Relegation in the HFL

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Relegation in the HFL

Postby Jailbird » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:31 pm

Afterthesiren wrote:I'm curious... can you change a bi-law half way through a season? Does the constitution allow this? If so, why bother having rules and regs at all if they can be changed at the drop of a hat.

I have heard that the bi-laws may be changed to make it compulsory for every club to field an u13 team in central division. This will include TV for next season too. They would have to make sure that they could field the team or they will be denied their place in central. Would like to see what happens if this becomes the new laws.
Jailbird
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby Afterthesiren » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:41 pm

rock wrote:Certainly agree with you there ATS after watching the SFL's Div 2 implode after some very poor decisions. Our competition hasn't been the same since. Surely Country Div clubs would want a club to replace Torrens Valley. As much as they'll enjoy seeing the back of TV I think they'll still want and need to maintain a healthy standard of competition rather than weaken it.

Correct rock... Have heard today that a couple of Central Clubs will support an 11 team competition. However their reasons don't seem to be for the best of the League, it seems they feel sorry for the club who has to exit. I too feel for the outgoing club but rules are rules and shouldn't be changed to suit one club alone. Over the years we've seen Nairne, Echunga, Ironbank and Birdwood go between the divisions without complaint. Why is this an issue now? Further info suggests there are certain members on the HFL board that are pushing the issue and perhaps influencing some clubs to make a decision without knowing the full facts and the ramifications it will have on both divisions. Some of these members can be intimidating to say the least. I'd still like to know if a bi-law can be changed mid season... doesn't seem right to me.
Afterthesiren
Under 18s

Been liked: 5 times

Postby Afterthesiren » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:49 pm

Jailbird wrote:
Afterthesiren wrote:I'm curious... can you change a bi-law half way through a season? Does the constitution allow this? If so, why bother having rules and regs at all if they can be changed at the drop of a hat.

I have heard that the bi-laws may be changed to make it compulsory for every club to field an u13 team in central division. This will include TV for next season too. They would have to make sure that they could field the team or they will be denied their place in central. Would like to see what happens if this becomes the new laws.

You make a good point Jailbird but TV seem to have a very strong U/13 side so I don't think this will keep them out. I can see there are many Central Clubs who don't want TV in their comp but rules are rules. Let them come up and if they're good enough they'll stay up. At the same time we currently have a couple of clubs who clearly aren't good enough and to some people's disappointment its not Bridgewater or Ironbank. This alone has stepped on a few toes at certain levels and all of a sudden we have to change laws etc. If this is the case the next club who faces relegation has every right to push for a 12 team competition. Its ridiculous and selfish of a club who isn't performing at the highest level the Hills League has to offer.
Afterthesiren
Under 18s

Postby Joe Blow » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:57 pm

I believe a bi law can be changed anytime as long as it is voted in by the clubs. I have heard that we will hear more from the hfl about the situation in the next few weeks. They have officially been very quiet (apart from owen with his rants in the final siren) and this is because tv have 5 more days to pull out of going to central. If they started going around trying to change bi laws before this deadline they could've ended up with egg on their face if tv decided to pull the plug.
Joe Blow
Mini-League

Postby Afterthesiren » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:14 pm

Joe Blow wrote:I believe a bi law can be changed anytime as long as it is voted in by the clubs. I have heard that we will hear more from the hfl about the situation in the next few weeks. They have officially been very quiet (apart from owen with his rants in the final siren) and this is because tv have 5 more days to pull out of going to central. If they started going around trying to change bi laws before this deadline they could've ended up with egg on their face if tv decided to pull the plug.

I see your point JB but it seems bi-laws etc are being changed to make it harder for TV to come to Central. Is this fair? I'm not a TV fan myself but if they have done all the right things (all be it from GH pocket) we can't then throw road blocks in place to stop them. This didn't seem to be an issue when Ironbank was sitting 0-6 and facing relegation.
Afterthesiren
Under 18s

Postby Banker » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:28 pm

What are you on about ATS? TV stuffed up last year by not applying till late last season. Nobody has put a road block in their way, just the rule book....
Banker
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby Afterthesiren » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:36 pm

Banker wrote:What are you on about ATS? TV stuffed up last year by not applying till late last season. Nobody has put a road block in their way, just the rule book....

Thats what I mean Banker... these aren't the rules. The current rules allow TV to enter Central Div. Its Birdwood and Lobethal (and some other Central Clubs) that are pushing for the rules to be changed (mid season) to possibly prevent them entering. Either way I don't think it will stop them anyway hence plan B - To create an 11 team competition in Central Div. Certainly not ideal at all.
Afterthesiren
Under 18s

Postby shake'n'bake » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:09 pm

Afterthesiren wrote:
woody wrote:One issue that doesn't get alot of mention on here is the lack of a good junior comp in country div.
Some clubs do not have teams at all levels. This makes for unattractive mornings for a lot of parents. Having observed and coached junior footy at both Central and Country levels for quite a few years. I have found that Central is far cleaner and skillfull comp with much less emphasis on the Biff than Country. I feel for any juniors and their parents forced to play in a lesser comp.

Surely an argument for staying in Central Division isn't going to hinge on the junior competition. I have also coached junior football in both divisions and can say there is not that much difference in skill level. Its not until you look at the top sides in U/17s that you notice the difference and by this time the boys are getting ready or are already playing A/B grade footy. You need to come up with something better than this.

having personally played as a junior in both divisions i believe there is a massive difference at junior level between the two... i remember playing a mid season trial against uraidla in u/14's we were 2nd or 3rd in div 2 and they were 2nd or 3rd bottom in div 1 and they comprehensively beat us by around 8 goals!

also if central becomes an 11 team comp and you still play everyone twice it creates several problems...
1. start in february and grand final day would be the same as the AFL grand final
2. teams could have up to three weeks without a game if their bye falls around interleague or country carnival weekends
3. country div will almost diminish depending on how long callington and sedan/cambrai survive

If you wonder why Owen and his chargers are clambering to change the rules you must only go as far as walking into the HFL headquarters and see the only premiership photo on the wall... A massive photo of the lobethal Uraidla grand final which the tigers won!
Fence Sitter
shake'n'bake
Rookie

Been liked: 3 times

Postby Gervais » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:28 pm

I'll be very surpised if the HFL Clubs agree to a 11 team Central Comp. There are too many negatives, most of which have already been mentioned in this thread.

Without being too dramatic, if a team is to be relegated based on the formula as per the current by-laws, it will all be decided in the round 13 when Birdwood and Lobethal meet.

All games on the day are vital - jnr colts, snr colts, B and A grade. If Lobethal get the majority of the points on this day, it's all over for Birdwood. Sad but true.
Gervais
Under 16s

Postby Q. » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:29 pm

Gervais wrote:All games on the day are vital - jnr colts, snr colts, B and A grade. If Lobethal get the majority of the points on this day, it's all over for Birdwood. Sad but true.

No pressure, kids.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Gervais » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:36 pm

Quichey wrote:
Gervais wrote:All games on the day are vital - jnr colts, snr colts, B and A grade. If Lobethal get the majority of the points on this day, it's all over for Birdwood. Sad but true.

No pressure, kids.

Exactly right, and that's the dissapointing thing with the way the promotion/relegation system has been developed.

Colts footballers shouldn't be playing for the survival of their club in Central. It will bring a whole new dimension on these games that, techinally, nobody should care all that much about.
Gervais
Under 16s

Postby the big fella » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:07 pm

word is:

11 team in central div

Blackwood to field 2nd team in Country div
the big fella
Under 18s

Postby false » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:25 pm

the big fella wrote:word is:

11 team in central div

Geez I'd hate to be doing the blackwood to Sedan drive...

how'd the colts and B's from the Lobey games go on the weekend? i know ours did well which will help our plight if this doesn't come true...
false
Under 16s

Grassroots Team: Birdwood

Postby Gervais » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:28 pm

11 team in central div

Word is irrelevant.

Can only be an 11 team Central Comp if the Clubs vote for it, and I don't think they will (nor should they).
Gervais
Under 16s

Postby Amateur Footy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:39 pm

Gervais wrote:

11 team in central div

Word is irrelevant.

Can only be an 11 team Central Comp if the Clubs vote for it, and I don't think they will (nor should they).

Agreed. The vote is all that matters and I refuse to believe Blackwood would make the big effort to go back to Country until I see it happen.

Everyone also needs to stop assuming Owen is behind the 11 team comp. He is against it (note his comments in Budget). Loby are the ones looking for support on this.
Amateur Footy
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby MONTE CRISTO » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:41 pm

I have said previously I wouldn't care how many teams are in Central Division but the HFL have an obligation to both Divisions and so would say 2011 will be goodbye to either Birdwood or Lobethal. Sad but unfortunately its likely to happen. Heard on the weekend one of those clubs was considering moving to the Barossa League if they had to go down. Not sure how true that is!
MONTE CRISTO
Rookie

Been liked: 4 times

Postby Afterthesiren » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:34 pm

MONTE CRISTO wrote:I have said previously I wouldn't care how many teams are in Central Division but the HFL have an obligation to both Divisions and so would say 2011 will be goodbye to either Birdwood or Lobethal. Sad but unfortunately its likely to happen. Heard on the weekend one of those clubs was considering moving to the Barossa League if they had to go down. Not sure how true that is!

Thats Loby threatening to move to the Barossa League... scare tactics is all it is, Barossa won't have them. Loby doing everything they can to stay in Central. I think they'll be alright though... only just, I believe they have the wood on Birdwood as their colts are stronger.
Central Div can't go over 10 teams, its a logistical nightmare. However some clubs will support it as they are mates with people involved with the push. Even if you stay with 18 rounds where everyone doesn't play each other there's too many discrepancies which would affect clubs come finals and more importantly financially.
Afterthesiren
Under 18s

Postby Joe Blow » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:31 pm

Does anyone know when the next hfl meeting is? I have heard there is going to be a vote on the u13 being included in the relegation points. I dont think a vote on an 11 team comp is even on the agenda.
Joe Blow
Mini-League

Postby Afterthesiren » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:01 pm

Joe Blow wrote:Does anyone know when the next hfl meeting is? I have heard there is going to be a vote on the u13 being included in the relegation points. I dont think a vote on an 11 team comp is even on the agenda.

It certainly is on the agenda JB. One of the big pushers for it is on the HFL board. I believe he is closely affliated with Lobethal. For this reason I think some clubs will be asking he steps aside when the issue is being discussed.
11 team comp is crazy. While we enjoy a weekend off for the Country Championships the SFL have to play a round of football to make up for byes and to ensure everyone has played the same amount of games.
Afterthesiren
Under 18s

Postby Tanka » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:51 am

I believe the meeting will be on July 19th and both points will be on the agenda. I think most people in the HFL are worried that TV as a whole club don't want to come up but because of their A Grade something has to be done. Their numbers in the junior grades are already stretched and in the next year or two they may not be able to fill 15s 17s etc. Does this mean that they are only in Central for 1 or 2 years or what?? I think that is the main problem that arises
Tanka
Under 16s

Has liked: 30 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy