Brexit

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Brexit

Postby whufc » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:16 pm

heater31 wrote:
whufc wrote:I'm off to dinner at the in-laws tonight and it should provide some interesting conversation

Their whole family were born and lived in Crumlin, Northern Ireland but are pro Republic of Ireland

Odd and confusing I know

Well that balances the Republic one I know from Dublin who is pro English ;)

Hehehehe it is an odd mix

I tell you what I never really understood the full scope of passion, hatred and hurt etc until I met the new partner and her family

It's definately not a subject I question their opinion about

Which is interesting as my dad and his family are from East london
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Psyber » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:54 pm

While in the Loire Valley in April I discussed the "Brexit" possibility with one of the owners of the Chateau we stayed at. He is a French citizen and has worked in the finance industry in both France and the UK.

His view was that after the hysteria settled down the UK would be overall better off out, but he was concerned that it may trigger the total collapse of the EU, because other countries with sound economies are also concerned about ongoing bail outs for the less well performing economies, and concerned that there is pressure to take in more countries that will need similar support like Turkey and Romania.

My own view is that much of that pressure is coming from the US, which is keen to encourage the expansion of the EU as a larger neo-NATO between them and Russia, regardless of what it costs the more sound economies in the EU to go along with that aim - which makes sense of why Obama bothered to make a statement that the UK should not leave.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:04 pm

heater31 wrote:
whufc wrote:I'm off to dinner at the in-laws tonight and it should provide some interesting conversation

Their whole family were born and lived in Crumlin, Northern Ireland but are pro Republic of Ireland

Odd and confusing I know

I'm pro Guinness
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby shoe boy » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:01 am

[quote="whufc"]I'm off to dinner at the in-laws tonight and it should provide some interesting conversation

Odd and confusing I know[/quote]

Not at all , many Republicans in the North. "chucky ar lar"
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:19 pm

Not easy to dig a Labor politician's snout out of the gravy trough
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06 ... -jeremy-c/
Say what you like about Cameron but, at least, he had the decency to resign

How about these two battlers for the poor people
No way they would have voted to get out
Attachments
Kinnock.jpg
Kinnock.jpg (29.74 KiB) Viewed 4005 times
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby heater31 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:26 pm

johntheclaret wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Odd and confusing I know

I'm pro Guinness

Nothing Wrong with that........I discovered a pub that is non Irish Themed down here that has it on tap! now just to educate the bar staff on how to pour it and I'm in business.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:40 pm

Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:55 pm

#Bregret
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:32 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:#Bregret

I heard Weatherill saying that's why he wants a "Citizen's Jury" so people don't argue and call each other names

More obviously for two reasons:
1. He can confect the outcome
2. He doesn't have to resign for any reason
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:52 am

I've had a few, but then again too few to mention

Or as Edith Piaf would say.......

More people regret England going out of the Euro's than Britain going out of The EU
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby am Bays » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:34 am

johntheclaret wrote:

I've had a few, but then again too few to mention

Or as Edith Piaf would say.......

More people regret England going out of the Euro's than Britain going out of The EU

What a waste of Euros....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:38 am

The really interesting reaction is how many idiot people voted to leave but no idiot people voted to remain
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:29 pm

heater31 wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Odd and confusing I know

I'm pro Guinness

Nothing Wrong with that........I discovered a pub that is non Irish Themed down here that has it on tap! now just to educate the bar staff on how to pour it and I'm in business.....

Sussex has it at $8 an imperial pint, cheapest going around.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:04 am

Now there's a ******* berk running the other side of the Atlantic too.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:51 am

BoJo's controversially shut down the UK parliament, presumably in a cynical move to minimise debate on the impending Brexit farce.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:15 pm

Magellan wrote:BoJo's controversially shut down the UK parliament, presumably in a cynical move to minimise debate on the impending Brexit farce.

He's definitely shaking things up but it needs it. More of the same will get them nowhere. The Donald loves it!

With Brexit gambit, Boris Johnson reveals a ruthless side
Benjamin Mueller

Aug 29, 2019 — 1.41pm

London | Boris Johnson hurtled to the top of British politics with an air of charm and dishevelled befuddlement. He slipped into Latin and Greek, changed sides when it suited his ambitions and oozed a mischievous bravado, as when he put his foot on a table at the French president's palace last week.

