Mid Murray League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Mid Murray League

Postby On The Pine » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:13 pm

Max is back! Should lift the spirits at Morgan! Will he get a call up for the association game?
On The Pine
Rookie

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby BOM » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:23 am

On The Pine wrote:Max is back! Should lift the spirits at Morgan! Will he get a call up for the association game?

didnt seem to help in his 1st game back - 50 goal flogging!!
BOM
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Blanchetown-Swan Reach

Postby On The Pine » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:57 pm

Yeah noticed that. Probably had a few of their better players out injured though I hear. Saw they have a recruit from Callington, poor robbing the poor!
On The Pine
Rookie

Postby On The Pine » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:51 pm

Check out today's Advertiser, Morgan has a story in the sports pages.
On The Pine
Rookie

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:27 pm

You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:36 pm

Morgan crisis meeting - August 4, 7pm at sporting complex.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby On The Pine » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:33 pm

Heard they were going to pull the pin after last sat but reprieve for now. Players put their hand up to keep going!
On The Pine
Rookie

Postby PitBull » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:48 pm

BOM wrote:
On The Pine wrote:Heard Robby are gonna leave next year. What's that going to mean for the other clubs????

you will find there are talks for bsr and sedan to move also

If Robby end up going to the Adelaide Plains any thoughts on how competitive they would be. I would of thought a merge with the strugling Eudunda would be a smarter option alternating home games. They seem to have the more options than any other club in the MMFL.
PitBull
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby TimmiesChin » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:19 am

I'm not sure how strong the Adelaide plains league are, but in terms of numbers alone they are in real trouble. Regularly struggle to field a full B-grade side and junior sides are always playing short. You can get away with that in the Mid-Murray, but afaik the Adelaide plains is a significantly stronger league - as such they are going to need a good dozen plus A grade quality players into the club to have any chance (and this is just to get the numbers required to compete on even terms). They do have half a dozen or so kids playing A's and some of these are OK without being stars - so this is a positive.

While they probably dont have a lot of choice if the Mid Murray goes south, I suspect its either going to cost them more money than they can afford, or they are going to hit the wall very quickly. Unfortunately they seem to have a couple old guys in charge there who dont fathom what its going to take.

As a guide - Robby up and running at full strength - wouldn't get close to a top 4 B grade side from the Barossa.
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby The Duke » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:34 am

PitBull wrote:
BOM wrote:
On The Pine wrote:Heard Robby are gonna leave next year. What's that going to mean for the other clubs????

If Robby end up going to the Adelaide Plains any thoughts on how competitive they would be. I would of thought a merge with the strugling Eudunda would be a smarter option alternating home games. They seem to have the more options than any other club in the MMFL.

Possibly the best thing I have heard you say for a long time Pitbull and Timmie is also on the right track.
With all due respect the MMFL would be the lightest weight league in country SA, which leaves them with limited alternatives.
If they go to the APFL the will get flogged.
If they go to the NEFL they will get smashed.
The only thing that Robby can do to remain in existence is amalgamate with the struggling Roosters in the NEFL.
Are you prepared to pay the price? WILL YOU PAY THE PRICE?
The Duke
Under 18s

Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:21 pm

Robby and the Roosters hate each other don't they?

MMFA still hopeful of another few struggling sides (Eudunda even?), joining to form a new competition.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby On The Pine » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:45 pm

The Duke wrote:
PitBull wrote:
BOM wrote:

Possibly the best thing I have heard you say for a long time Pitbull and Timmie is also on the right track.
With all due respect the MMFL would be the lightest weight league in country SA, which leaves them with limited alternatives.
If they go to the APFL the will get flogged.
If they go to the NEFL they will get smashed.
The only thing that Robby can do to remain in existence is amalgamate with the struggling Roosters in the NEFL.

Probably a bit unfair to say the MMFL are the lightweights, be very interesting to see how clubs would go v an Indy club. Ramco have done well without a heap of recruits after being last years wooden spooner. Don't read too much into the association game, lots of n/a's which is hard to cover with only 4 clubs in the comp to chose from.

Robby has lots of ex players in stronger leagues they could attract back, Sedan and BSR have the Barossa to source from close by. It's just a matter of having a more interesting comp to attract players.

Haven't seen the Indy news article yet but while an Indy option might appeal to Morgan if they keep going, the other clubs won't want to lose junior netball and footy as well as c grade netty and b grade footy.

The idea that has support and is in motion is a Hills/Murray comp, even from Robby now. Not done and dusted but talks are fruitful. If this idea falls over, then a merger with Indy, probably I would think minus Robby would be the only option as some footy is better than no footy at all.
On The Pine
Rookie

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:09 pm

I think calling the MMFA a lightweight is a fair comment.
I'd say the Independent and MMFA are probably among the weakest country comps in SA - which makes them lightweight.
Indys got thumped by KI, got beaten by MM in a game in which there were plenty of n/a's, then lost a game by a goal to MM at Ramco (let's not count last two years). I can't think of too many other comps in which either league would be able to compete against.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby On The Pine » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:59 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:I think calling the MMFA a lightweight is a fair comment.
I'd say the Independent and MMFA are probably among the weakest country comps in SA - which makes them lightweight.
Indys got thumped by KI, got beaten by MM in a game in which there were plenty of n/a's, then lost a game by a goal to MM at Ramco (let's not count last two years). I can't think of too many other comps in which either league would be able to compete against.

No doubt the MMFL isn't the strongest around, and never has been, but the comment of lightest from The Duke, with a Browns Well affiliation, had to prompt a defence.

And yes, there is a strong dislike between Eudunda and Robby. But Eudunda continues on, despite struggling in the footy, because that league fields 6 senior netball teams, which doesn't fit well into the 3 of the MM. They have been invited to join the MMFL many times.
On The Pine
Rookie

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:40 am

OTP - I'm guessing The Duke actually has nothing to do with Brown's Well. As he has never been sighted in the Riverland thread. He's posted a dummy club.
Unless he confirms otherwise....
Knowing Brown's Well people reasonably well, they'd never be so cocky or outspoken with their comments - given the situation they've been in in recent years. We'll leave those to Cobby or Paringa people ;) :shock:
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:14 am

Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby PitBull » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:13 pm

Reading some of the Dukes posts on other threads he would of been at many clubs sounds like abit of a Desert Head.
PitBull
Rookie

Postby Baron Greenback » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:16 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:OTP - I'm guessing The Duke actually has nothing to do with Brown's Well. As he has never been sighted in the Riverland thread. He's posted a dummy club.
Unless he confirms otherwise....
Knowing Brown's Well people reasonably well, they'd never be so cocky or outspoken with their comments - given the situation they've been in in recent years. We'll leave those to Cobby or Paringa people ;) :shock:

BA! Humbug! :lol:
Ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and eggs for tea
Baron Greenback
Coach

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Paringa

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:29 pm

:lol: :lol:
I've seen your FB status in the past week Chuck ;)
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Baron Greenback » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:02 pm

Yeah but I'm unreal!
Ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and eggs for tea
Baron Greenback
Coach

Has liked: 39 times