Northern Areas News

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Northern Areas News

Postby Brad » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:18 pm

Roosters to toughen up under Irvine
Dennis Green

Greg 'Godfrey' Irvine has been appointed senior coach at Crystal Brook Football Club.
Irvine is the most recent premiership coach at the Brook, taking them to the 1992 NAFA title.

During the past 10 years the Roosters have fielded some exceptionally good sides, continually rising from the ashes of a failed season to fight again after losing grand finals in 1997, 98, 99, 2000, 2005 and 2006.

Of today's senior list two players can lay claim to a premiership as members of Irvine's '92 champions, veteran ruckman Damien 'Joel' Head and utility Steve 'Mus' Merkel.

Greg Irvine hasnt coached since 92 but has followed the team around maintaining his presence in the club.

He said his plans for the side included to get them 'a little bit tougher I guess.'

'Just to toughen up a bit mentally,' Irvine said.

'Not so much physically - but mentally tougher - just so that they can go that extra couple of percent they need to get over the line.

'I mean they've proven they are a good enough side to get there every year - they've done that time and time again - but they just don't seem to be able to climb over that last bit.'

The club held a special meeting last night where officials were due to examine in detail the playing list to see who was available and who wasn't. Also on the agenda was the format of the club's pre-season program. 'There's been quite a bit of interest generated by players in Adelaide and a couple in Pirie,' said Irvine.

'So I'm confident we'll have a pretty strong squad. What we've got to do is sit down and look at the players we've got and where they are living.'

One of the problems facing Crystal Brook is that up to half of its players live and work in Adelaide and so organising a properly structured pre-season program can be difficult.

Greg Irvine said the coaching staff will set a program for the players pre-Christmas, which they'll be expected to work to.

'They'll need to be up to standard - put themselves to a standard - before we get to our pre-season games,' Irvine said.

'I'll be throwing it back on them, if you want to play A grade footy this is where you need to be. Our pre-season games are going to start here and if you aren't fit enough to play A grade football then you'll be playing B grade.

'The one's who are keen will do the work and the one's who are lazy wont.'

Other appointments at Crystal Brook are Robin 'Hatfield' O'Dea as assistant coach, Bernie Noonan B grade coach, Joel Head senior colts coach and Phil 'Mad dog' Stevens is junior colts coach.

In other football news, Broughton-Mundoora has reappointed senior coach Brett Ireland for a third term.

The Eagles narrowly missed going back-to-back premiers this year when they were defeated by Orroroo in last month's grand final but they are very keen to have another crack at the shield according to Ireland.

'I guess we'll go into 2008 confident that we'll have the same squad as last year plus the inclusion of two or three new players,' Ireland said.

'I think we'll need to get a bit more consistency in our season next year and win more than seven minor round games, and we'll definitely be looking forward to playing a major part in the finals.'

The club also re-appointed 1988 Mail medallist Peter Sims for a second term as B grade coach.
Brad
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: Crystal Brook

Re: Northern Areas News

Postby wycbloods » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:34 pm

Anyone heard of any recruits in this league as yet.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Dr. Rev. Martin Luther King Jnr.

CoverKing said what?

Agree with AF on this one!
wycbloods
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby silicone skyline » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:50 pm

Waylon Nielsen to Crystal Brook
Ruthless and Relentless
silicone skyline
Coach

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Brad » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:51 am

Matt & Josh Gale both return to Crystal Brook after stints in the SGL.
Brad
League - Best 21

Postby Brad » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:08 pm

Ryan Hoare (Sollies) to Crystal Brook, I will find out who the other recruits are to other clubs in the next few weeks.
Brad
League - Best 21

Postby The Riddler » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:02 pm

Jordan Wilton St Pauls 1st Ruck from last year has gone back to Crystal Brook to play with mates.
The Riddler
League - Top 5

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 29 times

Postby Brad » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:30 am

The latest I've heard:

Liam & Brodie O'dea back to Orroroo
John Nicholas from Orroroo to North Clare (2007 Northern Areas Mail Medalist)
Brad
League - Best 21