But Johnson's decision on Wednesday to cut short a session of Parliament revealed another side: the ruthless tactician who took office as prime minister this summer. With Brexit hanging in the balance, Johnson marshalled all the power of Downing Street to cut out the legs of a wobbly opposition, risking a constitutional crisis to get what he has promised.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
Would be very hard for Jeremy Corbyn, the leader of Britain’s Labour Party, to seek a no-confidence vote against New Prime Minister Boris Johnson, especially in light of the fact that Boris is exactly what the U.K. has been looking for, & will prove to be “a great one!” Love U.K.

Suddenly the man affectionately known as "BoJo" was being rebranded by some opponents a "tin-pot dictator." And President Donald Trump, known for his own norm-smashing manoeuvres, applauded Johnson, calling him on Twitter "exactly what the UK has been looking for".

Johnson's opponents argue that his policies could result in a disastrous no-deal Brexit with the potential to tear apart the United Kingdom, cripple British agriculture and some manufacturing sectors and throw the economy into a recession, while producing shortages of food and medicines.

But those warnings have been filed away under "Project Fear" by Johnson and his supporters.

And with his boldest move yet as prime minister, Johnson showed that he would be as pugnacious in Downing Street as critics said his predecessor, Theresa May, was timid — and a radically different politician than he was as London's mayor.

"It's much more thought-through, more organised, in many ways more aggressive than the Boris Johnson people thought they knew," said Tony Travers, a professor of government at the London School of Economics.

With his "rabbit-out-of-a-hat decision" to suspend Parliament, Johnson knocked his opponents back on their feet and "conveyed the sense of a government that's in control", Travers said.

By limiting the time available to Parliament to block a no-deal Brexit, Johnson sought to undermine an opposition strategy announced on Tuesday, analysts said.

After weeks of arguing about who should take charge should they defeat Johnson, opposition lawmakers had changed their tune. They said they would shelve the idea of trying to throw Johnson out of office and instead proceed more deliberately, focusing on passing legislation that would stop a no-deal Brexit.

For a fractured opposition, it was a painfully considered strategy to band together and confront Johnson on their own schedule. It was also an admission that they did not yet have the numbers to replace Johnson with a caretaker prime minister, in large part because the opposition is divided over whether Jeremy Corbyn, the left-wing, eurosceptic Labour Party leader, is a suitable replacement.

But Johnson had other ideas.

By cutting short the session of Parliament, he blew a hole in the opposition's plan to take matters slowly and avert a decision about whether to try unseating him. In effect, analysts said, he called their bluff, giving anti-Brexit lawmakers only a matter of days to decide whether they felt strongly enough about stopping Brexit to kick him out of office.

They are "throwing down the gauntlet to Corbyn and others to call a confidence vote next week," said Matthew Goodwin, a professor of politics at the University of Kent. "Johnson and his team are ruthlessly exploiting the divisions on the Remain side."

Where May paid heed to conventions and shrunk from major showdowns, Johnson fulfilled the hopes of hard-line Brexit backers by inching Britain closer to a constitutional crisis.

But the road ahead is filled with risks.

Under British parliamentary rules, Johnson is likely to need Corbyn's support if the prime minister wishes to call an early general election — which is no sure thing as the Labour leader's poll numbers sag. And Johnson is still dealing with an insurgent threat from the right in the form of the Brexit Party, which could siphon away crucial votes.

And while Johnson sharply curtailed Parliament's time to debate Brexit, he has not stopped the body from sitting altogether. Lawmakers will return from summer recess next week, and analysts believe there is still time for opposition leaders to stick to their plan and pass a law blocking a no-deal Brexit.

Johnson may also have galvanised members of his own Conservative Party who oppose a no-deal Brexit but were so far unprepared to try to throw out Johnson's government. One Conservative lawmaker, Dominic Grieve, said the move made a no-confidence vote more likely, calling Johnson's actions "an attempt to govern without Parliament".

The New York Times
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:08 pm

All going swimmingly here, nothing to see, please move along.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:33 pm

Anyone else spot the uncanny resemblance between toffy pro-Brexiteer and Conservative MP Jacob Rees-Mogg and the blue haired lawyer from the Simpsons?

"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:17 pm

Really scary how The Simpsons and South Park nail it
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:27 pm

Unrelated perhaps I know, but the hotel I’m staying at in Colombo Sri Lanka is full of delegates from the European Union acting as observers in the upcoming elections here...
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics