GSFL - Points System

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

GSFL - Points System

Postby jingles » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:59 pm

Who's in favour for the points system to come in next year?

I reckon it has the potential to stuff up what is a very good country footy competition. The idea behind it (I think) is to level up the clubs, and to stop stronger clubs paying big bucks for gun players.

The problem is, is that there is alot of player movement these days and I don't think that is such a bad thing. But if a clubs like The Saints, Myponga, Encounter Bay, Victor and Yank have a situation where they have a mass of players leave, it will take away the capability to replace them to be competitive.

It's not going to effect clubs with strong juniors (The Creeks, Strath, The Vale & Willunga) as much, but what happens if a mate wants to come and play Great Southern footy for no money, just to have a kick in a good comp, the club he wants to go to might not have room for him to play... What a load of SHIT!!!!

What do you think?
jingles

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: GSFL - Points System

Postby Backliner » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:42 am

Agree. If you lose 6 players from your A grade that would be 6 points, 1 point each regardless of talent / history.
To replace them 6 with A grade players they would likely attract more than 6 points.

Teams like Willunga / Morphett'Vale (SFL) have strong juniors and plenty of locals already there, add a couple of ring ins for icing on the cake and no problem, well under points tier as currently registered players are 1 point.

If a team which is in the bottom recruits decent players that reduces their points allowance, there isn't much difference in points between the top team and bottom teams anyway.

Back to back premierships will be easier I feel, although it is already by the looks.
Backliner
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby BJ Ernest » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:56 am

All points are valid except they arent as easy to come by as it seems. It takes a lot of hard work by everyone on and off the field to win premierships. Training hard since early January, plenty of good volunteers (trainers, committee etc) and some sides have been lucky enough to win a few.

The points system will just bring the top sides back to the pack rather than the bottom sides catching up by smart recruiting and developing the talented kids they have. If it comes in i can guarantee the stronger clubs wont be in full support of it, i know Willunga players are not as we want a good game of footy every week, noone enjoys flogging a side!
BJ Ernest
League - Best 21

Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Willunga

Postby LuvsFooty » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:51 am

The system is supposed to help clubs like us at the Saints, but I agree with BJ. Its hard work that wins premierships, not help from league officials to 'even' up the comp. We are out recruiting, working on current players and setting up the pre season for next year already, we are having a crack (like most of the bottom clubs would be) without any point system. Let the natural cycle take place and reward the hard working, professional clubs!!!!!!
You can love football, but it wont always love you back!
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Been liked: 17 times

Postby jingles » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:48 am

I just hope that the clubs that haven't been as successful as some over the past few years don't panic and get brain washed that the points system will be their saving grace.

I fully encourage clubs, both in GSFL & SFL to recruit and make both comps as strong as they can be. Keeping in mind, to do thier upmost to develop the kids and not waste money and time on bunnies that hang around for one, maybe two years, and aren't in it for the benefit of their club (not talking of any club or player in particular). The points bullshit will stop clubs from doing that.

I really hope the points system is discussed and explained in full before bringing it into the GSFL, the last thing we need is sides winning by 50 goals and 27 kicked by one bloke.... what a joke!

Carn North...
jingles

Postby LuvsFooty » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:05 am

I think the clubs down the bottom are against it jingles. I know the Saints will be voting against it. With the new system we can probably only get 4 'new' players. If anything it will only help the clubs who already have strong lists.
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Postby FootyMad » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:42 am

LF Willunga are apparently against it aswell so if two more clubs vote against it should be curtains.
The point system has merits however the league is not in poor state so why fix something that is not broken, I think that the bottom sides hold their own and as LF mentioned the natural cycle will take place and add to this a few recruits and the premiereships will be shared.
Willunga winning four in a row is due to hard work and them knowing how to win the important ones, instead of trying to pull them and the creeks back shouldnt we all be trying to catch up to make an even stronger league?
FootyMad
League Bench Warmer

Postby LuvsFooty » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:49 pm

Exactly FM. We are putting in some hard yards over summer, trying to emulate the top clubs rather than sit back and wait for charity. Bring on season 08
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Postby FootyMad » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:11 am

Update on the Points System!

The final decision will be made at the GSFL AGM (November).
Representatives from each club will have the ability to vote YES or NO, as there are 10 clubs; in the event of a tie (5v5) the association will cast the final vote. In order to not have the points system enter the GSFL in 2008 6 clubs need to vote against it during the original call for votes or atleast 5 clubs with the GSFL also voting against it.
If enough club delegates ask to have 'Special Extraodinary Meeting' prior to this to vote purely on the point system the GSFL would need to consider it. The opinion of some is that all clubs have now had 6 months to consider the system and raise concerns and beside this forum and a few rumblings from those in each club no one has to date gone to the GSFL with any major concerns.
To this I ask are our club delegates correctly informing everyone about the potential changes and correctly seeking feedback? It is a hard task but with major issues like this everyone needs to be in the know from the onset.
In short the points system will be place for 2008, if you disagree talk with your mates, other clubs etc and voice your opinions with your club delegate urgently, discuss things that have been mentioned on the forum, things that you are thinking and scenario's/

I must admit clubs that are in a good shape currently (A group of Senior Colts being promoted in 08, good numbers, quality recruits in 07 who are staying onboard, no retirements) will benefit from the points system immediately. Others will not see the beneift for few seasons as their senior colts get promoted and they build on recruits by maintaining them for 2-3 year periods. There may even be the case where a club never recovers from this due to lack of juniors and junior development (sometimes through no fault of the club) and no money to recruit or maintain players and ofcourse retirements meaning the club in fact could end up playing a dismal brand of footy.
From speaking with some delegates I get the opinion they are looking at the system with rose coloured glasses and quickly dismissing the what if's (such as the things I have mentioned), every delegate needs to consider the negatives and discuss them properly as in the end this does not just affect individual clubs but the entire league.

If the system is to come in I strongly feel it has to be phased in over 2-3 seasons, have concessions that clubs can apply for, then each year remove one of these concessions until we have the points system fully in place. This will allow for correct management and development at every club.

Thats me on my soap box and its only 9am!!
FootyMad
League Bench Warmer

Postby BJ Ernest » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:46 am

Well said FM.

If the system comes in bottom clubs are going to be a long way from the top clubs, prob further than this year if the top clubs go and recruit aswell. Just leave it as it is and let the natural cycle take place. Its not a lop sided comp, theres never a blow out of 25-30 goals consistently and the 5th placed side does not beat the bottom side by 20 goals, thats a good strong comp and we all enjoy it as players just how it is.
BJ Ernest
League - Best 21

Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Willunga

Postby jingles » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:59 pm

I'm not 100% sure FM, but I was under the impression that out of the 14 votes to be cast (2 from each club, and then the GSFL "fossils") there only has to be 6 votes against to stop the points system stuffing up the comp.

What the league should be doing, is go back into the records and see if the points system was in place for the last few years what clubs would be hurting?

I'll use Encounter Bay just for one example, if the points crap had been in action for the past few years, the Bays would have really struggled to fill a senior side, not to mention an A's & B's side.

I'm not havin' a dig at the Bays, I'm just sayin' that it would stop a side from trying to rebuild.

In the same instance, Willunga would have been under the points limit and have won premierships..... I can not see the point of it.
jingles

Postby FootyMad » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:24 am

No your on the money there Jingles, the Bays would've been stuffed.
One thing the association may not have taken into account is that paid footballers dont last that long at country clubs period, the travel takes its toll along with life priority changes and no amount of money can change that. There is not enough players to fill two teams from each club in and around victor and we all lose juniors when they complete playing U/17's.

If the GSFL desparately wants a point system they should in fact phase it in not just throw it at us and see sink or swim.
FootyMad
League Bench Warmer

Postby Micky Conlan » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:17 pm

If you go back to the last 2 seasons EB from 2006 to 2007 would have turned over 18 players, so instead of being middle of the road this year they would have won the wooden spoon by the length of the Nullabour, if it comes in players must stand up for the good of the game!!SAY NO TO THE POINTS SYSTEM ........anyway is anyone in favour of it, except the high and mighty dimmwits.
"lifes a game of inches, inch by inch, play by play"
Micky Conlan
Under 16s

Postby jingles » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:15 pm

I love the passion Mickey.... Say NO to the points system for the health of the GSFL
jingles

Postby Micky Conlan » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:28 am

FM surely most clubs will vote against it (i heard the Creek are all for it) so what can we do player petition? Ive spoken first hand to the "high n mighty" of the leauge and if that is any indications they will move heaven and earth to get it in.Why these same blokes who ruined assocation football now want to ruin the same leauge they love!GSFL is just about to lauch itself into country football stardom,10 team comp,top 5,and nothing in it between the 10 sides,we had a taste for it last year, close footy all season(unlike our neighbours SFL).I just hope we all know this could be the start of a very quick death for the leauge.
How do you go about over throwing the board? Riots? Protest? I am willing to tie myself to a tree somewhere!Just for once they should listen to the players,after all the players do play a small part in what is currently a very good leauge.BRING BACK LOVELOCK SHIELD!!!
Micky Conlan
Under 16s

Postby FootyMad » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:57 am

Micky its fair to say that noone on this forum (GSFL) wants the system to be put in place.
There are a few things that can be done, in order they would be for each person here to first voice their opinion with their club delegate. If need be recruit your team mates to also call him and the coach. Secondly attend the association AGM where the final decision is to be made and demand to be heard? I will be attending the AGM and would appreciate the support thats for sure. If people cant do the above simple things then the system will come into play for 08 and the same people who dont like will be bagging all the while knowing they didnt really try (other than complain) to have it abolished.
Not baggin anyone either, its just that we haveto be proactive or we look like whinging bastards.
Micky you are right, it seriously will jeopardise the league early on which also something some blubs may not recover from.
FootyMad
League Bench Warmer

Postby Micky Conlan » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:40 pm

Whens the AGM? & where
Micky Conlan
Under 16s

Postby LuvsFooty » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:43 pm

It would ant to be soon!! How do you tell players that have already signed that they cant play because of the points sytem?
LuvsFooty
League - Best 21

Postby FootyMad » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:00 pm

There's a delegates meeting being held tonight, it will be a good indicator of which clubs want the system and which ones dont so ring you delegate now, I just rang mine.
FootyMad
League Bench Warmer

Postby limb » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:43 am

After last night's delegates meeting I can tell you that the points system will be coming in. 8 clubs for, 2 clubs against. It still needs to be officially voted on at the AGM though.
limb
Under 18s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy