bye bye Mr Rudd

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: bye bye Mr Rudd

Postby Hondo » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:42 pm

Keating's first go was 44 - 66. Refer article on Keating's strategies here:

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/a-twochal ... 1tjrn.html

As quoted in the article, Richardson was of the view that anything less than 40 votes first time around and Keating would have given up. Keating found another 12 votes by the time of his successful bid for the leadership.

Another 12 votes for Rudd and he is still short what Keating was at his first attempt.

He needed to be a lot closer to convince him and his advisers that the inevitable damage to the party from a second go would be worth it. Rudd would need at least 3 goes at it at this rate.

I think Rudd is gone and I think he knows it.
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby dedja » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:57 pm

Add in the fact that the polls overwhelming favoured Rudd and this didn't sway the vast major of the caucus means that he has far more enemies than friends.

Maybe the majority also thought that rewarding a serial destabiliser wasn't on either ...
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:52 pm

Keating had more f***ing rat cunning as well

Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Psyber » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:45 am

Rudd may be dead, but I expect he'll have at least one more shot, even if it is when the ALP is in opposition again.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Bully » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:23 pm

here we go again, seeing in newspapers and news reports that Rudd is looking to make another move for the PM.

prob just rumours, but thats what it was last time
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby southee » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:14 pm

Bully wrote:here we go again, seeing in newspapers and news reports that Rudd is looking to make another move for the PM.

Like I have said in previous posts after he was defeated ..... Watch this space ... He'll be back!!! :(
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby Sojourner » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:33 pm

Think Kevins people might work the phones but still wont get the numbers. Think there is a more likely probability that another candidate might well step in, Ed Husic's name seems to be mentioned in different circles and he also voted against Gillard last time around.
Steamranger, South Australia's best ever Tourist Attraction, Treat Yourself, Let your Money Buy you Happiness!!!
Sojourner
Veteran

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby Bully » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:58 pm

southee wrote:
Bully wrote:here we go again, seeing in newspapers and news reports that Rudd is looking to make another move for the PM.

Like I have said in previous posts after he was defeated ..... Watch this space ... He'll be back!!! :(

good, the voters voted him in, we didnt vote julia in. Yes she won an election, but considering how far in front K rudd was in his regin and for Abbott to come back to a near hung parliament....

come on Rudd!!!
Bully
Coach

Postby GWW » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:43 pm

The fact that the ALP preferred Gillard to Rudd - given the relative public approval of the 2 candidates - shows how poor a PM Rudd actually was.

Yes, the public voted him in. But his fellow Labor MP's saw him at work as PM - which the general public didn't. I'm not defending the ALP, but if he was PM again, we'd probably be in an even bigger mess than we are now anyway.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:05 pm

i dont think K Rudd would let these issues that are anchoring the labor party have gone on un-touched for so long.

Gillard only got THomson membership suspended and Slipper to stay out longer to try and benefit her own ratings.

I can see the Libs being in charge by the end of the year. If not they will romp in the next election and be in power for 2-3 terms at a minimum.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3581 times

Postby Bully » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:14 pm

GWW wrote:The fact that the ALP preferred Gillard to Rudd - given the relative public approval of the 2 candidates - shows how poor a PM Rudd actually was.

Yes, the public voted him in. But his fellow Labor MP's saw him at work as PM - which the general public didn't. I'm not defending the ALP, but if he was PM again, we'd probably be in an even bigger mess than we are now anyway.

everybody has their personal views, but mine is Rudd would do better
Bully
Coach

Postby southee » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:33 pm

Bully wrote:
GWW wrote:The fact that the ALP preferred Gillard to Rudd - given the relative public approval of the 2 candidates - shows how poor a PM Rudd actually was.

everybody has their personal views, but mine is Rudd would do better

I think humpty dumpty could do better ATM :oops:
southee
Assistant Coach

Postby gossipgirl » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:20 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:i dont think K Rudd would let these issues that are anchoring the labor party have gone on un-touched for so long.

Gillard only got THomson membership suspended and Slipper to stay out longer to try and benefit her own ratings.

I can see the Libs being in charge by the end of the year. If not they will romp in the next election and be in power for 2-3 terms at a minimum.

god help us all if that happens :shock:
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Grahaml » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:14 pm

Rudd might be more popular now, but if he became PM again, Labor's credibility would take a massive blow. The Liberals could sell the idea that you might vote in a PM but Labor would change them at any moment for several elections to come. I also think that we would remember soon enough why Rudd was unpopular to start with while the independants might change sides and force an immediate election, which would see Labor decimated.

At this point, Labor's focus should be on (apart from governing of course) the following elections because the next one is lost. However, they could consign themselves to a decade or more in opposition if they let the Liberals sell the idea of Labor replacing PMs on a whim effectively and if they get hammered too badly at this election. Getting 40% primary vote is out of the question. Getting 35% is possible if they have a good 12 months leading into the election. From there they could present themselves as a viable alternative for the circa 2016 election.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:11 pm

Rudd would be best served to do a Keating, sit in the back benches and STFU.
He might just have a chance then
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby mick » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:40 pm

It would seem its time to bring this one back as Rudd will be history on Saturday
mick
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time

bye bye Mr Rudd

Postby dedja » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:54 pm

With any luck he loses his seat as well and disappears into the abyss
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:50 pm

dedja wrote:With any luck he loses his seat as well and disappears into the abyss

The polls seem to go up and down in Griffith. I think most people including many Labor voters would like to see him lose his seat. If that happened and Labor won the election we would have Albo as our PM and that is bloody scary
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby am Bays » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:16 pm

dedja wrote:With any luck he loses his seat as well and disappears into the abyss

He'll win his seat but will quit within a year when relevance deprevation syndrome kicks in.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby southee » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:47 pm

am Bays wrote:

He'll win his seat but will quit within a year when relevance deprevation syndrome kicks in.

Well we do not have to wait that long anymore and I'm glad.
southee
Assistant Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics