remember Broken Hill on the NSW side of the border aligns itself with our timezone.

Yes, Broken Hill use SA time. Only because they are actually closer to Adelaide than Sydney. Makes sense for them as their major supplies come from here.

Wouldn't work for the Far West as Adelaide would still be the closest capital city.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:00 pm

bennymacca wrote:fair points.

our division at work has sites in adelaide, perth, melbourne and sydney and it doesnt really seem to bother us.

in terms of the concept of daylight savings though, i think it is great. having daylight hours after work instead of before work is just that much more useful. whether or not we need to further change our time zone, I'm pretty ambivalent on it really. not fussed either way

For some reason I'm the opposite, this issue gets me worked up more than perhaps it should.

Agree about daylight savings, it seems most people are happy or at least attuned to it and it works well in the summer months, but not in October or March, when it could be argued that it wastes daylight.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby Psyber » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:52 pm

bennymacca wrote:

I gather Cows are not all that cooperative about being herded into the milking sheds in the pre-dawn, and get skittish, and that chooks are uncooperative too that early. But the pick up trucks for milk and eggs tend to come by the clock all over the state regardless of local light conditions because the business people running the receiving depots don't get that animals are not easy to reschedule.

I don't know about sheep, but I bred goats and they are not exactly cooperative in doing things by the clock instead of by the state of the daylight either.

To play Devil's Advocate for the west coast farmers one could suggest they may think the "city slickers" could just start work earlier if they deal with the eastern states early in the day rather than alter everyone else's clock for their convenience, and to save then having to calculate the time difference...
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Board index   General Talk  Politics