Postby Fricky » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:29 pm

Liam Connelly has return to play seniors with Crystal Brook after a few years away from footy. PLayed all his juniors there. i think he has gone back to play with all his old mates who have returned. And his little brother Nick has been pushing an a grade permanent spot atteh Brook, Liam may feel his superiority over his little brother is disappearing and may be out to prove a point
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby jumbo » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:44 pm

Fair bit of talk about the Brook - I see they have won their first few games - anyone care to comment on how they have improved under Godfrey. Has he toughened them up? I hear the Anzac day game at the Chook run was a good day, the local vocalist did a great job for the pre-match celebrations.
jumbo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Two Wells

Postby yeva » Thu May 08, 2008 4:13 pm

jumbo wrote:Fair bit of talk about the Brook - I see they have won their first few games - anyone care to comment on how they have improved under Godfrey. Has he toughened them up? I hear the Anzac day game at the Chook run was a good day, the local vocalist did a great job for the pre-match celebrations.

anyone know who is a contact for the bmw football club???
You win some, you lose some!!!!!
yeva
Rookie

Postby silicone skyline » Thu May 08, 2008 4:29 pm

jumbo wrote:Fair bit of talk about the Brook - I see they have won their first few games - anyone care to comment on how they have improved under Godfrey. Has he toughened them up? I hear the Anzac day game at the Chook run was a good day, the local vocalist did a great job for the pre-match celebrations.

The introduction of a player the quality of Waylon Nielsen would have done the team the world of good.
Ruthless and Relentless
silicone skyline
Coach

Postby jumbo » Thu May 08, 2008 11:38 pm

silicone skyline wrote:

The introduction of a player the quality of Waylon Nielsen would have done the team the world of good.

Is that Willie Jennings' son? Where is he from?
jumbo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Two Wells

Postby silicone skyline » Fri May 09, 2008 10:26 am

I don't know who his dad is, but from memory, I reckon his dad would go by the name "Mr Nielsen".
Ruthless and Relentless
silicone skyline
Coach

Postby the trojan war » Tue May 13, 2008 10:39 pm

jumbo wrote:
silicone skyline wrote:

Is that Willie Jennings' son? Where is he from?

Waylon Neilsen is from Whyalla, played for Roopena for years, one of the best skilled country footballers i've seen.
the trojan war
Rookie

Grassroots Team: Para Hills

Postby silicone skyline » Wed May 14, 2008 12:16 pm

Originally from Kimba i think, played a season there, but yeah, agree, one of the best country footballers I've played alongside and a genuinely good bloke.
Ruthless and Relentless
silicone skyline
Coach

Postby best on hill » Thu May 22, 2008 4:30 pm

went back to kimba in 2004 when his brother coached. good onballer/forward great over head mark for his size and a good lad to go with it.
COWELL FOOTBALL CLUB est.1901
premiers 1902,04,07,22,24,26,27,28,31,32,34,37,38,39,46,50,52,53,54,55,58,59,69(cowell north),96,99,2006,07,09
oldest club on E.P.!
best on hill
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Cowell

Postby the trojan war » Thu May 22, 2008 6:31 pm

He can also play down back. I can recall Fatty Sleep playing him at Centre Half Back back in 2002. Was pretty awsome too. Also can vouch for him being a champion bloke too. Him and Gaz looked after me pretty well back in 2003.
the trojan war
Rookie

Postby Fricky » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:44 pm

With Crystal Brook going so well, it just remains to be seen if they can get over their finals hoo-doo and win the flag for the first time in 15 odd years.

Reckon if they win this year, the flood gates will open and they will win the next 3 or 4.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby silicone skyline » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:15 pm

the trojan war wrote:He can also play down back. I can recall Fatty Sleep playing him at Centre Half Back back in 2002. Was pretty awsome too. Also can vouch for him being a champion bloke too. Him and Gaz looked after me pretty well back in 2003.

We talking about Garry Taylor?
Ruthless and Relentless
silicone skyline
Coach

Postby the trojan war » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:17 pm

silicone skyline wrote:
the trojan war wrote:He can also play down back. I can recall Fatty Sleep playing him at Centre Half Back back in 2002. Was pretty awsome too. Also can vouch for him being a champion bloke too. Him and Gaz looked after me pretty well back in 2003.

We talking about Garry Taylor?

Yep. The big G mate!!
the trojan war
Rookie

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy