HFL Division 2 (Country)

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: HFL Division 2 (Country)

Postby Toto » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:30 am

I would say that the top 3 is pretty much dead even. All 3 don't lose at home. So won't have any advantage come finals.
Kersbrook have the experience and the old heads, nairne seem to be very well drilled and structured and we know how quick the move the ball, Bridgey seem to be super consistent and have McDonald and his left boot! And birdwood are nipping at the heels of all of them! Even money I would say, who ever has the healthiest list will grab the advantage. All 3 reserves teams are playing finals too, so there's depth! Makes for an interesting post season!!!
Toto
Under 16s

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby wazzal77 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:40 am

Like the observations you make Toto. Having the best team on the park in finals time is always key and an advantage..

Are any of the Clubs likely to want to move to Div 1 in 2017? Or are they happy to continue being successful in the Div 2 comp?
wazzal77
Rookie

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 23 times

Postby wonder_kid » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:14 pm

I think nairne would be the only one to want to go up
wonder_kid
Under 18s

Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 46 times

Postby 19thman » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:03 am

So how are the ovals as we edge closer to finals? Can't imagine too many have held up well.
In regards to grand final, would it be safe to assume it'll be at Maccy this year? Kersbrook holds up well and I don't think it's rained in Callington for 26 years but both are a chance at being in the grand final. Can't imagine too many other ovals are of a high enough standard.
Saw a video of Nairne oval after the rain! Bring an oxygen tank...
Of all times, it probably would be handy to have Sedan still in the league... at least their oval holds up pretty well.
19thman

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Keefy » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:01 pm

19thman wrote:So how are the ovals as we edge closer to finals? Can't imagine too many have held up well.
In regards to grand final, would it be safe to assume it'll be at Maccy this year? Kersbrook holds up well and I don't think it's rained in Callington for 26 years but both are a chance at being in the grand final. Can't imagine too many other ovals are of a high enough standard.
Saw a video of Nairne oval after the rain! Bring an oxygen tank...
Of all times, it probably would be handy to have Sedan still in the league... at least their oval holds up pretty well.

Yet the following night there was no sign of water on Nairne oval at all.

There was a pic posted on the club's facebook page
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 182 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby B&F » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:29 pm

I would be of the assumption if Kangy holds up the Grand Final will be back there again, they normally share it around Macclesfield is prob the best oval to take in premium $$$$ for the HFL due to the size... But Kangy was still packed last year.

Whilst Nairne oval may have looked perfect the next day.... I would say no one stepped foot on the oval as they would have sank around 2 feet into the ground!!!!!!!!!
B&F

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby RAMS » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:50 pm

B&F wrote:I would be of the assumption if Kangy holds up the Grand Final will be back there again, they normally share it around Macclesfield is prob the best oval to take in premium $$$$ for the HFL due to the size... But Kangy was still packed last year.

Whilst Nairne oval may have looked perfect the next day.... I would say no one stepped foot on the oval as they would have sank around 2 feet into the ground!!!!!!!!!

All the teams training on it tonight and the lads said it was quite firm under foot considering the rain and flooding we've had.
RAMS

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Toto » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:32 pm

So with kersbrook running over the top of Bridgewater in the last quarter it has pretty much sealed the ladder barring a huge upset some where.
Nairne will finish top
Bridgewater
Kersbrook
Birdwood
Meadows.

Identical to last year apart from meadows taking the place of maccy.
Who are everyone's tips for the flag now?
Have nairne learned from their hiccup last year?
Do Bridgey have the cattle outside their top 6-7 players?
Are Kersbrook finally going to slide?
Can Birdwood shake things up?
And are meadows just making up the numbers or can they go further than the first week?

My tip.
Nairne v Bridgewater grand final. Too close to call. Less than a goal either way!
Toto
Under 16s

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:47 pm

Toto wrote:So with kersbrook running over the top of Bridgewater in the last quarter it has pretty much sealed the ladder barring a huge upset some where.
Nairne will finish top
Bridgewater
Kersbrook
Birdwood
Meadows.

And are meadows just making up the numbers or can they go further than the first week?

My tip.
Nairne v Bridgewater grand final. Too close to call. Less than a goal either way!

Kersbrook completely outplayed us in the last quarter yesterday and a few home truths were spoken after the game. Hopefully we'll bounce back this week in the Courier Cup Final against Nairne at Callington.

However, I'm not as sure as you as to who will finish 3rd. There's only minor percentage difference between Kersbrook and Birdwood, with Birdwood arguably having the two easier games to finish (courtesy of a very soft draw from the HFL). I think there's a good chance that Birdwood might still get there.
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Bridgewater

Postby Toto » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:09 am

Elmer J Thudpucker wrote:
Toto wrote:So with kersbrook running over the top of Bridgewater in the last quarter it has pretty much sealed the ladder barring a huge upset some where.
Nairne will finish top
Bridgewater
Kersbrook
Birdwood
Meadows.

My tip.

Kersbrook completely outplayed us in the last quarter yesterday and a few home truths were spoken after the game. Hopefully we'll bounce back this week in the Courier Cup Final against Nairne at Callington.

However, I'm not as sure as you as to who will finish 3rd. There's only minor percentage difference between Kersbrook and Birdwood, with Birdwood arguably having the two easier games to finish (courtesy of a very soft draw from the HFL). I think there's a good chance that Birdwood might still get there.

Yeah right! Internal issues at raider land?
I thought kersbrook had it sealed. Obviously I'm wrong.
I agree 100% birdwood have a very soft draw. If Connolly wins the goal kicking it's a tad unfair to the other blokes up there, Mitchell has had to play nairne and kersbrook 3 times each. So there's 6 games where Connolly gets to beat up on the lower teams and Mitchell has quality opposition. And Connolly hasn't kicked many against nairne and Bridgey to my knowledge.
Same goes with medal votes, although a good player will get votes no matter who the opposition is, you have an advantage if you're playing gumeracha and kangy 3 times each. Just my opinion.
Toto
Under 16s

Postby Elmer J Thudpucker » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:26 pm

Toto wrote:
Yeah right! Internal issues at raider land?.

No, the post match discussion was constructive but honest. All players know what's required, and acknowledged that effort in the final quarter was not acceptable.

Hopefully the Courier Cup final will see some key players return to the line-up, and a renewed commitment in the lead up to the finals.
Elmer J Thudpucker
Rookie

Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Bridgewater

Postby wonder_kid » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:48 pm

Yeah right! Internal issues at raider land?
I thought kersbrook had it sealed. Obviously I'm wrong.
I agree 100% birdwood have a very soft draw. If Connolly wins the goal kicking it's a tad unfair to the other blokes up there, Mitchell has had to play nairne and kersbrook 3 times each. So there's 6 games where Connolly gets to beat up on the lower teams and Mitchell has quality opposition. And Connolly hasn't kicked many against nairne and Bridgey to my knowledge.
Same goes with medal votes, although a good player will get votes no matter who the opposition is, you have an advantage if you're playing gumeracha and kangy 3 times each. Just my opinion.[/quote]

On the flip side of that its not really fair that we have to play 3 of the top 4 teams 3 times either !
wonder_kid
Under 18s

Postby B&F » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:33 pm

I know its so unfair... especially when you get to the finals and then have to play ALL the top sides.... :-({|= :-({|= :-({|=
B&F

Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Mt Barker

Postby wonder_kid » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:47 pm

Yes i agree still have to beat the top sides come finals but our footy club is trying to rebuild to be a contender ! I just think if it remains a 8 team comp 5-8 play each other 3 times and 1-4 play each other 3 teams. It will help the bottom 4 win a few more games to be able to attract better players which then makes the comp a better comp in the long run.
wonder_kid
Under 18s

Postby doubletrouble » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:29 pm

Who's everyone's tips for the male medal this year?
I'm going with ryan mcgahey from nairne to win comfortably.
doubletrouble
Rookie

Been liked: 7 times

Postby wonder_kid » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:31 pm

Mcdonald from bridgey will be up there
wonder_kid
Under 18s

Postby Grumpy Old B » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:50 am

Ryan McGahey for mine also Doubletrouble, has been consistently in their best players and is a proven vote winner
Not so sure about John Mac although also a proven vote getter but mainly against the bottom sides. Put a bit of pressure on him and he falls to pieces.
Just ask Beefy and his boys as they can ruffle his feathers then he looses the plot
Grumpy Old B

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby Toto » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:29 pm

I'm gonna with Mcgahey as well. Super consistent, and wins all his footy right under the umpires nose.
Toto
Under 16s

Postby wonder_kid » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:41 pm

Surely the birdwood ruckman will poll well played bottom 4 sides 3 times as well
wonder_kid
Under 18s

Postby The Gimp » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:04 pm

wonder_kid wrote:Surely the birdwood ruckman will poll well played bottom 4 sides 3 times as well

He didn't play against Kangy on the weekend.
Unless you're talking about Jock McLeay - but he's not the ruckman.
The Gimp
Reserves

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Birdwood

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy