Albanese Labor Govt Watch

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Albanese Labor Govt Watch

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:35 pm

Brodlach wrote:So they don’t have minds of their own and not stretch themselves to the point of breakage?

You don’t need the biggest and best right from the start, makes you appreciate what you have instead of expecting to just have it.

You've completely missed my point.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:35 pm

Booney wrote:
Brodlach wrote:
Booney wrote:
Brodlach wrote:The fact younger people want the biggest and best house and car now doesn’t help them either.

This one makes me chuckle. :lol:

Why?

Younger people would rather get into more debt than start small and increase over time like we all did.

Nowadays it’s I need that $45k Ute not the second hand $8k Ute.

Why?

Boomers had a tough childhood, their parents were War time survivors who had nothing but made ends meet. Boomers lived in the good times through the 70's and 80's and provided their children with more than they ever had and good on them, probably use the term "spoilt" them.

Those Gen x / Millenials that "Want the biggest and best" have probably had the fortune of their boomer parents providing that to them through their lives.

They didn't make themselves that way.

Not in our house. We were brought up the same way our parents lived.
Dont spend more than you earn / dont borrow more than you can afford. Buy insurance to protect yourself
My parents gave us a good life and paid for good schooling because they saw it is an investment
I paid for my first car and house and went without to afford them.
Credit to buy anything was a personal loan. Back to the same bank manager for more rodgering

The explosion of easy credit and BNPL as fueled the "want the biggest and best" not Mum and Dad who probably still live with the same rules (which the kids will eventually benefit from).

I know a couple of kids who have asked by an advancement on their inheritance because they shouldn't have to work harder or go without. That pi$$es me off no end. My two wouldn't dare ask that but they dont have to because they have the same rules as us.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Brodlach » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:42 pm

Exactly the same Jimmy, the reason I have very little debt to my name.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Brodlach » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:44 pm

Booney wrote:
Brodlach wrote:So they don’t have minds of their own and not stretch themselves to the point of breakage?

You don’t need the biggest and best right from the start, makes you appreciate what you have instead of expecting to just have it.

You've completely missed my point.

Clearly I have
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:59 pm

I dont usually argue this point with anyone
People can do what they want with their life and money
But dont ****ing whinge to me about what you can't afford or how we had it so much easier
No-one is entitled to anything in this world and we all had / have to adjust to our environment
But owning a house, and especially owning a house in the suburb / city you want to live in, is not a right.

I am just glad I didn't have to grow up with some of the other BS going around these days
We, certainly, had it much easier in our day!
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby RB » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:04 pm

Brodlach wrote:Younger people would rather get into more debt than start small and increase over time like we all did.

Nowadays it’s I need that $45k Ute not the second hand $8k Ute.

Bit of a sweeping statement there.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Booney » Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:28 am

Libs lose in NSW, the mainland is 100% red!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Dinglinga75 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:51 am

Dom Perrottet excellent speech and good to see both ran their campaign's with respect to each other
Dinglinga75
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Jim05 » Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:36 pm

Dinglinga75 wrote:Dom Perrottet excellent speech and good to see both ran their campaign's with respect to each other
Good to see the back of Dom Pair O’tits
Libs had well and truly ran their race in NSW so was not surprised by the result.
They are easily the most corrupt state in politics and both sides are as bad as each other in that regard so it’s probably only a matter of time u til the next scandal
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Brodlach » Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:22 pm

Dinglinga75 wrote:Dom Perrottet excellent speech and good to see both ran their campaign's with respect to each other

I think Malinauskas and Marshall set a new level that all current politicians will try to match which is how it should be
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:23 pm

Mark Latham still as classy as ever I see
Jim05
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:47 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Good to see the back of Dom Pair O’tits
Libs had well and truly ran their race in NSW so was not surprised by the result.
They are easily the most corrupt state in politics and both sides are as bad as each other in that regard so it’s probably only a matter of time u til the next scandal

I think Victoria is in front by miles
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Dinglinga75 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:10 am

Jim05 wrote:Mark Latham still as classy as ever I see

You know its bad when Pauline makes a statement about the comment
Dinglinga75
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby am Bays » Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:21 pm

Some practical lived experience for Lynda: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-15/woman-fatally-stabbed-outside-doubletree-by-hilton/102227138

This is at the equivalent of Marion/Westlakes/Burnside shops: https://fb.watch/jXecUe7OGe/?mibextid=qC1gEa

This bigger than just Alice

As a country it needs more than a “bandaid” of bail laws alcohol restrictions and basic cards
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:33 pm

am Bays wrote:Some practical lived experience for Lynda: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-15/woman-fatally-stabbed-outside-doubletree-by-hilton/102227138

This is at the equivalent of Marion/Westlakes/Burnside shops: https://fb.watch/jXecUe7OGe/?mibextid=qC1gEa

This bigger than just Alice

As a country it needs more than a “bandaid” of bail laws alcohol restrictions and basic cards

But Lynda is milking it
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed May 10, 2023 5:57 pm

ive not had a chance to read up, but the Budget, good or bad?
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed May 10, 2023 6:54 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:ive not had a chance to read up, but the Budget, good or bad?
Looks fine from my brief look at it.
Like any budget I’m sure more details will come out but no real complaints from me
Jim05
Coach

Postby Trader » Wed May 10, 2023 8:56 pm

Bit of a nothing budget for mine.
It’s not bad, but it’s not good either.

Nice to be back in a surplus (the first surplus ever delivered by federal labor) but it isn’t a structural surplus; that is to say it’s not as a result of good management or cost saving measures, but rather a fortunate result with higher than expected commodity prices leading to excessive revenue from our resources (as a result of the Ukraine war, amongst other things). Then naturally the budget is still forecast to return to deficit next year.

It’s a political surplus more than anything. In two ways really. Firstly the windfall from the excessive tax on resources wasn’t “banked” by labor, but rather they took the opportunity to spend all but the last little bit of that. Over 85% of the win was spent on additional items. Secondly, the surplus doesn’t reduce the government debt at all. Yes $4b sounds like a lot, but when the debt it $1700b, the interest owed on that debt is roughly $70b, hence debt will still rise by roughly $66b this year.

Still, political or not, a surplus is still nice and certainly better than the alternative.

The commentary around tackling inflation through $500 energy rebates lacks honesty. Sure, they’ll help with growing cost of living pressures for those that are eligible, however they don’t tackle inflation, and if anything, are inflationary themselves, albeit somewhat minor in comparison to the size of the budget. Similar with the $40 increase to the various welfare payments. These are inflationary, and also work against the 11 interest rate rises the central bank have rolled out over the last year. Typically the economy performs better when government policy and monetary policy work together, rather than in competition. Once again, not huge numbers, but still interesting to note nonetheless.

The biggest takeaway for mine was the stark lack of infrastructure related projects. These project are required to ease congestion on roads, rail and at ports. As we’ve seen over the last 2 years, transportation costs have gone through the roof and transportation is a portion of just about every product we consume in life. Infrastructure projects are important to developed economies and communities, not just saving time through reduced congestion as populations continue to grow, but also making things safer too. Labor typically don’t spend big on infrastructure, so I’m not shocked, but it was noticeable nonetheless.

No surprise the greens are complaining as usual. Doesn’t matter what you give them, they always want more. They are like a three year old, no point trying to explain logic to them.
I think the environment has done fairly well in this budget, they should be thankful.

The good news is they haven’t gone after the stage three tax cuts, that will see lower tax for anyone earning more than $45,000, but then again, they don’t come into play until July 2024, so there’s still another budget this time next year for them to change their mind and go back on that election promise, fingers crossed they don’t as I think we all know the middle class who pay tax can do with some assistance with the cost of living like those on welfare all got this year.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Psyber » Sat May 13, 2023 12:29 pm

Psyber wrote:
Booney wrote:ANZ now forecasts 50 basis point rate hikes in August, September, October and November.
Taking the RBA cash rate to 3.35% by Christmas.

I bought my first house in late 1968 when home loan rates were 7.5%
By 1978 they were 14%, and in 1983 my property loan rate was higher than the 12% I was paying for leasing a Porsche.

I should have mentioned that it was even harder earlier in the 20th century. My father was 51 years old when he and my mother could finally buy their first house in 1956 after 28 years renting.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon May 29, 2023 4:59 pm

western australian dictator Macgowan has resigned
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics