Feminism

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Feminism

Postby The Bedge » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:25 am

bennymacca wrote:Well the 12 months off surreptitiously turned into nearly 18 months somehow :)

Stop using big words lol.. :lol:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3995 times

Postby HH3 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:26 am

bennymacca wrote:
HH3 wrote:Which assertion?

I don't understand what you think should happen? Do you want females paid more per hour for part time work or not working at all, so they earn the same as a male that works 40+ hours a week? Or vise versa. Males that don't work as many hours to be paid more per hour than females that work full time?

I really don't understand what you think the goal should be?

I want to understand though.

If you go onto a job panel at work you need to do bias training and quite often names are removed from applications. Things like that can make a difference.

I don't believe in paying women more, I'm just pointing out that there is still a bias in some areas where, even after controlling for life circumstances, there is a pay difference.

Ie if you only took into account women who did not want to have kids there is still a difference. Maybe they get passed up for opportunities due to the perception they might leave and have kids.

I don't have the answers I'm just challenging your assertion that it's not still a problem in some areas

Do you have evidence for your assertion Bennymacca?

What I'm saying is the "facts and figures" presented to "prove" the "gender pay gap" are bullshit, and don't mean anything.

How many asians get paid more than lebanese? Where's the "race pay gap" figures? Because I'm sure if you added every asian persons wage up and took away every Lebanese persons wage, there would be a "gap".

Of course there's bias in workplaces, but it's not systematic, it's personal opinions, so good luck ever doing anything about it. I've been unsuccessful at interviews, and I can think of at least three or four where my lack of cleavage probably played a part. I can't change that (cheaply anyway).

Until you have cases where workplaces have policies that openly discriminate due to gender, or females in identical roles in the same company getting paid less than males, there's nothing anyone will ever be able to do to change it.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:32 am

Do people with big dicks get paid more than people with little dicks??

I knew I wasted my time studying..........
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2512 times

Postby HH3 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:45 am

amber_fluid wrote:Do people with big dicks get paid more than people with little dicks??

I knew I wasted my time studying..........

Dunno, but they should pay more. My jaw gets really sore sometimes.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:54 am

bennymacca wrote:Maybe they get passed up for opportunities due to the perception they might leave and have kids.

I cannot contribute too much to this debate, but I know for a fact that this happens.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby HH3 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:05 pm

valleys07 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Maybe they get passed up for opportunities due to the perception they might leave and have kids.

I cannot contribute too much to this debate, but I know for a fact that this happens.

Probably, but those sorts of biases aren't exclusive to women.

I know a certain workplace that only would hire women because they didn't want guys working in the retail part. Even though most of the clientele are males. (not a strip joint). A 30 year old male who had experience and was willing to take the award rate was turned down in favour of a 20 year old woman at a higher pay rate.

The law's already in place to combat these bias's, but only if they're reported and can be proven.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:06 pm

HH3 wrote:Probably, but those sorts of biases aren't exclusive to women.

Nor are all the recruiters male.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby MW » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:15 pm

valleys07 wrote:

My wife got told by her boss during an argument about how the business was going, words to the effect "it's your fault for having so many kids"
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2590 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby HH3 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:19 pm

MW wrote:
valleys07 wrote:

My wife got told by her boss during an argument about how the business was going, words to the effect "it's your fault for having so many kids"

If she chose to, she could have had got him in trouble for discrimination, because of the current laws in place that people seem to ignore exist to allow themselves to argue with people.

https://www.ag.gov.au/RightsAndProtecti ... n-Law.aspx

(its not Wikipedia, but it's almost as good)
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby MW » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:22 pm

I should say it's her ex-boss and she has the conversation on tape (secretly recorded it based on previous conversations)
Not worth the hassle, she's in a much better place now
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2590 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby HH3 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:22 pm

Here's a tidbit that demonstrates the rights that females have had since 1984 that seem to be forgotten.

From the SA Equal Opportunity Commission

Example (indirect discrimination)

A factory announced that workers with ten continuous years service would get a pay rise. More women than men had interrupted their service to have children, so fewer women got the rise. Female workers could claim they were indirectly discriminated against by the factory.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:23 pm

HH3 wrote:
MW wrote:
valleys07 wrote:

If she chose to, she could have had got him in trouble for discrimination, because of the current laws in place that people seem to ignore exist to allow themselves to argue with people.

https://www.ag.gov.au/RightsAndProtecti ... n-Law.aspx

(its not Wikipedia, but it's almost as good)

Not true if its not in Wikipedia :^o
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby bennymacca » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:37 pm

wikipedia is more accurate than traditional encyclopedias

not saying you should trust everything on there, far from it, but on the whole it is an excellent resource and first port of call.

If you have studied or work in a technical area (such as engineering) you will use it almost daily
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby HH3 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:45 pm

Considering anyone can change Wikipedia pages to suit their own opinion, I never use it to research any emotionally charged topics.

And I'm 90% sure it's not allowed to be used as a reference in any form of tertiary study.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby HH3 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:49 pm

This is from Wikipedia itself, so I dont know if it can be trusted ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Academic_use

Wikipedia is not considered a credible source. Wikipedia is increasingly used by people in the academic community, from freshman students to professors, as an easily accessible tertiary source for information about anything and everything. However, citation of Wikipedia in research papers may be considered unacceptable, because Wikipedia is not considered a credible or authoritative source.[1][2][3]
This is especially true considering anyone can edit the information given at any time, and although most errors are immediately fixed, some errors maintain unnoticed. However, it can be noted that Wikipedia's Good Articles and Featured Articles are some degree more advanced, professional, and generally more credible than an article not labeled Good or Featured. It is because these articles are reviewed heavily and edited many, many times, passing various "tests" before being confirmed Good or Featured, that they can be used for some deeper research than usual. It is Wikipedia's Featured Articles that are especially trustworthy in contrast to normal or even good articles, as they have to pass even more rigorous "tests" to become featured, as they are to be "the best of Wikipedia", "a model for other articles", and thus, a much more reliable source than average articles.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:55 pm

HH3 wrote:Considering anyone can change Wikipedia pages to suit their own opinion, I never use it to research any emotionally charged topics.

And I'm 90% sure it's not allowed to be used as a reference in any form of tertiary study.

of course you dont use it as a credible source, and you have to read anything critically.

but its a great starting point - usually has a list of references so you can find the authors of the journals that are referenced etc
bennymacca
Coach

Postby HH3 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:58 pm

bennymacca wrote:
HH3 wrote:Considering anyone can change Wikipedia pages to suit their own opinion, I never use it to research any emotionally charged topics.

of course you dont use it as a credible source, and you have to read anything critically.

but its a great starting point - usually has a list of references so you can find the authors of the journals that are referenced etc

I do use it a fair bit, but mostly general knowledge stuff like obscure baseball players biographies and murderers I see on documentary's.

Anything that's a serious topic, I try to find official credible sources, like the ones I've posted.

At least this has allowed me to talk shit for two days.

I appreciate you benny :YMPEACE: :-BD
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:01 pm

talking shit is what im good at.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:05 pm

I'm pretty sure I'm 100% correct that one of you is female. 8)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby HH3 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:30 pm

Booney wrote:I'm pretty sure I'm 100% correct that one of you is female. 8)

I can be whatever you want for the right price ;)
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics